Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkest Dungeon

boot

Prophet
We restarted on Stygian. Also playing with a more current version of the game.

Wujb6p7.jpg

JagreenLern's Crusader and Jason Liang's Bounty Hunter have not spawned. Everyone else is in (tindrli as Hellion, Servant as Arbalest, everyone else in their chosen class). Forgot to turn Deck-based recruitment off for a great chunk of the campaign, so for a while we were only getting Vestals and Arbalests and Plague Doctors.

Two men were drafted as we needed to recruit to keep fielding full parties. AngryEddy the Abomination and Thor Kaufman the Grave Robber seemed appropriate. Welcome to the kkk, men.
:hero:
AykyENI.jpg

mspVfnd.jpg
Grimwulf also just spawned in this week. I think he walked right in from the gRimworld LP. An alcoholic with hard nerves, roaring bellow, and commanding ability.
EF37O6I.jpg

2 other Men-At-Arms spawned but this one had the best set-up. Space magic at work, obviously.

We've had only one truly awful expedition.

Week 7:

OxSSmDJ.jpg

boot, Reinhardt (I had your name misspelled for a while, sorry, it's fixed now), Regina I. Perrin (vazhu, that's all I could fit in the text field) and MZeta went on a short trip to the Warrens. Wanted to break in the new arrivals and collect a half decent trinket .
Inv_trinket-eldritch_killing_incense.png

Eldritch Killing Incense

+4% Crit vs Eldritch
+20% Damage vs Eldritch
(Occultist)

Am8s46Z.jpg

I planned on using Highwayman's riposte ability with the Antiquarian's guard + dodge buffing skill to keep the party mostly safe from harm ... But I forgot to actually train the riposte ability, or the point blank shot that would have helped burn down enemies quickly. boot also had a dodge debuff from drinking in town. Also thought MZeta and Reinhardts starter skills would work for us, but I really should have adjusted them. I just didn't expect much resistance, really.

ICQELpv.jpg

End result was a fully afflicted party. Reinhardt almost died of a heart attack and survived a handful of deathblows. :salute:

qaVowEb.jpg

Are afflictions a set thing for each hero? Do they have the same affliction each time or is it random? Where is the manual?

Warren feels more dangerous than Ruins, pig men are tough. That and the increased rate of enemy critical hits from Stygian, combined with low torchlight (we didn't run out, I just forgot to use them :M) really punished our weak party set-up here, but we finished the quest and no one died.

mNsJkSN.jpg

Week 6 : We hunted down the Necromancer apprentice, which was pretty memorable. We took it on earlier than I would have liked and with what I thought was a substandard party, as there was an awesome trinket reward for it. (I thought it looked good anyway).

Inv_trinket-holy_orders.png

Holy Orders

+15% Virtue Chance
-20% Stress
+12% Death Blow resist

-20 blight resist
-20 bleed resist

wUOoGtl.jpg

We explored the lower wing of the dungeon and hit a bunch of rough fights. Eriador came onto the party already partially stressed and seemed to eat a critical each turn, so was quickly at his breaking point. Came down to Death's Door briefly but didn't get hit with any deathblows.

1JlgnzU.jpg

However, he managed to hold it together, somehow throwing out his own crits each turn, keeping his stress under control (he reached 98 at one point) all the way to the end.

lJJrTPG.jpg

Servant broke down against the Necromancer's Apprentice, becoming Masochistic, but the fight was nearly over so it didn't hurt us much.

BCQoxKG.jpg

Most troubling thing about the run so far- probably the lack of deeds. For a few weeks we had zero (0) deeds. Didn't find any at all in the dungeons. I've started converting them from other heirlooms, but weapons and armor have not been upgraded yet due to this shortage.

Y04HfCG.jpg

Our krew has had a rough time with luck in the town. Merc vanished for 3 weeks after he went on a gambling streak :argh: His absence was very noticeable as it happened nearly right at the start of our campaign. Caretaker always takes up needed resting slots.

BFpe3gD.jpg

Right now we're on Week 10.

New party members have come in at a trickle, the desired classes have been slow to spawn, and being unwilling to fire Heroes and take in fresh ones means we have had a slow start up with a lot of negative quirks accumulating, but I think we are mostly stable now. 15 Heroes, 11 unstressed, some usable trinkets, and enough gold to train a bit and head out on a medium length expedition.

Seems the key to getting strong is to open up the boss dungeons quickly so you can attempt them when you see a desirable trinket, and before you've outleveled them. That, and taking on longer dungeons as frequently as possible. Short length is not very profitable, unless you take the Antiquarian with you.

As long as you have a decent camp setup, medium-length dungeons don't seem at all more difficult than the shorter ones. Short dungeons should be left for when there is nothing better to do, or when you can't field a strong party, I'm thinking.

HpxyaEP.jpg

CjdcjIl.jpg

RCgBsiy.jpg

sbf9Dlr.jpg

ArbEugB.jpg

75oiLE2.jpg

vCLZo6D.jpg

bosST5A.jpg

axtUAXE.jpg

er9XzK1.jpg

kOW1V3a.jpg

G6E5D4R.jpg

Grave Robber conversation

I like Grave Robber a lot. Deals out critical hits very frequently which helps a great deal with managing stress.
Dayyālu defends Flagellant

Flagellant having no negative affliction seems very broken, haven't played it but that seems like an obviously unbalanced class mechanic. I'm not touching it. Everything about Crimson Court struck a bad chord with me, I don't think it is wrong to assume the class they attached to their DLC is also shit.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Flagellant can't have both common Virtues and Afflictions: furthermore, Raptorous gives indeed 25% damage but also -20 Dodge and ALL the usual fun things of Afflictions (stress increase, attacks self and others).

It seems bordeline malicious not to include a class done by the Devs themselves, widely recognized as balanced by the community just because "it seems shit because I say so".

Whatever, not gonna argue for pixel men and safe spaces. Fire the Arbalest (it's my own personal worst class, I find her useless) and gimme a Leper. Remember that a Leper can attack *gasp* two ranks with Hew and all ranks with Intimidate, maybe it's unbalanced.

I do approve of the "condensed" style of Lping, maybe you can reach the endgame this way.

boot

Prophet
I like the Arbalest...

It's not out of spite, I just don't want to turn it on for this file, and then be unable to switch it back off if I don't like it.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I like the Arbalest...

It's not out of spite, I just don't want to turn it on for this file, and then be unable to switch it back off if I don't like it.

If you don't like it, you can merely ignore the class afterwards. DD (at least my copy) has a modular mod system, you can safely ignore the Crimson Court and get just the Districts or the Flagellant.

I'd understand if I was asking some titty monster mod class (there are several, don't ask) but muh Flagellant ;_;

Again, if you don't like it at all, at least give me a frontliner. The Arbalest on my playthrough always performed badly, so it's my personal Worst Class.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Huh. I didn't know you could rename Reynauld and Dismas. Never tried. I wonder if you still get the achievement.

Eriador got the Yips again? That guy.

Arbalest is sort of underwhelming, but she has uses against some bosses. Hey, someone's gotta do the marking. Unfortunately, her competitor for position 4 is Plague Doctor, and Plague Doctor owns position 4.

No one died yet - good job.

Eriador

Arbiter
Yips AGAIN? :argh:Also, I'm apparently an expert healer lacking any actual healing skills...

Well, atleast I'm badass... right?

Anyway, the condensed LP style is probably the best way to ensure this actually gets finished, so I approve of that. Though I miss those short dialogues you did in the original update. As you've said, we need to explore how the dankest dungeon affects the mind of our heroes. :dealwithit:

Last edited:

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Used to love it at first by larping it's a psychiatry simulator, then just for autism.
Haven't played the game anymore since it became completely autistic and unfun, new classes just renamed even crappier classes and with super annoying grindy shit to be able to get rid of shit tier afflictions and even more stress and exaggerated level scaling that never gave you a sense of accomplishment, anymore and every monster being a bitch to beat and dealing ridiculous damage and basically being always broke and never being able to become decent.
I used to have two speargirls, healer or the 2-12hp healer (necro?) (who kinda sucked for healing in comparison, high variance and no mass healing but at least he could concentrate heal and everyone was immune to bleed after a while) and a jester singing nonstop. Was pretty fun and effective, and occasionally some goober class later just for completion. Found the Grave Robber (is that the gundude or the even more useless knife throwser) to be utter wastes.

Make me a speargirl or at least one of the healers, preferably the 2-12healer who can summon tentacles, will ya.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Week 10. Grimwulf hasn't been in battle once. Just chillin' in the hamlet, drinkin' with Caretaker, probably bellowing at Kalin the blacksmith so he would work faster. Dat's life, men.

BRING ALL YOUR LOOT TO ME, so I can redistribute everything according to our needs.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Week 10. Grimwulf hasn't been in battle once. Just chillin' in the hamlet, drinkin' with Caretaker, probably bellowing at Kalin the blacksmith so he would work faster. Dat's life, men.

BRING ALL YOUR LOOT TO ME, so I can redistribute everything according to our needs.
Just chilling with the bishops at Gilgamesh's tavern.

vazha

Arcane
We restarted on Stygian. Also playing with a more current version of the game.

er9XzK1.jpg

So you took one of the most iconic character in the history of British sitcoms (God bless Leonard Rossiter) and made him a woman? That's blasphemy, that's what it is.

Here, you ignorant ruffian, educate yourself :D

boot

Prophet
Week 1 - 18

Well, we restarted again. This time with Crimson Court, Districts, and Flagellant.

I got bored. Also, I read about the 'Never Again' quirk... If the game is going to screw with us like that all bets are off. Who cares about game balance.

cBqx9Wa.jpg

Here we are in the Courtyard, about week 4. Bloodmoon difficulty seems harder than Stygian. We had to restart a few times because we kept failing our first few expeditions, and I didn't want to start badly.

nCZ8VB7.jpg

Our first tough fight. We get two Crimson Court super trinkets out of it, and we end up selling both of them for 7500 gold. We still have a bit to go here, though. Dungeon ain't finished. Just gotta cross one more hallway...

M6UgrFc.jpg

The Hunger mechanic is broken. Heroes do not get gradually hungry over time. Every few steps in the dungeon they take, they must pass a hunger check. Sometimes they just fail them over and over, and you got no food left. And then your characters take massive stress and health damage.

xJoman6.jpg

Heroes lose their mind because they forgot to pack sandwiches or something. Great game.

PEeLEhg.jpg

fIdTLWr.jpg

Very prosperous DLC we got here.

q1xXV77.jpg

We now start getting mosquito enemies that spread the "Crimson Curse" seeded throughout all the other dungeons.

Now, I don't really like this. What ends up happening is that at higher infestation levels, you fight more mosquito enemies than enemy types native to that dungeon. So no matter where you go, you're fighting the same group of 2 little mosquitoes and 2 flesh pod mosquitoes.

And the Crimson Curse is not really explained anywhere in game. It will kill your heroes if you do not give them blood once every few weeks. It works differently than any other disease in the game, yet no where in game will you find any of it explained to you. It is very important that you know how this works, and how Blood works (it is the only provision in the game that can be brought back to the hamlet, CRITICAL detail right there) else you'll lose lots of progress, but you'll have to go online and use search engines to find all this out.

AoLuUGR.jpg

Many days and nights pass. We focus on clearing Medium/Long length dungeons as they offer better rewards, and I am familiar enough with the game that it does not feel very risky.

hhoYnxI.jpg

We mainly work in the Weald, as Deeds drop more often there (another detail that is never mentioned, yet is important). We need the Deeds for upgrading our roster, as well as our weapons and armor. We go into the Ruins sometimes for collecting Busts, as upgrading our Sanitarium is also a priority.

Anyway, going to skip ahead a bit.

kdcSMBA.jpg

The Crimson Curse has spread to more than half of our roster. We are struggling to get enough blood to keep our heroes from dying at this point. In order to end the curse we've got to clear an "EPIC" length veteran quest in the Courtyard. We have a few veteran heroes, they have some decent equipment and skills are trained, but I've been putting off attempting it. I've never cleared a veteran level quest, men. Supposedly there is a big ramp up in difficulty.

The infestation level is maxed so uninfected heroes don't stay that way long. I realize that we cannot put it off much longer. Still, I take on one last quest, to try and get our Flagellant up to Veteran level so we can send him fully upgraded into the Courtyard.

RHrDETR.jpg

:hmmm:

lWKWt4g.jpg

The map that was generated for this dungeon is awful, no matter what route we take we will have a lot of back tracking to do. We packed plenty of food but it will likely not be enough. Flagellant is OP though. Should be ok.

yC2XVjb.jpg

Then we encounter this guy about 10 steps into the dungeon. Mini-boss that hunts Heroes with the Crimson Curse. 3 attacks per round and a special gimmick move.

Cykf9ub.jpg

It was a p. bad fight but we manage to survive.

cVlOcan.jpg

JOE, the hero, finishes this guy off.

onZJnFv.jpg

We make camp and get everyone into working order. Stress is high but health is ok. I think we still have a good shot at clearing the dungeon.

MoU4gXN.jpg

We are slogging our way through. At this point we are out of torches and food, but we're too close to the end to quit. We'll be fighting in pitchblack conditions from here out. The Arbalest can use the Flare skill though, which helps a lot. I think we can manage.

Being forced to make camp so early (and so not benefiting from the 100+ increase in torchlight), and not having a good camp set-up is what hurt us here.

N2GrRSl.jpg

We get a failed hunger check. Everyone goes nuts after this. We find a stack of food 3 steps away.

Still, I push on. Only need 2 more rooms.

XO5AvNY.jpg

JOE!! JOE!!!!!!

5BJYJUh.jpg

:hero:

N6vKms0.jpg

We are nearly there. For Joe!

Fx1EWyZ.jpg

We can't continue. The rapturous Servant is keeping our party from retreating. We have to eat a few attacks, but do eventually manage to retreat.

8eutopT.jpg

Servant has a heart attack. (Heart attacks from stress... what are we 85 years old)

We are so close to completing this quest but I call it off. In hindsight, I should have gone ahead and reversed directions. The other hallway may have been clear and we only needed one more room explored to succeed. Servant could have tanked a few deathblows, probably.

hL6Knv7.jpg

Our first failure. Joe is dead. A tragedy. This could have been avoided.

76gwhgJ.jpg

Week 18, and half of the roster has just entered the 'wasting' stage of the Crimson Curse. If you do not taste blood within two weeks you die.

We will attack the Courtyard now, don't think we have anymore choice. It's gonna be just like the movies. We'll lift the curse right when everyone is about to die of this curse. Just like the movies.

I wanted to wait until everyone who had signed up had their characters in game, but we have reached peak drama, and I have to update now or else never.

MotherMachinae, your character Andrjze has not arrived. Everyone else is in. Storyfag, you are a Grave Robber, because we have 2 occultists already, and we needed one.

HEROES OF NU-KODEX
kq6X1rM.jpg

hnbreVt.jpg

suiLib9.jpg
OZlXS3d.jpg

FIDqDDf.jpg
i7hbIrZ.jpg
8ghTl5A.jpg

O84CH80.jpg

EGS2sz4.jpg

AfbVOq4.jpg

7Rdyvru.jpg

CYp6zcb.jpg

EBdpbee.jpg

ykPvsBx.jpg

AkDpw0T.jpg

XOQA9O1.jpg

mNcOnRw.jpg

PgUV7uC.jpg

I0ocrZa.jpg

RK47 was recruited as a jester. I don't want to tag anyone anymore. Next update half the roster might be replaced so... :M

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
That's cool. 18 weeks in and only one casualty, good job!

I would go with a different skill set for Qinalo. I personally prefer Finnish Him! and Uppercut over Flashbang and Mark for Death, but I use Bounty Hunter in Position 2 and if you play him in Position 3 that makes more sense. Finnish Him has huge range (it can strike from Position 3 into Position 3) and it's one of the few attack skills that has scaling damage bonus. Still, I usually unlock all the skills for every hero. There's no reason not to since you can switch skills between fights. Helpful for Bounty Hunter since he can be effective in every position.

Last edited:

boot

Prophet
xXIV2ou.jpg

This will be a tough one. tindrli, Celerity, Reinhardt, and janior are selected to try and save the krew from the blood curse.

893RPbg.jpg

We don't have a choice.

iNur64f.jpg

:bunkertime:

9SlqvIw.jpg

:troll:
It is my pleasure to inform the codex that there is a game breaking bug that may be encountered when entering the 2nd Crimson Court mission on older computers. It's been around for a while, developers never fixed it. Celerity was right all along.

Last edited:

MZeta

Scholar
It is my pleasure to inform the codex that there is a game breaking bug that may be encountered when entering the 2nd Crimson Court mission on older computers. It's been around for a while, developers never fixed it. Celerity was right all along.

Damn you Red Hook! :argh:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Tbh I feel like this run perfectly encapsulated the essence of the new expansion and the average enjoyment of most people who endured it.
This lp is art, to add anymore would be like Michelangelo giving David a third arm.

Also chick me is one of the few characters who isn't infected :) So let's just say the uninfected characters escaped this hellhole after all the infected characters failed miserably in their quest to cure themselves of vampire aids and died agonizing deaths.

boot

Prophet
So, fourth restart or is the LP over?

One. More. Time.

That's cool. 18 weeks in and only one casualty, good job!

I would go with a different skill set for Qinalo. I personally prefer Finnish Him! and Uppercut over Flashbang and Mark for Death, but I use Bounty Hunter in Position 2 and if you play him in Position 3 that makes more sense. Finnish Him has huge range (it can strike from Position 3 into Position 3) and it's one of the few attack skills that has scaling damage bonus. Still, I usually unlock all the skills for every hero. There's no reason not to since you can switch skills between fights. Helpful for Bounty Hunter since he can be effective in every position.

Yes, I just set and upgrade skills for each run/party, spending as little money as I think I can get away with, so sometimes they are out of order or don't make much sense. We can't really afford to have each hero fully upgraded. I like uppercut much more now and am finding Finish Him! worth picking, though. That was good advice.

And here I was thinking DD couldn't get more decline than when I stopped playing. You are one masochistic motherfucker, boot. *dibs*

*dibs graciously*

I want to say my thoughts on the game but I'll save it to the end.

But I'll say assembling parties is still interesting. I have put some hours into the game and that is still a bright spot. I am just playing through now because I want to fully complete this, if I did not open this thread I would probably be playing HOMM3 (I took a break from this game and went to that one, and

:abyssgazer:the decline is real, don't let anyone tell you there has been an rpg renaissance or anything like that)

Last edited:

boot

Prophet
Our 4th restart :mixedemotions:

-this time on Stygian. Playing with Flagellant and Districts enabled, Crimson Court is unplayable and that's probably for the best.

I do think we will complete this game, men.

NOT FOR HONOR BUT FOR YOU
uEcRxeu.jpg

For the sake of completion though, I do intend to finish this.

gmT9S3o.jpg

Week 25, everyone has joined in their desired/designated class and is alive.

Our Blacksmith and Guild are now upgraded to fully equip/train Lvl3 heroes. Now much, if not all of the risk that comes with venturing into Veteran tier dungeons is gone.

ECAbJmi.jpg

We have already done a few Veteran dungeons, though, running under equipped and undertrained. I just wanted to stick my nose in really, as I'd never progressed this far and did not know what to expect.

lmusU31.jpg

Turns out, enemies are mostly just reskins with better stats. Biggest difference is they dodge our attacks more frequently and hit much harder, but we still fight them mostly the same way. Definitely feels more dangerous, but this just gives incentive to grind out apprentice dungeons as long as possible so we can enter with full upgrades. I assume the next tier of dungeons will work the same way, and require it's own grind.

This monster is one of the few new monster types we have begun finding. Hits very hard, 30 damage on a critical. Impressive.

ljrJKMO.jpg

Not much to report on really, most of the playthrough has been smooth. I've progressed past the early portion of the game so many times that I don't make mistakes often, but there were a few interesting moments.

NAYHx4G.jpg

We had a close fight with the Hag. I'm not sure why we struggled so much here. I thought this was a strong group, but for a while we only barely managed just to keep our party members out of the pot and were slowly getting worn down. We took out the Apprentice version of her very easily, so I didn't expect nearly this much trouble.

Seems that the only thing that changes as the boss tiers get higher is that they gain higher stats. Move set is exactly the same, same tactics. Very pathetic, makes me wonder why I am wasting my time grinding this game, just to see bigger numbers.

Z6XYFS1.jpg

Regina I. Perrin was the first hero to successfully pass their resolve check.

DNHsnRF.jpg

ksmJzHK.jpg

The rest of the party lost it toward the end but Regina held it together. Stalwart basically makes that character completely immune to stress.

0xfq2Ia.jpg

This party was probably the one I had the most fun with. Vestal and Leper anchor the party while Jester and Grave Robber shift around and deal damage/buff. Very fluid and powerful, a lot of synergy between everyone.

XRfW5OE.jpg

We took out this boss without using a healer. I wanted to see if I could count on Flagellant heals to carry the group. Turns out, yes, you can. Very easily.

GwistKG.jpg

This boss fight was easily the worst one yet. Just incredibly boring. You kill reinforcements and hack away at a metal cannon for 3-5 HP per hit. It is not hyperbole to call it popamole. Now that I think about it, most boss fights have been that way.

MMUnhGi.jpg

That's about it, men. I'm hoping I can finish this off pretty quickly. Stygian time limit gives us about 60 more weeks, but we can finish the game off in half that time, probably, as long as we don't get any party wipes. An uneventful GRIND.

We're running out of Apprentice level heroes, but there are still some Apprentice bosses that need to be beaten. I'd like to get a few more characters but we can get by without, probably.

HEROES OF NU-KODEX + some class discussion

BwOdpCW.jpg

KJkgOpp.jpg

Houndmaster

I don't find Houndmaster very strong. He's too fragile to hang out at the front without buffs, his damage is mediocre and he only really has one attack. Has a very strong stun, maybe the strongest, and his camp skills are great, but not enough power, often feel it'd be better just to take along someone who can hit harder. Probably need to use him more often in marking parties.

N9533JV.jpg

y0kBXg2.jpg

KEeu4q7.jpg

Highwayman

:yeah:

Starting out I mostly used Grapeshot and thought Highwayman would end up being dead weight. However, he kicks a lot of ass all over the place. Riposte can hit any of the 4 rows for good damage and activates his counterattacks. Point Blank Shot deals heavy damage and positions him for another Riposte. You have room to mess around with his skills, but I think those two are his best and should stay on. Tracking Shot is easy to overlook but powerful.

Camp skills are all good. Gallows Humor may be the best Stress relief skill in game. I've yet to unlock the Melee buff but probably should because better Ripostes and more dodge is great.

Really like this class, saw a 30+ Damage Crit from him against an enemy with moderate Prot%.

VCURr6S.jpg

Grave Robber

Also really like the Grave Robber class. Fastest in the game, good range, great critical hit rate, great accuracy. You can also use Lunge/Shadow Step? in certain parties to great effect. Have not found the damage to be lacking at all. The Blight Dart is probably the weakest move, only really useful against very high Prot% creatures.

Camp skills are solid. Low cost and often useful + Gallows Humor. Pilfer is probably not worth unlocking but the other three are good enough.

8SSL1Io.jpg

AMizajO.jpg

e4FAGsn.jpg

DgaFRdy.jpg

nw9X74K.jpg

Plague Doctor

Very useful at times, but many enemies are Blight and Stun resistant leaving Plague Doctor without much to do. This problem seems to only get worse as we progress further into the game. Even basic mook enemies are getting more resistant to Blight and Stun. Not looking good for the Plague Doctor. I like Experimental Vapor/Leeches, though.

hWMZ6Us.jpg

Z4LzBT5.jpg

WhAqTnx.jpg

vI2R6qo.jpg

cL3KQZl.jpg

Vwj5dd9.jpg

TV4wJpO.jpg

mc2BAdw.jpg

hWMZ6Us.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom