Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State gets Reanimated

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

We know that Dead State didn't sell very well, but DoubleBear have nevertheless made good on their promise and developed a comprehensive balance update for the game, which they released today. Like many of the other "Enhanced Edition"-style updates that are so popular nowadays, it comes with a subtitle. Here are the details on Dead State: Reanimated:

We’ve spent a couple of months of solid development time making Dead State stronger, smarter, and faster, and we’re happy to say that the results are fantastic. We’ve brought new life - or is it unlife? - to every aspect of the game. This isn’t just Dead State anymore - this is Dead State: Reanimated! DS:R isn’t just an update - it’s our definitive enhanced edition with brand-new content, full of improvements and fixes requested by you, our community!

The Highlights
  • Major overhaul of combat balance! Core combat systems have been thoroughly reworked to take advantage of all the data and feedback we’ve gathered over the months since Dead State’s original release. Ranged weapons, melee weapons, armor, special attacks, ally / PC healing, and more have been reworked and carefully tested to create an engaging and challenging combat experience. Even the core combat system has been tweaked so that AC is calculated before damage reduction; this change makes combat more consistent and more fair.
  • Smarter AI! Medic, Guard, Grenadier, Sniper, and more - New AI behaviors and schemas exist for human enemies, making them more interesting and more challenging to fight! Enemies will notice your presence more quickly and fully utilize all of their tactical options, thrown weapons, and special attacks.
  • New PC Infection option on New Game menu! Create a new game with PC Infection checked and your character will be as susceptible to infection as your allies are. Carefully manage your antibiotics and change your combat strategies to ensure your own survival!
  • Hardcore Mode! In Hardcore mode combat becomes more dangerous, allies consume more resources and heal more slowly, and Morale is harder to keep up. Turn on Hardcore, Iron Man, and PC Infection for the ultimate challenge!
  • Alarms! That’s right - we’ve added alarms to buildings in several areas. Red, blinking lights warn you that there’s an active alarm on a building. Use your Science skill to deactivate an alarm and prevent a looting distraction from becoming a noisy attraction!
  • New areas and random encounters! Several new levels and random encounters have been added. Make sure to keep an eye out for the Chemical Plant, an area with a unique twist…
  • New combat sounds and animations! We’ve added new special attack, reloading, and healing animations and sounds. Special attacks feel smoother and more impactful now!
  • Stability improvements! We’ve rooted out every crash and progress blocking bug to make sure you have the smoothest possible experience. Several popularly requested usability improvements have been added, such as friendly fire conformation, looting piled up bodies, and an option to toggle Live Shelter movement on and off.
  • Pathfinding improvements! Both allies and the undead have received major pathfinding adjustments that will reduce lag some people have experienced as well as make movement more consistent and natural.

Impressive, right? And that doesn’t even cover the many smaller miscellaneous fixes and improvements we’ve made, which I’ll list below (or at least all the ones I can remember - there were just so many!)

We can’t possibly thank our community enough for the thousands of feedback messages, balance suggestions, and bug reports that have been indispensable in getting DS:R into the shape it’s in today. We couldn't have done this without your support, and from everybody on the team we want to give you a sincere Thank You.

We hope that you’ll agree that there’s never been a better time to visit Splendid, Texas.​

Very nice. The full changelog is available for viewing in that Steam announcement. Hopefully we can get somebody to give the game a second look and see how much it's improved.

kain30

Cipher
downloading the patch. li played till the ending. but let see this new improvements.

Saduj

Arcane
Just finished Dead State on Sunday. I need to stop buying anticipated RPGs on their release date. Not only have the last 3 games I've finished made major changes soon afterwards (D:OS, W2, DS), but the scope of the changes is getting bigger with each game.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
what they say - what it actually means:

early access - first playable build
release - alpha
release + day 1 patch - beta
release + three months of patching - gold
enhanced edition - actual release

Weasel

release - alpha

:salute:
And the genius of the plan is that you can either charge extra for the enhanced edition/DLC or do a Fargo and hype your BRO credentials for not making your backers buy the game again to get the finished version.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

release - alpha

And the genius of the plan is that you can either charge extra for the enhanced edition/DLC or do a Fargo and hype your BRO credentials for not making your backers buy the game again to get the finished version.

The latter has sure worked well for CDPR twice already with The Witcher series.

GloomFrost

Arcane

release - alpha

The latter has sure worked well for CDPR twice already with The Witcher series.

Yes but both witcher games were not nearly as buggy as DS straight after the release. DS was borderline unplayable and completely broken.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Kickstarter games are a whole new level of being rushed out the door. Any game with any level of ambition is launched a buggy alpha-tier mess.

hivemind

Does it mean that the game is worth playing now?
Wasn't the writing of it also said to be bad to average?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Does it mean that the game is worth playing now?
Wasn't the writing of it also said to be bad to average?
Isn't average writing better than Bioware atrocious? How was "Dragon Age: I" writing?

hivemind

Isn't average writing better than Bioware atrocious? How was "Dragon Age: I" writing?
Pretty bad, but 13 year old me liked it.

Edit: Oh I just realized that that's for Inquisition and not 1.

In that case I don't know because I haven't even bothered playing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The patch sounds really good. I wish I had not played the game before.
Not sure if I want to revisit it so soon. It really got a bit boring after the start. And the ending...
Well, THAT felt like I wasted a lot of time on trying to build something up, just to see everyone dying on radiation. Wtf?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Pretty bad, but 13 year old me liked it.

Edit: Oh I just realized that that's for Inquisition and not 1.

In that case I don't know because I haven't even bothered playing it.
You reduced your age from 14...

Well, I though DA:O was fine, though not high end novel. DA: DLC was funny (something about that mage and his cat). And DA2 atrocious. I didn't heard anything about DA:I writing from reliable sources.

hivemind

Yeah I thought it was released in 2010 but then checked and it was actually in 2009.

Higher Game

Arcane

release - alpha

And finally, the "mods will fix it" is the real enhanced edition, 5+ years later. :lol:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Sweet! New Underrail update and PoE made me forget I was right in the middle of a campaign!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom