Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Darkfall: Rise of Agon

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
It's back baby. The GREATEST game ever created is back!

influencemap.jpg

This is a massive open world sandbox twitch based PVP anti-care-bear MMO. Think EVE in a fantasy setting with first person twitch skill-based combat.

Construct cities with your clan, fight in massive sieges with hundreds of people, roam around for some solo or small group action, naval combat, played based crafting economy, mounted combat, drop-everything-when-you-die-cuz-this-game's-hardcore-AF-motherfuckingass-bitch check this shit out:

Basically, this is an extreme game for hardcore motherF7@43R5 and u gotta play.
https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/

This is the OFFICIAL thread for Darkfall discussion. Lemme know if u end up joining and we'll wreck some major face bro.

Bci0TlBCMAEhsB0.jpg:large

Doma

Augur
God Damn I miss early Darkfall. Played since beta in 08 until server shutdown of DF 1.0

It was tight as hell back in the early days of the game. On par with pre-trammel UO in my opinion.

Dont know if I have the time to get back into it with Rise of Agon though :(

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
God Damn I miss early Darkfall. Played since beta in 08 until server shutdown of DF 1.0

It was tight as hell back in the early days of the game. On par with pre-trammel UO in my opinion.

Yeah man some of my favorite times with the original were right at launch when everyone was starting off. Really excited to sort of re-experience launch where everyone is building up from scratch.

My time is also unfortunately way more limited now than it was years ago but skills gain waaaaay quicker in this version so I think I'll still be able to compete.

Doma

Augur

Yeah man some of my favorite times with the original were right at launch when everyone was starting off. Really excited to sort of re-experience launch where everyone is building up from scratch.

My time is also unfortunately way more limited now than it was years ago but skills gain waaaaay quicker in this version so I think I'll still be able to compete.

This is natural for Sandbox MMOs I feel. Its always best right at the start, because then people have not "figured it out" yet.

Its more of an exploration feel instead of a min/max grinding feel.

You played from the start? When there were only 1 server yeah? What guild were you with?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Doma I played it at the start too but IMO it felt like the "min/max grinding feel" ended up way too early. I did find it fun and explorative for a short while though. The game itself I had no problems with though.

I probably should've joined a guild, giving me more objectives and activities than, well, soloing.

Also I think I found the AI annoying (I mean, since you needed to grind). And since I was soloing, without a guild or a party, PVP was obviously quite dangerous and thus I would have to carefully pick and choose my battles.

Somewhat off-topic, but that's probably why I like being super sneaky and using surprise in FPSes rather than going for head on assaults. I tend to have great K:D ratio yet without not many kills lol. Another example is, say, MOBAs, I avoid 1-on-1 battles but I will sprint over to another 1-on-1 battle to surprise 2-1 them. I mean obviously that's ganking, but I'll also do it unplanned on my own.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

This is natural for Sandbox MMOs I feel. Its always best right at the start, because then people have not "figured it out" yet.

Its more of an exploration feel instead of a min/max grinding feel.

You played from the start? When there were only 1 server yeah? What guild were you with?

Ah shit I forgot the name of the clan I was in... I started when the US server launched and I was in the clan day 1, we mana missile'd down some high level mobs for keys right at the beginning b/c some people kinda knew what they were doing from the EU server.

We were the first clan to take Erinthel, shortly after launch. Was sick because I grinded to fire magic faster than most people so I ran around with small groups and we fucked everyone up.

I had to stop playing a few months after launch because I got super busy but the clan I was in ended up losing Erinthel and dying out anyway.

Revenant

I have played neither the original DF/UW nor RoA, but I think this youtuber covered it p. objectively:

tl;dw game is very laggy, unpolished and private server quality for a subscription fee in general.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Dawkinsfan69 Care to explain? The game itself or the playerbase?

Kinda both the game itself and the playerbase.

The big problem I have is that most of the people who are playing the game started on day 1 of release and grinded their asses off to cap everything ASAP. This means that to even stand a chance against most people in PvP you need to grind LOTS of shit to max or just below max level or else you'll be at a massive disadvantage. Because of this the population isn't really growing, it's mostly just a bunch of vets running around.

The game is a lot of fun at launch when everybody is leveling up but at this point in the game, people who join need to find a way to grind for about a month straight before even thinking about pvp.

Anyway it's very possible for a new player to get into the game and catch up but just realize it's going to take a few hundred hours of grinding as a complete weakling and getting stomped on if anyone feels like attacking you. People are pretty friendly to noobs tho and clans can help a lot but you still need to deal with the grind.

I guess I just don't like games with large up front grinds like this. I played at the US launch of original darkfall and was able to spend most of my time PvPing because nobody was really leveled up for a few months. I would imagine the game's great fun once you've leveled up all your melee skills, archery skills, all of the 8+ schools of magic and important spells, and some crafting so you can finally stand a chance in pvp.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Oh guess I might add that if anyone wants to try it, go to twitch and ask some streamers for trial keys. I ended up getting a free 7 day trial from someone and then someone else gave me a 30 day token so I haven't had to spend a dime on the game in the time I played.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
so, is this also full of cheaters and botters and auto aiming shit and all that garbage?

Revenant

Even if it's not, come play Albion with me bros instead of this garbage

Revenant

In, like, what ways? The simplistic graphics? I think the game has a distinctive art style and I like it, though. The abysmal grind? It was no other than Darkfall it copied it from, so I don't see how Albion is worse in this regard. What else?

jungl

Augur
This game would of been WAY more popular if it went f2p instead of its extremely niche population or better yet somebody should open a private server. I doubt the game would be hard to manage and update it only took 3 guys 10 years or so to make.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
This game would of been WAY more popular if it went f2p instead of its extremely niche population or better yet somebody should open a private server. I doubt the game would be hard to manage and update it only took 3 guys 10 years or so to make.

Yeah some sort of f2p model would have probably been a better idea, tons of private servers run purely on donations but that may have been sort of a gamble for at least the first year considering how obscure this game is.

I think the graphics are kinda a barrier for a lot of people as well because they haven't really aged well but hey runescape is still doing fine so idk, maybe they just need some big twitch streamers or something. Can't say I understand graphic whores but they do seem to be the majority

WOW GUYS LOOK MY VIDYA GAME LOOKS JUST LIKE A MOVIE WOWOWOWOW then go watch a movie u fuck cunt bitch

so, is this also full of cheaters and botters and auto aiming shit and all that garbage?

I didn't see any cheaters, there's some sort of anti-cheat running in the background that seems pretty good at detecting anything. Devs are super attentive too, I think what gets the most complaints is people who have multiple accounts (1 for combat and others for gathering mats/crafting) but that's allowed i guess.

Even if it's not, come play Albion with me bros instead of this garbage

I looked at Albion but I really want an mmo with FPS style combat, I can't handle any more of this MOBA or tab target bullshit. Even ESO's semi fps style really pisses me off.

Beastro

Arcane

F2P would only make things worse, F2P does not make gameplay better. Private servers just breed corruption. Either those running them fall to the temptation as P99 has or they find themselves incapable of keeping up with the tide of it flooding in. Usually it's the former that occurs, IIRC even Shards of Dalaya's staff finally succumbed.

This game made me realize how much PvP needs PvE. Wolves need sheep to prey on, they just shouldn't be in a world where the sheep can so easily outstrip the wolves that the wolves can't fight against them.

I think the problem with this game is it's fully built up front for the wolves and gears its world more to almost political warfare of sieging fortifications and
controlling territory without the "PvE" aspects of a game like Eve (which went in its own extremes).

I don't think a game like this could work in an MMO, I think the only viable type of PvP world that can be both functional and enjoyable is one that both attracts and sustains PvPers and PvEers in a setting that keeps the latter from outpacing the former while keeping the former from driving latter out of the game.

I can only think of that working either in a game world like EQ with plenty of PvE for the sheep to enjoy with the PvPers being outlaws living on the social fringes whom people flee from or hunt down when noticed in zone, or a unstructured wild west where people create their own content to fight over between decent PvE areas much like how UO was with home construction.

Now you could say DFs structure is much like the last thing I mentioned, but they way much of PvP culture is, sadly after the initial contest the losers either get driven away/pack up and leave or begin to break out the hacking and other illegitimate means to win and be the ones that drive everyone else away.

Unfortunately I think much of this advice as well wouldn't work and the main problem with a game like DF is that it's behind the times in that it's being built in mind with the way MMO culture was around the turn of the millennium when we were all naively learning the ropes which left room for everyone to find their niche in the games instead of too many PvPers playing not to have fun and build an enjoyable environment for all but to win, dominate and continue to crush anyone that tries to rest control from them that all too often leads to those that are dominant simply seeking to get on top and then bully everyone else keeping them from growing in power so they simply have a reliable population of invested people they can pick on at leisure until said population grows sick of the state of things and quits.

Sadly much of this is contained within the sentiment of Dawkins'. Now he can sneer and give me a bad rating all he wants, it won't change the fact that the very words he used in his OP contain the reason why it be another failure:
Basically, this is an extreme game for hardcore motherF7@43R5 and u gotta play.

That is the perfect recipe for a small population, something that doesn't play to the strengths of a game like this where it needs a sizeable population to provide bodies for all of this warring to get it's nice battles and casualty counts from in the way Eve does despite the bullshit in Coalition wars that players have always had to work in spite of.

People need to focus on what is good for the games' servers as in what keeps people playing in them, and if most want PvE bullshit, then it needs to be in there even if the PvPers loath it, it simply needs to have a balance where the PvEers don't just gain so much strength they can steamroll the PvPers. Whatever you think of PvEers I'm not asking you to like them, simply to support mechanics that attract them that don't make them dominate so you have prey to hunt. The wolf has no love for the sheep, but without the sheep it's simply wolf against wolf, and none of them have the ability to keep each other in check the way a horde of sheep can from sheer volume of numbers, they hyper-competitive nature results in a poisoning of the server culture that ultimately drives everyone but the dominant guild away until eventfully they too get bored from lack of prey.

Examples to illustrate what I'm talking about are: Being a newbie PK on Rallos Zek rolling around Commonlands and Nektulos and quickly building up a reputation that resulted in my name being called out as soon as I became noticed and hunting parties forming looking for me that could quickly build into the dozens that soon turned the hunter into the hunted as I began to sneak around trying to ambush and whittle their numbers down.

Alongside that PvEing with one of the last anti-pk minded raiding guilds on RZ, MIM, and having to pay attention to pks rolling into zones jumping you and hunting them down if they cause too much trouble as they try roll in and out of zones or try to do their own thing knowing people will try to disrupt it in kind along with with those odd moments at banks doing your business next to one of the more notorious names on the server.

The prime example I can think of the over competitiveness that has taken over since then was what killed VZTZ2 when Eight Inches Unbuffed tried to take over top spot from Heresy, failed only to pull out hacks that blackened every foes screen until typical emu staff corruption resulted in that iteration of the server dying days later.

PvPers need to be the underdogs. They know it in their hearts even if they don't want to admit it and sadly Darkfall doesn't encourage an environment that produces that state of being.

I think the graphics are kinda a barrier for a lot of people as well because they haven't really aged well but hey runescape is still doing fine so idk, maybe they just need some big twitch streamers or something. Can't say I understand graphic whores but they do seem to be the majority

WOW GUYS LOOK MY VIDYA GAME LOOKS JUST LIKE A MOVIE WOWOWOWOW then go watch a movie u fuck cunt bitch

That we can agree on, but I'm someone fine with EQs old graphics and the only big thing that annoyed me with DF at launch was that the Mahirim couldn't mount run on their own at launch since that was a big draw for me. Had that not happened I'd have gone Dark Elf and wound up having tons of fun booting afk people into the acid pools in their town much as I did to Orcs in their lava as much as I could do (and not much).

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I think New Dawn seems like the better reboot because of these two items -

Lack of daily activities
After much discussion, this is the one item that bubbled up to the top of our priority list.

The way Darkfall ended was that players would remain subscribed and would log on for sieges or massive events but would not come daily to “live” in the world. This caused a vicious circle of inactivity leading to the downfall of the game.
As MMOs are mostly social experiences, a game that does not give individual players a reason to log in daily cannot strive. A clan or a faction requires a critical mass in order to have a snowball effect of game interactions.

If you’re not online, how can you meet with that recruiter? How can you be there when you are called to defend against an enemy raid? Or when someone offers a boat ride to adventures?
A motivation for a lot of the changes we’ll be working on is to give individuals a reason to be online and have selfish ways for them to need other players.

An MMO should be on your mind everyday, at work, in transport, while speaking to your loved ones, in those minutes before sleep and especially when wondering what to do with your free time.

The power gap and player progression
The second point we want to work on is the power gap. It was certainly one of the most popular subject of discussion back in the days.

We believe that the way it was addressed then was a mistake as it removed gameplay rather than making it more interesting. It also cut down the long term appeal of the game which in turns reduced the daily activity for the game. We will be using a three pronged attack to tackle this issue.
First we’ll properly reduce the actual power gap. We want a maxed out character to feel stronger than a newer character but not overwhelmingly so. We also want to add drawbacks to being powerful or using powerful gear.

We assume that as a player increases in character strength, he also increases in player skill. We want to make veteran players lives more interesting by adding risk vs reward calculation and more decision making in their play sessions. An example of that approach that you’re already familiar with is gear effectiveness increasing linearly while gear costs increase exponentially.

Secondly, we’ll work hard to make PvE, and the overall progression, actually fun.
This goes along with wanting to have more daily activities. If players have the choice of multiple alternatives leading to the same end, then there are more chances for them to find a way they enjoy. Or simply to see variety.
And finally, Darkfall’s progression offered no actual choices. You had to raise everything at the same time in order to be viable. We want to add long term strategic choices for players when creating a character. At the core, Darkfall was amazing for its freedom, and that is not something we intend to damage, but we want to offer alternative routes for more specialized roles that reach max effectiveness earlier.

I'll try it out again but Pathfinder Online has actual character builds and offers everything Darkfall does. Guess what? Making alts that function completely differently is also a good way to keep people logging in. There is no worse system than a system that allows everyone to max everything and be everything in my opinion.

Beastro

Arcane
So DF and all the problems the game has will have any potential population will be split between TWO games now?

jungl

Augur
Nah private server would of made this game a SHIT ton more fun. Paying monthly for darkfall felt like you wasting your money giving your hard earned cash to europoor retards that do nothing to make the game better. I encountered so many aimbotters when I played back in 2009 and it was actually LOL funny actually seeing people pull off crazy 100 consistent perfect aimed shots. Private server you at least have (someone) that cares and go around banning people.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I think New Dawn seems like the better reboot because of these two items -

Lack of daily activities
After much discussion, this is the one item that bubbled up to the top of our priority list.

The way Darkfall ended was that players would remain subscribed and would log on for sieges or massive events but would not come daily to “live” in the world. This caused a vicious circle of inactivity leading to the downfall of the game.
As MMOs are mostly social experiences, a game that does not give individual players a reason to log in daily cannot strive. A clan or a faction requires a critical mass in order to have a snowball effect of game interactions.

If you’re not online, how can you meet with that recruiter? How can you be there when you are called to defend against an enemy raid? Or when someone offers a boat ride to adventures?
A motivation for a lot of the changes we’ll be working on is to give individuals a reason to be online and have selfish ways for them to need other players.

An MMO should be on your mind everyday, at work, in transport, while speaking to your loved ones, in those minutes before sleep and especially when wondering what to do with your free time.

The power gap and player progression
The second point we want to work on is the power gap. It was certainly one of the most popular subject of discussion back in the days.

We believe that the way it was addressed then was a mistake as it removed gameplay rather than making it more interesting. It also cut down the long term appeal of the game which in turns reduced the daily activity for the game. We will be using a three pronged attack to tackle this issue.
First we’ll properly reduce the actual power gap. We want a maxed out character to feel stronger than a newer character but not overwhelmingly so. We also want to add drawbacks to being powerful or using powerful gear.

We assume that as a player increases in character strength, he also increases in player skill. We want to make veteran players lives more interesting by adding risk vs reward calculation and more decision making in their play sessions. An example of that approach that you’re already familiar with is gear effectiveness increasing linearly while gear costs increase exponentially.

Secondly, we’ll work hard to make PvE, and the overall progression, actually fun.
This goes along with wanting to have more daily activities. If players have the choice of multiple alternatives leading to the same end, then there are more chances for them to find a way they enjoy. Or simply to see variety.
And finally, Darkfall’s progression offered no actual choices. You had to raise everything at the same time in order to be viable. We want to add long term strategic choices for players when creating a character. At the core, Darkfall was amazing for its freedom, and that is not something we intend to damage, but we want to offer alternative routes for more specialized roles that reach max effectiveness earlier.

I'll try it out again but Pathfinder Online has actual character builds and offers everything Darkfall does. Guess what? Making alts that function completely differently is also a good way to keep people logging in. There is no worse system than a system that allows everyone to max everything and be everything in my opinion.

I read more into Darkfall New Dawn and the title system and other changes. It all sounds great and well thought out. I think it may be a long haul game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom