Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dead State Design Update

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

<p>Well, judging by the latest design update by DoubleBear's Brian Mitsoda, he probably gets pestered by a lot of <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">idiots</span> gaming journalists and now felt the need to <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2258.0.html" target="_blank">set up some guidelines</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>2. Press Does Not Mean Press Us for Free Games</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>According to my mailbox, every fifth person on the internet has a game review site and they all get six billion hits per month. They would love to do us the honor of helping us get exposure for our game. Fair enough - good press has made a lot of people aware of our game. But here&rsquo;s generally what it sounds like:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&ldquo;I write for GaaaameSnackz and I would love to review your new game!&rdquo;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>See the Google rule &ndash; we don&rsquo;t have a game out yet.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&ldquo;We get a million hits a minute and can help get the word out about your game!&rdquo;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>We haven&rsquo;t heard of every site out there and we&rsquo;re all too happy to help a good fledgling site out, but if it looks like something you did in an hour, it&rsquo;s probably not worth our time.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&ldquo;Can you send me the beta code to review on our site?&rdquo;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>We wouldn&rsquo;t want you to review a beta, and we wouldn&rsquo;t send a beta to anyone who lacked credibility. We know who most of the major sites are and if we were sending preview builds to anyone (and there will be only a few) they are probably going to sites that we have worked with in the past. Sending out hundreds of copies of our game to every game blog out there isn&rsquo;t going to increase awareness at all.&nbsp;</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>5. Sincerely, PonyBonerz</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Lots of people use pseudonyms and some of these are more unfortunate than others. I understand this &ndash; it&rsquo;s like when you make a face and someone hits you on the back and you&rsquo;re stuck with it for the rest of your professional career. No big deal. But, if you write us for information, interviews, or pretty much anything going out on your site, have the courtesy to use your real name and title (if you have one) in addition to your handle. It just makes it seem more legitimate and we can take the time to look up some of your previous work. We promise not to embarrass anyone by revealing that The Masturbating Gamer&rsquo;s real name is &ldquo;Ed&rdquo; or anything like that.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I wonder if signing emails with VentilatorOfDoom would be appropriate.</p>

Andhaira

Arcane
Hey Babyarm, my interview requests are always professional and polite.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Icewater said:
This guy's awfully arrogant for someone producing indie garbage.

I remember back in the day when you hipsters did not know about this place and would post CP on 4chan for kicks instead of stinking up this place with your OH so edgy commentary.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Icewater said:
Oh man, I wish I could be half as edgy as you. If only I had your strong wit and willful indifference, I wouldn't need to be burdened by such things as intelligence and common courtesy. Goddamn.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
VentilatorOfDoom said:
5. Sincerely, PonyBonerz

Lots of people use pseudonyms and some of these are more unfortunate than others. I understand this – it’s like when you make a face and someone hits you on the back and you’re stuck with it for the rest of your professional career. No big deal. But, if you write us for information, interviews, or pretty much anything going out on your site, have the courtesy to use your real name and title (if you have one) in addition to your handle. It just makes it seem more legitimate and we can take the time to look up some of your previous work. We promise not to embarrass anyone by revealing that The Masturbating Gamer’s real name is “Ed” or anything like that.

See, e.g., TotalBiscuit. Too many dipshits out there who just got into this for free games and easy compensation, him being a prime example. Unfortunately idiots think he's clever so apparently he makes a living at it. Then again, Brittney Spears sold a billion albums....

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Dicksmoker said:
Icewater said:
Oh man, I wish I could be half as edgy as you. If only I had your strong wit and willful indifference, I wouldn't need to be burdened by such things as intelligence and common courtesy. Goddamn.
it's like the tolling of some great bell.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Damn, I must be falling behind on the times. I had never even heard of this game until now.

Sounds interesting, and it gets bonus points for not having any of the fast moving, modern zombies in my books.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
1. You Didn’t Even Google us?

If it seems like you haven’t even taken the time to do a Google Search on DoubleBear or me or the game, we’re not going to take the time to reply to you or do your interview. I mean, I know that’s five seconds that you could’ve used to read a yogurt label or blink a bunch of times, but c’mon.

Examples:

“I’ve been a big fan of all of DoubleBear’s games!”

This is our first game. You couldn’t even look that up on our Wikipedia page or company page?
I'm a fan already. :salute:

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Looking forward to this game, but Brian really does like half-assing it on the updates. This could easily have just been placed in the contact section on their website, nothing in there to warrant calling it a "design update".

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
sgc_meltdown said:
bros I wonder what kind of unsolicited press interaction Mr. Weller gets
I get a lot of insightful questions. Indie developers are like rock stars, so it's hardly surprising that many people want to know what it's like to be an indie developer making RPGs and living, y'know, the lifestyle of the rich and famous.

b5ji1i.jpg

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Icewater said:
accusing a dev of arrogance in a thread about him giving actually sound advice on professional conduct on a forum he uses to directly communicate with his potential fans and customers is as good a way to revel in your own stupidity as any, i guess....

anus_pounder

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
sgc_meltdown said:
bros I wonder what kind of unsolicited press interaction Mr. Weller gets
I get a lot of insightful questions. Indie developers are like rock stars, so it's hardly surprising that many people want to know what it's like to be an indie developer making RPGs and living, y'know, the lifestyle of the rich and famous.

b5ji1i.jpg

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom