Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkstone is back

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remember that game? The original Diablo clone in 3 D? It is back, available on Steam for around $3 after being released on mobile earlier.

I hope I am linking to the right video (cannot watch because firewall).

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Used to love it! I actually owned a boxed copy of it, which I lost over the years. Thanks for the update! *buys*

covr

Prophet
Patron
Why this needs DirectX 9.0c? It was released before DirectX 7, if I remember correctly.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Heh, I played it on PS1 and I remember not liking it very much. Might very well be tho that it was just a bad port.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I didn't play very deep into the game, but I thought it was pretty cool when I was a kid.

EDIT: Oh my god this song that someone linked. LOL. It reminds me of the Highway to the Danger Zone cover in the Top Gun PC Game by Spectrum Holobyte. So cheesy.

Zeriel

Arcane
My favorite thing about the original (and really the only thing that made it stand out) was the soundtrack, which was really nice. That being said... really can't imagine playing it as anything but a nostalgia kick, Diablo clones are one thing that have improved immensely over the years, a remake of one from the first generation isn't very appealing.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Sorry to be unpatriotic, Darkstone being a french game, but it really was nothing to write home about. Nowadays, famine brought by :decline: may make it more palatable, but I'd rather replay Diablo I or II.

Darkstone was okay for a playthrough at least. The original PC version allowed an a.i. controlled second character that you could switch between ( I don't know if the mobile based version has this). There is only one town but multiple overworld maps that have their own dungeon that contains a crystal. You can auto-backtrack to entrances you had been to. I think items could be improved at the cost of max durability and gold. There's food management and aging.

A lot of the basics are exactly like Diablo 1. Classes determine starting stats and stat caps. Spells are learned from books. There are stat increase potions and variable quests. I remember a town portal spell.

There are skills with some generic skills that everyone could choose and one class only skill. Sorceresses had the awesome lycanthropy skill that switched intelligence and mana with strength and hp which actually allowed decent melee ability early on (I think armor and weapons didn't shift well so it sucked later). The werewolf form allowed really quick resting to regain mana. I think wizards got an item id skill. All other classes have the same exclusive skill for both genders. Thieves of both gender could steal items off of monsters and townspeople. Warriors got a repair skill which reduced overall durability (free increase in resale though). I can't remember what priests get.

The original version had problems with my Nvidia drivers displaying stat text improperly. I just switch to my onboard video.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I haven't played since my original boxed version. I used it as a stepping stone into Dungeon Siege. There were mod sites some time back and i know i dl'd some crap. I haven't installed the gog version and messed around. Kind of curious what's been done lately with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom