Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Starwars

Arcane
Got my key but won't be able to play until tomorrow unfortunately.:rage:

EDIT: Actually, wanted to see how menus look but the game won't even start up for me. So...

:rage: x2 I guess

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If anyone has a spare key for this but does not have a key for Pillars of Eternity, I'd be willing to trade.

Renegen

Arcane
The first LP just came out, it looks good. I watched the 35 minute video that's also on the channel and it seems like 1 dungeon takes 1 hour to complete.

mfw he used all his rest items for instaheal out of combat. and he attacks melee units before ranged/casters
Yeah, I don't know what "Youtube hard" translates to, maybe easy if you've already played turn based.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Watching these streamers with early access I am amazed at how much donations they get despite playing terribly. It was just painful to watch.

I'm busy playing so I don't know how bad the streamers are, but the game can be brutal.

I'm really enjoying the gameplay - everything matters when you're sitting in the hot seat.

If anyone has a spare key for this give it to Metro.

Unfortunately I only have the one key.

Multi-headed Cow

After watching a goodly chunk of this earlier it does look better than the previous videos. Positioning still seems a bit questionable (More useful because some abilities only work in certain slots, rather than trying to protect the squishies) but the town and adventurer management looks pretty nice. It does look like it's a little dragassy (Even small things like reading "EVERYONE'S WATCHING ME" from some paranoid shithead 15 times in one dungeon) but parts of that they could clean up easily and other slightly draggy things they could maybe tweak on balance. Probably will D1P.

Gozma

Arcane
Being slow to the point of annoyance is my main worry now yeah

Gimme an instant mode to toggle on brah

Or at least make it like X-Com where atmospheric "fluff" like noises has some gameplay meaning encoded that I can't see on a menu so it's not just like 'cmon 'cmon 'cmon

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Slow animations significantly diminished my enjoyment of the later potions of D:OS and Blackguards 2 (okay, more like the later 95% of BG2). After seeing the same thing 100 times in a row, I feel comfortable with skipping the next 400 times.
I think all turn based games should have an "instant animations" toggle, even if that means dropping their play time from 30 hours to 20 hours.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game looks good so far, combat is certainly is no cakewalk - got my fist party almost wiped pretty quickly and had to retreat.

Multi-headed Cow

Being slow to the point of annoyance is my main worry now yeah

Gimme an instant mode to toggle on brah

Or at least make it like X-Com where atmospheric "fluff" like noises has some gameplay meaning encoded that I can't see on a menu so it's not just like 'cmon 'cmon 'cmon
I wouldn't even mind the dialog bubbles on the NPCs (Since it seems to be based on both class and the mental state of the character) if they didn't appear to lock down the UI while they were up. If the knight says "OH GOD I'M CUMMING" after a pig vomits on him that's well and dandy but if I can just ignore it and keep giving orders while he does that'd be best.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Watching these streamers with early access I am amazed at how much donations they get despite playing terribly. It was just painful to watch.

I'm busy playing so I don't know how bad the streamers are, but the game can be brutal.

I'm really enjoying the gameplay - everything matters when you're sitting in the hot seat.

If anyone has a spare key for this give it to Metro.

Unfortunately I only have the one key.
It's the thought that counts.

I'm not finding the game slow nor fast, guys.

The artwork, animations and coloring are fantastic when it's right in front of your eyes.

Few minor things - flavour text is both too frequent and disappears too quickly. Plus, Multi-headed Cow is right, dialog bubbles do indeed lock up UI, very noticeable when trying to interact with things such as chests, etc.

A few little graphical things require tweaking - for example, when in town, the roster to the right covers a small portion of text when hovering on the smithy.

As you guys can no doubt tell, this is a a management game. Thankfully so far it seems like there is a lot to manage, and it all matters.

Combat can be easy or totally brutal, depending on enemy party size and composition (2 enemies usually easy, 4 potentially party wiping) . There are missions where the objective is to uncover 90% of the rooms in a dungeon run. Some party members have a 'scouting' ability which reveals icons on the map indicating what lies ahead, and on these particular missions I find myself avoiding the battle icons as much as possible.

All in all, seems quite polished to me.

Multi-headed Cow

Combat can be easy or totally brutal, depending on enemy party size and composition (2 enemies usually easy, 4 potentially party wiping) . There are missions where the objective is to uncover 90% of the rooms in a dungeon run. Some party members have a 'scouting' ability which reveals icons on the map indicating what lies ahead, and on these particular missions I find myself avoiding the battle icons as much as possible.
Plus it looks like keeping everything well lit increases your odds of "Scout" triggering and mapping the dungeon out ahead, and makes you more likely to ambush enemies. I did think that aspect seemed neat. And it looks like you don't get XP directly from kills either, it's from completing the mission. So you only miss out on loot by avoiding enemies which considering how expensive it looks to reduce stress back in town you probably would end up coming out ahead.

Spot on!

In regards to not being able to protect squishy party members via positioning - I think it's a good thing. That way the heat is always on. I'll be interested to see if others get the same 'in the hot seat' feeling I'm getting. One thing that does reduce this, however, is that you can expand your roster (think it starts at 9, my roster is currently at 11, not sure on max maybe around 15), and you can recruit too easily. But it also hurts when you lose a guy who's gained a few levels.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
I am annoyed by the fact that they are going to start selling Early Access, but those of us that did the kickstarter at the Nomad level don't seem to get Early Access.

I asked if there was a way to upgrade and they just ignored my question.

I will be extra annoyed if people can buy early access for the same price that I did the kickstarter while I am still locked out of kickstarter.

When I did the kickstarter I assumed that those that did the kickstarter at a higher level would get closed early access, not open early access on steam.

I am looking forward to this game, but since I can't access it that enthusiasm may fade... oh well. Patience practice I guess.

Inventory management. :D

Started a quest that allowed me to camp once (it automatically provides the item for camping which takes up an inventory slot) and the objective was to purify 3 altars (which provided me with three holy water items, each taking up a slot). There are 16 slots. I then loaded up on food and torches because the dungeon in this quest is medium sized. There went another 2 slots to food and torches each (these stack, thank fuck. 12 food per slot, 8 torches per slot).

Well, I've come across a bit of money, a few gems and some resources, so bye bye 1 slot of food and 1 of torches.

Multi-headed Cow

I am annoyed by the fact that they are going to start selling Early Access, but those of us that did the kickstarter at the Nomad level don't seem to get Early Access.

I asked if there was a way to upgrade and they just ignored my question.

I will be extra annoyed if people can buy early access for the same price that I did the kickstarter while I am still locked out of kickstarter.

When I did the kickstarter I assumed that those that did the kickstarter at a higher level would get closed early access, not open early access on steam.

I am looking forward to this game, but since I can't access it that enthusiasm may fade... oh well. Patience practice I guess.
99% sure the early access (And I would guess probably the the fully launched price) will be $20, with the $15 Kickstarter tier being the Kickstarter cheap incentive price. So the early access price would be the same price as the early access tier on the Kickstarter.

They may not end up doing that but generally I think most (Maybe all) Kickstarters that go EA on Steam price along those lines. Which was why Planetary Annihilation had fucking $150 alpha or beta early access price and slowly dropped the nearer it got to release.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It was only five bucks more. I am not criticizing, but it's not like they have put the early access in some high tier.

Well, I've come across a bit of money, a few gems and some resources, so bye bye 1 slot of food and 1 of torches.
Who needs light anyway? And the lack of food is gonna motivate your hirelings to clean out the dungeon faster!

Livonya

Augur
Patron
I just hope there is an option to upgrade from Nomad to EA. It just seems odd to me that someone that just comes along now should get to play it before someone that took a risk on their Kickstarter.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, I don't blame you. Especially since they don't seem to let you upgrade. It'd be annoying to have people buying in and playing now when you're stuck in an uncomfortable limbo of already having $15 down on the game and your only options are waiting 6+ months for EA to finish or dumping another $20 to buy in.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
It was only five bucks more. I am not criticizing, but it's not like they have put the early access in some high tier.

Yeah, I get that. But putting money into games that aren't done is risky. Perhaps it was a mistake on my part. But I didn't realize it would be open EA rather than closed EA for backers only. I just want a way to upgrade that doesn't force me to buy it a second time... or remove it from inventory which I guess is also an option... neither are things I want to do.

Renegen

Arcane
There will be a way, I saw a post in the Steam forums, read somewhere there.

Ok, turns out the game does slow down a fair bit when all four party members' stress max out. Definitely needs to be tweeked. It can be fairly fast paced when stress is low.

Strangely, speech bubbles don't always lock up the UI.

This is a fun game, I've been on it for several hours now and don't feel like stopping.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom