Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Update #54: The Big Day is Here - Dead State Officially Released!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

It's Thursday, December 4th, and Dead State, the long-awaited zombie RPG from Brian Mitsoda's DoubleBear Productions, is finally here. For many Codexers, Dead State seems like a relic - a remnant from the time before Kickstarter, when interminable indie projects like Age of Decadence and Grimoire were the only light beyond the horizon in a sea of endless decline. The quality of Dead State's Early Access release was a matter of some controversy, but for the most part it was just ignored. My hope is that starting from today, we can finally learn something about this post-apocalyptic world that Brian and Annie have worked on for so many years. But that's enough editorializing - here's the Kickstarter update announcing the release:

First, a word from Brian Mitsoda, Dead State's creator:

This is it - Dead State is finally out! I know I’ve said this many times before, but truly, this game could not exist without Kickstarter and backers like you. Delivering the game we promised has been an obsession for us, and while we worked many long days and nights to create it, the release day has finally come. Thank you all for your patience and your patronage!

First off, I’d like to personally thank the team and all our support staff and moderators for making this game possible. Assembling an RPG with a small team was an incredibly complex challenge – I can’t state that enough. Without the dedication, commitment, care, and clever solutions this team has come up with, the game you are about to play would not nearly be as excellent. When it comes down to making games, it’s not just having a budget or ideas - it’s about the people that can come together (in our case, from all over the world), hit some impossibly high marks, and make a complex machine of levels, and systems, and characters and all the insane ways those pieces react to one another work. This is the culmination of many moons of long production chats, stat charts, forgotten arguments, face-palming, tragically hilarious bugs, lost weekends, lost summers, words of encouragement, and exclamations of “oh my gosh, it finally works!” The last few months are a blur of desk confinement and email threads – somewhere in there, we wiped off the last of the remaining tasks from our lists, killed the bug count, and finished years of work. We really hope we have delivered the game that we talked you into backing all the way back in 2012. We might have added a few extra things since then. (And just so you know, we’re committed to working on DS post-release, just let us please have a few drinks and a weekend off first.)

And if I may say one other thing – I know that the press and forum posts have made it a thing to slam Kickstarter failures, but I want to reiterate that Dead State and a lot of other great games would not exist without Kickstarter and Early Access. Never before have so many devs had the freedom to make the games they have wanted to make. DoubleBear and Dead State would not have come into being without the financial support and belief of backers like you. If by finishing Dead State we have restored some faith in the system, please roll that excitement back into other Kickstarter projects. I can’t thank you all enough, and I really hope that more developers get to have the support and experience that we’ve had. It’s a fantastic time to be a gamer and a developer – continue to support indie devs!

Finally, we still want to hear from you. Stop by our forums and tell us what you think of Dead State! We’re always looking to improve the game and use your feedback to shape our future projects. Okay, I’ve given my launch speech and Dead State’s probably done downloading by now. You’ve been waiting long enough – go play Dead State!

Now, the nitty-gritty details

Please check out our last Kickstarter update for an FAQ and details about how to get your Steam copy if you haven't yet. Those who opted for non-Steam will start seeing their GOG codes arriving in their KS message boxes shortly. For those who backed at a physical reward tier, rest assured that getting those straightened out is our first priority post-launch!

Don't forget to take a look at our manual - Dead State is a complex game with a lot of depth, so this is a very helpful resource for anyone hoping to master combat and exploration!

If you have any questions about Dead State, the launch, or anything else, the absolute fastest way to get them addressed is to post them on Dead State's forums; devs, mods, and veteran Early Access players are available to help you out, especially those of you playing the game for the first time!

We've said it many times but it's worth repeating - DoubleBear Productions plans to continue supporting Dead State post-release with patches and content updates, so please make sure to use our forums to report bugs and provide feedback. Do make sure to review our Known Issues list before posting, though, to make sure your issue isn't already being tracked!

Thanks everyone, and have fun playing Dead State!
Dead State is available for purchase at Steam and GOG for the price of $30. Now, let's get some Codex consensus, people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Cool that the manual is available to all. I'll read it and see if it compels me to buy.

kain30

Cipher
downloading via GOG. but my connection is sooo slow that i wouldn´t be able to play it for three more hours T_T

set

Cipher
How's the game? I'd like to buy/support it if it's actually good.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
So what is the game about? Storyfaggotry, roguelikeness or This War of Mine with zombies?

EG

Nullified
Form a quick play through:
Went with a simple max agility, high perception character. The game now features perks unlocked when skins are leveled. A nice touch.

Now has a proper "show don't tell" intro and a contextual tutorial that you can dismiss or breeze through. Helps set the mood, though the initial shelter dialog is the same as in previous versions and appears just to have Dragon Age style "all dialog options lead to the same result / slightly varied flavor text." I imagine that carries over for the rest of the game.

A pleasant surprise on leaving the base was finding an alternative location, though. Instead of being forced to the hardware store, my group tangled with four bandits (one with a pistol, another with a shot gun, and two melee) in the parking lot of City Hall. Took them out, but it was their corpses that got us in the end. Combat feels a bit quicker (increased animation speed?), but it's always disappointing to find out your character can't attack diagonal targets (some can, depending on the weapon, but . . . ).

Moral: Don't raid the undead corpses until they've reanimated. Though they're easy to deal with, the chance that they'll just knock you down and scratch you to death is a nice plus compared to earlier versions, where you just hit them a dozen times and took minor damage. Hell of an added incentive to use ranged attacks . . .

Environments are still prestine and character models are still chunky plasticine but hey, it's better than what I expected during Early Access.

Last edited:

Morkar Left

The options screen finally doesn't look like a windows screen anymore but in the char creation where you should be able to choose a "custom" portrait it says "This festure is not available in early access"...

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Nothing better than coming home from a hard days work and seeing that another (supposedly) good game is relased. I R BUYIN RITE NOW!! WOOT WOOT!

himmy

Arcane
Hey, it's even in top 10 best selling on Steam. I hope it pulls a D:OS and has the word of mouth spread in the next days so it will have a strong first week. That's also likely, as it will picked up by fandoms of every zombie product out there.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hey, it's even in top 10 best selling on Steam. I hope it pulls a D:OS and has the word of mouth spread in the next days so it will have a strong first week. That's also likely, as it will picked up by fandoms of every zombie product out there.
Top 10 right after big sales is not very many total units.

And #7 is an early access game titled "I am bread"

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327890/?snr=1_4_4__104

:hmm:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm mildly interested due to the strategy elements but the storyfaggot management shit puts me off. I don't want to direct a soap opera.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Seems pretty clear to me that Roxor is trolling. In any case we should be glad a torrent is out. It's free advertising. Look at the numbers on that torrent.

A pleasant surprise on leaving the base was finding an alternative location, though. Instead of being forced to the hardware store, my group tangled with four bandits (one with a pistol, another with a shot gun, and two melee) in the parking lot of City Hall. Took them out, but it was their corpses that got us in the end. Combat feels a bit quicker (increased animation speed?), but it's always disappointing to find out your character can't attack diagonal targets (some can, depending on the weapon, but . . . ).

Moral: Don't raid the undead corpses until they've reanimated. Though they're easy to deal with, the chance that they'll just knock you down and scratch you to death is a nice plus compared to earlier versions, where you just hit them a dozen times and took minor damage. Hell of an added incentive to use ranged attacks .
Is everyone infected?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Seems pretty clear to me that Roxor is trolling. In any case we should be glad a torrent is out. It's free advertising. Look at the numbers on that torrent.

Moral: Don't raid the undead corpses until they've reanimated. Though they're easy to deal with, the chance that they'll just knock you down and scratch you to death is a nice plus compared to earlier versions, where you just hit them a dozen times and took minor damage. Hell of an added incentive to use ranged attacks .
Is everyone infected?

No, but we have quite a few infected enemies as a surprise ;)

EG

Nullified
Is everyone infected?
Nope. Shortly after said epic fight, my main character succumbed to its KO status and died. I guess I should have brought the nurse along, after all.

Have been doing some short little play throughs just practicing the combat system (trying to take the BullsEye mart) and exploring the area around the hideout. Despite a bunch of scratches and bites, I've not actually been infected yet . . . or perhaps I just don't know it.

Here's hoping!

Minor graphical bug: sometimes, when zombies go to attack, they jerk between a T position and standing still. Take it that's an issue with shaders?

Finding it rather easy to get wounded if I get caught between two zombies. Haven't yet figured out a good solution to it, other than to use guns or run. Despite the relatively low number of zombies (the first BullsEye Mart north-west has around 16? zombies), I'd say that's one thing the game has captured well: being surrounded / caught off guard. The low numbers and confined spaces work rather well in this case. Perhaps that's why few weapons seem to have diagonal attacks (praise the bat). It'd be too easy to line your survivors up and just swing from the sides, in many locations.

It's something I rather miss from the early days of Project Zomboid. Now, in PZ, it's very easy to become a leader of a flock of zombies, slowly whittling them away with your melee attack. /plant

Deleted member 7219

So, where else can I get parts from? I'm thinking I should try taking out the humans at the other place. I've completely cleaned out the hardware store and all areas except for where those guys are held out.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Top 10 right after big sales is not very many total units.

And #7 is an early access game titled "I am bread"

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327890/?snr=1_4_4__104

:hmm:
http://steamcharts.com/app/239840

I'm pleased with these numbers. I hope it doesn't hit four digits.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
So, where else can I get parts from? I'm thinking I should try taking out the humans at the other place. I've completely cleaned out the hardware store and all areas except for where those guys are held out.

There are several hardware stores, plus you can explore and find locations on your own Fallout style. Plus you can also build a recycler upgrade that will allow you to convert items to parts.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The early release was incredibly shitty, but I'll probably give this another go later in the month when I have some time.

EG

Nullified
there are no demo versions available anymore
This is pretty funny, considering all the controversy over the seven days demo. They had one, why not make that available to everybody?
Can even have it as a separate entry on Steam, so they don't have to personally incur the cost of hosting it.

And, that way you can tell people to try the demo to ensure it works on their system / they like it. In theory, it should cut down the bitching.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom