Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Update #54: The Big Day is Here - Dead State Officially Released!

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Have been doing some short little play throughs just practicing the combat system (trying to take the BullsEye mart) and exploring the area around the hideout. Despite a bunch of scratches and bites, I've not actually been infected yet . . . or perhaps I just don't know it.

Here's hoping!
It says in the manual that you have to be severely wounded for a scratch or bite to infect you.

lurker3000

Arcane
I cannot be bothered to read this whole thread but are we thinking 60% off during the Christmas sale?

EG

Nullified
Looks good. *Submits crash report-thing* Turns out attempting to bash a door when 4 members of your party are blocking it, might be a bad idea, assuming it's repeatable.

Haven't had too many issues with this build:

Party members can also get stuck in an circular loop in some hallways, as I assume they can't path to the player. (laundry mat)
The camera will jerk back to the last party member up a flight of stairs, even if the player character has already left the house (repeatable in the neighborhood where you acquire Bud).
Awnings will obscure vision sometimes, even if the player is underneath it (hardware store, others).
If your first destination isn't the hardware store, the game will not allow you to sleep after returning to the shelter.
It's possible to get the same random event after loading a save (in this case, the plane crash) in different locations on the map. Having looted it in a prior save, it will not spawn new loot (which is good, considering all that booze).
After the initial pause in the opening dialog (basement), sometimes the attempt to loot the survivor's cache will report that "you can't carry that much," even when a single item is selected (player's inventory is empty).

I'd assume this is covered in the manual and will look later, but how do you refill a medical satchel?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'd assume this is covered in the manual and will look later, but how do you refill a medical satchel?
you have to have it in your inv or on your inv pane (for some reason it works if it's on the left pane, but doesn't if it's on the right pane when accessing shelter storage), then drag bandagaes/codeine/first aid kits/whatever on its icon.
just be careful that you don't waste uses by overfilling it.

edit: ah, just tried. doesn't work in container looting screen at all, no matter what pane. just do it in your inventory.

Last edited:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Regarding the old 7 days version, we didn't keep it around, it became the beta (plus it would not be representative at all of the final product). We'll create a new one from this version.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I am Bread actually looks fantastic, I think that's where my money will go.

"The best game where you control a piece of bread that I've ever worked on. 10/10 would bread again."
:incline:

EG

Nullified
Any plans to move this to another engine? Because the one they use is shit.
At least my mouse pointer doesn't lag, like in Wasteland 2 . . . somehow.

Seems pretty solid. What makes it shit, exactly? And what'd be a subtle alternative?

Crap, I've taken the bait.

almondblight

Arcane
"The best game where you control a piece of bread that I've ever worked on. 10/10 would bread again."
:incline:

That reminds me of every Steam review I read for that Goat Simulator game: "LOL MOST RELISTIC GOAT SIMULATOR EVER LOL BETTER THAN HALF LIFE 3 LOL GOTY". Every. Single. Damn. Review. Not a one actually said anything about the game itself.

I'm starting to think I should write some shitty game about some something unbelievably stupid because there seems to be a huge market out there for people who want to ironically waste their money.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://steamcharts.com/app/239840

I'm pleased with these numbers. I hope it doesn't hit four digits.

Your curse worked, in a truly-trolly way.

Of1L9TH.png

But I guess it will hit four digits this weekend. :smug:

Burning Bridges

Calling me a shill, ha, did I talk about the same games for five years now, although their makers are clearly dunces? I am just saying that this looks pretty lousy for so much time and money invested, and dozens of better games come out every year.
It was clear to me for over 2 years that this needed an engine switch and input from someone with an idea of a strategy metagame to make those round based encounters interesting, but no some people knew better that turn based gamers wanted another linear game with a clunky interface.

EG

Nullified
Calling me a shill, ha, did I talk about the same games for five years now, although their makers are clearly dunces? I am just saying that this looks pretty lousy for so much time and money invested, and dozens of better games come out every year.
It was clear to me for over 2 years that this needed an engine switch and input from someone with an idea of a strategy metagame to make those round based encounters interesting, but no some people knew better that turn based gamers wanted another linear game with a clunky interface.
Have the same comments on the Project Zomboid communities regularly. (I wonder if there are indie developers free of them, sometimes . . . )

Whatcha' got that makes your comment special, eh? I see plenty of general statements, but there's no specifics.

But I'll admit, i've come to enjoy the past 10 hours spent in the game, and have found the "clunky" interface to be just fine. The only real piss off has been the omission of a player's maximum weight on the looting screen (but it's present in their inventory). So, eventually you hit the point where you can't pick up all the loot, but instead have to ferret through the stack, picking and choosing individual pieces.

There's also no (apparent) way to split a stack. Say I want to transfer only 1 book into my inventory instead of 7, just half-assing it and failing to read the manual gives me no enlightenment.

The omission of a trade/give-take UI is also disappointing. Having to transfer goods to containers then to the individual player is certainly clunky.

It's also rather difficult to navigate around your comrades due to the square grid. Though I swear I've seen it once, I've never been able to switch squares with another adjacent character: instead, you have to navigate around the blocking character, taking quite a few action points. (Mind, this could be a design choice: having a player knocked down by a zombie can effectively block your attempts to rescue them, if you let yourself get into such a situation.)

What makes the game linear? After you've built the fence, got some antibiotics, there doesn't seem to be many demands placed upon the player. There's no clear-cut path that you have to follow (but, as said earlier, I've only screwed around for a good 7 hours before sitting down and giving it a good play). Perhaps there is linearity in the near future and I'm just ignorant of it (though whether it impacts the over-all sandbox-y feel of exploring the map, or not, we'll see).

The cost . . . does anyone give a shit other than the people who earn/lose money from it? I mean, it's great if you think you or another group of people can do better, for less, but it's always just theoretical. There's no way to prove it beyond bemoaning that game X was so much more worthwhile for the price point.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

That's exactly what I mean, this kind of pointless debate for years when the game wasn't even out. Either the game is shit or it isn't. But if it is you can't talk it to death.

EG

Nullified
That's exactly what I mean, this kind of pointless debate for years when the game wasn't even out. Either the game is shit or it isn't. But if it is you can't talk it to death.
Everything is shit.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
But I'll admit, i've come to enjoy the past 10 hours spent in the game, and have found the "clunky" interface to be just fine. The only real piss off has been the omission of a player's maximum weight on the looting screen (but it's present in their inventory). So, eventually you hit the point where you can't pick up all the loot, but instead have to ferret through the stack, picking and choosing individual pieces.

We'll be adding it.

There's also no (apparent) way to split a stack. Say I want to transfer only 1 book into my inventory instead of 7, just half-assing it and failing to read the manual gives me no enlightenment.

Press CTRL+click.

The omission of a trade/give-take UI is also disappointing. Having to transfer goods to containers then to the individual player is certainly clunky.

Right click on an ally until you see the backpack cursor.

It's also rather difficult to navigate around your comrades due to the square grid. Though I swear I've seen it once, I've never been able to switch squares with another adjacent character: instead, you have to navigate around the blocking character, taking quite a few action points. (Mind, this could be a design choice: having a player knocked down by a zombie can effectively block your attempts to rescue them, if you let yourself get into such a situation.)

Right click on an ally until you see the two hands cursor (costs 2 AP to switch places).

What makes the game linear? After you've built the fence, got some antibiotics, there doesn't seem to be many demands placed upon the player. There's no clear-cut path that you have to follow (but, as said earlier, I've only screwed around for a good 7 hours before sitting down and giving it a good play). Perhaps there is linearity in the near future and I'm just ignorant of it (though whether it impacts the over-all sandbox-y feel of exploring the map, or not, we'll see).

Nope, no linearity, only at some point in time you reach an "endgame" event.

FUDU

Arcane

Looks like somebody's got sand in their vagina today.

EG

Nullified
Hm, crashed in the same place, under the same circumstances, but this time the process didn't generate a report: breaking into the side door of one of the little out-buildings within the Burby pharmacy lot.

Thanks for the tips, Elhoim, that's solved most of my hangups with the game. Much better.

Highly recommend slowly picking off well-armed biker thugs for their sweet, sweet armor.

Did not realise weapons could become poisioness from, what I'm assuming, zombie bashing. Nice touch.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom