Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space 3, or How To Fuck Up A Popamole Game

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Yeah, normal game modes have plentiful resources even if you dont use scavangers. Really kills survival mood.
New game + modes are the real deal (monsters drop nothing)
I hate games which forces you to finish the game to open a difficulty mode that already should be there in the first place.
It encourages the player to pirate it and download saves.

Commander Xbox

Learned
Ive been playing the dead space series since i got hyped for DS1 in 08 and although I think ds3 is a good game, there are notable flaws that EA have introduced

pros:
-optional side missions
- hub level designs
-tightened up controls
-retains the creepy, disturbing atmosphere of the last 2 (this is the most important part)
-create a weapon is fun and you can have some crazy overpowered stuff
-surprisingly long. i clocked in at 14 hours on normal difficulty

cons:
-carver and the entire co op online thing, its mind blowing they decided to put this into a horror type game, and its bullshit that you need to play the co-op to experience the whole story. i refused to play co op and carver was literally just a meaningless bot who stood there during cutscenes
-the story is poorly told, and 90% of it is unloaded in under a minute when isaac has a vision instead of being slowly shown and explained to the player. they also retconned some of the story from ds1, but i suspect that is due to the change of writing team
- as mentioned here multiple times, the amount of ammo and health dropped is insane. its like EA decided that what little difficulty the game had needed to be wiped out so it was impossible to fail
- the amount of necromorph spam is fucking tedious. previous dead space games always degenerated into walking into room after room and being spammed will multiple waves of necromorphs late in the game, but the frequecy of it in DS3 is retarded and no doubt a result of the descsion to give players a shitload of ammo and health

the whole dlc thing doesnt bother me since no significant parts of the game were cut out for it. youd have to be a retard to buy reskinned weapons and some resources

-the story is poorly told, and 90% of it is unloaded in under a minute when isaac has a vision instead of being slowly shown and explained to the player. they also retconned some of the story from ds1, but i suspect that is due to the change of writing team

This. It's quite ridiculous, as they had only 2 games, and instead of building on the story and backstory they go and retcon stuff. The "dead space" in the first game was referring for example to the field around the markers which rendered the necromorphs inactive if I recall correctly. Suddenly all that is forgotten and they keep trying to create some new meaning by forcing it in the players face at two occasions through the game, both of which are kind of irrelevant.

The only reason I cared slightly for this game was the setting and interesting backstory. Now that's gone the way of the toilet. Hurray.

Commander Xbox

Learned

This. It's quite ridiculous, as they had only 2 games, and instead of building on the story and backstory they go and retcon stuff. The "dead space" in the first game was referring for example to the field around the markers which rendered the necromorphs inactive if I recall correctly. Suddenly all that is forgotten and they keep trying to create some new meaning by forcing it in the players face at two occasions through the game, both of which are kind of irrelevant.

The only reason I cared slightly for this game was the setting and interesting backstory. Now that's gone the way of the toilet. Hurray.

ya that is exactly what i was reffering to. in dead space 1 and the video comic things ea released beforehand, the marker had dna instructions for necromorphs written all over it, yet it produced a field of ''dead space'' that suppressed them at the same time. it also produced visions which either made people go crazy and kill each other to spread the infection, or helped them stop the necromorph infection with them. it was basically a big mysterious contradition and i was interested to see where they went with it.

however when the writing team changed in between ds1 and 2 that was forgotten about and the marker is now some generic evil alien artifact that controls people to do its bidding then turns them into monsters so they can be turned into a giant reaper moon.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well, that's because according to EA if you're not saving the entire galaxy from impending doom then your story isn't majestic enough.

Psquit

Arcane
how does the marker "infects" living organism? its never explain... its like "uhhh people going crazy and shit then Necromorphs everywhere!!" there must be like a virus or something that infects some guys dat turn them into those flying things that infects people...

Psquit

Arcane
Sometimes it is best to NEVER explain (see Mass Effect).

i disagree. The problem is that they try to explain their popamole shit with something fancy. "Like, The marker was gaben all along!!!" and you are like "ZOMG, that make no sense".
I think that if they try to explain their fucking game in a more simple way like " the marker use MAGIKZ" it will be more pleasant thus will make sense for example:

harvester_5.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

harvester2--article_image.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how the fuck do i explain this shit?. Simple!-- Serial killer simulator teh end.

see?, no complicated shit.

Pd: game is harvester.

Psquit

Arcane
DS1 and DS2 together make a pretty complete story, to my memory.

pretty meh, i mean why the fuck isaac trust his fucking dead girlfriend she try to kill him in several occasions...
why earth-gov still make fake markers if they know those things can create necromorphs out of thin air?...
Why the markers make humans go mad an write alien gibberish all over the wall. Its obious that the necromorphs are fucking stupid the only thing they do is kill, transform, consume an repeat that shit. How come those things have their own language...

Why the fuck they sale flamethrower fuel in those kiosk all over the fucking ship.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
DS1 and DS2 together make a pretty complete story, to my memory.

pretty meh, i mean why the fuck isaac trust his fucking dead girlfriend she try to kill him in several occasions...
why earth-gov still make fake markers if they know those things can create necromorphs out of thin air?...
Why the markers make humans go mad an write alien gibberish all over the wall. Its obious that the necromorphs are fucking stupid the only thing they do is kill, transform, consume an repeat that shit. How come those things have their own language...

Why the fuck they sale flamethrower fuel in those kiosk all over the fucking ship.

Complete != good. I just meant it felt like an ending, I saw no real story need for a third game.

Commander Xbox

Learned

:lol:

But seriously the marker and its origins and purpose are the only reason i was interested in the story anymore. EA will probably continue to milk it for a few more games

Psquit

Arcane
So why markers helped Isaak stop infection in DS1?

if i remember correctly the marker was a seal to the necromorph infection on that planet. When the marker was on that plataform the hive mind will go into hibernation thus the necromorphs would probably "sleep" as well or go ape shit against each other.

but really, how come they have those sawblades, flamethrower shit. Its obious that they have the technology to slice a chunk of the planet an pulled it to the space ship for mining. Why on earth do need a flamethrower or sawblades...
Fucking savages, no wonder they almost blow up the ship... "Huurr durr my religion says that the Marker is holy an sacred and the horrible mutants that are ripping apart the crew are his angels send by god. Better buy a flamethrower at the kiosk to kill all the non belivers -HYUK. "

I dont know... dead space was fun and interesting for me because at that time resident evil 5 was shit thus making dead space 1 moar glorious in some way but its pretty retarded.

Dexter

Arcane
So the article says, it's the same sub-brand and company though, if they close BioWare Montreal tomorrow you wouldn't say "Oh, it's not Edmonton, who cares?".
It's likely that this had a connection with the reception of Dead Space 3, since the Montreal branch hasn't released anything in a while.

Well, it's been many years since I practiced law, but I DID practice in criminal law, and sorry but she's right. The key is whether you know you've been given too much change, and whether you knew it at the time that you left the store. Fraud would be an easier fit (it includes deception by omission, so long as you're (a) aware that the person is deceived, and (b) someone is getting a financial benefit), but theft would still apply.
I'm not going to argue over definitions, because laws and legal ideas are purposefully vague and elastic. If you think it's a crime then cite a case of someone being persecuted.

Granted you say that the man can't prove that you knew of the mistake. However, as a criminal lawyer you must be aware that people are way too eager to blabber about their criminal mischief. I'm sure it's happened thousands of times that someone derived some advantage from a merchant's mistake and then bragged about it to half the town, so if it's a prosecutable crime as you say there should be at least one case.

If you knew the slightest thing about law, you'd know that there are literally hundreds of laws that are unenforced.

Secondly, there are serious limitations to the evidentiary worth of someone blabbing shit to their friends. Even if they posted it on facebook, they could always say that they were just talking themselves up, and they really didn't know that they had been undercharged at the time.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue further with someone whose idea of jurisprudence is 'laws and legal ideas are purposefully vague and elastic'.

Tagaziel

Scholar
I guess I'm the only one who likes Dead Space 3. It's much better than Dead Space 2, at any rate.

I think my personal high point is the focus on the Sovereign Colonies Armed Forces, complete with going through their armada, remnants of their Galactic Expedition, using their armor, sleeping in their beds, fucking their women, and piecing together the backstory. It's a lot more in line with the art style and general feel of Dead Space (USG Ishimura was already 62 years old by that time, a relic kept alive by retrofits and slated for final decommissioning). I guess it's the lore surrounding it, the fascinating concept of extreme patriotism (Scenario 5, anyone?), as well as me being a sucker for vintage technology. The story's decent, but not memorable. Apart from the tragic SCAF expedition and the tensions it involved, not to mention political implications of such a complete containment, it falls apart the moment you enter the alien city.

Oh yeah, and L. Ron Hubbard Jesus Danik.

That's the primary gripe. Some of the characters (Norton and that black scientist) behave like they were drinking retard juice before following it with moron salad and idiot cheese. The amount of monsters to kill was already mentioned, so I won't raise it again.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/22273...ffs-montreal-branch-could-be-shut-down-by-ea/

Yup :)
EA is the anti-hero, had to do some horrible things to get where it is now, but now that they have the power, they're killing off shit devs.

Anyone want to photoshop the CEO of EA onto the image of Mad Max and his dog from MM2: The Road Warrior?

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Just finished the game. I suppose if we ever get a big-budget "Mountains of Madness" game, this is the closest thing we can get. Elder aliens that make the flute sound, arctic landscape, a failed expedition that unearthed an alien city, etc. Almost like a fan fiction of Mountains of Madness.

The overall story is decent if you ignore the inconsistency with DS1, emo Isaac that sounds like a 13-year-old and his stupid girlfriend -- fuck that cleavage, why would she show so much cleavage while everyone else is wearing space suits?

Playing on hard. By the last third part of the game, resource management has become quite hard. I'm running out of medic kits and the resources to make them. There is no proper way to buy medic kits at the kiosk. I literally run through the last third of the game at half HP. Combining that and the game's tendency to spawn multiple enemies simultaneously in front and in the back of the player, the combat difficulty is quite decent. Certainly much harder than any real popamole.

And the graphics are top-notch. I think if anyone is into sci-fi horro B-movies (like "Deep Rising"), this game is really enjoyable.

Edit: lol just found that one track of DS3's soundtrack is named "Mountains of Madness."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom