Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Dawn of War 3 - DAMNATIO MEMORIAE

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
tgW6sqo.jpg

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And the "funniest" thing is that they will probably blame it on those "aggressive campaigns" and "irrational hatred" against their game, and will likely stay completely oblivious to the actual reasons.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
BTW, What do you guys think about DoW 2 - worth getting? Loved the first one, but when I saw the direction they took with the sequel I passed.

Are the campaign missions any fun at all? How's the MP?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Vanilla campaign is crap, but the expansion is worth getting. That's the general consensus.

Fixed.

For singleplayer, Chaos Rising is pretty cool, but it's basically a party-based Diablo, so don't expect anything resembling an RTS. Vanilla is horrid and so is Retribution.

For multiplayer, forget it. Normal MP is dead, the only activity is in the "Elite Mod", which has a bunch of "Community Rebalancings" (tm) that are hit and miss to say the least + most of the people playing it are lowlives with 1000+ hours played who will just faceroll you all the time.
Also DoW2 MP is in the long run just not very fun at all, because it's a frustrating clusterfuck of boardwipe awesome buttons that you have roughly a second to react to (and not even that is always true). If you fail to react, your whole army goes bye bye.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Chaos rising was cool. It had a nice little corruption mechanic that unlocked different skill sets, equipment and also endings.
Retribution, its successor had none of that, and was just the same campaign copy pasted across all factions with just some minor cosmetic changes.
You'd think they wouldn't have Eldar vs Eldar. You'd be wrong.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Vanilla campaign is crap, but the expansion is worth getting. That's the general consensus.

Fixed.

For singleplayer, Chaos Rising is pretty cool, but it's basically a party-based Diablo, so don't expect anything resembling an RTS. Vanilla is horrid and so is Retribution.

For multiplayer, forget it. Normal MP is dead, the only activity is in the "Elite Mod", which has a bunch of "Community Rebalancings" (tm) that are hit and miss to say the least + most of the people playing it are lowlives with 1000+ hours played who will just faceroll you all the time.
Also DoW2 MP is in the long run just not very fun at all, because it's a frustrating clusterfuck of boardwipe awesome buttons that you have roughly a second to react to (and not even that is always true). If you fail to react, your whole army goes bye bye.
Nigga do I have to post another image of how many hours you have played mp in this game?

You are right about singleplayer though, chaos rising is the only good one.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Nigga do I have to post another image of how many hours you have played mp in this game?

Also DoW2 MP is in the long run just not very fun at all,

Also, must I list all the house rules that we agreed to follow when we played?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Also DoW2 MP is in the long run just not very fun at all,

Also, must I list all the house rules that we agreed to follow when we played?
Ah, the defence by obscurity approach! DoW2 MP was still fun for dozens of hours, hard to complain about that.

And yeah, there were a couple house rules :M A lot of randoms seemed to follow them too though.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I recommend playing the DoW2 campaigns in co-op. Much more enjoyable than having to juggle all the soldiers and their skills yourself.

Dayyālu

Arcane
DoW2's SP campaign is mediocre by design (the maps are okaysh, but the design itself is weird). I mean,

- Equipment and level up shenanigans are fun. You can specialize units and do unconventional stuff. It's the best thing.

- Missions are bothersome. Why? Boss fights. I still remember how they were so proud of "boss fights" in EVERY SINGLE FUCKING MISSION. It became such a bore and made the game barely playable on the higher difficulty levels (someone here finished everything on Primarch, I still ask myself how the fuck I managed to endure the horror). Not that it matters much because to play higher difficulties you have to use Cyrus in a specific way (stealth bomb guy), it's the only optimal way.

- The overall campaign system is full of half-baked ideas (assets are mostly useless) and flat-out broken systems (Tyranid infestation does nothing, ya know?).

CR fixed many of the glaring mistakes (streamlined campaign, dumped 80% of the boss fights, kept level up and equipment). You got the Worst Librarian out of it, but that's merely personal preference.

Retribution had a very well designed campaign that you had to play with all the six races 'cause budget. I never understood the complaints: no chance in hell they had the budget for six campaigns , and between the choice of a single mission par race and many well-made missions for every race I'd always pick the second one. It's not like the mechanics were bad, and the missions themselves are neatly designed (compared to baseline DoW2, masterpieces even. INTERLOPERS!).

Sure, you can scream because you are a storyfag, but seriously who cares. Even the banter between the commanders was more fun in Retribution than in baseline DoW2. Balance was crap (Tyranid Warriors with Venom Cannon were something, I swear they broke the final boss in two mins or so), but it's SP so who cares.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Behead those who insult Comrade General Castor and Sargent Merrick!

DoW2 was for me fun fun RPG game with cool characters, witty dialogues and interesting story line and quest; not to mention all the loot Blood Rawenz stolen were gifted; Chaos Rising added some Chaos stuff and neat C&C mechanics linked with Chaos Corruption and Retribution had finally Imperial Guard Campaign and very cleverly designed maps and missions... But kinda understand that those who expected RTS not RPG could be dis-pointed.

:5/5:/:5/5:

Last edited:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Behead those who insult Kaptin Bluddflagg, Mista Nailbrain, Spookums, and Brikkfist.

Greatest band of hero's the galaxy has ever seen.

Status reporta Mista Nailbrain.
The status reportaz busted Kaptin!

Ow, day urts me feelins Kapin. I neva get duffed by no pansies.

Toofy grins all round you lot, Brikkfist is 'ere.

I ain't hidin I'm lava again, not after last time.

That was a proppa smack!
Gonna be the second hardest of the day if you lot don't get movin!

Dayyālu

Arcane
The ork pirate captain and his quest of getting that inquisitor's hat was the only real good thing about the campaign. The rest is mediocre.

It' fairly noticeable how "plotwise" (as long as we can apply the term "plot" to a RTS, the thing is mostly dubbing and some witty writing) the only factions with good writing in Retribution were the Imperial Guard, the Orks and arguably the Murines. Chaos had little interesting (pity, as Eliphas was fairly entertaining in DoW: DC). Eldar were crap and Nids were...hmmm, Nids.

Mechanically, Retribution is better than DoW2 and even a tad better than CR. Missions are varied and often even borderline interesting (infiltration, escape, frontal assault). If we compare the final boss with DoW2 and CR, you find something simple (it has a good deal of telegraphed attacks and a costant stream of Khornate demons) that needs a minimum of tactical skill to be fought well at higher difficulty levels (hilariously enough, Orks are the worst faction to deal with Kyras). CR final boss was HP BLOAT INCARNATE but little else (Nurgle demon, eh) while I forgot if DoW2's Tyrant had anything. Ahh, yes, they gave you Angelos and an invincibility skill.

Design!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is Denuvo removed? If not, I'd rather play ELEX.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom