Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Interview with Brian Mitsoda about Dead State

Thomas: Please describe “Dead State” shortly in your own words. What were your inspirations?

Brian: Dead State was our attempt to adapt The Wind in the Willows into an RPG. We took some liberties and ended up with a game that is a lot more like the original Dawn of the Dead, meaning a focus on how humans deal with major upheaval in the natural order of things. We made the game with a threadbare budget of $300k, which is almost nothing for an RPG.

Our budget shaped a lot of what we could and couldn’t do in the game, but overall we stayed pretty true to the original vision presented in the Kickstarter, which is to say that we have a huge map, dozens of allies, branching dialogues, a morale/crisis system that impacts the sub-leaders and interactions, character development with multiple skills and perks, survival-based gameplay, and a story that captures a lot of the bleakness and desperation of the zombie genre. It was physically and mentally destructive to develop – please play it if you have the chance!

Thomas: What is the current state of “Dead State”? In your opinion, is the game now completely finished? Will there be more content from your side?

Brian: Dead State: Reanimated is probably going to be the last significant update to the game, aside from a few minor fixes. We’ve never charged for DLC and the downside to that for us is that the game doesn’t generate the money to sustain months of developing new content. After years of developing Dead State, the DoubleBear team is ready to move on to our next game.​

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Can anyone recommend a decent build for my character? I remember speccing for ranged weapons the first time I played it (when it was released) and found guns pretty impractical. I also remember the group slowly withering because I had no new updates or quests.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can anyone recommend a decent build for my character? I remember speccing for ranged weapons the first time I played it (when it was released) and found guns pretty impractical. I also remember the group slowly withering because I had no new updates or quests.
I'd say do whatever you want, but clearly that didn't work out. Can't go wrong with Strength and Melee.

Observer

Educated
I don't know why people so negative about the game. I have more fun than wasteland or dragonfall.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing this and I am about a month or so in...pretty simple (not playing iron man mode or anything), and once I got the horses it made exploration MUCH easier. Never had to ration or any unhappy members (except the abortion bitch.) Is there a way to get rid of people from the shelter? Also, is there a way to turn off the cycling of every fucking zombie on the map in combat, even when they aren't engaged? It makes the military bases and such drag ass for ages.

I feel like I fucked up by making a melee-focused dude, though; he's pretty much relegated to zombie whacker with his bushhook now.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
In the past month, Annie worked to update the wiki, and with the tireless help of the community, have created or updated the following:

* All ally entries (including the Ally Gallery, including new stuff for Lightning, Pepper, Samm, and Smoky)
* Weapons (including thrown and named)
* Weapon Classes (updated with details from manual)
* Food values
* Weapon Abilities (updated with Alternate Attacks)
* Luxury Item values
* Armor (added Shades/Vintage Bike Helmet/Police Hat, added definitions for special attributes like "Bulky" and "Dodge")
* NPCs (including details on factions, and in-depth details on foes like Marshall Streeter, Lt. Adair, and others)
* Named Enemies
* Status Effects
* Undead Plague

Basically - every value for food/luxury/weapon/armor items should be up-to-date for Reanimated values, and every ally should not only have fully details for their events but also stats and their skill progression path. Enjoy! :)

agris

Arcane
Patron
Hey Elhoim, did the
abortion quest get updated in the Reanimated edition to allow us to decline her / rat her out?

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
I feel like I fucked up by making a melee-focused dude, though; he's pretty much relegated to zombie whacker with his bushhook now.
Sorry if that was bad advice ... but isn't zombie whacking a good thing? :|

Haha, it is okay. It's just that the zombies are pretty easy to kill with melee weapons, even with average strength and melee. Now that I am fighting more of those Coyote guys, he tends to just sit at the back and heal people.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Haha, it is okay. It's just that the zombies are pretty easy to kill with melee weapons, even with average strength and melee. Now that I am fighting more of those Coyote guys, he tends to just sit at the back and heal people.

Try to make good use of the weapons especial attacks.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Try to make good use of the weapons especial attacks.

Yeah - I haven't played the updated version of the game, but my melee guy was constantly charging up to doods and stunning them with a baseball bat.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Only problem is next turn all of the baddies focus fire on him and melt him. Much easier to stay at a distance and pick them off/abuse the enemy mechanic of moving max tiles toward you instead of just enough to get into range.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
You can find them on zombies.

Arrows, that is. I found a few bows on survivors.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom