Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dauntless - PC Exclusive Monster Hunter Clone

Hyperion

Arcane
Did 2 separate searches and didn't find a thread on this game yet.

https://playdauntless.com/

Developers are claiming ex-Riot Games (meh), and ex-Bioware (blegh) to try and pull people in, and comparing their style of game to Dark Souls, and Monster Hunter. MH is the obvious inspiration here, so why not just throw in Souls as well to sound cool?

Looks like it's going to be F2P, and Online Only. May be better off in the MMO / Online section, but anything MH related would probably draw better discussion and interest here.

Aiming for a Q4 2017 release. F2P is always a suspicious mechanic. Do I get to bypass grinds by deciding I wanna throw $50 at the devs? Or do they just give me pretty, aesthetic gear to cover my ugly, mismatched trash?

Owlbears are cool, though.

Not a promising Article Title...
http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/26/14...er-pc-windows-phoenix-labs-bioware-riot-games

Openly inspired by Capcom’s popular action-RPG, grinding-heavy Monster Hunter series, Dauntless is a third-person, co-op focused experience. You meet up with friends in a hub city, pick what monster — they’re called Behemoths in this game — you want to take on and then go on hunts.

These monsters are a much bigger challenge than your average video game enemy, or even compared to bosses in other games. A single Behemoth fight in Dauntless can take 20-plus minutes and send you chasing across a huge area to keep up with the deadly creature. That’s why you’ll want to recruit friends to help, and also why you’ll want to craft the best armor and weapons possible.

Where do you get the material for crafting? From killing Behemoths of course. As with any Monster Hunter game, Dauntless’ loop focuses on taking down giant enemies so you can harvest their parts and use them to craft better weapons and armor that will allow you to take on even more powerful enemies and so on. It’s a simple but delicious formula that has led players to sink hundreds of hours into each release in Capcom’s flagship series; new developer Phoenix Labs hopes to capture that same devotion.

But who is Phoenix Labs? This new indie team of about 40 developers includes talent that has worked at BioWare, Riot Games, Blizzard and Capcom itself. The studio appears to be taking lessons from each of these places. For example, Dauntless’ simple, clean art style feels like it could have come straight out of Blizzard.

The game’s planned business model, meanwhile, borrows from Riot Games’ extremely popular League of Legends. Like that title, Dauntless will be free-to-play, and representatives from Phoenix Labs told Polygon that they view it as a platform they could continue building on for years to come, rather than rushing to do a sequel.

Whatever the future, step one is getting Dauntless out to the public. Phoenix Labs says the game is nearing the state where its ready for a closed alpha, which some fans will receive invites to. That will be followed by a beta and, finally, a “full” release on Windows PCs later this year.

You can check out two boss fights from Dauntless in the videos at the top of this story and below. The one up top shows off a fight against a very angry owl known as the Shrike, while the below video showcases a failed attempt at fighting an icy lizard creature called a Pangar. Both of these boss battles will be available for the public to play at the PAX South event in San Antonio, TX this weekend.

Art Style is off putting. Reminds me too much of Wildstar.
Character and Weapon tied to one another SUCKS.

https://alpha-signup.playdauntless.com/ Alpha Signup Link if you give a shit.

System Requirements:
Minimum Spec:
  • Card: 660Ti (DX11)
  • CPU: i5 SandyBridge
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Target Performance: 720p, Low Settings
Recommended Spec:
  • Card: GTX 970 (DX11)
  • CPU: i7 Haswell
  • RAM: 8GB
  • Target Performance: 1080p, High Settings

Vorark

Erudite
Oh great, MH is now popular enough to get western clones too, lel.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah this looks bad in all kinds of ways. No locational damage, weapons seem to be pretty simple in function, low variety of consumables. Weapons tied to character class sounds fucking awful and is probably part of some kind of grind skipping scheme for people to pay into.

Only things I really liked was the removal of the old capcom partial health regen thing (which promotes basically taking long breaks from the fight to regen, which is boring as fuck) and I actually thought the graphics were good- MH games are not ones where you want the framerate to start chugging because the devs wanted to cover everything in a million greebles. The stylized terrain and enemies could go a long way to improving performance, and would also make it easier to add more content, which this style of game needs badly.

Hopes are not high, but it has potential if they change up the game mechanics significantly before release.

Unwanted

Fin

Unwanted
Edgy
No locational damage,

Lol fag.
low variety of consumables.

All you need in monster hunter are well done meat and potions
Weapons tied to character class sounds fucking awful and is probably part of some kind of grind skipping scheme for people to pay into.

Cause it's just an mmo inspried by monster hunter, of corse weapons are restricted retart.

Oh great, MH is now popular enough to get western clon

Typical west fag comment lol, monster hantha will alwis be a kiddy phantasy star and thats fac lol

sullynathan

Arcane
Survival sounds bad, looks like a lot of farming

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom