Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Dawn of War 3 - DAMNATIO MEMORIAE

A horse of course

I dunno, comic book style screams European action-RPG budget.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Even if the game turns out to be good, going from 9 (12 with mods) factions of DoW1 to 3 in DoW3 will be a massive bummer. Hope they have some expansions planned or something.
They may sell a new faction for at least 14.99€ each. They will be just reskins with one or two special units, but will be worth it.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I hope they will have an actual dlc expansion with a campaign like Chaos Rising for DoW2 that will introduce Chaos as a faction not long after the game is released

Aothan

Magister
please stop sending Fire Prisms into close-range crossfire with multiple anti-vehicle squads

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
They released more faction information on Eldar and Orcs, including the ultimate abilities.

https://www.dawnofwar.com/article/faction-focus-pick-your-army

Edit: All the ultimate abilities appear to a slightly different take on an AoE beam, which is disappointing.

Also, to my surprise, the Ork abilities seem geared towards defense&hold tactics. Specifically, Orks have the build towers or kill enough units (for scrap) to obtain buffs from scrap/Waagh.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Even if the game turns out to be good, going from 9 (12 with mods) factions of DoW1 to 3 in DoW3 will be a massive bummer. Hope they have some expansions planned or something.
They may sell a new faction for at least 14.99€ each. They will be just reskins with one or two special units, but will be worth it.
That would be more consumer friendly than selling DLC with generals (ie special powers for MP and zero content) like they did with Company of Heroes 2.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But you cannot have The Balance™ in a game with many factions.
Better to have only three so you can have years of patches to fiddle with 0.05% increases here and there until everything is perfectly balanced for the 1k people that still play.

Aothan

Magister
Dawn of War II was never properly balanced I'm afraid, for all the fun as the 'meta' gradually permeated the collective psyche the issues became all the more pronounced. Ork shootas with an economy that cannot be hindered (even when losing) becomes really noticeable the more these aspects organise deliberate strategy and tactical directions over the course of a game. Early Chaos Nurgle units, area of effect abilities (at every stage), and multiple Zoanthropes etc Perhaps worse of all was Imperial Guard but that was rarer because of the coordination required

all things considered whether it is three or nine+ factions without a team focused on maintaining balance with regular updates (more than every 2.5 years) issues are going to become problematic regardless, and as a long term DoW player I would prefer modest balance and nine or more factions over perfect balance with three factions. I'll play for fun with moderate balance over perfect competitive play anytime; in the modern gaming environment it is practically all or nothing in the competitive scenes these days. This is why newly released multiplayer games are more fun in the first few years where novelty and strategy are at times more relevant. Before the meta i.e. balance defines a lot of gameplay. When DoW II was newly released I would open with two Shuriken cannons (much weaker back then) that would deter players but also lead them into thinking the design was not going to stop their growing Space Marine army, and yet, when they saw the unusually early Wraithlord which was the essential purpose of opening with platforms they would leave the game

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
When DoW II was newly released I would open with two Shuriken cannons (much weaker back then) that would deter players but also lead them into thinking the design was not going to stop their growing Space Marine army, and yet, when they saw the unusually early Wraithlord which was the essential purpose of opening with platforms they would leave the game
Quite the opposite. Shurikens were a bit op early dow2 (no power cost, full damage and suppression at max range). The wraithlord too, iirc was rather quickly nerfed...

Ofc, I may be remembering beta when I think about it. Not sure.

Aothan

Magister
Shurikens were substantially improved in one of the last official updates, which is about six years after release. The Wraithlord also had some modest improvements to its upgrades but has always been powerful if rather open to being isolated and easily countered. Conversely Dreadnoughts take vast amounts of damage and the Chaos varieties can teleport and charge away. Eldar have an interesting list of nerfs over the course of the game's history when considering they were never the dominant force to begin with. The observation here is that Warhammer games inhere a predictable amount of personal bias which is often expressed on the forums. It was frequently said Eldar players lament balance but the reality is it was almost always Space Marine players who were the most audible in expressing any sense of possible 'balance', likewise the other factions but they usually had the advantage anyway. The same observations of player psychology and its categorisable patterns will most probably bear out in DoW III

edit: actually the plasma grenade change was one obvious area for balance, when grenades would shortly detonate after being thrown, and the Warp Spider commander's entangling web ability cooldown or something else (in combination with grenades) was an understandable change. I really don't think the Banshee knockdown had to be taken out, making Banshees what they are today, but the ability has returned in Dow III

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dawn of War II was never properly balanced I'm afraid, for all the fun as the 'meta' gradually permeated the collective psyche the issues became all the more pronounced. Ork shootas with an economy that cannot be hindered (even when losing) becomes really noticeable the more these aspects organise deliberate strategy and tactical directions over the course of a game. Early Chaos Nurgle units, area of effect abilities (at every stage), and multiple Zoanthropes etc Perhaps worse of all was Imperial Guard but that was rarer because of the coordination required

all things considered whether it is three or nine+ factions without a team focused on maintaining balance with regular updates (more than every 2.5 years) issues are going to become problematic regardless, and as a long term DoW player I would prefer modest balance and nine or more factions over perfect balance with three factions. I'll play for fun with moderate balance over perfect competitive play anytime; in the modern gaming environment it is practically all or nothing in the competitive scenes these days. This is why newly released multiplayer games are more fun in the first few years where novelty and strategy are at times more relevant. Before the meta i.e. balance defines a lot of gameplay. When DoW II was newly released I would open with two Shuriken cannons (much weaker back then) that would deter players but also lead them into thinking the design was not going to stop their growing Space Marine army, and yet, when they saw the unusually early Wraithlord which was the essential purpose of opening with platforms they would leave the game
Indeed, I never understood their insistance on doing mega patch instead of small balance tweaks.
Changing one thing at a time also helps keep things under control (I remember when they both increased the damage of the Chaos Defiler and correct the bugs in its AI, which turned it from under to overpowered).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Updating in big chunks helps with internal debugging, though.
Like, giving your testers a big chunk of new things to test at once is simply cheaper than letting them test smaller things more often.

Of course, with games, you should let your users test on an optional development branch, but many developers don't do that for some reason.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Voice acting for gorgutz is 0/10. WTF happened to relic? They used to Ace that stuff, now its just baed.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Voice acting for gorgutz is 0/10. WTF happened to relic? They used to Ace that stuff, now its just baed.
The Ork voice acting as a whole feels off. I somewhat like the visuals of the Orks adding scrap to their armor, etc, but overall the Orks seem lacking. Also, a severe lack of WAAGGHHH.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
But you cannot have The Balance™ in a game with many factions.
Better to have only three so you can have years of patches to fiddle with 0.05% increases here and there until everything is perfectly balanced for the 1k people that still play.
Multiplayer was a mistake and ruins everything.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Orc Mission

this game looks boring as hell

an interesting way to make the ork faction in game is to make them the most overpowerd faction ever with lots of tough brute-force units but make them undisciplined with fights breaking between units, not always following orders so the player also has to discipline them a la Dungeon Keeper by slapping them around

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom