Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War 2 Gone Gold

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
There's only a small gap between the retardedness of requiring it for single player and the retardedness of using it at all. There are also precidents with HL2 and Steam.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Some versions of the DoW II box seems to display the same red warning sentence as on the Saint's Row II PC box cover; namely that online activation (I suspect through Steam, SRII doesn't use GfWLive) is required. Although it could also be that that is just for the pre-order tin box packages as those include specific online extra's.

Pre-ordered here, I might be tired of it by the time the full game's out but after 30 hours of mostly fun stuff already I think someone deserves my money.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bluebottle said:
skyway said:
So I have the same question - why the fuck would someone want that GFW crap? It is the worst, most buggy multiplayer service out there. And it is mandatory.

Out of interest, is it mandatory to play the game at all or just if you want to take it online?

To play the game of course. Just like GTA4 upon start it checks if you have GFWL installed - if you do not - it tries to install one/asks to get one.
And when it tries to access GFW the game crashes and GFW remains in tasks eating 100% of CPU. Something that many people had with GTA4.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Not necessarily. Gears of War for pc also needed GFW to play online, but it wasn't needed for singleplayer.

vrok

Liturgist
Ryuken said:
Pre-ordered here, I might be tired of it by the time the full game's out but after 30 hours of mostly fun stuff already I think someone deserves my money.
Oh no you don't! If you don't play it at least 200 more hours during the coming years, all your arguing in this thread will be a lie as you didn't *really* like the game. Getting bored that quickly of multiplayer is the primary sign of a dumbed down game with low skill ceiling. Unless you suck and play casually of course, but players like that don't count anyway.

200 hours. You better get started right away.

Ryuken

Liturgist
vrok said:
Ryuken said:
Oh no you don't! If you don't play it at least 200 more hours during the coming years, all your arguing in this thread will be a lie as you didn't *really* like the game. Getting bored that quickly of multiplayer is the primary sign of a dumbed down game with low skill ceiling. Unless you suck and play casually of course, but players like that don't count anyway.

200 hours. You better get started right away.
I'll be my own judge as to what I like after how many hours, thank you. I already got my money's worth out of it so to speak and then I haven't even bothered yet to try the Eldar and the attacking/stealthy heroes of all races myself.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ryuken said:
I haven't even bothered yet to try the Eldar.

Do it faggot. Howling Banshees are fucking great while being 1st tier, and thanks to a relatively small cost, ok durability and rather high damage of all units you can get some amazing blitzkriegs.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Yeah, they eat up practically everything you send at them, walkers included but I just love to lure them into suppressive fire with my Mekboy. If his teleports are directed in the right way I don't even need to setup his guns again, I was really surprised to see there isn't going to be a nerf for that yet (for practically everything else, Banshees included, there is though :) ).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Hm, banshees got hit a lot, but actually nothing that serious, fortunately.

"Falcon and Fire Prism can now reverse. "

\o/

"Fixed an issue with the FLeet of Foot tool tip not saying that it causes a damage reduction"

Now, that's a real shame they didn't specify that before >_>

MetalCraze

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Not necessarily. Gears of War for pc also needed GFW to play online, but it wasn't needed for singleplayer.

Well, how about I will repeat

GTA4 and DoW2 won't run at all if there is no GFW installed or it isn't running.
Better?

Annonchinil

Scholar
Holy shit I cannot do this. Ever since the beta went public the amount of idiots has multiplied.

Game #1 My two space marine allies do not bother to retreat their units leaving them to die.

Game #2 My two Orc Allies capture the north portion of the city map, only then proceed to do nothing.

How hard is it to grasp that you need two VPs to win?

Really I don't think I am the best player but I am better than that. In fact its hard to judge how good I am when my lone nids units face armies twice their size.

Really this just sucks. Anybody want to set up time to go on so that we can play together.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Annonchinil said:
Holy shit I cannot do this. Ever since the beta went public the amount of idiots has multiplied.

Game #1 My two space marine allies do not bother to retreat their units leaving them to die.

Game #2 My two Orc Allies capture the north portion of the city map, only then proceed to do nothing.

How hard is it to grasp that you need two VPs to win?

Really I don't think I am the best player but I am better than that. In fact its hard to judge how good I am when my lone nids units face armies twice their size.

Really this just sucks. Anybody want to set up time to go on so that we can play together.

Haha, yeah. It can be pretty painful. I'll probably be playing a lot in the next couple of days. I have a three-day weekend.

On 'nids: Their synapse is the most important thing. I try and get out a ripper swarm in one of the initial squads I built as they are range resistant disruptive melee (vital early on against weapon team map control.)

My favorite synapse comes from Tyranid Warriors with adrenal glands (which gives hormagaunts leap). From there, you can have a zoanthrope to give a health regen synapse, barbed strangler nid warriors for a health bonus, commander synapse, etc. If you lose a full squad of nid warriors, you might just want to retreat as your synapsed creatures will get stunned from the psychic shock that occurs. They are almost useless in individual groups, but a well-managed swarm can really do some damage.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Well My Nid play is rather bad. They are fun to play but I just seem to loose with them. Here is why.

I find their T1 units very useful but other than T3 Carniflex and T2 upgrades I under use them.

Garrison structures, really confused on how to counter this. For example on the jungle map trying to capture the far VP can be tough, however to shift south I have to fight garrisons.

Hive Tyrant Charge ability is great. However I have the worst luck with it. It can smash through everything, except capable points which stop it dead.

The Homogaunts (sp?) unless under synapse seem to loose to most early game units.

I have tried building the ranged unit a few times but never really felt they were effective.

Deep multilayer defences are such a bitch to deal with. Hive Tyrant charge can cripple packed in units, as can attacking from stealth with the ambush Hero. However they are both one use tricks that suck if your enemy has a second line. Even ripper swarms have trouble reaching the 2nd line.

Defense, I find it hard to defend with the Nids as an enemy player can always set up or leapfrog their supression units so it feels like defending is attacking all over again.

Orks. For some reason I always have trouble dealing with orcs. Their melee units just beat ny Homogaunts and their heroes (warboss especially) make life for melee units a pain.

Unit survival. I find I loose more squads as the Nids because I melee, and I do so from awkward angles making the line of retreat pass through enemies. Really attacking head on is a tough option. The only solution I can think of is to retreat earlier if you see your assault is failing and not bother with dealing at least some damage.

PS I have a week long 'encouraged' vacation coming up (I work in the auto parts industry)

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
For weapon platforms either a lictor alpha, or regular lictor can flesh hook the platform/wep team into melee.

For buildings I know bio-plasma and zoanthropes work well. I think venom cannons are useful. I can't entirely confirm this, I just know a swarm I had took out a garrisoned building fast.

The hormagaunts tend to die pretty fast. The barbed strangler synapse gives health, as well as the hive tyrant wargear health synapse.

Nothing you have is really good at defense. The zoanthrope works well due to not having a firing arc, but it dies pretty fast. The best thing you can hope for is a good mobile force (or maybe some non-trash allies who can defend what you capture).

Different forms of suppression, or termagaunts under ranged synapse, can help with a head-on charge. Ranged synapse on them lets them hit and knockdown enemies.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Well that was a fun game. I always seem to do better with the Eldar and have better luck with teammates.

Some things I noticed.

My Eldar special power use is poor, definitely need to work on that.

Eldar/Farseer vs Eldar/Farseer fights are brutal, my Shuriken died fast, way faster than usual. What really saved me was Fleet of Foot and Grenades.

Going to watch the replay later to learn from your Nid play.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Hm, this does not bode well. The newest issue of one Polish gaming mag (CD-Action) has a review of DoW2, and they say that the single player campaign is pretty much, well, pathetic. It's repetitive, boring, unchallenging and more like a hack'n'slash than a strategy game, and overall, it said that the singleplayer deserves a 4/10 score.

But, they also stated that the multiplayer is awesum and deserves a 9/10.

Overall score of the whole game was 7/10.

Witchblade

Scholar
Crap, I'm one of those SP nerds. I don't like at all what I've been reading above, and this game has been on my radar for a long time.

Why the shit must everything turn into moar action and online play, and less strategy, these days?
Why the fuck can't devs retain the gameplay mechanics of prequels and just make the graphics more pretty and crap like that?

Destroid

Arcane
I too was having trouble playing nids, but really clued in on a powerful combo in my last 2 games, that saw me as champion for both.

Use the Ravener Alpha, no exceptions.

For you initial build, get 1 Termagaunt, 1 Hormagaunt, 1 ripper swarm. Maybe get another Termagaunt before going Warriors. You should be able (with a little micro) to defeat the enemy in the early battles. Supression units are the only thing that will give you problems, you will need to engage them in melee with the gaunts asap, or use some of your burrow abilities. Termagaunts have excellent disruption attacks and really help out your melee gaunts.

Once you get your first Warrior out, immediately upgrade them to barbed strangler. This not only gives you more health but gives you an excellent supression weapon. It will damage your own units, but keep shooting. The only thing that will give you problems is layered defence, but hopefully having capped your point at this stage you will be on defence where the BS is excellent.

Upgrade the HQ at this point. Next up is another warrior with venom cannon and a zoanthrope in any order. Upgrade your Ravener to have his AT ranged ability and later his damage synapse. You will wtfpwn the first walker to come out with this combo.

If you have been retreating wisely you will have most of your original units and have an extremely hard army to beat. At this point add more warriors or tech up for carnifex.

The biggest threats you face will be mass disruption and AOE damage. Your army has the speed and firepower to wreck anyones day, don't forget to use ripped swarms to occupy units, they are excellent at this job (especially with free reinforce).

If the battle is protracted, watch out for orbital bombardments, as this army fuctions well in a blob.

Previously I found Ork warboss to be my most powerful team, but I am really enjoying this Tyranid one :)

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Hm, this does not bode well. The newest issue of one Polish gaming mag (CD-Action) has a review of DoW2, and they say that the single player campaign is pretty much, well, pathetic. It's repetitive, boring, unchallenging and more like a hack'n'slash than a strategy game, and overall, it said that the singleplayer deserves a 4/10 score.

heh, looks like i got CD-Action in trouble. reposted your quote on relicnews and now there s a THQ staff member going rambo about CD-Action not being allowed to review the game yet.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=213454&page=1&pp=50

Black_Willow

Arcane
ricolikesrice said:
Darth Roxor said:

heh, looks like i got CD-Action in trouble. reposted your quote on relicnews and now there s a THQ staff member going rambo about CD-Action not being allowed to review the game yet.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=213454&page=1&pp=50
:salute:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Fun. If that actually proved to be true, that they took the review out of their arses, that would make me both mad and happy.

Happy, because that would prove my suspicions that I had for a while now, that they aren't really that much honest about their reviews (their SoZ review from october was a major *tic!* that I had, but not the first one).

and mad, because I'm buying them since the second issue, they aren't bad, some of their reviews are more or less informative and I've grown used to buy a new issue every month.

BUT, I doubt they are so stupid to risk their entire reputation and business on writing reviews based on reviews of others, although having 'First review in the country!' slapped over the covers every month sure is tempting, I suppose.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
i remember jowood pulled exactly the same thing on the german review site 4players.de over gothic 3. claiming they had no official review version and thus must have pirated.
not 100% sure but i think in the end 4players won and jowood backed down.

also wasnt there a similar thing about assassins creed or is my memory playing tricks on me ?

i personally *hope* they are wrong, as i d love -as lestat said it- Dark Omen 40k.

but after seeing the AI of the beta, its really not hard to imagine that a campaign with such utterly terrible AI will be shit =/

P.S.: apparently PC gamer Uk, PC gamer US and german gamestar in their reviews also stated single player leaves alot to be desired - they all gave around 8/10 because they liked the MP though. i have read neither review though, just read it on various forums.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom