Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War 2 Gone Gold

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Anyone tried the sp campaign with that patch yet? It's supposed to add more objectives and mission types. It also seems to diversify the loot system a bit, with more new shiny pieces of hardware to entice the munchkin hordes.

I installed it yesterday and it fucked up my sp campaign in progress. So I'm going to start over again. Hope it will make a difference, the endless go to boss or defend this missions bored the crap out of me after 10 hours of gameplay.

Destroid

Arcane
Tanks didn't feel quite so retarded as they do in DoW2, but I havn't played CoH in quite some time so maybe they were.

Trying to get a tank away from some threat is an exercise in futility with their low speed and shitty pathing.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
CoH felt more polished. The maps (wether mp, skirmish or sp campaign) were a lot better and certainly more detailed. The damage to the surrounding area also was way more interesting. I recall a shootout in the sp campaign where you where holed up in a church that was under attack. I always thought it was awesome how the statue in front the church was inevitably slowly but surely shot to pieces by all of the flying lead.

DoW2 is really missing details and fun moments like this. Not to mention that I do miss my tanks in the SP and that MP tanks really are a lot less lethal than the armored behemoths in CoH.

In short, DoW2 is uninspired, rushed and rather dull as it is. I'll try the SP tonight with the 0 day patch but I don't hold my hopes high.

feighnt

Scholar
Trash said:
Anyone tried the sp campaign with that patch yet? It's supposed to add more objectives and mission types. It also seems to diversify the loot system a bit, with more new shiny pieces of hardware to entice the munchkin hordes.

I installed it yesterday and it fucked up my sp campaign in progress. So I'm going to start over again. Hope it will make a difference, the endless go to boss or defend this missions bored the crap out of me after 10 hours of gameplay.

hm, i didnt know about *those* changes. i bought a copy a few days ago or so, but it kept crashing after every level (at least it let me finish a level, and always saved before the crash). so, all i cared about with the patch was that it fixed my problem.

but, from what i've played today - i didnt notice different mission types (but i only played two or three levels, and i think at least one was an important level which wouldnt've changed objectives). however, i DID notice that i was getting a *lot* more loot than i was before. for instance - the point i'd been at before the patch, the only kinds of weapons i'd gotten from drops (so, not including the reward you get for beating a level) were chainswords and bolters. but in those few levels i played, i managed to get my first flamer and missile launcher. got same types of armour as before, but more of it, and a little bit more in the accessory department (hadnt gotten mines before). so, yeah, it looks like you'll be getting quite a bit more loot, and at least a slightly greater variety of it.

Herbert West

Arbiter
WHAT?? No in-mission saving possible? Fuck you Relic up your ass and right through your liver. Not including this absolutely basic functionality is just horrendously stupid. That, I will not forgive- deleting this dissapointing POS from my hdd at the moment. I'm glad I haven't bought it.

Unless that is, I'm blind and I've completely missed it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
wow. the map's quite small, and a little bit of risk thrown into the already very easy play was acceptable. Even if you lost, you still gained the EXP. Allowing you to try again at higher strength.

And the boss AI is pathetic. Cyrus High Powered Shot it 9x from max range and it did not react. AT ALL.

made

Arcane
Sounds pretty meh overall. Then again, kc doesn't like it so there's still hope.

Gonna give it time to settle in and get a few patches before I grab a review copy.

Herbert West

Arbiter
RK47 said:
wow. the map's quite small, and a little bit of risk thrown into the already very easy play was acceptable. Even if you lost, you still gained the EXP. Allowing you to try again at higher strength

I'm not talking about challenge, but really basic functionality. This isn't an mmo, and lack of saving capability has never had any effect on me except causing frustration when I had to shut the game down. Which is what happened when I've been playing my third campain mission. Twice.

spectre

Arcane
I heard that missions take 30 minutes at the most. And that's the reasoning behind them.

Still,
Not including this absolutely basic functionality is just horrendously stupid.
And I absolutely hate it when designers have no respect for my time, even if it is only half an hour.

Talonfire

Scholar
Trash said:

It's sad that it takes a 400 MB release day patch to make the game even remotely good.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Talonfire said:
Trash said:

It's sad that it takes a 400 MB release day patch to make the game even remotely good.

What's worse, it doesn't even do that. It improves it, but frankly I couldn't be bothered anymore and uninstalled it after playing another couple of missions. It's all too damn samey, uninspired and dull. I just hope that the next CoH expansion won't be as crummy as this.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Relic didn't go far enough with cloning the Diablo basics in the campaign (save system and boss corridors come straight out of that game), lack of variety in filler 'missions' could have been much better idd.

Multiplayer 3vs3 is still a blast though, if you try not to think about Live matchmaking and (command) lag. Tried CoH again after DoW II beta in the hope I'd like it better now but I only got to appreciate certain mechanics more, on the whole CoH just isn't that exciting for me (it never was though) despite the fact it's a lot more polished now than DoW II.

Talonfire

Scholar
I'm still waiting for Relic to design a new RTS that isn't aimed at retards. I mean come on, first they simplified base building and economic management in Dawn of War, then they took that a step further in Company of Heroes. Now there's barely anything resembling base and economic management, what the hell is this? This isn't a strategy game, it's a God damn isometric Unreal Tournament.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Talonfire said:
I'm still waiting for Relic to design a new RTS that isn't aimed at retards. I mean come on, first they simplified base building and economic management in Dawn of War, then they took that a step further in Company of Heroes. Now there's barely anything resembling base and economic management, what the hell is this? This isn't a strategy game, it's a God damn isometric Unreal Tournament.

Personally, this is pretty much what I was hoping for from the first Dawn of War. I've been expecting something like this, from the way Relic have been talking, for a number of years.

For too long the structure of RTSs have been goverened by the multiplayer game, which is fine if that's what you play. I don't and so seeing that someone is radically altering the singleplayer structure of RTSs makes me happy. DoW2 doesn't do it really well, but it does it competently, and that it does it at all is a good thing. Plus it has co-op, which instanly makes it stand out. With a few minor changes it'd be great.

Talonfire

Scholar
Bluebottle said:
Talonfire said:

Personally, this is pretty much what I was hoping for from the first Dawn of War. I've been expecting something like this, from the way Relic have been talking, for a number of years.

For too long the structure of RTSs have been goverened by the multiplayer game, which is fine if that's what you play. I don't and so seeing that someone is radically altering the singleplayer structure of RTSs makes me happy. DoW2 doesn't do it really well, but it does it competently, and that it does it at all is a good thing. Plus it has co-op, which instanly makes it stand out. With a few minor changes it'd be great.

Placing emphasis on multiplayer isn't something that is exclusive to RTS' with base building and economic management. Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun was just as much a single player game as it was multiplayer. Dawn of War II on the other hand, is clearly meant for multiplayer.

Herbert West

Arbiter
I'd have liked this game if it had turn based tactical combat, properly complex and challenging. As it is, it's just a very diluted RTS riddled with bad design decissions and things that suggest the devs are lazy bastards. The fact that this game has high production values and the setting is one I adore, makes me all the angrier at Relic.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Just starting to play this, and have only played a few missions in campaign/skirmish so I don't know how it goes against humans, but this :

Space Marines are alright but have almost no anti-tank power. They pretty much have to rely in plasma devastators, and with their 10 year setup time they are easy to flank and hit with jump troops, warriors, rippers, pretty much anything.

Doesn't ring true. I equip 2 basic tac marine squads with Rocket launchers and proceed to pwn the Ork killa kans with ease, while maintaining decent anti-infantry effectiveness. One squad struggles because it has to avoid melee but 2 rip through the things. Dreadnoughts are also seriously badass and not difficult to get mid-game.

I got raped by vehicles as SMs before I noticed where Relic had hid the heavy weapons upgrades, the tiny little icons just looked like status icons to me. :oops: But after that they felt the might of the Emperor.

Destroid

Arcane
As of the end of the beta, rocket launchers were still not very effectice against vehicles, and worthless against infantry. Tac squads are tough but massively expensive to produce, you can get 3 kans + cahnge for the price of 2 tac squads + rockets.

Plasma cannons do insane damage to everything but im sure they were nerfed in the day 0 patch, or will be soon.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Aaaah, you're talking beta.

Tac squads are tough but massively expensive to produce, you can get 3 kans + cahnge for the price of 2 tac squads + rockets.

Sure. But those two tac squads will take the 3 kans and are quite potent vs infantry. The ork AI waves you with kans at a certain point, tac marines + rockets meant I handed him his ass without breaking a sweat. Worth the price :)

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Hah, I found a funny combo in single player. Cyrus, flashbangs and det packs. The flashbang doesn't wear off before the det pack goes off. As long as I have supplies I just stealth him around murdering troop concentrations. Pretty funny.

Herbert West

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
Hah, I found a funny combo in single player. Cyrus, flashbangs and det packs. The flashbang doesn't wear off before the det pack goes off. As long as I have supplies I just stealth him around murdering troop concentrations. Pretty funny.
Fatality!

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I tried playing on Captain difficulty. At first it was fun, as it was more challenging and required me to use more cover and more abilities. Then I got to a part where a single grenade instagibbed all of my nearly full health units (including one who was in a building, the grenade was not in the building) and went, "Oh jeez. This is how they make things difficult?" Space Marines have fucking power armor, having them all in a 10 meter radius turn into giblets because of a hand grenade is just silly.

And, of course, now the boss special attacks also are instagib instead of just heavily damaging. Since the Force Commander dies in 4-5 hand to hand attacks he can't tank for everyone else, so it's ring around the rosie, dancing one squad around while the boss chases him and the rest just unload. Benny Hill music ensues.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
I tried playing on Captain difficulty. At first it was fun, as it was more challenging and required me to use more cover and more abilities. Then I got to a part where a single grenade instagibbed all of my nearly full health units (including one who was in a building, the grenade was not in the building) and went, "Oh jeez. This is how they make things difficult?" Space Marines have fucking power armor, having them all in a 10 meter radius turn into giblets because of a hand grenade is just silly.

And, of course, now the boss special attacks also are instagib instead of just heavily damaging. Since the Force Commander dies in 4-5 hand to hand attacks he can't tank for everyone else, so it's ring around the rosie, dancing one squad around while the boss chases him and the rest just unload. Benny Hill music ensues.

This game needs better AI.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom