Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dead State Interview with Brian Mitsoda at RPGWatch

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

There's a new interview with Brian Mitsoda over at RPGWatch. The interview starts off with a few questions about Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, but most of it is dedicated to asking a large number of questions about the game mechanics of Dead State, to which Brian answers in detail. It's a good interview! Here's a short excerpt:

RPGWatch: For me (and hopefully some of my readers!), deep RPG systems are the most important thing in an RPG, and the more complex the system, the better! What type of RPG stats, skills and perks can we expect to find in Dead State? Can you give us some examples of their design?

Brian: All of our stats and skills are fairly straightforward and have been cut down to be as useful as possible so that you don't feel like you put points in a useless option. Melee and Ranged are straightforward combat skills, while Mechanical, Medical, and Science have combat and Shelter applications, specifically building upgrades, healing allies faster, and building new armor or items. Survival is all about getting around the map quicker and more safely while also opening up potential wild sources of food. Leadership has dialogue applications, but can also be used to issue commands that can change your odds in combat. Negotiation helps you keep order at the shelter, but also allows you to more successfully deal with the demands of enemies and allies. Each skill has a choice of perks at levels 3 and 6, with a very useful perk unlocked at level 10. Pretty much whatever skill you pick is going to give you better odds of survival, but your specialties and perks will change your game experience quite a bit.

RPGWatch: What can you tell us about the companions in Dead State? Are there any hidden companions that require effort to get to join your crew, such as a character hidden in a hard-to-find location, or requiring some certain prerequisite to be met to get them to join?)? Will different characters have different classes, if classes are even in the game?

Brian: There aren't classes in the game, and allies use the same types of skills that the player does. Every ally has different stats, skill, and perks that make them useful in different ways. Some allies are better off utilized at the Shelter, while some are more suited to combat. A few allies will show up automatically, but many of them must be found out in the world. There are a few that will only join your Shelter if you take certain actions. And, of course, if you piss them off out in the world, there's always the chance they might just attack you rather than join you. Not all of them start out willing to join you immediately.

RPGWatch: Vampire - Bloodlines seemed like it had significant player choices around every corner, and it made for a very re-playable game. What type of choices will there to be made in Dead State, and how heavy will the consequences be? Can you fail some quests because you chose the "wrong" dialog? Will the game adapt to your choices and change based on them? Do quest outcomes differ based on your choices?

Brian: The consequences range from altering an ally's mood to losing supplies to provoking certain allies to take an action against you. Dealing with certain groups can lead to attacks on your Shelter's fence or the chance of encountering more enemies out in the world. There's also Crisis Events - major events or disasters that require a vote by the Shelter's leadership - that change the entire mood of the Shelter and can have far-ranging consequences when it comes to the respect of the sub-leaders there.

As far as failure, it's possible to result in less than optimal situations from your decisions, but you'll never instantly be killed or anything that severe. We always give you the chance to alter the situation inside your Shelter yourself - such as making an ally have a "convenient accident" that day. You'll never be able to please everyone at the Shelter with your decisions, so the best thing to do is to balance your actions toward the majority or try to tweak the allies in the Shelter to be more likely to side via bribes and negotiation.

There are several major factions you deal with in the game world, and the options you take with them can vary quite a bit. Some of them might even be willing to work with you or at least respect you enough to leave you alone. Most of the day to day in the game is going to be working with your own people and keeping up the morale of the Shelter. The endings of the game will be dependent on the number of allies you have and some other factors ranging from faction relationships to the skills of you and your fellow Shelter residents. Our hope is that every player writes their own story of survival within the actions that they take.​

Crisis events, eh? That sounds familiar.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
As soon as the tools to make that kind of game get easier to do from a small team production standpoint, I will definitely consider it.
I don't see how making a FPS with the needed customization for a VtM:B-like will become any easier in the future.
Unity, the asset and package store, channels for digital distribution and crowdfunding -- not gonna get any easier than that (while retaining the necessary "power" for creating a game like that).
So in other words, we'll never see it.

set

Cipher
As soon as the tools to make that kind of game get easier to do from a small team production standpoint, I will definitely consider it.
I don't see how making a FPS with the needed customization for a VtM:B-like will become any easier in the future.
Unity, the asset and package store, channels for digital distribution and crowdfunding -- not gonna get any easier than that (while retaining the necessary "power" for creating a game like that).

Unity, out of the box, lacks a lot of functionality. You're expected to make it yourself. I think it can become easier - WC3's editor is pretty damn easy to use out of the box and lots of people built lots of kinds of games with it. Of course, it wasn't well suited to some kinds of games, but it's so far the most intuitive and "powerful" game maker program I know of. It doesn't even require any programming knowledge to use.

At the very least, managing dialogue trees / player choice paths (this can become a large task to manage, which is why most games don't do it) is not natively supported by Unity - this requires a dedicated process which is tricky to manage, especially for a large project over time.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Unity, out of the box, lacks a lot of functionality. You're expected to make it yourself. I think it can become easier - WC3's editor is pretty damn easy to use out of the box and lots of people built lots of kinds of games with it. Of course, it wasn't well suited to some kinds of games, but it's so far the most intuitive and "powerful" game maker program I know of. It doesn't even require any programming knowledge to use.
You want them to wait around until someone makes a FPRPG equivalent of the WC3 editor? Not happening.
The WC3 editor, as with any editor (nwn, sc), are easy because there are so many predefined factors. They require pretty specific game ideas supported by the engine in question.
That's why I wrote "the needed customization of a VtM:B-like." You need a very open-ended engine to make a game like VtM:B.

At the very least, managing dialogue trees / player choice paths (this can become a large task to manage, which is why most games don't do it) is not natively supported by Unity - this requires a dedicated process which is tricky to manage, especially for a large project over time.
There are easy-to-use addons or whatever the fuck they call it for Unity that makes these things a breeze. I know because I've tried one.

There will never be a "script only" engine for creating a spiritual successor to VtM:B.
And there will never be a game creation kit as powerful, while at the same time accessible (price) and supported (community, addons), as Unity.

So, again:
we'll never see it

Unless, of course, they open their eyes. The fact that he's saying this, while at the same time using that Torque shit for DS is mind-boggling (sorry VD). Unity is the shizzle.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Most of this stuff didn't exist as it does now when Double Bear started. He might not even be aware of how rapidly things are changing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So are you going to inundate the Codex with his shitty videos, too?

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's funny how this interview starts with Bloodlines and only in the end they asked Mitsoda a bit about Dead State. Lol, everyone wants Bloodlines and no one cares about Dead State.

Joke. I want it. And you could easily make Bloodlines-like game on Dead State engine. Just drop zombie bullshit and make it a proper RPG.

SniperHF

Arcane
'tron promotes my channel more than I do :lol:
Maybe he needs one of these:
ad_plant.png

Been a member for basically 10 minutes and have already had my reputation destroyed because Roguey "bro"fisted my post, and got hazed by the gay moderator.

:love:

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
'tron promotes my channel more than I do :lol:
Maybe he needs one of these:
ad_plant.png

Been a member for basically 10 minutes and have already had my reputation destroyed because Roguey "bro"fisted my post, and got hazed by the gay moderator.

:love:
Hmm, your channel is pretty good.
:australia:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
granted, it's been a while, but from what i remember challenge was definitely not something bloodlines did in any way right.
(plus it's funny when the watch pretends to be codex)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bloodlines did C&C and divergent character builds well. That and decent setting, npcs, and so-so level design (ignoring dumb shit like the Warrens and the crack house). Most everything else, including the combat, was pretty bad.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bloodlines did C&C and divergent character builds well. That and decent setting, npcs, and so-so level design (ignoring dumb shit like the Warrens and the crack house). Most everything else, including the combat, was pretty bad.
Yep. Combat was pretty annoying (except with a tremere heh) but
Malkavian sisters quest line
Malkavian madness mansion
Most side quests
Soooo gooood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
as sniperhf implied and i wrote, the watch is being derp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom