Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DarkUnderlord's BLACKSPACE The SPACE! game in development!

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
You don't need hardware interrupts for multiprocessing itself - as far as you're just dealing with a cpu and memory, you only need to maintain integrity of your data structures through context switches, and for that something like a hardware mutex or an atomic conditional instruction suffices. You can do all of that synchronously, so you should be fine as long as your scheduler isn't unnecessarily complicated.

The necessity of hardware interrupts is mostly caused by I/O, which the cpu can't synchronize. In a virtual environment, you can cheat by not having an actual HD, but there's still the keyboard, and a network interface of some sort presumably.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
So the game is not even in pre-alpha yet and there is first community OS for the DCPU-16.

'Atlas'

Working:
- multitasking
- loading of new processes
- some API stuff
- memory allocation / freeing
- keyboard support
- (ASCII-)graphic routines
- a bash
- killing of processes

Next up:
- some API stuff
- GUI
- big memory allocations (not only 1024 words)
- (virtual-) filesystem
- Test with other assemblers / emulators

https://github.com/Noxer/AtlasOS

dbx

Arcane
Patron
:smug: If it's a 16bit processor, could we use VaultOS on it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So the game is not even in pre-alpha yet and there is first community OS for the DCPU-16.

'Atlas'

Working:
- multitasking
- some API stuff
- keyboard support
- a bash
- killing of processes

Next up:
- some API stuff
- GUI
- (virtual-) filesystem

Does it use Windows 3.1 style non-preemptive multitasking?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

'Atlas'

Working:
- multitasking
- some API stuff
- keyboard support
- a bash
- killing of processes

Next up:
- some API stuff
- GUI
- (virtual-) filesystem

I can't wait till the game actually ships and these people get to try all of their software on the in-game computer. The butthurt will be absolutely immense.

Also: http://www.reddit.com/r/dcpu16/comments/s0qgr/exhaustive_list_of_emulators_tested/ - dude tests over 20 emulators, gets two of them to actually run, and they don't work according to specification. Sorry for linking to reddit.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
SO FUCKIN EDGY THAT THE LOVE JUICE IS DRIPPIN FROM MY MONITOR AS I SMEAR IT ALL OVER MY MAN BOOBS.

Cowboy stop making a fool out of yourself already, no one has to wait for in-game because there are already emulators made where people TEST their stuff in dcpu in real time AND play games which are ALREADY created (like tetris, pong, snake etc).

seriously stop trying so hard.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Whoa there, my friend Syril, you seem to be very agitated for some reason. Why don't you go calm yourself with a few hours of Notch coding on livestream?

By the way, are those emulators actually running at the specified 100kHz? You see, with no interrupts, and with Notch's awesome "memory mapped message queue", you need to poll the relevant address constantly in order to detect new I/O. That's what the OS you linked does, essentially, in its main execution loop too. I'm merely concerned about how fast that is going to be in practice, with the allotted processing power.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
13052.jpg

Whoa there

fed65b6c.png

Running Fox

Educated
Queued
I can't wait till the game actually ships and these people get to try all of their software on the in-game computer. The butthurt will be absolutely immense.
:roll:
Its a virtual CPU, pretty much in flux. Including the whole fucking game.
Even if it stays at 100 kIPS, that would be enough to control a ship and run tetris by the the side...

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I don't like Minecraft or Notch' plagiarizing ass, but this really sounds like a very original and ambitious project. It's amazing how many people already are creating things for it.

This may yet become the most original computer game after Dwarf Fortress..

Mortmal

Arcane
So far an exploration space game with a very limited computer on board your ship , i dont get it why people all over the boards are getting excited about it ,i genuinely would like to understand. Its sounds like blind religious faith. What prevented people doing programs for old 8 bits computers still ? Or why not apps for the raspberry pi ?
Minecraft is so overated already, its interisting but i got bored of it very quick.The core of the gameplay have not evovled much if any at all since the beggining, you get wolf pets now, great...

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
The asteroid is an icosahedron (20 sided die) which is fed to a make-surface-from-arbitrary-triangle-mesh code that subdivides, colorizes and offsets the polygons based off various parameters I will tweak per body type. Here's an example of an earth-like planet
The fun part of this is that I can make things like orbitals/halo worlds by applying it to the inside of a massive ring! Woo!
The subdivision level depends on viewing angle and distance from the viewer.

007_2.png

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
The asteroid is an icosahedron (20 sided die) which is fed to a make-surface-from-arbitrary-triangle-mesh code that subdivides, colorizes and offsets the polygons based off various parameters I will tweak per body type. Here's an example of an earth-like planet
The fun part of this is that I can make things like orbitals/halo worlds by applying it to the inside of a massive ring! Woo!
The subdivision level depends on viewing angle and distance from the viewer.

007_2.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom