Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War 2 Gone Gold

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yes, that's true. The AI is not even borderline intelligent or challenging even on hard. On the 1vs1 desert map that I chose for skirmishes against the computer, it's always the same: the enemy caps the first two points closest to his base and then gets uberraepd by my forces in the middle points and keeps sending shitty one or two squads towards my entrenched army growing around the control points.

vrok

Liturgist
Why would they need AI? This game is for casual players. Casual players don't care about AI. Just epic cinematics (and GfWL).

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
ricolikesrice said:
heh, looks like i got CD-Action in trouble. reposted your quote on relicnews and now there s a THQ staff member going rambo about CD-Action not being allowed to review the game yet.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=213454&page=1&pp=50

That's amusing to say the least.
Anyway, considering how unimpressive the single player campaign in the original DoW was, I would have expected Relic to go to great lengths to assure top level quality of this particular portion of experience in the sequel.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I thought they said something about not having mod capabilities in DoW2 in order to have a better single-player campaign experience? Shame. :roll:

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Kos_Koa said:
I thought they said something about not having mod capabilities in DoW2 in order to have a better single-player campaign experience? Shame. :roll:

they did indeed ^^

especially funny/sad considering the skirmish AI mod for DoW1 was 10times better than vanilla AI and DoW2 AI is further 10times worse than even DoW1 vanilla AI.

they should have hired the modder and fired whatever moron is responsible for AI in relic but instead he and his co-modders got a kick in the balls while the "pro" is on a well-deserved vacation and "might look into improving the AI once he s back".

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Leave CD-Action alone, they had Psychonauts bundled with the last month's issue and Two Worlds this month's, so they're cool.

Of course, I read it for EGM's reviews.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Yes. Fun.

What games used to be before we started over-analyzing them and/or building them up to be better than sex before actually playing them. In some cases, we compare them to things that actually suck, but we were too young to know at the time and haven't played them since, so they've never been dethroned over all these years.

Red Alert 3 is fun. This is fun.

P.S. The first time I jerked off was epic. These days it's so dumbed down and matter-of-fact. I actually just do it for the health benefits sometimes. It's become a masturbatory grind. Fucking console port.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I thoroughly enjoyed the first Dawn of War, so I'm sure I'll enjoy the second. That said, I'm worried about them taking away from the base-building aspect of the game. I really enjoy constructing cities...then blowing them up.

DiverNB

Liturgist
I really wish the game had just come with about 20 different maps with varying objectives, and an army point setting. You pick your army before each battle with points determined from the TT games, and each map has it's own different unique objectives.

This fixes:
The shitty cat and mouse game of req. points
Gets rid of the useless resources

And helps focus on:
The good combat

DiverNB

Liturgist
Also, they need to buff the Tac. Marine squads. What is the point of buying 3 SM with bolters for 500 req. 15 pop. when you can get 3 space marines with plasma or heavy bolter for less req and pop.?

Heavy bolter > Flamer and plasma
Devastators w/ plasma = rocket. Rocket has a long reload time as well as a short ass range.

Not to mention, the space marines feel far too fragile at times. Guardians from the Eldar can destroy them in range on range, and if the marines move to engage in melee they get ripped up before they get to the Guardian squad.

I understand the "Few against many" concept, but if they want it that way the TMS need a buff. Lower the cost or add a 4th/5th member

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Pc gameplay's newest edition has a DAW2 review in which they called it the first big disappointment of 2009 with a shallow, repetitive sp campaign and shitty AI although they did enjoy the mp.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

there is a lulzy interview at shacknews with johnny ebbert.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1074

quick summary/tranlation:

"We pushed this quickly out the door with our main focus on multiplayer, focusing on dumbing down CoH because that one sold well but not well enough.
People may not like our lacklustre single campaign or the truly retarded skirmish AI but thanks to GFWL and STEAM we ll soon have statistics that are proof nobody cares about Single Player or Skirmish vs AI anyhow.
Also we ll deliver the other half of our game via DLC, no worries though, some of it will be free , only-half the content that should have been in the game to begin with will be payable DLC."

oh well, after inititial disappointment ..... 3vs3 matches are actually fun but its just been a few days of beta and the game is getting boring very fast since there s so little of everything (maps, different units, abilities, etc.) - with some more polish and a lot more content it could have been probably a great game.

might probably buy if there s an addon, to be honest i wasnt a big fan of DoW either till Dark Crusade. Vanilla and Winter Assault were basically "play a weekend and forget about it" titles that i might have ignored all together if i wasnt a 40k fanboy who even played through games like Firewarrior .....

DiverNB

Liturgist
Re: ...

ricolikesrice said:
there is a lulzy interview at shacknews with johnny ebbert.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1074

quick summary/tranlation:

"We pushed this quickly out the door with our main focus on multiplayer, focusing on dumbing down CoH because that one sold well but not well enough.
People may not like our lacklustre single campaign or the truly retarded skirmish AI but thanks to GFWL and STEAM we ll soon have statistics that are proof nobody cares about Single Player or Skirmish vs AI anyhow.
Also we ll deliver the other half of our game via DLC, no worries though, some of it will be free , only-half the content that should have been in the game to begin with will be payable DLC."

oh well, after inititial disappointment ..... 3vs3 matches are actually fun but its just been a few days of beta and the game is getting boring very fast since there s so little of everything (maps, different units, abilities, etc.) - with some more polish and a lot more content it could have been probably a great game.

might probably buy if there s an addon, to be honest i wasnt a big fan of DoW either till Dark Crusade. Vanilla and Winter Assault were basically "play a weekend and forget about it" titles that i might have ignored all together if i wasnt a 40k fanboy who even played through games like Firewarrior .....

It really does seem like the game is just being thorwn out the door with little to no regards for content. The AI is atrocious and so is the amount of map.s. I think it's only shipping with like 7 or 9 TOTAL.

I don't even like to play MP all that much, so it's really gonig to affect me.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The AI is so bad. It really just has one big flaw. Whenever it comes under attack, it runs. It NEVER stays and fights. It's kind of silly. I can use a single squad to just mow the shit out of everything because the enemy units are always moving instead of attacking. I've mostly been playing with/against friends but it's still really disappointing.

Also, to whoever was saying Eldar tear your shit up in range on range, what are you doing using ranged Space Marine units? Scouts, assault marines, apothecary or force commander with power fist, dreadnought. Those are your units, the other ones are only there like temptations from the devil to draw you from the straight and narrow.

DiverNB

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
The AI is so bad. It really just has one big flaw. Whenever it comes under attack, it runs. It NEVER stays and fights. It's kind of silly. I can use a single squad to just mow the shit out of everything because the enemy units are always moving instead of attacking. I've mostly been playing with/against friends but it's still really disappointing.

Also, to whoever was saying Eldar tear your shit up in range on range, what are you doing using ranged Space Marine units? Scouts, assault marines, apothecary or force commander with power fist, dreadnought. Those are your units, the other ones are only there like temptations from the devil to draw you from the straight and narrow.

I'm just complaining about tactical squads.
Devestator = Good
Tactical = Bad

If you aren't using Devastator squads with heavy bolters and the plasma cannons against nids and Orks, reevaluate your strategy. They absolutely destroy those two races. Though I usually have a dread + assault marines to make sure they don't get surrounded. Works like a charm.

made

Arcane
Jonny Ebbert said:
We made a campaign that was fairly length, and the first thing we're going to find out is how many people finished it. If only 10% of the people finished it, we made it way too long, and we'll need to concentrate it. And if everyone finished it, we'll find ways to cater more to that length.

Yeah right. It didn't have anything to do with the fact that the campaign sucked! It was just too long!

dragonfk

Erudite
Re: ...

Hümmelgümpf said:
ricolikesrice said:
might probably buy if there s an addon
"If"? Surely, you meant "when".

Seeing as they plan to sell DLC I wouldnt be so sure about incoming addons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom