Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Self-Ejected

The Game Analists

Self-Ejected
[deleted]

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I played it very briefly, it was p. fun but the people I larp with aren't much into that kind of stuff except for me and another guy.

Also, gotta thank DCC for keeping the spirit of D&D art alive in this age of incloosive deviant-art digital paintings.

Alex

catfood

AGAIN
I read the book from cover to cover and enjoyed every moment of it. It is written in such a way as to make you want to play the game, and most of the artwork is stunning. I haven't played it yet but I can't wait to give it a go once we finish up our Call of Cthulhu campaign.

catfood

AGAIN
Question for those who played it: how badly is the combat bogged down by having to look up tables for crits, spell casting and whatnot?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Question for those who played it: how badly is the combat bogged down by having to look up tables for crits, spell casting and whatnot?

It works pretty well since it doesn't throw everything at you at once if you start the game from the character funnel. Additionally, there are a ton of free fan-made products like quick reference sheets that makes looking up crits/fumbles a breeze. Spell lookups could take a lot of time if a referee fucks up and forgets that spells are a lot like magic items and should be rare and hard-won; a spell caster is going to be lucky to have more than 6 or 7 spells in his repertoire.

If anybody is really interested, there's a ton of resources available on the DCC RPG Google+ page.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105339967712243499289

The Purple Sorcerer tablet/Android/Iphone app is a must have for quick rules lookups and even rolling funky dice.
http://purplesorcerer.com/crawler/crawler.htm

Alchemist

Arcane
I love DCC, I even have one of these gold-foil beauties:
NQL3CL3.jpg

Played in a DCC campaign as a wizard a while back with my weekly group and it was a total blast. I love how it makes magic actually dangerous and unpredictable. And it really captures the pulpy sword and sorcery feel. It's one of the best and most interesting variants of D&D released in recent years for sure.

I plan to draw a lot of inspiration from DCC for my CRPG project, like the corruption mechanic and possibly mercurial magic.

One of my favorite pieces from the book - showing the progression of a wizard as he dabbles in too much magic:
QT9WHvE.png

Alchemist

Arcane
I really like the idea of not getting spells upon level up. I know some might ask why, but I love that idea. Having to learn that spells exist, and then raid ancient tombs and temples for spells is a great mechanic, it really ties into this idea i had years ago to improve the fable series.
I agree - it's much more interesting to have spells be closely guarded secrets, a goal of dungeon crawls or patron / demon bargaining, instead of just handing them out automatically. I'll probably have stuff like that in my game too... at least for the really powerful ones.

That's the strength of DCC - it really makes magic actually magical and mysterious again.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
That's how it should be. But players missed the point about wizardry, and those people ended up becoming designers.

nikolokolus

Arcane
For the mildly interested, Goodman is doing a print-run of Softcover rule-books for the 4th printing that are going to retail for about $25. I was able to preorder a couple of copies through the kickstarter for a table copy and a loaner. Keep your eye on the Goodman Games website in the next month or so or subscribe to their newsletter if you want a chance to grab one. I have a feeling they are going to disappear fast.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
I really like the idea of not getting spells upon level up. I know some might ask why, but I love that idea. Having to learn that spells exist, and then raid ancient tombs and temples for spells is a great mechanic
technically that's not quite true. a wizard gets a chance to learn new spells at every level up, but those are randomly rolled. he can choose to learn a specific spell if he gained access to it, like through a grimoire or a ancient scroll. in either case he has to roll a spell check specified by the dm to learn every new spell.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
For the mildly interested, Goodman is doing a print-run of Softcover rule-books for the 4th printing that are going to retail for about $25. I was able to preorder a couple of copies through the kickstarter for a table copy and a loaner. Keep your eye on the Goodman Games website in the next month or so or subscribe to their newsletter if you want a chance to grab one. I have a feeling they are going to disappear fast.

Just waiting for my silver foil copy, but no harm getting a few more to pass around the table.

nikolokolus

Arcane
At $15 a piece (for kickstarter backers only) it seemed like a no-brainer. I'll end up putting my gold foil, silver foil and Jeff Easley books in storage and lug the softcovers around when needed.

Alchemist

Arcane
I bought that module a while back, mainly because of the cover art. I love some good ol' Clyde Caldwell fantasy cheesecake. And it's great to see a classic TSR artist on the cover of a new gaming product. I have no idea what the module is like as I haven't read it yet, but Harley Stroh's stuff is usually good.

And there is a flaw in that complainer's logic (about it only being for straight white men and not LGBT people). Wouldn't lesbians actually love the cover?
:philosoraptor:

And to add an extra layer of irony, that same guy posted on the DCC G+ community. And here's his profile page background image:

sPMFxak.jpg

This made me wonder if it's all an elaborate attempt at trolling.

Alchemist

Arcane
That is a lovely cover! Yeah, that staff gives her +5 vs. male gaze attacks, and immunity to objectification... :lol:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Better than WotC, but that's not saying much. They were still a rather mixed bag. They got the old-school trade dress perfectly, and the basic concepts were gold, but the contents often didn't live up to the example set by classic TSR and Judges Guild. Many suffered from excessive linearity and a heavy focus on setpiece combat encounters (as opposed to a more even mixture of combat, exploration and light social interaction, which is closer to the old-school spirit). Some adventures, notably by Harley Stroh, were getting better - but overall, Necromancer Games did a better job with their product line in the 3.x period. I am not that familiar with GG's DCC modules, though; they may have improved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom