Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War 2 Gone Gold

Korgan

Arbiter
I also just played a bit on Captain without the patch, and yes, this makes spess mehrens fucking pathetic. A sorry sight. And the defence missions are still WAY too easy, considering all the abilities you have. Had two and got 5/5 in everything on both without breaking a sweat.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Korgan said:
I also just played a bit on Captain without the patch, and yes, this makes spess mehrens fucking pathetic. A sorry sight. And the defence missions are still WAY too easy, considering all the abilities you have. Had two and got 5/5 in everything on both without breaking a sweat.

The defence missions get pretty damn nasty once you get to about lvl15, on captain difficulty. Played a couple last night and just got steam rollered by 2 Carnifexs and a dozen warriors (+gaunts, rippers etc.) pretty much straight away. Even with a 100+ armour rating on the Captain and a full iron halo force-field thingy, he still goes down like he's made of tissue paper.

There is a sweet spot some way in to the captain difficulty campaign, where you still need to pay attention to your load outs (which you don't so much in easier) but it isn't quite so retarded. Then the difficulty just ramps up in the silliest way possible.

Aothan

Magister
with recent 'patch' changes, Space Marines have become even more robust for their high investment. Tactical Marines excel at range, in combat and are incredibly resilient. As long as they are not stood in battle for protracted periods they can battle with almost any other unit type, reduce models (which require resources to reinforce) and retreat to base for healing with no reduction in unit numbers.

come tier 2, one or more squads upgrades to Missle Launchers and casually counters any or generally all types of vehicles. The other squads continue to perform much like they did in tier 1.

in team games the ease of this overall strategy can be excruciating for average players, with units gaining experience and the SM army increasing in size over time.

I would not say this is strictly imbalanced but it is definitely an ease of use strategy that is gaining prominence in the online community.

DoW II is a lot of fun, it is a very fluid strategy game, however there is still no sign of the copious download content that was hyped for the game, so right now there are very few maps to play on, only so many units to play with (not too few overall but having just come from DoW the transition is noticeable all the same) and a serious Tyrannid imbalance that is now well overdue for rectification.

as long as Relic actually comes through, DoW II has immense potential to just get better and better, it is a good game however every is now starting to go into a type of stasis..

made

Arcane
Bump because I finally got around to playing it.

My thoughts: the game is FUN!

It reminds me of Syndicate in how FUN it is and the gameplay from various genres it incorporates. Except that Syndicate had more varied/interesting missions. That's definitely one area that could use improvement. More defend/rescue missions or generally other objectives that "kill the boss" would have been nice, but there's still enough diversity to keep the campaign interesting and FUN.

The squad based gameplay is refreshing for a RTS and offers plenty of tactical possibilities. All squads have unique abilities and your approach changes based on who you take on a mission and the loadout you use. Which leads me to the next point: the gear and levelup system (RPG elements lawl) is FUN. It appeals to the inner munchkin and allows for a high level of customization. You can't equip all the gear you find at the same time, so you have to make choices which in turn affect how you approach the battles. Same goes for the attributes. You either spend points of offense or defense and gain corresponding special abilities. You can't max all stats so the points do really matter. Or at least so it seems at this point. My doods are average lvl 13 and have about half their abilities and I'm a few missions short of finishing the campaign.

Playing on the second highest difficulty, the game is appropriatly challenging. Charging in without utilizing cover/special abilities is suicide. I imagine if you're really good at these games and put all your specials to good use you'll breeze through it, but I'm having trouble getting more than a 50% mission rating most of the time because my doods keep dying and I take too long to finish the maps. It appears that if you fail a mission, the game lowers the difficulty (fewer/weaker enemies?) for the next try, so you can beat it eventually, which is good because there's no saving allowed except on the strategic map and some will expire after a few days, success or not. Luckily, for Relic FUN comes before difficulty.

Can't comment on the multiplayer part as I'm not touching that before I finish the campaign. So this is for the single player experience only.

Final score: FUN/10

PROS:
It's FUN
RPG elements make the game more FUN
Squad based gameplay with a huge variety of tactical options

CONS:
Windows Live required to play (fuck Windows Live)
Missions could use more diversity for maximum FUN
No saving during missions

Quilty

Magister
But you can save, it's just that the save button is under "options", stupidly enough.

made

Arcane
Dunno, that button seems to do what you would expect it to: save your options. And nothing else.

Quilty

Magister
Oh, really? Damn. I never actually reloaded the game, come to think about it, and haven't played it since my pc got fried and my saves got deleted, so I guess you're right.

Panthera

Scholar
Yeah, the game intentionally stops you from savescumming to do missions over and over again without having consequences for your failure.

made

Arcane
Thing is, there are no consequences. If you fail a mission you can just try again but get to keep all the loot and xp. Unless it's a defend mission which expire after a few days, but you can get around that by logging out from Windows Live which takes you to the save before the mission start - one more reason why Windows Live sucks.

Initially I thought the "Infestation Meter" was a clever way to bring a sense of urgency into the campaign and to punish failure, but it turned out it has no effect whatsoever. Somewhere along the way a dev must have brought up MOTB and the public outcry at the Spirit Meter and the idea was quickly scrapped.

Atmaweapon

Novice
infestation meter consequence

Actually, Made, the infestation meter will affect a few things.

1. the higher the infestation meter on a planet, the more "tyrannoformed" the maps will appear when deployed on that planet (spores in the air, tyrannoform spires, etc).

2. The level of infestation on the 3 planets will affect which of the 3 possible endings of the game you will see when you win.

3. The higher the infestation meter on a planet, the more hive nodes and brood nests show up on the Tyranid-based missions, making them much harder to beat.

Thread about shit game, and you registered to reply to over half a year long post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom