Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War 2 Gone Gold

made

Arcane
http://www.dawnofwar2.com/

The first one was good fun, but I know little of the sequel beyond what the feature list says. Any thoughts?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I don't know about this one, man. I mean, CoH got boring very quickly, so I am not sure I will like whatever new direction they take.

Destroid

Arcane
I heard from a reliable source that DoW2 is completely awesome. This coming from a fellow who likes DoW and CoH.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Destroid said:
I heard from a reliable source that DoW2 is completely awesome. This coming from a fellow who likes DoW and CoH.
That actually means that he's likely to be as unreliable as possible. For example, PC Gamer UK (lubed for months) basically says that everything about DoW2 sucks, as does all the info floating about it, and you'll see the entire fandom up in arms and in denial.

And if you look at the info around, you know that the thing is likely to suck donkey balls:

1) The SP campaign seems to be a half-assed indecisive prick choosing between Diablo and CoH, with recycled 10 minute missions (apparently almost entirely Defeat Boss or Defend Shrine).

2) The game speed and mechanics result in combat being almost entirely random.

3) 10 maps.

4) Limited multiplayer modes.

5) Oh yeah, the base-building in MP is dumbed down.

Not to mention the thing utterly fails in emulating the 40K lore.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
As I posted in the Tacticular Cancer news thread:

Could go either way (at least in SP, which is all I'll be buying it for). If the individual missions (being as they are minus bases) are as interesting and unique as the baseless missions in CoH, then we're onto a winner. If, on the other hand, they're more like the missions in the Dark Crusade campaign, then it could easily become dull as fuck.

MetalCraze

Arcane
DoW2 is a dumbed down multi-platform game with castrated strategy and optimized for a gamepad which means that gameplay will be extremely SLOOOOOOW and simple. That's all you need to know.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I don't think DoW2 is multi-platform, is it? Maybe your automatic bitch generator is on the fitz again skyway.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

i think there were some rumours about it maybe becomming released for consoles, but if so i missed the confirmation of these rumours. its out in a few weeks and pc exclusive so far.

there has been one review of it already (pc gamer uk), not online readable but those who had that magazine said:

-82% (this the same pc gamer that gave hellgate london 90% though, or ?)
-singleplayer sucks. 50 missions but 90% of them overly repeative creap similar to skirmish battles (i.e. similar to DoW:DC, DoW:Soulstorm - for which i found that more excusable though, given you could at least play all the different factions - while DoW2 has just Space Marines playable in campaign ).

considering relic were talking about a highly replayable (epic!) singleplayer campaign with even things like choices and consequences before ...... all hope crashed.

the biggest weakness is their lame excuse for not supporting modding ( "we dont want players to make cheats to beat our awesome campaign" - yes, seriously - thats roughly what they said (what they meant actually was this: "we plan alot of $$$ DLC and since the past (dow1) modders showed they were better at AI, moddeling, balance, etc. than us, we re rather worried nobody will buy our shit as it happened with suckstorm")

dow1 modding community was pretty good as far as i m concerned, without the AI mod and the various new units (or better done old units) i d probably have played DOW1 not even 1/10 as much as i did.

Quilty

Magister
Why, oh why, can't somebody make a turn based W40K? The real-time twitch-fest (yes, even while using the pause option) ruins the careful planning and strategy of the tabletop version.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Quilty said:
Why, oh why, can't somebody make a turn based W40K? The real-time twitch-fest (yes, even while using the pause option) ruins the careful planning and strategy of the tabletop version.

Probably because they don't want a pc game to tap into the same market as the tabletop game?

Vaarna_Aarne

Trash said:
Quilty said:

Probably because they don't want a pc game to tap into the same market as the tabletop game?
Because Games Workshop would sanction nothing that might sap away their sales.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I accidentally chose a YOB < 18 years ago, and now I can't access the site, because they block your IP based on a stupid age verification applet. I think I'd rather not buy their game now.

made

Arcane
Re: ...

ricolikesrice said:
-singleplayer sucks. 50 missions but 90% of them overly repeative creap similar to skirmish battles (i.e. similar to DoW:DC, DoW:Soulstorm - for which i found that more excusable though, given you could at least play all the different factions - while DoW2 has just Space Marines playable in campaign ).

considering relic were talking about a highly replayable (epic!) singleplayer campaign with even things like choices and consequences before ...... all hope crashed.

Damn. Guess it was too good to be true. I couldn't care less about the multiplayer part. Looks like another case of "torrent before you buy"...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

ricolikesrice said:

An early review that scores less than 90% is usually a bad sign, since these usually are under heavy pressure from the game publisher's marketing, and tend to overlook negatives an exaggerate positives. Either they forgot the bribe, or 82% should really be 52%...

Conversely, early scores of 90%+ is no particular reason to become optimistic about a game, if you weren't already.

Vaarna_Aarne

Spectacle said:
ricolikesrice said:

An early review that scores less than 90% is usually a bad sign, since these usually are under heavy pressure from the game publisher's marketing, and tend to overlook negatives an exaggerate positives. Either they forgot the bribe, or 82% should really be 52%...
Most likely the case, because the mag spared no lube in their previews.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Quilty said:

Suckah (don't believe the score, Gamespot blows cock)

If you liked panzer general, you'll definitely like this.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Quilty said:

there s

-rites of war (utter shit)
-chaos gate (okay x-com clone, not great but definitly fun to play )
-final liberation (its based on "epic 40k", i.e. really huge battles, also with titans and super tanks, awesome game -also has cutscenes with real actors, pretty funny stuff - can also watch them on youtube )

final liberation & warhammer:dark omen (fantasy, real-time) are pretty much the best warhammer games you can get =/

Quilty said:
careful planning and strategy of the tabletop version.

Eh, a 40k match is resolved in generally two phases. First, you compare armies. If one is Space Marines and the other is something shitty that can't kill space marines, or any similar match-up of which there are plenty, the space marine player wins. But if there's some reason to play, then you roll the die to see who gets the first turn which means getting to fire first which often means winning.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom