Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LucasArts Day of the Tentacle Remastered

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's funny - the HD mode looks great - very loyal the the original source. The only difference is the images are 16:9 - you can see it in the comparison pic at the end - the sides of the image are extended and you can see more of the room - but in looking at the comparison pic, I totally said to myself "I prefer the charm of the original". I dunno, for me, there was some magic in the pixels. It's just my personal preference, and probably because this is how games looked for me growing up - a new player would probably be like "WHY??? WHY GOD, WHY?" where as I look at the new images and scream to a non-existent deity "WHY GOD? WHY?". So, it's all a matter of taste. I like that you can switch back and forth between them, but honestly - the original is already voiced, I already own it, and ScummVM works great. I'll never play this on a console, so... uh. Yeah.

Bt

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
so... uh. Yeah.

Well put. You mentioned ScummVM, and in the back of my mind I thinking about the need (or lack of it) for a version that can run on modern computers when such a version already exists. I just can't see this as anything other than a money making exercise. I can understand that Tim Schaefer might have love for his creation, but the danger is he'd go full Lucas. Surely not. The old gits coming out of the woodwork to run through their hits one more time is beginning to resemble an old rock band that can't write songs any more and just focuses on rehashing the old. To many examples to bother referencing any.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I've always said all I wanted from such a remake was identical graphics redrawn in higher resolution. I think this is the first one that actually delivers :thumbsup:

Not too thrilled about interface and VA changes but if you can keep the originals then I'm sold.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've always said all I wanted from such a remake was identical graphics redrawn in higher resolution. I think this is the first one that actually delivers :thumbsup:

You're right there; they didn't fuck with the graphics and style, like, at all, which I think is awesome.

Bt

buzz

Arcane
Everything looks crisps and not blurry shit anymore

OMG THEY RUINED LOOK AT THIS SMALL CORNER IT'S ABSOLUTE SHIT WHERES THE ILLUSION OF DETAIL GIVEN BY BLURRY-ASS PIXELS?

:0-13:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Looks good in some places, not-so good in others.

Key point will be seeing and hearing it in action.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Everything looks crisps and not blurry shit anymore

OMG THEY RUINED LOOK AT THIS SMALL CORNER IT'S ABSOLUTE SHIT WHERES THE ILLUSION OF DETAIL GIVEN BY BLURRY-ASS PIXELS?

:0-13:

No actually the originals do have some better-looking details, the new one looks a bit too clean, like someone just re-traced the old paintings with a better pen.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Not bad. Nothing to cum at either.

First, it looks as if "devs" just softened the crap out of original assets. Either a filter or a vectorization tool. Certainly no actual new assets made from scratch. I SAID SO, etc.

Would be interesting to see a side to side comparison: the new version vs DosBox or ScummVM filtering. Can't say much in the matter, because I never use filters in the emulators and recently no emulators at all.

Second, the style. Let the simpletons discuss if it's an improvement over the old version or not. There's one fact: a change from one style to different one. Pixel cartoon graphics to "clean" cartoon graphics.

Third, the VA: usually I turn it off as soon as possible, so couldn't care less.

Anyway, the three points exclude me from potential customers.

Considering the "improvements" being limited to processing existing assets, one thing is certain: no chance for real remake of Zack, Maniac Mansion, the Last Crusade, not in any foreseeable future.

buzz

Arcane
"Pixel cartoon style" doesn't exist unless you're well-entrenched in nostalgia or you're some retro-loving hipster.

Pixel art was a necessity, not a choice.

It's like those retards who use a super 8mm filters (or actual film) so it looks like a shitty home video from the 60s/70s on purpose.

Of course I like the old look too. But at least I admit I'm a retrofag who gets hard over vintage hipster shit, not that it's "a different/superior style"

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Considering the "improvements" being limited to processing existing assets, one thing is certain: no chance for real remake of Zack, Maniac Mansion, the Last Crusade, not in any foreseeable future.

The Last Crusade alone would provide considerable problems because of trademarks and copyright. The other two provide a bigger problem for a different reason: The game design decisions made then, combined with the higher difficulty level these games offer compared to later LucasArts adventures, may be off-putting to the current gamer crowd. Besides, the target demographic that most enjoyed those two may be too old for the project to pay off.

"Pixel cartoon style" doesn't exist unless you're well-entrenched in nostalgia or you're some retro-loving hipster.

Pixel art was a necessity, not a choice.

I get this, but I also acknowledge that pixel art has its time and place. But almost every game released after 1990 did its darndest to get as FAR AWAY from pixel art as possible. It's only when the hipster crowd of today realized that pixel art = Super 8mm and overabused the concept to the point of nausea, that pixellated graphics became a thing again.

AngryKobold

Arcane

Pixel art was a necessity, not a choice."

"Pixel cartoon style" doesn't exists unless you're suffering from spectacular mental deficiencies.

Necessity or choice has nothing to do with logical existence of particular style.

From perspective of time, the uniqueness of pixel graphics is undisputable. A logical result of using a technique resulting with unique look of graphics. Was it a method of presentation of a regular drawing for technologically limited platform? Yes. Does it matter in this case? No, next time make some use of grey matter before writing a post.

AngryKobold

Arcane
The Last Crusade alone would provide considerable problems because of trademarks and copyright. The other two provide a bigger problem for a different reason: The game design decisions made then, combined with the higher difficulty level these games offer compared to later LucasArts adventures, may be off-putting to the current gamer crowd. Besides, the target demographic that most enjoyed those two may be too old for the project to pay off.

The copyrights might be a problem for Last Crusade. But I don't see the high difficulty as the main obstacle here. Monkey Island was difficult! For a dumb kid with the brain destroyed by fluoride and corn syrup: likely unbeatable without a walkthrough. Hell, even then it's hard, because a walkthrough requires some reading comprehension. After all the motivation behind certain puzzles was to promote selling of hint books. Don't forget the paid help line. Difficulty level of Monkey Island doesn't seem to hinder the sales.

As I wrote before, the main problem is popularity of the franchize. Monkey Island is still alive, Day of the Tentacle remains still recognizable. Maniac Mansion is not. The degenerated millenials don't know a shit about the older games. Not that I consider the older generations any better though... either way, no instant hype to ride on.

Oddly, the character of Maniac Mansion might fit the pathological niche of games for mobile devices. A pure puzzle game, no excessive dialogues or plot to bother with.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Second, the style. Let the simpletons discuss if it's an improvement over the old version or not. There's one fact: a change from one style to different one. Pixel cartoon graphics to "clean" cartoon graphics.
"Pixel cartoon style" doesn't exists unless you're suffering from spectacular mental deficiencies.
Looks like someone forgot to log onto his alt before posting.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Looks less detailed than old version. Not terrible remake, but a bit of charm was lost. Redone voice-over is probably horrible, I don't even want to hear it. 6/10 Play the original if possible.

Tim Schaefer is a fraud and Broken Age is literally worse than Hitler.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks less detailed than old version. Not terrible remake, but a bit of charm was lost. Redone voice-over is probably horrible, I don't even want to hear it. 6/10 Play the original if possible.

Tim Schaefer is a fraud and Broken Age is literally worse than Hitler.
Also, Tim rapes babies.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
New art isn't terrible, but it seems unnecessary. It would actually be cool if they were able to expand the original to 16:9 for modern screens, but even that seems like maybe they shouldn't.

I hope it includes the original art like they did with Grim Fandango, and the commentary is a nice addition.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Players are able to switch back and forth between classic and remastered modes, and mix and match audio, graphics and user interface to their heart's desire.
And all is right in the world. Haters can shut the fuck up!

Mozg

Arcane
Was hoping the flash-looking non-pixelated style would come with more than 2-fps animation to blow away the 'stalgia

I am the kind of guy that could argue for pixel graphics, but DotT animation... man. Particularly with such a Looney Tunesy exaggerated cartoon style, which has been holding up for what, 80 years now?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom