Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ninjerk

Arcane
Now that games have started including non-heterosexual characters is it so fucking hard to include at least one closeted LGBT character? Just one?
Obvious question: how do you know they haven't? :M
Unless you subtly reveal or imply the character's sexuality, it's not actually in the story. It's simply unknown.

And no, you don't need to have "that conversation" just because you include a gay character in your story, especially when having that conversation makes no sense in the time period and/or setting.

For instance, suppose you're making a dark fantasy RPG, and you want to include a gay character. Maybe instead of expressing this through blunt, simplistic dialog, you can have a scene where your party comes across some guards yanking two women along in shackles, and when you ask the guards what these women did wrong, they tell you the pair are to be burned at the stake for having homosexual relations. At this point you can include a quick cut-away shot of that one member of your party (who was earlier implied to have lost a loved one, and who never seems to show any interest in the opposite sex) staring blankly off into nowhere like someone just shot his dog. Oh my god it's almost like you said something notable about a character without hammering shitty dialog into the player's skull

But maybe this would make gay people upset, or something? I dunno? I guess no one wants anything bad happen to non-orc, non-chaotic evil characters in a fantasy story?
See, that even sounds hamfisted. You could reveal it through letters written between characters using aliases and have some breadcrumb clues to reveal who the aliases represent and tada! turns out they're the same sex. Or gender, or whatever the fuck.

likaq

Arcane
Can all of you start talking about game and not about fags?
Pages 47 and 48 are all about gays, it's DS thread not gay thread for fuck sake.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now that games have started including non-heterosexual characters is it so fucking hard to include at least one closeted LGBT character?

I could tell you about a game that has one...but I'd be spoiling that game's plot. :M Kind of a problem, eh?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried loading it up again with the new update, but... it's just such uninspiring dogshit. I can't stand it, from the ridiculous plane crash intro to the game engine itself; the whole thing is dogshit.

Hopefully they'll put a game in there at some point; I doubt I'll bother playing it, though.

I think it's fun, but it's still missing a toon of stuff.

I just got an apocaliptic preacher and his obvious cultist-sex-slave farm girl in my shelter. The guy wastes no time in talking shit about my leadership.
I take him for a walk and return alone.

:smug:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I think it's fun, but it's still missing a toon of stuff.

I just got an apocaliptic preacher and his obvious cultist-sex-slave farm girl in my shelter. The guy wastes no time in talking shit about my leadership.
I take him for a walk and return alone.

:smug:

Would you say that this game incentivises violent solutions?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anyone else feel that way or is he just being edgy?
The game lacks things to do, and might never have enough to feel right, but those complaints don't really make any sense.

They make perfect sense to me; is English not your native language?

It's uninspiring from the get-go. There's a ridiculous story about a plane crash, during which time apparently the entire world collapsed; the story is dogshit. The game engine is awkward and does a horrible job of depicting zombie combat; if you're going to have turn-based combat (which I love), then ensure that people have interrupts when a single zombie gets in their personal space, or figure out some other way to ensure that you never get an absurd result where four people just stand around waiting for their turn while a zombie slowly wanders up the street and bites you. A grown adult with a machete should always have the first swing against a single zombie that is approaching from directly infront of that character in an open field. Always

This doesn't even touch upon the fact that there's just not that much to do, the characters are insipid, the dialogue is awful and limited, the setting is uninspiring, and the player just has to think "why am I bothering with this turd?"

What concerns me is that this game has some sort of relationship to the Age of Decadence, which is probably the best RPG ever created.

Bottom line is this: don't touch this game until they've finished making it, and even then you should check out some reviews and let's plays before you bother.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But the real question is, is it better or worse than Planescape Torment?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I'd rather play Dead State than painscape torment but really now, those aren't exactly great options

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
yes, the game engine, which is completely unsuited to the sort of combat and game that they are trying to create. The combat needs a total overhaul, the base management needs a total overhaul, the whole thing needs to be redone.

The Age of Decadence, however, now that is a game.

If my only options were planescape arcanum or dead state, I would just stop playing games.

Helton

Arcane
I can understand what Agesilaus is saying about Dead State. It is VERY rough and incomplete and, even once completed in vest case scenario, not for everyone. But the base building + away teams is an interesting game setup to me. You get a little of it in NWN2 OC and I think it was the most intriguing part of that game. I don't think its a well explored system. Maybe Pillars of Eternity will have a bit of this as well? IDK I haven't been following it.

But yeah I'm excited just to see that implemented more fully. I want to see what happens.

But the game is p boring after a few in-game days right now. For sure.

Gozma

Arcane
How procedural is the game ATM? I was kinda hoping for X-Com with roleplaying; using that structure would redeem a lot of everything else. I'd be pretty bummed if the base stuff just proceeds linearly like a normal RPG.

kain30

Cipher
How procedural is the game ATM? I was kinda hoping for X-Com with roleplaying; using that structure would redeem a lot of everything else. I'd be pretty bummed if the base stuff just proceeds linearly like a normal RPG.
i don´t think dead state have any procedurality at all

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom