Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DAT mASS effect...

Captain Shrek

Should I play it?

I have refrained from touching it with a ten foot pole since its inception. Is it worth a try? Or is it just another shooter with a Story?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Of course you should play it. You'll either find more consistent reasons to bitch about it or have a good time playing a popamole shooter with interactive cutscenes.

win/win

racofer

Thread Incliner
Oh yes, also:

...shooter with a Story...

It doesn't have a story. It's a bunch of short sidequests thrown together and you complete one at a time. There's one main quest which is unlocked as you complete some number of these other sidequests (which don't affect the main one, by the way) and then the game forces you to complete the first two portions of the main quest. The last part you can start whenever you want after it gets unlocked though, so that you can finish all sidequests before finishing the game.

There's nothing else to it though. You complete quests, gain the "loyalty" of your team members and then embark into a 30 ~ 40 minutes long final quest which consists of you shooting everything that moves and making a single choice at its end which doesn't seem to have any effect at all, specially now that we know Cerberus will turn against you in ME3.

Captain Shrek

racofer said:
Oh yes, also:

It doesn't have a story. It's a bunch of short sidequests thrown together and you complete one at a time. There's one main quest which is unlocked as you complete some number of these other sidequests (which don't affect the main one, by the way) and then the game forces you to complete the first two portions of the main quest. The last part you can start whenever you want after it gets unlocked though, so that you can finish all sidequests before finishing the game.

There's nothing else to it though. You complete quests, gain the "loyalty" of your team members and then embark into a 30 ~ 40 minutes long final quest which consists of you shooting everything that moves and making a single choice at its end which doesn't seem to have any effect at all, specially now that we know Cerberus will turn against you in ME3.

:/

MetalCraze

Arcane
That's what's called RPG on the Codex, Shrek

Better get yourself Victoria 2 so you will have a game to play with your monocle on :smug:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Admiral jimbob said:
You have better things to do. Really, why even consider playing Ass Defect over (example) hopping onto GoG and grabbing the Might and Magic 1-6 pack or something?

Eyeball

Arcane
Don't play it. The story is not especially interesting and the interface is not very well suited for an RPG. However, if you can look past these flaws and delve into the combat system, you will be even more disappointed. Combat is confusing, clunky and the AI falls for the same idiotic tricks over and over and over again.

Mass Effect is remarkable in the sense that it takes flying around in a spaceship, having laser gun battles against robots and having sex with blue alienesses and combines it to one excruciatingly dull package. I found very little to redeem this game and couldn't force myself to finish it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It has a good RPG component to it. In fact, I experienced it during a tutorial mission where I was given a heavy weapon which worked like any RPG would, it blew up people.

By the time I wanted to pull out, I was in too deep.

Deakul

Augur
They're great games.
Don't listen to these pessimists.

Sure, they may not be equal to the RPGs of yester-year but they're damn fun romps with a great story and great characters.

Black

Arcane
You shouldn't play it.
At first you'll be like "well, this is bad, but it has to get better, right?". But it doesn't.
great story and great characters.
Hahahaha, 2011 strikes again.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
racofer said:
Oh yes, also:

Gah, you're such a downer!

racofer

Thread Incliner
k06pg1.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I like how he asks about ME1 and some people answer about ME2. R00fles!

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Well, that's because this is one of those crazy franchises that started with "the second game", kinda like how Final Fantasy started with the "seventh game" when it actually was the first. There never was a Mass Effect 1, save for a very well-written wikipedia article.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Pirate it. Get drunk. Give it a quick runthrough so you know what to bitch about on the forums.

torpid

Liturgist
Props for this thread being in General Gaming.

Don't play either one of them. And don't believe the line about the second one being "a good action game." No it isn't -- it's popamole incarnate.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Indeed. Codex was repeating so often about how ME2 is a super improved game, a true fun action game.

So judging by how ME2 really is it's either:

a) ME2 fanboys don't know what an action game is (e. g. a game with an actual action, not 50% cutscenes, 50% tight corridor where you shoot popping enemy heads from a static position)

b) ME2 fanboys are retarded

of course both can be true

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom