Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Space 3, or How To Fuck Up A Popamole Game

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So, yeah. Despite Dead Space being more of a popamole shooter kinda game, I actually enjoyed the first two games. So, uhm, I just finished downloading (read: torrented) the third game and I'm about 15 minutes in.

It's shit.

Everything about it feels wrong. The shooting is crap and doesn't feel as meaty and solid as the first two games. The movement has been revamped entirely, with the only thing separating this game from Gears of War is you don't have sticky-cover. You do, however, have a dodge button and a crouch button so you can hide behind cover. The game actually starts with you shooting humans. :/ Then when you get to the necromorphs they're nothing like the previous games. They're no longer lumbering, slow monsters, but instead more human-like and somewhat faster.

Even the health has been dumbed down. I don't even know what the inventory screen looks like because you no longer need to open it. You now have a hot-button to apply a medpack, meaning gone is the tension of having to open your inventory and use a medpack in the middle of a fight.

Then there's the story. I'm 15 minutes in and I've played as an unrelated character who finds a ship on an ice planet and has to retrieve a codex from it, then has to make a MAJESTIC escape as the ship falls over the edge of a mountain. Then you go back to Isaac, a bunch of military guys break into your apartment, they tell you they've got a job for you, then you get attacked by religious fanatics. Then you get shot, some religious nut reveals they've built markers on every human colony and then he activates them. Then you escape and everyone is suddenly necromorphs. That's pretty much where I stopped. So basically, it's got all the key elements of a MAJESTIC story right there. Religious fanatics unleash plague upon all humankind, up to you to stop them, blablabla.

Basically, DS3 is a signature EA game. First one was good, second one was passable, third one is shit. Nothing new for EA. Not even worth pirating. I'd rather go have a wank or something.

Bitcher1

Cipher
It's in vogue to bash EA, unless its a Bio title, you know.
And fucking up something that's already fucked up, shouldn't that result in incline?
That said, the changes you mention sure sound like something that would take away what little the series had to distinguish it from other shooters. Kind of shame, I suppose.

Even the health has been dumbed down. I don't even know what the inventory screen looks like because you no longer need to open it. You now have a hot-button to apply a medpack, meaning gone is the tension of having to open your inventory and use a medpack in the middle of a fight.

:lol: Are you actually saying you played through the first two games without knowing you can press Q to heal? Maybe you shouldn't be wanking during tutorials. And to actually think having to navigate that shitty inventory during a fight is a better way to play it is just... wow.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

:lol: Are you actually saying you played through the first two games without knowing you can press Q to heal? Maybe you shouldn't be wanking during tutorials.
Zip it, he was larping.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
They're no longer lumbering, slow monsters, but instead more human-like and somewhat faster.
Most necromorphs are very fast. The slow ones are more zerg like.

lightbane

Arcane
I'm more interested to know if the ending was cut to sell it later as DLC/is retarded and contradicts everything we know about the first two games.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:lol: Are you actually saying you played through the first two games without knowing you can press Q to heal? Maybe you shouldn't be wanking during tutorials. And to actually think having to navigate that shitty inventory during a fight is a better way to play it is just... wow.

I was just about to say this. The first 2 games have always had a healing button. What kind of retard would open the inventory in combat?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

I honestly didn't now you could do that in the first two games. I thought that they made you go into the inventory simply because it added more tension as you had to make yourself vulnerable in order to heal. Lol.

Anyway, the Kotaku review actually says people shouldn't play this game. It's hilarious. I was expecting every commercial review site to give this 9/10 again, no matter how much it sucked. EA is going to be shitting bricks. They want this game to sell 5 million copies.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'm just curious to see how EA reacts to this. I actually kinda get the feeling they were really depending on this game doing amazingly well and bringing in a stream of revenue, possibly because they need to cover up losses elsewhere.

Can't imagine the investors are going to be pleased with this.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People will still buy it for $60, play if for two hours, set it aside, and never get back to it. Such is the average AAA gamer these days.

The movement has been revamped entirely, with the only thing separating this game from Gears of War is you don't have sticky-cover.

Even though neither of DS games are exactly good I still feel like defending this one from dumb statements, so... I played it for few minutes (not 15, so I'm not as well informed as yourself) and the movement seems to be the same as in DS2, except you have buttons for crouching and rolling this time. How is that Gears of War-like exactly?
I would agree that shooting feels less satisfying somehow, but maybe there will guns that act in a cooler manner later, one can hope.
Oh, and the same shitty "half refresh rate" V. Sync is in. I guess they wanna stay true to their PC fans.

I'm just curious to see how EA reacts to this. I actually kinda get the feeling they were really depending on this game doing amazingly well and bringing in a stream of revenue, possibly because they need to cover up losses elsewhere.

Can't imagine the investors are going to be pleased with this.
they'll not care, blame piracy, blame people not accepting a new ip and go back churning crappy fifa x, nba y, nhl z and more and more sims.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Even though neither of DS games are exactly good I still feel like defending this one from dumb statements, so... I played it for few minutes (not 15, so I'm not as well informed as yourself) and the movement seems to be the same as in DS2, except you have buttons for crouching and rolling this time. How is that Gears of War-like exactly?
I would agree that shooting feels less satisfying somehow, but maybe there will guns that act in a cooler manner later, one can hope.[/quote]

It feels a lot more fluid, somehow. In the previous games it was a lot more cumbersome and tank-like. Even though the movement was merely shit and not intentional in previous games, it kinda made sense seeing as Isaac was armored like a tank.

Anyway, movement aside, I'm still trying to figure out what about the shooting I hate so much. I think it's the fact that your shots don't really seem to affect enemies.

Movement was a lot more fluid in second game already, it feels the same in this one to me. So anyway, glad to hear that fluid movement = popamole decline Gears of War shit. I like hearing new stuff.

Dexter

Arcane
I was first somewhat interested in it, since CoOp games seem rare enough even if it seems anti-thetic to the basic premise of the game, but it got the usual EA treatment:

- Day1 DLCs (and "announced" DLC)
- Microtransactions in SinglePlayer connected to crafting (a first one): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-micro-transactions-for-buying-better-weapons
- Exclusive to Origin
- They seemed to have fucked it up with several design choices, that it doesn't seem to be much like the Prequels anymore

There's a full list for the DLC crap over here for what they'd like to charge people aside from the main game: http://www.destructoid.com/dead-space-3-microtransaction-prices-revealed-243522.phtml
Bot Capacity Upgrade $4.99
Bot Personality Pack $4.99
First Contact Pack Free (wee, there's still free parts to a game supposed to cost $60)
Marauder Pack $4.99
Sharpshooter Pack $4.99
Tundra Recon Pack $4.99
Witness the Truth Pack $4.99
Bot Accelerator $4.99
Epic Weapon & Resource Pack $2.99
Online Pass $9.99
Ultra Weapon & Resource Pack $1.99
Resource Pack $0.99

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Movement was a lot more fluid in second game already, it feels the same in this one to me. So anyway, glad to hear that fluid movement = popamole decline Gears of War shit. I like hearing new stuff.

When your character is wearing an armor-plated suit, then yes.

Bribed press.

Pretty much this. I was expecting more 90% reviews coupled with 'Game of the year ALL YEARS' from publications. Maybe EA can't afford the bribes any longer? I've been suspecting them of being in pretty serious financial trouble for a while now. I mean, their shares are down from $100 in 2006 to $15 now and they've dropped off the NASDAQ index. Can't imagine their investors are happy with them.

Gord

Arcane
Enter room, get ambushed by monsters: The Game III

Is it Dead Space a Doom 3 clone then?
Although Doom 3 had a little more complex mechanics:
Enter room, lights turn off, get ambushed by monsters: The Game

:M

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
That was how the majority of Dead Space worked, but sometimes Dead Space would actually tense you up by NOT throwing anything at you when you were expecting it. You'd have a room that's perfectly set up for an ambush and nothing would happen. But overall, Dead Space isn't really scary because of its over-reliance on jump-scares.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom