Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Unwanted
Shitposter
Nazi death cult center of jew medicine avoidance
They must be doing something to further their career and this project is not gonna do it.

They always seemed a little too much "in the scene" like a lot of indies. I am not surprised to see a lot of butthurting going on from some people.

I initially thought it was a stupid idea, but I love the show The Walking Dead so I have been re-examining the game. Unfortunately looks like it's kind of DOA.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Claiming that the devs are no longer involved. Fucking hell, I get Codex edgy and even the occasional stupidity but this is something else. What's more is that the whining seems to once again be coming from those who haven't even played the game. I have, and while it isn't as polished as it can be, it is a fun and highly atmospheric game. Looking forward to the discussions when this is actually released.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Claiming that the devs are no longer involved. Fucking hell, I get Codex edgy and even the occasional stupidity but this is something else. What's more is that the whining seems to once again be coming from those who haven't even played the game. I have, and while it isn't as polished as it can be, it is a fun and highly atmospheric game. Looking forward to the discussions when this is actually released.

Unless theres a miracle patch on the horizon to fix the game before release, i doubt the "word of mouth" will be positive enough to get sales going post launch.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
You actually tried the game, Kem0sabe?

I downloaded the latest steam version a few days ago to try it out before deciding to buy it or not, felt and played much worse than AoD despite the fact that it will be released before the latter.

I was expecting some interesting C&C choices and characters from a zombie survival rpg, as the zombie genre is more about human interaction than killing zombies for me, but the PC is largely forgettable, with ridiculous dialogues, the other characters and world design are mostly barebones. Combat is not that bad tho, but not enough.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
World design is to me a powerful plus. I love how many maps tell a little story. Crashed cars, blood trails, calls for help painted on walls of buildings overrun with zombies. Highly atmospheric and with the deadliness of combat it makes exploring quite exciting. Combat is indeed fun, especially now that zombies are once again becoming a big threat. Conversations can be done much better. At least now you can run into actual conversations while on the road. I was honestly not that hopeful when I played it, but was surprised nicely by how much I enjoyed the whole exploration thing. Then again, I always love exploration.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Some people expected too much from this game. If Mitsoda is involved, it doesn't mean that it is going to be next Bloodlines. In fact, it was quite obvious from the start that he wanted to make a survival sim or whatever is it called. Writing wasn't a priority. I think it was a big mistake because Brian *can* write and good writing could be a major selling point of this game, but it is seems it is too late to change now.

I don't buy it. I think they have long ago given the project to other people when it was clear that it was becoming a failure.
Nah, I think it's the other way around - probably both Malkavian dialogue and other Mitsoda's parts in VtM:B were the result either of some unnamed interns' work, or, more realistically, as Roguey have said — a good editor's (gah, Roguey, why must you be so reasonable lately?).

Also, does anybody have scoop on that Alpha Protocol conflict, in which Mitsoda was involved and then left? It would be interesting if it concerned writing.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I don't buy it. I think they have long ago given the project to other people when it was clear that it was becoming a failure.
Nah, I think it's the other way around - probably both Malkavian dialogue and other Mitsoda's parts in VtM:B were the result either of some unnamed interns' work, or, more realistically, as Roguey have said — a good editor's (gah, Roguey, why must you be so reasonable lately?).

I've come to the opinion making games is like making music. Put certain people together at a certain time in their lives and you get amazing results. Age them a little, put them with other people and you get mud.

Also, does anybody have scoop on that Alpha Protocol conflict, in which Mitsoda was involved and then left? It would be interesting if it concerned writing.

From the discussion I saw here (probably Roguey trolling), Brian submitted a design and Chris sent it back marked not enough choices and consequences. Brian redid it and Chris said the same thing. Brian got mad and quit. Probably more to it than that, but who cares?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Right.
I always have a couple of people on hand ready to take over and finalize everything I judge a failure.
Plus, it's a great opportunity for them. Everyone wants to be associated with my failures, especially if I go down for them.

Multi-headed Cow

I downloaded the latest steam version a few days ago to try it out before deciding to buy it or not, felt and played much worse than AoD despite the fact that it will be released before the latter.

I was expecting some interesting C&C choices and characters from a zombie survival rpg, as the zombie genre is more about human interaction than killing zombies for me, but the PC is largely forgettable, with ridiculous dialogues, the other characters and world design are mostly barebones. Combat is not that bad tho, but not enough.
Pretty much my experience too. Decided to poke at the EA version a bit since I already did the same for AoD. Unless version 1.0 sprinkles pixie dust over everything it'll be a fairly big letdown. At the moment it kinda feels like a less tense turn based Fort Zombie and about as busted. Less random open world exploration too, no heading to a gun shop that was on your map only to find a butcher on the way and get enough ham for a week. There are random encounters on the world map and you can find locations by walking over them, but then you get dumped into a tee-tiny little map with 3-4 buildings, with things like hallways only wide enough for a single person and no diagonal movement so if someone is sitting in the intersection of a T hallway you can't get past him in the giant open space.

I am hoping for the pixie dust though 'cause even if the writing remains as boring as the EA version, the base management stuff could be fun. Like a half-assed indie zombie Xcom.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

tinfoilhat-33779.jpg

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I definitely recall Brian saying he wrote the Malkavian dialogue near the end of the project while crunching hard. I'm not going to link to it because I'm pretty sure it was from a RPS interview and fuck them.

Yes. :)
http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...ly-access-available.72705/page-5#post-2123756
There's one of AP's designers slamming Brian and Annie's writing. Wow, page 5 of a 56 page megathread. So long ago.

http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...-fucked-by-bethesda.70294/page-9#post-2016997
And there's the email from Chris from even further back.

I definitely recall Brian saying he wrote the Malkavian dialogue near the end of the project while crunching hard. I'm not going to link to it because I'm pretty sure it was from a RPS interview and fuck them.

I remember him talking about writing Malkavians' dialogue, it wasn't only in RPS though, also in this guy's blog and some others, too.
GO9Pkye.png

Also he must've talked with some site before RPS, because I definitely remember reading about Bloodlines production and dialogues before them.

Yes. :)
http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...ly-access-available.72705/page-5#post-2123756
There's one of AP's designers slamming Brian and Annie's writing. Wow, page 5 of a 56 page megathread. So long ago.

http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...-fucked-by-bethesda.70294/page-9#post-2016997
And there's the email from Chris from even further back.
:excellent:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Haha Brian talking about wanting to depict mental illness closer to reality is funny, considering that long twitter rant I'm fond of posting

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I've played it a little, too, and concur that the characters are forgettable, the dialogues are ridiculous, and it all feels very barebones. I would go further, though, and say that the combat engine sucks, too. Hand to hand weapons should have a first-strike interrupt against zombies. Nothing like having a zombie go first in combat and just slowly shuffle over to you and bite your shoulder while you just stand around in the open waiting.

I can't think of anything that I liked about the game.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Elhoim
right, i'm gonna list everything, cos i have to go area to area anyways.
nitpicks:
-if lightning and pepper can chew up zombies and looters for breakfast, they should be assignable to the guard duty job
-would be cool if the car had a trunk or horses had saddlebags you could carry additional stuff in
-chainmail is so incredibly easy to make, both the makeshift and the more professional kind, that it requiring a sci lab and a much higher sci skill than antibiotics in the game is an instant suspension of disbelief killer.... should just cost parts, require tools/workshop, and a lot (and i do mean a lot) of time
-scroll bar on the survivor list on job board would be nice, considering how friggin many there are
-unique weapons like hackjob should show up in the uniques tab, imo. scrolling the weapons list to find them is annoying

typos
- after you pick oscar up, the next day he thanks you and one of the responses is "she'll need antibiotics for now on.

bugs:
-chicken required for chicken scoop, but without chicken scoop, chickens get killed for meat when brought to base
-when picking doors with lockpick, your cursor becomes a lockpick, if you move it onto corpses or other stuff afterwards, they are unlootable, and the cursor cannot be changed with the right button (have to target friendly, switch to a different cursor like trade, and all is good again). that is pretty annoying
-when picking doors that aren't close with lockpick in combat, your char will run to the door, unlike any other action which will just say that you are too far
-characters sometimes decide to join the party despite not being part of it or even having other duties. this has been happening since the first week demo. it also happens when you're already at party limit (i had a 5 people +1 wild dog party when attacking coyote hq because the televangelist who happened to fall sick that day and whom i've given the day off showed up for some reason too (this caused the wild dog to spawn on the same tile as my char, though there were no issues walking around, the last character's inventory also didn't update weight properly in the trade window, always showing 0.0 lbs, though it was still limited properly)
-location labels near right map border get cut off
-probably related to the chars joining party randomly: after killing the coyotes in coyote hq, marshall, sweaty dave, a coyote enforcer and a coyote brawler got added to my party on top of my own 4 chars and the wild dog the next day (which was the day regina happened to tell me where the hq that i already cleared is)... running the entire day around with a party of 9... wtf. overwrote the save, though, so only have screenies. the pathfinding issues that group caused made the game stutter a fucking lot until i disabled party following, and it causes a lot of issues with group portraits (sometimes displaying the default brian guy from the 7 days demo with 100/100hp, a red hp bar, and a gray border around the portrait area and db counter, not displaying any other portraits) and a lot of crashes when switching to other party members or opening inventories...
-fiona likes to say stuff like "i'll make you proud <charname!>". the exclamation mark in the bark seems to break the translation to the actual charname.
-sara and mia from pleasant oaks cannot be recruited via asking ben for permission. after asking ben, sara just displays the starting dialogue again
-equipping a consumable item like enrgy drinks, then using it via double instead of single click on a character that is not right next to you will crash the game because it tries to use the item consumed by the first click a second time.

map issues:
- trailer park: (with tornado survivor) the living containers are buried in the earth, instead of just being thrown on the sides
- pleasant library: some issues with floor tile coloring during combat in the small library building
- truck stop: one of the double doors in the bison building doesn't clear properly, the backdoor to the diner is indestructible and unpickable. that's just friggin stupid... just obstruct it with some furniture, like all other doors that are supposed to be impassable.
-old neighborhood: unconnected stairs in both buildings, no looting nodes.
-chunk bros factory: tough looter standing on a blocked door tile where the storage sheds/garages/whatever are.. that door cannot be opened until he is knocked down (which is when he becomes untargetable until the door is opened) or killed because it always says you're too far from all the adjacent tiles
-INDSupplyWarehouse: stairs from lower to upper level of warehouse are connected, but not the other way round. additionally, when you are on the upper level and go to the half-level on the stairs near the entrance, the roof blends in again.
-cabin in the woods: misaligned store interior with store exterior, no looting spots
-lampasas shelter: one of the zombie types is simply named d
-gated community: no loot spots
-isolated gas station: no loot spots, the cash counter in the taco place does not obstruct/people run through it
-COMAirstrip: unfinished map
-INDSupplyWarehouse2: the exit opposite the road is blocked by a locked gate that cannot be picked because the spot it is pickable from is unreachable, making the exit entirely obsolete
-120 rest stop: front double doors to the bison don't clear (one of the farmhouses in the vicinity also doesn't change light to reflect time of day properly, but i forgot which)
-dublin bar: no loot
-serpent street: one of the houses has an impassable tile right in front of the locked front door, for no reason.
-old general store: the backdoor to the building that has a front door blocked by a car does not clear.
-residential block: no enemies, stairs not connected
-old army base: stairs not connected, no loot points, one of the watchtowers has the impassable tile in front of the ladder, not behind it
-COMTheShops: there's a wall that doesn't obstruct in one of the small backrooms in the bargain owl, right next to the double backdoor, the white clothing shop adjoined to tastee ted's family restaurant is missing a chunk of the model from a back corner, so you can look inside from the outside, but not the other way round
-RESCircleOfDeath01: unfinished map, no doors and so on, additionally the house closest to where you enter (and the other one of the same type) does not display combat grid on the inside
-the equestrian stables: it's always day here, even if you visit at night (i think all the farms have that problem)
-upscale shopping plaza: always day
-diamondback hardware:passable wall tile in the office building right next to entry point

also, one of the random maps that triggers near shelter.. one with a fenced road, some car wrecks and a few zombies has a female zombie beyond the fence, and thus unreachable.

Fixed most of the bugs for the upcoming patch, especially the map ones.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/70755535/dead-state-the-zombie-survival-rpg/posts/1058006

This is it - the final patch to Dead State's Early Access Beta! Patch #5 is bursting at the seams with features and fixes, including many requested or suggested by YOU, the Dead State community. Now, while we’re giving you lots to chew on today, we want to remind you that this isn’t the final game - endings are being reserved for the final release, and there will still be many improvements coming before the final launch. In other words, there's still plenty to look forward to! With our upcoming release in mind, we’ll be updating the Known Issues post later today, so make sure to check there first before reporting bugs; that will help keep the forums and boards laser-focused on tracking brand new issues. Thanks so much for all your assistance, you guys are awesome!

Here's the full changelog and announcement: Patch #5 Changelog

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
hm, not sure if to test it and list bugs again or wait until release....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom