Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War 2 Gone Gold

DiverNB

Liturgist
I wish we could go back to the days of just expansion packs :(

This microtransaction shit gets on my nerves

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Re: ...

dragonfk said:
Hümmelgümpf said:
ricolikesrice said:
might probably buy if there s an addon
"If"? Surely, you meant "when".

Seeing as they plan to sell DLC I wouldnt be so sure about incoming addons.

they were talking about addons in an interview: someone asked what 2 races to expect next and the answer was that in an addon for DoW2 there d most likely be only 1 race because in the new engine its more expensive . no i m not joking, after his famous "we wont support modding because it would enable people to bypass elements in our awesome singleplayer campaign ( the one that is getting called "repeative, boring, crappy" even all over the mainstream press )" Johnny Ebbert strikes again aiming for the "Howard & Hines Bullshit Award" in the RTS genre with such a ridicoulus statement.

my "IF" was more of an issue whether DoW2 will warrant an expansion. i have the feeling this game will tank. most DoW1 MP fans seem to hate it, most CoH MP fans seem to hate it - and good luck getting money from the casuals (as relic obviously intented to) when the mainstream press is singing the "multiplayer is fun but singleplay sucks ass" song. no good single player - no casuals for you. plus there s starcraft 2 on the horizon.

kind of a shame because from what i seen in the beta its half of a great game and could be just that with 1-2 years of modding and 1-2 well done expansions.

but with fucktards like ebbert in charge, they probably deserve following iron lore s footsteps.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Re: ...

ricolikesrice said:
dragonfk said:
Hümmelgümpf said:
ricolikesrice said:
might probably buy if there s an addon
"If"? Surely, you meant "when".

Seeing as they plan to sell DLC I wouldnt be so sure about incoming addons.

they were talking about addons in an interview: someone asked what 2 races to expect next and the answer was that in an addon for DoW2 there d most likely be only 1 race because in the new engine its more expensive . no i m not joking, after his famous "we wont support modding because it would enable people to bypass elements in our awesome singleplayer campaign ( the one that is getting called "repeative, boring, crappy" even all over the mainstream press )" Johnny Ebbert strikes again aiming for the "Howard & Hines Bullshit Award" in the RTS genre with such a ridicoulus statement.
In that same IRC chat where Ebbert said Relic would likely only add one new race per addon he also said they're looking at map and mod tools (in that specific order).

Frankly, the only thing next to singleplayer that's really worrying me is how he describes that they will build in additional online functionality (you know, like the very basic features still missing now in beta) "as they build up the franchise". So we might have to wait till an addon before they add in certain essentials... Anyway, we don't know what's the highest on their priority list now, I hope they get it that the Live options currently are extremely limited.

EDIT: Steam authentication confirmed.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Fuck this game then. I utterly loved most of their games like Homeworld and COH but this is just blatantly ripping off gamers. Not going to spend a penny on this one.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Not going to torrent this shit either too. A Relic game that isn't even warrants a torrent - the PC gaming is truly dead.

Also go play DoW1 because it's better anyway.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I hope there'll be a singleplayer demo available so I can finally ground my opinion on the matter. After the beta came out, I wanted to preorder the thing, but decided to hold on a bit, and guess it was good that I did following the reviews, eh? If the singleplayer will be as bad as it's supposed to be, I'm definitely not gonna buy it, because the multiplayer factor in RTSes is not something I'm particularly fond of, since most of it revolves around 'find out the best tactics on teh internetz and ZERG RUSH GOGOGO'.

And if there won't be a singleplayer demo... well, then. I suppose I'll get another 'singleplayer demo' if you get my drift.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
They just released a patch that nerfed Space Marine power fist force commander. lol. This game is so badly balanced it's funny. Eldar Falcons are rapetrons, once you get two you can basically run around the map killing anything you want, AND at Tier 3 they get an upgrade that makes them even harder to kill. I just played a game against people where I spammed Falcons and just destroyed all 3 enemies in a 3v3.

Destroid

Arcane
Probably because the space marine power fist raped everything. They buffed the tac rocket launcher a fair bit so tacs should be a viable AT option for SM now. That and they fixed the melta bomb missing sometimes.

Hellfire dreads would probably fix this, or an AT gun upgrade for their dread.

I was sad to see no striking scorpions :( Infiltrating heavy inf melee troops would have been great :D

Ryuken

Liturgist
Some much-requested balance/game changes there, especially regarding knockdowns vs retreating units. Lots of good stuff if you ask me, a lot of units/abilities creating more cover than before and such. Though Waaagh! still looks pretty powerful, that's silly number-crunching in those 'nerfs' there. That req resource change looks like it's a bit too much though (slippery slope getting bigger and all) but I gotta try this out for myself first.

Now a UI patch and loads of fixes for Live too pls... :)

Destroid

Arcane
My first impression is that the game is less fun now... victories tend to be much more landslide than previously.

Tacs still suck balls. The missile launcher is garbage.

Annonchinil

Scholar
The resource system where you need to invest resources in order to attain more resources in the future makes more sense than their solution to the requisition problem where its the same thing for no cost.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Apparently, the day 0 patch aims to address the 'repetition and the general lack of variation' issue in regard to the campaign.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showpost.ph ... tcount=131

"I'm playing the game on the new 0 day patch now, and all of my complaints about repetition have gone out the window (yes, I am biased of course). I really think the guys have hit a sweet spot with the campaign now, and I'm bummed about all the reviews that played the previous version. Normally I don't dig sinlge player in RTS and get all my kicks out of MP, but this experience (about 14 hours in now) has been awesome. I harken back to my Diablo 2 days of addiction. I'm actually a little flustered right now as I have a mission where I need to choose 4 squads out of the 6 I have, and I really can't decide on the last squad. To avoid spoilers I won't elaborate.

Also to clear some stuff up, it's not just the change in the types of missions, but the logic in how that structure is presented. You could get a set of highly repeated missions in the structure before, and now the scatter is much better. I'm 26 missions in and have not felt any of the repetition that I felt 10 missions in before. I'll bet that the online reviews which will all play on the new campaign will be 4-6 points higher on average."

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Trash said:
So, the campaign consists of random skirmishes?

Partially. In addition to the scripted story-related missions that need to be completed in order to advance the plot, there seems to be a number of secondary, non-obligatory ones that fall under the "defend/capture a point/wipe enemy units off the map etc." category entirely randomly, in other words: the mission goal may vary.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, depending on how they implemented it you could call it a great way to provide extra gameplay or just cynical filler content. Concerning all the bad press and the stupid interviews it sounds very much like the latter.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I'm still laughinag at the haircuts.
You know marines take standard amounts hair gel into battle and are trained in its use to provide maximum fabulousness for minimum cost. Extended battles often require hair gel re-armament by drop pod. The Coiffeur Servitors are also often deployed by Thunderhawk to keep a marine's frosty tips sharply defined so that when the inevitable victory comes around they will still be looking fresh for their victory stylograph.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You really do know a bit too much about the terminology of that silly game to keep passing it off as one big joke. So, how many of those warhammer miniatures do you have?

made

Arcane
VonVentrue said:
Trash said:

Partially. In addition to the scripted story-related missions that need to be completed in order to advance the plot, there seems to be a number of secondary, non-obligatory ones that fall under the "defend/capture a point/wipe enemy units off the map etc." category entirely randomly, in other words: the mission goal may vary.

Sounds like what they did in Dark Crusade. Only the stronghold areas had a modicum of story and interesting objectives; rest were boring filler missions.

Anyway, it's coming out this week. P?ost your impressions when you have it!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I "borrowed" it and started it up just before going to work. The intro cinematic looked nice, though the start-up screen looks almost exactly like the Warcraft 3 one. Then again, that was also the case in DoW1. I'll post my impressions tonight.

Black_Willow

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
I'm still laughinag at the haircuts.
You know marines take standard amounts hair gel into battle and are trained in its use to provide maximum fabulousness for minimum cost. Extended battles often require hair gel re-armament by drop pod. The Coiffeur Servitors are also often deployed by Thunderhawk to keep a marine's frosty tips sharply defined so that when the inevitable victory comes around they will still be looking fresh for their victory stylograph.
1231843665033.jpg

1232367949699.jpg

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, I've been playing it for a bit. So far the sp campaign does feel like a long string of skirmish missions. Though they did add some spice by adding bos enemies and secondary goals. The loat gathering is also neat and should really appeal to the inner munchkin. It really does have a diablo 3 vibe and I am quite liking it. The repetition however is really bad. So far I've only been getting one type of mission in my first campaign and a slightly larger selection in another test campaign I started.

I really hope the post about the 0 day patch is correct. It's a pretty fun game and the skirmish missions are way better done than I anticipated. They only really need to get rid of the repetition and I might even buy it. Still, these are early days and I've only been playing it for 4 or 5 hours.

9.0 at IGN.

Wonder how much THQ paid for it.

warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-ii-20090217022824725_640w.jpg

lol

also from

http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/02/dawn ... -ships.php

Lead Designuh said:
Most genres, like first person shooters and massively-multiplayer and free-to-play games, the ones that are experiencing strong growth, were constantly working to simplify themselves and make themselves more approachable, where RTS is going in the opposite direction. It seems like each one was more complicated than the last.

Troll

Scholar
I've played till the 6th mission on the campaign and so far it's enjoyable. Frustratingly easy on normal difficulty, i'll never learn to start directly on higher levels.

So far i haven't seen any building management making the game look more like the warhammer fantasy game so at least in the campaign the basis is tactics rather than strategy.

The new engine doesn't break the game, it looks good and works good even at 1920x; in general i don't like 3d engines for a strategy game but so far this one didn't bother me

Each squad has its own experience but appearently it grows the same, the differences appear when you don't use that squad on a mission. What i hate is that loosing a soldier and recruiting a new one doesn't cost any xp loss, you can't loose a squad unless you're not very bright... and that strategic points give you reinforcements almost instantly - the game didn't put me in the situation of defending an owned strategic/critical point so far but as it is implemented looks like you're invulnerable around them. Warhammer implemented this more realistic. i could live without the xp loss - i can assume the xp is just for the squad leader, but getting a soldier in 1 second? wtf?. Also with every level you gain 2 points to distribute in health, range damage, melee damage and energy... sadly distributing them is pretty straightforward - shooters invest in range, commander and close combat in melee and health, snipers in range and energy; investing in others will yield you different bonuses but not enough to be worth it imo.

Obstacles and cover play a key role for infantry, this is a nice addition. Unfortunately on the map there are also supplies - this isn't a bad thing but they're just too many. I like scarce supplies, every granade counting and using them only when the situation is critical not stumpling upon them every few steps. also the instant healing ability sucks big time.

Oh yeah, the missions... ehm... primary objective is start on point A and kill what's on point B; secondary - save some stuff / conquer some other stuf. Practically there's no tactics involved, you're never forced to withdraw, you don't get attacked yourself - you just slowly advance to next point on the map. No reward for going stealthy... no overwhelming force coming as backup after you blown up a whole building with a pesky scout, no nothing. Ok, WH never had an ingineous script for missions but i can only hope

I didn't experience any bugs in several hours of play which is good but generally WH40k was not released as an unfinished version.

All in all it's a fun game, i'll continue to play it; it's somewhere between WH40k and WH fantasy but doesn't necessarily implement the best from both games

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
VonVentrue said:
Trash said:

Wtf is this shit, DoW and Winter assault has such fantastic campaigns. Why are they so determined to fuck things up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom