Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wonder if this will collide with PoE's release. I only need one big RPG to play this Fall, preferably the less buggy one.
Fall's very likely going to mean early December. With the state it's in now and the size of the team, October's definitely out.

imweasel

The game was updated a few hours ago with a new patch (120 MB).

Hi everyone,

The second patch to the Dead State Early Access Beta is now live! This week comes with a lot of content-side work - new levels, new allies added to the world, more dialogues, new crisis events, and more loot, among other things.

For our next patch, we plan to include major AI improvements, healing system changes, horses and cats, and a boatload of new content, among other things. I hope you're excited!

We know we've been quiet on the forums and Steam lately; everyone's working around the clock trying to push out more frequent patches with more features, content, and fixes, so the time flies by before we even realize it. We really appreciate that everyone's continuing to report their issues on Steam and on the Dead State forums. Though we may not always comment, we're still reading your feedback and using it to guide our priorities for each patch. Thanks for all your help!

Beta Patch #2 Changelog

Added unloading weapon ammo, as per popular request!
Added a few missing traits and perks
Fixed and updated existing traits and perks
Added dialogues and scripting for various faction encounters
Added loot to several existing levels
Added combat to several existing levels
Added props to several existing levels
Added several new levels
Added code to hide conditional maps until conditions are met
Added more PC character models
Added new crisis events
Added variation to panic behaviors depending on character
Added Memorial Wall and Suggestion Box content
Added a couple more fence attackers
Added new icons for job board tasks and armors
Fixed a bug where transferring items crashed the game
Fixed a crash that occurred when a character panicked with med. satchel in item slot 2
Fixed a crash that occurred when pushing characters back with two-handed weapons
Fixed a soft lock that sometimes occurred where characters would endlessly heal during panic
Fixed an issue where you could trade with neutral NPCs
Fixed a couple bugs with leadership commands
Fixed an issue involving item destruction + duplication occurring from panic
Fixed issues with loot containers on several levels
Fixed issues with ‘ghosts’ appearing
Fixed some issues with building models
Fixed an issue where KOed allies would follow the currently-controlled character
Balanced carry weight values
Balanced walking speed on area map
http://steamcommunity.com/app/239840/discussions/0/616189742709012610/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/70755535/dead-state-the-zombie-survival-rpg/posts/1004435

Beta Patch #2 Released

Hi everyone,

The second patch to the Dead State Beta is now live! This week comes with a lot of content-side work - new levels, new allies added to the world, more dialogues, new crisis events, and more loot, among other things.

For our next patch, we plan to include major AI improvements, healing system changes, and a boatload of new content, among other things. I hope you're excited!

We know we've been quiet on the forums and Steam lately; everyone's working around the clock trying to push out more frequent patches with more features, content, and fixes, so the time flies by before we even realize it. We really appreciate that everyone's continuing to report their issues on Steam and on the Dead State forums. Though we may not always comment, we're still reading your feedback and using it to guide our priorities for each patch. Thanks for all your help!

Beta Patch #2 Changelog
Added unloading weapon ammo, as per popular request!
Added a few missing traits and perks
Fixed and updated existing traits and perks
Added dialogues and scripting for various faction encounters
Added loot to several existing levels
Added combat to several existing levels
Added props to several existing levels
Added several new levels
Added new crisis events
Added code to hide conditional maps until conditions are met
Added more PC character models
Added variation to panic behaviors depending on character
Added Memorial Wall and Suggestion Box content
Added a couple more fence attackers
Added new icons for job board tasks and armors
Fixed a bug where transferring items crashed the game
Fixed a crash that occurred when a character panicked with med. satchel in item slot 2
Fixed a crash that occurred when pushing characters back with two-handed weapons
Fixed a soft lock that sometimes occurred where characters would endlessly heal during panic Fixed an issue where you could trade with neutral NPCs
Fixed a couple bugs with leadership commands
Fixed an issue involving item destruction + duplication occurring from panic
Fixed issues with loot containers on several levels
Fixed issues with ‘ghosts’ appearing
Fixed some issues with building models
Fixed an issue where KOed allies would follow the currently-controlled character
Balanced carry weight values
Balanced walking speed on area map

Enjoy!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,4828.msg122617.html#msg122617

Brian Mitsoda sez
We're adding content and fixes rapidly now. Once your basic systems and framework are in (and they work), it's much easier to add or fix content. The only limitation for us right now is the size of the team and requiring time away from the keyboard to take care of all those annoying chores that help maintain the human body.

Not sure Annie would be pleased to hear you saying "marriage maintenance is a chore".

:troll:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Having a lot of fun with the new build. They've cleaned up a lot of the little annoyances that were in the earlier builds, added some much needed convenience features, generally made it easier to get into.

Combat can get really intense and fun when you are dealing with both zombies and opposing survivors. Breaking into a building and getting ambushed by scavengers, then the gunshots during the fight attract a horde of zombies and a three way fight ensues; since the zombies and scavengers will fight amongst each other, you can maneuver the zombies to your gain...then find out that the scavengers killed by zombies come back as zombies.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,4867.msg122893.html#msg122893

As you may know, we've been updating the build pretty quickly these days. We've been finishing up the last tasks on our plates, closing out bugs, and figuring out the priorities for the polish stage. We're finally getting to the point where we are looking at a definite time period for release and we will be announcing a release date soon. However, as Early Access/indie titles tend to be overlooked by press - especially in a season full of major AAA releases - we really need your help to get the word out about Dead State. To build awareness for the release this year, any word of mouth you can generate will help build buzz that will make our eventual launch a lot more successful and allow us to continue to work on fixes and expanded content in the future.

Here are some of the things you can do to help us get the word out:

-Post about us or link to our 2014 trailer or our eventual release date announcement on Twitter, Facebook, etc.
-Discuss or recommend Dead State on game forums. If someone hasn't played since the 7 Days build, let them know how much the game has changed. Remember to emphasize that we're not just another "kill zombies" game. Please be mindful of forum rules and basic courtesy.
-If you like the game, review the EA build on Steam. The more positive reviews we have at launch, the higher the interest from new players.
-Add us to your Steam wishlist if you haven't bought the game already.

With all the holiday releases coming out this year, it's going to be easy for our game to be overlooked. Remember, we're a group of ten developers with a small budget - we don't have a dedicated PR team or even a PR person. Every bit of attention we get right now is because of positive word of mouth. Additionally, with all the negativity about Kickstarter projects lately, many players have written off Kickstarter and Early Access titles completely - we need to make sure that people understand that we have not abandoned development and that we are releasing the game this year. With your help, we can help reach a greater amount of potential players and gaming press, and that's a good thing for Dead State and DoubleBear's continued operation. (And no, don't worry, we're not close to closing up shop or anything, but a successful launch gives us a lot more freedom on future projects.)

Now, as for the patch, we intend to (hopefully) have another patch out this week, and it's another content-heavy patch. Here's a few things to look forward to:

-Fixes for many of the major dialogue freezes (Aimee, Corbeau).
-New Crisis Events.
-25 new random encounters, some that are reactive to attacking factions.
-Wounded system - if you've played Jagged Alliance, it will seem familiar, but starting with the next patch, healing will create wounded HP that can only be healed with time/infirmary treatment. This feature was supposed to go in at beta, but slipped back a bit due to other priorities.
-Additional balance to weapons, melee special attacks, and certain stat effects (carry weight adjusted up again).
-Additional areas with loot passes.
-Additional system and bug fixes.

As of right now, we have a few other additions that might make it, but I don't want to promise them yet as they haven't been 100% tested yet (*cough* horses *cough*). As I'm writing this on Sunday, you might be able to infer that we're working overtime to get Dead State into the best shape we can. We want the game to be as polished and bug-free as possible at release, so keep that feedback coming in - we appreciate the dedication of our Beta players in helping us track down these issues. Okay - back to work for me. Thanks for your continued support and remember to spread the word about Dead State!

This game is gonna kick W2's and PoE's butt.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I've progressed further, and they have definitely added a ton since I last played. It goes beyond the first seven days now (this is probably obvious to some, but I haven't been keeping up with the patch notes), and I have met about 5 additional companions. They've expanded what you can do with improvements to the school: like tiered upgrades for defenses, various facilities which allow you to make weapons, armor, drugs, etc, moral and stat boosting facilities, and so on. Some of these don't currently work in the beta, but it opens up a lot of possibilities fro some good base management gameplay. They've also added more opportunities for skill use and a perk system (you can choose between two perks once you reach certain levels in a skill).

I guess I'll mark the rest in spoilers since it's about the non-zombie stuff you encounter:

I've encountered what seems to be an opposing survivor faction, called the Coyotes. At the moment they are hostile on contact and I haven't seen any opportunity to talk with them; they do give some needed variety to the combat, and fighting them is quite tough since they are usually armed with decent ranged weapons and armor. Two shots from most firearms can take down one of your lightly armored companions, or you, so positioning becomes important - initiating combat from inside a building while they are outside, so you can shoot from cover and ambush them with melee when they come in, and so on. Also using the zombies to your advantage can be very effective, provided you keep the zombies at a distance. I've also seen humans fighting other humans.

Resources haven't been that big of a concern so far, sometimes you will come across areas that have so much food and luxury items that you will actually have to leave some behind; currently there doesn't seem to be a penalty for leaving stuff behind, so you can just go back the next day and get the remaining items, but having the stuff you left behind get snapped up by opposing factions could be a nice, challenging element.

The writing for all the companions I've encountered is very sparse. I actually like the realness of the writing. It lacks the character of the writing in VTMB, for sure, but if you liked the modern, real-world feeling of the writing and atmosphere of VTMB (in contrast to the usual melodramatic, long winded dialogues of most RPGs) this game comes close to that. They definitely need to more of it though, as it is you only have like 5 dialogue options with character at home base, and they do not seem to ever change; although, at the start of the new day you will sometimes be presented with a request or a complaint from a companion, and how you respond can affect their moral and other stuff. In one of these situations I was actually able to determine the skill build of a companion through a dialogue choice, which is neat.

I did have one interesting C&C encounter in dialogue though: early on in the game one of my companions, Joel, a cop, died while we were scavenging, and I decided to not reload a save; later on another cop arrived at the home base, and finding out about Joel's death he used it against me when he challenged me for leadership of the survivors.

I've also had one dialogue where an additional choice was available because of my high leadership skill, but I'm unsure if previous dialogues and story encounters were affected by the stat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
agentorange Glad to hear the game is shaping up. Maybe it's time for somebody to come up with a Codex Curation text (although I'll probably wait for a few more positive opinions before adding it, for the sake of consensus)

I'm honestly too stupid and lazy to read this 51 page thread - so requesting some spoonfeeding.

Is this worth purchasing and playing right now, or should I wait for more updates?

Depends on your preferences. If managing your resources to amass items, scavenging in XCOM like small maps with exploration & deadly combat, and managing a permanent base with upgrades and story moments with your characters in a persistent open world sounds good, then it is absolutely worth checking EA and supporting the team.

It is still pretty rough but gives you a good feel of what the releasd game will be.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://steamcommunity.com/app/239840/discussions/0/619568192943673344/

Beta Patch #3 Live!
The third patch to the Dead State Early Access Beta is now live! This update features substantial improvements to the combat system and introduces a new 'wounded' mechanic to healing, as well as fixes for several long-standing bugs and exploits, a bunch of new random encounters, fixes and improvements to AI, functionality for the adrenaline shot and other one-use items, and many other things.

Animals need some more work before they are ready, so they're not included in this patch.

Beta Patch #3 Changelog

Added twenty-five new random encounters
Added functionality to adrenaline shot, Stuporax, Soothinum, and Flashback
Reworked healing system and wounded status
Improved AI: fixed the endless combat round issue
Improved AI: fixed undead ‘sleeping’ during combat
Adjusted Leadership Commands: all players now start game with the “Go!” Leadership command
Fixed numerous blocking and loot issues in levels
Added an ally
Added additional crisis events
Added additional trait and perk icons
Fixed the issue where party slots still counted as full after an ally died
Added hotkey “P” to pull up Leadership Commands
Fixed issues with repeating dialogues
Fixed identical ammo not stacking with itself
Fixed an issue with the “Backstab” perk
Fixed an exploit for duplicating items using maximum stack size
Fixed an exploit for duplicating medical items by overloading the Medical Satchel
Adjusted balance on all weapons and special attacks

Combat is more dangerous now, and it will be harder to patch up your top allies after a rough fight. You'll have to leave them to recover over time at the Shelter and take your B-listers out to scavenge in the meantime. Let us know what you think, and how this update affects your combat strategies!

Enjoy!

Yes, good.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Added twenty-five new random encounters
Added functionality to adrenaline shot, Stuporax, Soothinum, and Flashback
Reworked healing system and wounded status
Added additional crisis events
Adjusted balance on all weapons and special attacks

Combat is more dangerous now, and it will be harder to patch up your top allies after a rough fight.
nice.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Do all the portraits still look like someone took a morning piss right in their open eyes?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Do all the portraits still look like someone took a morning piss right in their open eyes?

Tell us all how you really feel.

10_15_2014_8_06_42_AM.png

That's what came to mind when I saw them. Maybe my eyes would be no different after an apocalypse.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Patch #3.5 - Hotfixes
posted by Corgipede @ 10:52PM on October 16, 2014
Patch #3.5: Hotfixes

Hey everyone,

We decided to release a hotfix update to resolve some unexpected issues introduced in our recent Beta patch #3. We also included other miscellaneous work that’s been done in the meantime. Here’s the rundown:

Fixed broken Leadership Commands
Fixed issue with excess medical charges not stacking with existing bandages
Added exit tiles to History Museum map
Added exit tiles to Hospital map
Fixed an issue where adding a Stat point to a Stat currently reduced by equipment caused character to lose a Stat point instead
Fixed issue with broken usable items and related crash
Sized down combat status icons above characters
Fixed an issue where you could “throw” bullets infinitely
Fixed an item destruction bug related to unloading
Added more random encounters
Fixed issue where healing used two charges from the medical satchel instead of one
Fixed a combat crash related to an item database error
Fixed a few dialogue issues
Performed more combat/loot/doors/blocking work on a few levels

Thanks for your patience and for drawing our attention to some of these issues!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom