Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Dawn of War 3 - DAMNATIO MEMORIAE

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
They excluded nearly every feature of the first DoW which made it a classic + dumbed it down

Hate the Dota2 inspired front-end too. They are DESPERATE in trying to turn this into a rival e-sport (never gonna happen).

What a bunch of unimaginative cuckolds.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/04/20/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-3-review/

Wot I Think: Warhammer 40,000 – Dawn of War 3
Fraser Brown on April 20th, 2017 at 3:01 pm.

DoW3-1.jpg

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 3 [official site] wants to be everything you like about the series, and its very different predecessors, in a single RTS. Missed the big armies and the base building? They’re back. Prefer fighting with beefy heroic units with lots of special abilities? They’re here too. It’s trying to be all things to all men, women, Orks and Eldar, and crikey does it come close to succeeding. So close you can hear the heavy metal roar of an Ork Waaagh tower and the thudding of Space Marine boots.

For the first time, Relic have put all three of their favourite factions on equal footing straight away instead of holding all but the Space Marines back for expansions. The heavily armoured space fascists, Orks and Eldar share the spotlight in both the campaign and multiplayer – a relief after the spate of Space Marine-only affairs. And it’s in the design of these factions that Relic have done some of their strongest work.

Each group scratches an itch. The Emperor’s finest are like a fist smashing a face: punchy. They charge and leap with bolters blasting and swords held high, getting into brawls quickly and pinning down fleshy foes with big hammers and even bigger knockbacks. They’re as subtle as a fart in an elevator, as evidenced by their special ability: they can queue up drop pods, containing more Space Marines, primed to be dropped right on the heads of their foes.

DoW3-2.jpg

The Eldar and Orks aren’t quite as intuitive, but benefit from an additional layer of complexity. The former, along with their speed and predilection for fast, ranged strikes, can link up buildings to create a web of teleporters, and even teleport the buildings themselves. They’re perfect for hit-and-run tactics and surprise assaults. Their green enemies, on the other hand, overwhelm with numbers and the power of their psychic rage – the Waaagh. They grow in strength as they loot and salvage scrap to be used for upgrades, new vehicles and additional Waaagh towers.

While all three factions feature a broad range of line units, from melee units that can lock down enemies to ranged troops who fire devastating weapons that need time to set up, they still feel fundamentally different. Here’s an example of Marine combat.

Gabriel Angelos and a couple of squads of Tactical Marines are surrounded by pumped-up Orks, roaring and flailing with their cruel axes. They’re outnumbered, health rapidly being whittled down, and they can’t make it back to their base. Angelos, an Elite and thus blessed with more health and a suite of handy abilities, could make a break for it. He could leap over the Orks and leg it to safety, leaving his men behind. Instead, he leaps up, not over, and when he lands in the centre of the green tide, every enemy in the area flies backwards.

DoW3-3.jpg

With extra breathing room, Angelos’ troops open fire, but they’re quickly forced back into desperate melee duels by another wave of enemies – enemies too busy to watch the skies. A roaring noise competes with the din of battle followed by, seconds later, two explosions. Two more rings of Orks are flung backwards. The drop pod doors open up with fresh soldiers pouring out, setting up firing positions and chasing down fleeing Nobz and Boyz.

Swap out the Space Marines for Eldar and the story changes. With their speed and penchant for slowing enemies, they really shouldn’t be surrounded in the first place, but if they are, they’re in a bit of a pickle. A whole jar of pickles. Eldar have a lot of strengths, but sustained melee engagements ain’t one of them – they crumble faster than me after a brisk jog, which is to say very quickly and with no small amount of embarrassment. Still, there are ways for them to escape using clouds of smoke and handy stuns, but if they choose to duke it out with the Orks, they won’t come out of it nearly as well as Angelos and his buds.

Some people will scoff at the idea that MOBAs can teach RTS games anything, but the MOBA inspiration behind unit design and ability synergy is a massive boon here. Though not quite as developed as the heroes from the likes of Dota or Heroes of the Storm, every unit – not just the Elites – has a hook and an ability that make them a valuable part of a team. And this goes well beyond the rock, paper, scissors formula. The value of a unit is more fluid, more situational, and depends on the squads around them creating opportunities.

It would be lovely, though, if everyone could maybe die… less? Or at least at a slower rate. It’s a bit of a jump from the incredibly hardy but small squads of Dawn of War 2 to these considerably more vulnerable facsimiles. It’s hard to get invested in a unit when they could get wiped out in a few seconds. It’s almost like Space Marine armour is actually made out of polystyrene. Sure, it’s lighter, and it’s probably more comfortable, but is comfort worth dying over?

DoW3-4.jpg

The scarcity of properly hardy soldiers is something I could perhaps live with if there were more ways to mitigate damage. Unfortunately, after experimenting with a cover system in DoW2, Relic have chucked it in the bin in favour of no cover system at all. There are capturable areas that provide a destructible shield, but there’s no guarantee that you’ll be fighting anywhere near one; nor is one bit of cover really going to stop a lot of your troops from being riddled with holes. I like the clarity of these defensible positions, but there’s no flexibility. The result is that a great number of fights are pitched battles in open areas.

Line of sight and high ground have an impact, and hidden units – either through an ability or an area that cloaks them – mean that sneak attacks and ambushes are perfectly viable tactics, so battles are never just a matter of smashing armies together, but there’s no real room for a defensive player. As well as a dearth of cover to hide behind, there are incredibly few fortification options and units aren’t capable of being garrisoned in buildings. This is especially strange when you consider the multiplayer mode, which involves protecting your team’s power core while trying to take out the opposition’s.

Everyone is on the offensive in multiplayer. You might, like I did at first, build up your forces, protect some important resource points, and keep an eye on your power core, but you won’t make many friends, and your allies will probably blame you for the loss. Maybe they’re assholes, but they might also be right. If you’re not constantly harassing the enemy, taking out their Elites, and generally getting up to mischief, then you’re probably not helping.

DoW3-5.jpg

That’s not really the important bit, mind. Who cares what your team thinks? The real problem is that playing defensively is so incredibly, dreadfully, mind-numbingly dull. Got a couple of guys hiding behind some smoke? Placed someone in the magical shield bubble? Great, you’re pretty much done. Build some more units, I guess? So now you’re bored and you aren’t really helping.

That aside, Dawn of War 3’s multiplayer battles are still great. 3v3 in particular is a glorious mess of clashing armies and territorial punch-ups. Here’s the gist: two teams duke it out over their respective power cores, each placed at opposite ends of the map. To take out a power core, at least one of the turrets protecting it must be destroyed, and to take out a turret, you’ve got to take out the shield generator protecting it. And to keep the conflict going at all times, resource points dot the map and create new objectives for players to fight over.

With so many targets and an escalation system that increases resource generation and building health every 10 minutes, there’s an aggressive, relentless flow to these battles, and first blood is usually spilled within the first minute. With drop pods falling from the skies, buildings teleporting willy-nilly and giant Elite units slaughtering entire squads in seconds, it can be chaotic and sometimes hard to parse, but this chaos is also the source of some of the most exhilarating RTS brawls I’ve had the pleasure to win and lose.

DoW3-6.jpg

While the constant attack, attack, attack might seem repetitive, there’s plenty of diversity when it comes to choosing how you’re going to be aggressive. See, before every multiplayer match, and to a lesser extent campaign mission, you choose a loadout – three MOBA-like Elites and six doctrines, essentially augments and buffs. These can dramatically change the tone of your forces, or shore up any gaps in their capabilities.

Orks aren’t very sneaky. They are too loud and, let’s face it, too smelly for stealth. But with the right combination of Elites and doctrines, they can be almost as sly as the Eldar. Zapnoggin’, for instance, can teleport groups of Orks into or out of trouble with his fancy Ork magic, while one of their doctrines allows them to hide underneath the scrap they normally use to unlock new weapons and armour, littering the battlefield with potential ambush sites.

Doctrines and Elites require skulls before they can be unlocked, however. You can earn a fair amount of currency from the campaign and keep earning it through multiplayer matches. I’m still not entirely convinced by the unnecessarily complicated system, however. You’ve got army doctrines that are, not surprisingly, army wide; presence doctrines, which only work if the Elite they’re connected to is present on the battlefield; and command doctrines that work when a specific Elite is in your loadout. Then you’ve got to take into account levels, because command doctrines can only be unlocked when an Elite reaches level 3, and when it hits level 8 that same doctrine can be unlocked as an army doctrine and… I’m losing you, I know I am.

DoW3-7.jpg

I’m some 1,600 words into this Wot I Think and you’re probably starting to notice that I’ve been avoiding the campaign. Unfortunately this is not because I’ve been building up to Dawn of War 3’s best feature. Nothing about it works for me. Not the paper-thin characters, not the plodding story, not the endless journeys across maps that keep growing. There are a few individual missions that I’ve definitely clicked with, but as a whole, the campaign is…well, it’s a disappointment. It’s the one place where Relic’s attempt to merge elements from the two earlier games doesn’t really work, and the juxtaposition of linear, scripted missions with base building is incredibly awkward, cursing many missions with a confusing pace.

They usually start out by limiting your army to a handful of squads and forcing you down a bunch of corridors, fighting your way from A to B. Without wrinkles like cover, suppression and resources, it feels more like Diablo than an RTS. Sometimes, that’s the entire mission. A few squads and an Elite, jogging from one end of the map to the other. The majority, however, let you start building a base during the second phase of the mission. That’s when things start to feel like a strategy romp again, with armies duking it out over capture points and assaulting each other’s HQs.

DoW3-8.jpg

I’d still do terrible things for a more reactive campaign AI, mind you. It feels like enemies never really act unless the invisible director tells them to. When they attack, it’s because they’ve reached that point in the mission when they’re meant to try to take out your base. When fast patrols start scouting and hunting down your minions, it’s because it’s part of a secondary objective, not just something an enemy with common sense would do.

Aside from Homeworld, Relic’s best campaigns tend to be non-linear and based around capturing territory across one or more campaign maps – a simulation of actual warfare. It’s desperately needed here. Without it, there aren’t enough decisions for players to make. From start to finish, the campaign feels like you’re playing someone else’s story, not your own. And while decent RTS campaigns increasingly feel like my white whale, I can usually depend on Relic for something better.

DoW3-9.jpg

There are moments, many of them, during multiplayer and AI skirmishes, where I’m absolutely certain that Dawn of War 3 is the best game in the series, even with its missteps when it comes to cover and fortifications. I could happily continue rambling on about the brilliant faction design or how I still squeal with glee every time I drop a gargantuan beast of an Elite like Imperial Knight Solaria into a fight – you haven’t lived until you’ve witnessed her impossibly huge guns turning an army of Orks into green-red paste. If you’re only interested in the campaign, however, then you’re unlikely to find as much to get enthused about.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 3 is out on April 27th.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...brutal-beautiful-and-inconsistently-brilliant

Dawn of War 3 is brutal, beautiful, and inconsistently brilliant
Hammer time.

jpg

Editor's note: this is an early verdict on Dawn of War 3 based on a full campaign playthrough and a couple of hours in multiplayer. Watch out for our final thoughts after release, once we've had a chance to see how the online holds up in the wilds.

Twelve missions deep into Dawn of War 3's campaign, I'm getting a little tense. It's been an enjoyable, if predictable ride so far; the story's a schlocky, quintessentially 40k epic of stoicism, but all pretty steady-as-she-goes as far as mission design.

Now, though, things are hotting up. I've breezed through the previous mashups of survive-kill-repeat, but this battle's not going quite so smoothly. No sooner had I guided Gabriel Angelos to the rescue of his scattered, ever-vigilant brothers than they died, bellows of "servitude!" and "xenos!" and "honor!" making little difference to what must have been hundreds of onrushing Orks.

After taking out a giant Ork tractor beam, the purpose of which I can't reveal (or really understand, but then, that's the fun of the Orks), all I have to do is hold out until extraction. Typical RTS stuff. But at this point I have just one Dreadnought left, a few Devastator Marines, my elites - Angelos, alongside his friends the Librarian Jonah Orion and Chaplain Diomedes - and, well that's about it.

The Dreadnought finishes dismantling the tractor beam, but then down goes Angelos - I'd left him a little overexposed, having gone after a backline of Shoota Boys - and now I'm in real trouble. Swarms of Ork cannon fodder plow into the heavy cover my Devastators were using and with that, the cathartic churn of bolter-fire winds down. I lay out a quick combo from the Librarian, squelching a good three squads of greenskins with a shock of lightning and sealing several others within a temporary walled arena for the Dreadnought to do the rest. But Diomedes is caught outside the wall - I had no choice! - and a few valiant thunks of the hammer later, down he goes. The Librarian follows, and now it's just the trusty Dreadnought. He's served me well, that Dreadnought. I almost want to wipe away a tear as he turns another four xenos to red mush with a resplendent Slam, slugging away in the face of the inevitable. It's another twenty seconds until Angelos can redeploy, and our enemies are all around us.

Sure enough the Dreadnought implodes, and that's Mission Failed. A good forty-five minutes down the drain at this point - there are no checkpoints, astonishingly, even in missions much longer than this. But then, that's three quarters of an hour I'd gladly relive.

jpg

Gorgutz's Orks are a shining beacon of comic relief in an otherwise moody campaign.

This, for me, is Dawn of War 3 at its best, at least so far. I'm certain the people at Relic have their own ideas as to what DoW 3's high points are - the scale of the combat is probably the stand-out feature at a glance. But whilst I'll never really tire of seeing a towering Wraithknight powerslide on its knees through tiny squealing Orks - half rockstar, half drunk dad kicking over your LEGO - it's the little things that really grab me, the horribly difficult multitasking and micromanagement that is, of course, an essential part of any RTS.

Down here in the genre's trenches, DoW3 separates itself from the pack. It's equal parts infuriating and enthralling, thanks to one of the most talked-about new modifications to the formula: an active ability system ripped from the strategy relative everyone loves to hate, the MOBA.

On the surface, it's really just a few more active abilities for certain units, mapped to the QWER buttons in mimicry of how MOBA set up your abilities. It's a painfully simple change, but this may be one of the best evolutionary tweaks to real time strategy that we've seen in some time, because whilst micromanagement is already pretty much everything in real time strategy, here it's ramped up to even greater importance.

Campaign missions - take my failed survival attempt as an example - often scatter the map with various optional sub-objectives, from rescuing isolated Marines to seeking out collectibles or adding new followers to your cause. They aren't handled in hugely inventive ways - it's normally a case of "go to the smaller objective marker on your map and kill something" - but having to split your troops between multiple fronts makes a considerable difference.

Active abilities are also doled out more generously than you might have been led to believe, with near enough every unit in the game holding at least one. Whilst the Elites have been put front and centre in much of DoW3's messaging and, indeed, the story, they aren't much more important in-game than the toughest units from previous entries, save for the absolute top-tier, late-game walkers. Terminators are Terminators. It's just that for them to work as effectively as you'd expect, you might need to pay a little more active attention.

jpg

One of many unlockable Doctrines, which look a little dull but bring huge influence to each game.

More attention is required of you before you get into a game, too. Before each campaign mission and multiplayer game you'll need to select up to three Elite units, and three Doctrines - Dawn of War's take on the pre-match Intel Bulletins of Relic's own Company of Heroes 2, or dare I say it, League of Legends' Runes and Masteries. These are modifiers, unlocked by spending Skulls, an in-game currency awarded for completing campaign missions or online matches (Dawn of War's extensive army painter also returns, so you can tailor the look of your units).

But where some versions of this concept don't make much impact - a half percent accuracy increase here or there - Doctrines grant opportunities for a noticeable shift in playstyle. You can apply a Doctrine that lets Orks heal by looting scrap, for example, or go with Listening Posts that reinforce your Space Marine troops on the front line. They can also unlock both passive and active abilities for some units that otherwise lack them. The variety there, particularly when coupled with choosing Elites - do I go early game rush with some quick-to-unlock assassins, or late game tech with a huge walker unit and some high-cost soldiers? - and on top of being restricted to three Doctrines at a time, represents another welcome layer of strategy and control.

As I spend more time in the multiplayer in the coming days, I'm hoping the pre-game decision-making will give rise to a lively, evolving meta after launch. But there's also a handful of things I'd like to see improved on.

The most prominent, albeit nebulous, of those is resource flow. Dawn of War 3 centres on the same two resources as the original, Requisition and Power, plus new Elite Points. Relic has toyed with that balance for some time now, not just within their 40k franchise, so it's disappointing to find things a little out of tune here. I've often found myself with huge sums of spare Requisition and not a shred of Power, despite upgrading my captured points wherever possible.

More time is needed to play around with builds and opposition in multiplayer before really addressing that side of things, of course, but then, I'm largely drawing from my experiences in single-player. Resource points have different kinds of output - some you can build two Power generators on, for example, others none at all - and these aren't always logically distributed in campaign missions, which don't always give you a base at all. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I just cannot fathom why I'd be handed a fully-functioning base in a mission, only to have my ability to produce units from it totally kneecapped.

jpg

I've ventured into online a couple of times. It's as flashy as it looks, but more on this to come.

There are, likewise, a couple of things that Relic seem to have glossed over as regards their forays into neighbouring genres. For one, there's a curious sluggishness in response to your inputs in DoW3, with units often waiting half a second before moving or changing course. Bearing in mind Relic's justification for removing the fan-loved death animations of the original DoW - a necessity, the developer has said, to ensure absolute control in competitive matches - having such painfully slow responses in a world where eSports players move from one coast of America to the other in search of 8 millisecond ping is a real blemish.

I have other, minor gripes - years of League of Legends have made me alarmingly snobbish about tooltip clarity, for one thing ("Land Speeders fight harder when they are behind enemy lines" could mean anything!) - but I'll be reserving judgment on these and more important issues like the AI, balancing and the general flow of online matches until our full review.

For now though, there are signs of serious promise. Bringing it back to that button-mapping for just another second, this feels like the RTS equivalent of the moment everyone sat down and decided that controllers have two analog sticks and the jump button goes where PlayStation put the X. What's more, DoW3 has more going on than both previous games combined when it comes to scale, tone and the straight-up phwoarr-factor of battle. Whether or not those brilliant highs are undermined by a couple of clumsily missed marks will become clear enough soon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-review-in-progress/

Dawn of War 3 review in progress
A flawed but fun strategy game that blends genres.

The multiplayer mode is an important part of Dawn of War 3, so we've chosen to test the game on live servers before delivering our final verdict. Meanwhile, here's our review in progress.

I like big hammers and I cannot lie. It's thus a good thing the title of Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 3 suggests that's par for the course, even if this is the future version where most of the Orks and humans have put aside their swords for kickass gunnery. Not all, though. Take Gabriel Angelos. He's an elite space marine with a massive mallet who knocks aside enemy troops with ease and leaps and slams down his hammer with the force of an earthquake. When the man comes around, Orks fly away in chunks like salt scattered in the wind, creating a spectacle of gore that would make John Wick grin.

It's not uncommon for named heroes in games to enjoy greater effectiveness than their unnamed comrades, but in both the multiplayer mode and campaign they perform like a riding lawnmower surging through an overgrown yard. That can make the power fantasies of the campaign particularly tasty, but in the multiplayer mode, the strength of elites like Gabriel trivialize the careful queuing of units like snipers and infantry. Like so much about Dawn of War 3, elites champion spectacle, sometimes even to the detriment of the strategy. I found quite a bit of fun in that spectacle, but it wasn't always the kind I expected.

In fact, I expected more spectacle in the campaign, which kicks off on the besieged planet Cyprus and leads to a few surprising alliances and a hunt for the mysterious Spear of Khaine. The spectacle is there, in a way, especially in the flashy, crowded particle effects that accompany the colorful battlefields and units, but it takes a ridiculously long time for the plot to move into anything deeper than "the Orks are attacking and we need to do something about it." That's hardly surprising; the campaigns in the Dawn of War series were ever about preparing you for the multiplayer mode rather than delivering a rich story. It's a shame, as Dawn of War 3 has the ingredients on hand to deliver such a tale. With each new mission, you're put at the helm of either the space marine, Eldar, or Ork factions, thus giving you a chance to familiarize yourself with the special units of each and to grow invested in faction's story.

In theory, anyway. One of the design choices that makes the stories in the Warcraft and StarCraft series go great is the way they usually immerse you in each faction for several missions at a time, thus allowing you to keep each's faction's skills freshly in mind as you move from mission to mission. By the time you complete one's story, you're a master. That would be especially helpful here considering the many satisfying ways the factions differ from each other, whether it's the Orks' exclusive ability to hunt for scattered scrap for upgrades or the Eldar's ability to teleport almost all of their buildings and units to various points on the map.

In Dawn of War 3, though, I found myself jumping from faction to faction every single mission, and the experience always felt jarring. It's not without its bright points. The Orks, as always, brim with personality, and one of Dawn of War's strengths lies in the personality it gives to units and squads, such as when an Ork cries out "I didn't think this through!" when running blindly in front of a turret. One of my favorite missions popped up early on when the Orks had to move a giant cannon across the map by firing it periodically with the kickback, all while fighting off Eldar.

The multiplayer mode, which allows for 1v1, 2v2, or 3v3 battles, is the true star. It comes off as a flawed one, though, as the elites command the field as strongly there as they do in the campaign. In both settings, you need to build some elite points through general gameplay to summon elite units like Gabriel, but once units like him are in the field, their massive DPS tends to shatter any attempts at normal real-time strategy. Frankly, considering Gabriel's relatively small "hero point" cost to summon, he comes off as more than a little unbalanced. Elite are so ridiculously effective in general that more than once my matches devolved into just two elites duking it out on the field, and players would often simply turtle around their base until they had enough points to summon one of the elites they'd chosen in the loadout screen before the match.

The sole existing 'Power Core' mode resembles nothing so much as a MOBA with eight maps, with the main difference being that you're controlling every unit instead of one. Both here and in the main campaign, there are several welcome throwbacks to earlier real-time strategy elements such as base building, and the need to capture resource points and upgrade your units with those resources.

But otherwise, if you've played a MOBA, you know what to expect. There's a base—the power core—that you need to destroy and capture, but not before destroying the shield generator protecting the enemy's base and then blasting some giant turrets. One of the maps even has MOBA-like lanes. Elite units like Gabriel are effectively a MOBA's hero units (and some are better than others), and everything else amounts to mere fodder. You can use that fodder in smart ways, such as by using stealth units for reconnaissance or by using aerial units like the Eldar's Vyper to blast away at enemies safely from afar. But almost all of them, whether it's the melee focused Howling Banshees of the Eldar or the transport "Trukks" or the Orks, come off as puny mortals compared to the godliness that is elites. And Gabriel? I've focused on him because (as I said) I like big hammers, but he's nothing compared to Imperial Knight Solaria, who sometimes seems as though she and her giant chaingun-equipped mech could clear the entire map herself.

I expected matches would be quick because of the powers of the elite units, but in fact they're kind of slow. Each one tended to drag on for at least half an hour. I suspect that partly had to do with the ability of the elite units to turn the tide, as it's necessary to re-summon a ton of units from the barracks after they wipe the others out.

But I can't help but admit that I always had fun. A lot of that had to do with flashy animations such as Gabriel smashing his hammer down on unsuspecting Orks, and the careful characterization given to each type of unit. Based on sound alone, it's difficult to forget that you're in the Warhammer universe, and that's a good thing. Elites may be powerful on their own, but they work best when accompanied by a smart assortment of accompanying troops, such as snipers who can beat down any unwanted rabble that comes along. If you play your pieces right and focus, it's even possible for the little guys to take down an elite.

I've expressed a lot of worry about elites being too strong, but I also admire their surprising variety in both appearance and abilities. One the one hand you have Imperial Knight Solaria with her chaingun mech, but on the other you might have the Eldar's Farseer Macha, who can toss her spear across the map and wreak havoc on troublesome enemies or blow away enemies around her with a blast from her mind.

As a bonus, Dawn of War 3 ran smoothly, too, with no disconnects or annoying framerate problems dragging down the action as battles grew more intense. The MOBA similarities seem to suggest that Dawn of War 3 intends to draw in audiences that usually aren't all that big on real-time strategy games, and few things break the familiar patterns quite like two dudes with massive health pools pummeling each other on the field. Dawn of War 3 benefits from a number of tweaks to the familiar RTS formula as well. For one, there are the new "doctrines" you can equip before each match, such as one that heals all the troops around Gabriel when he falls in battle. Elsewhere, one of Dawn of War 3's chief pleasures is the new options for super weapons like the Space Marines' option to initiate an orbital bombardment that could easily turn the tide at the moment of seeming defeat.

If I were to pass judgement on it now, I'd call Dawn of War 3 flawed but fun. The flashy animations might chase away Warhammer fans who can't bear the thought of guy in terminator armour flipping into battle. There's certainly fun here, though, and I'll be back with a fuller review explaining whether that means it represents a new dawn for the real-time strategy genre as a whole.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
So they gutted DoW series to turn it into mutliplayer faggotry that koreans will be able to play as esport.

Everybody talks about RPG decline, but RTS are the genre that really got the short end of the stick. I mean fuck, this is like jump from earilest call of duties with good SP campaign to.. whatever it is now.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So they gutted DoW series to turn it into mutliplayer faggotry that koreans will be able to play as esport.

They already did that for Dow2. The "moba elements" there (aka awesome buttons) made the multiplayer near-unplayable without multiple house rules and gentlemen's agreements, not to mention they were all so horrible to balance that Reric used to juggle balance patches constantly to nerf the ridiculous boardwipes and other shit. That Dow3 apparently kept the awesome buttons and now they are even straight-up advertised as "moba elements" is really all I need to know about the game to decide that I should never bother with it.

manassassas

Novice
Each to their own but those above reviews leave me cold. I was hoping DoW3 would be the game to give the whole RTS genre a bit of a kick start in the same way the first game did but it looks like that ain't gonna happen. Looks like I face yet another year of becoming even more of a grognard.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Each to their own but those above reviews leave me cold. I was hoping DoW3 would be the game to give the whole RTS genre a bit of a kick start in the same way the first game did but it looks like that ain't gonna happen. Looks like I face yet another year of becoming even more of a grognard.
That would have been bad but since in summer we are getting SC Remastered and it will have matchmaking the year is saved.

Shadenuat

Arcane
rolf they made Macha look just like on 1000 y.o farseer virgin fanart up to red triangles tattoo

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Any image for Diomedes? I heard he is a Chaplain elite. I was hopeful they would get the same voice actor...and screaming, but I am less optimistic of that now.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I think bigger problem than not getting moonies is the missing popularity by lack of pirate versions. No pirate versions -> children move away from gaming -> children when employed will not use Steam sales to spend moonies.

Game developers always were in harsh competition with 15 $/mo unlimited movie stream service. There is a lot of shit they can waste theirs free time, and they have limited time.

In theirs case a lackluster single player campaign, and focus on MP, means it will need to be at least as interesting MP as with SC2. Or well... We have Vermititude, that space combat WH40K game, and TW WH. Warhammer is no longer exclusive club, and a lot of companies can do it better. So far 3 factions, and MP gameplay I seen was bit repetitive. People were saying it's tedious.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Imperial Knight model looks awesome. But wtf is up with the MOBA/MMO terminology? That's some serious heresy in muh 40k.

Aothan

Magister
have not heard of any mmo connections but the moba claims are misplaced, if a little balance is required for the hero units that can come about quickly enough, and some of the larger types such as the walkers are easily focused with specialised Eldar technology

here is a good overview of gameplay basics and essentials for those interested

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom