Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ERYFKRAD said:
Hmmm, haven't heard any of those I-wanna-choose-gender-of-class-baaaaw-sexist making news yet. Are the usual suspects ignoring this so far or do we have choice of gender? So far it seems classes are set to one gender.

Well, the original trailer featured both a male bearded cleric (the one that gets killed) and a male fighter with long hair. I personally would go for those; having a female in "dark medieval" moody dungeon feels unconsistent.

Them being in the town cooking food and weaving cloth is, on the other hand, perfectly acceptable.

I hope you're not being serious. This is a fictional setting, and besides that there are plenty of places and times in the world that would qualify as dark and medieval yet had women that could hold their own physically. I actually think that's a neat character idea and have played some amazonian warrior women before.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar

An afflicted hero may not always do what you tell them to, or may act out in unpredictable and undesirable ways! Eating more than their share of food, striking a fellow adventurer, wandering off in the night, or just constantly complaining.

This will probably get annoying. Perhaps they should allow you a keyboard key that can turn on/off complaining dialog but keep the mechanics of 'constantly complaining' in effect (perhaps have an icon near the afflicted PC, so that if that dialogue is turned off you still know what's contributing to your party's poor performance).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
An afflicted hero may not always do what you tell them to, or may act out in unpredictable and undesirable ways! Eating more than their share of food, striking a fellow adventurer, wandering off in the night, or just constantly complaining.
This will probably get annoying. Perhaps they should allow you a keyboard key that can turn on/off complaining dialog but keep the mechanics of 'constantly complaining' in effect (perhaps have an icon near the afflicted PC, so that if that dialogue is turned off you still know what's contributing to your party's poor performance).
Eh, I hope not. Turning off negative personality traits seems dumb in a game in which they are pretty much the whole point. Why not just play a game that doesn't have them, if all you're doing is balancing numbers? I'd rather that they focus on making the writing robust and interesting, rather than throwing in an option to just turn it off on the assumption that it won't be enjoyable.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Link to the actual AMA Chris and Tyler (head artist and system dev) did on Monday (10/03/2014) http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2030kf/we_are_red_hook_studios_developers_of_darkest/

Some new(?) details about the attribute system and character progression. I'm less than happy to learn that it's possible to have a character who can learn all their potential skills, but the flip-side is it hurts more if you lose them. Also, the engine is custom built. Not Adobe Air / spirit.

RedHook(devs) said:
redditor said:
You've mentioned in the Kickstarter updates that entry into the Darkest Dungeon zone is likely to be a one way trip. However, are there any plans to introduce a NG+ like feature where buffed up heroes can stick around for a while, or will the game 'reset' after defeating the 'final boss' similar to a session of FTL?
Currently there are five regions (dungeon areas) in the game, with the Darkest Dungeon being the hardest. The way it works is, you use the other regions to build up a strong party of heroes first. When you are ready, you send them into the Darkest Dungeon on their potentially one-way trip to accomplish their goal. If they succeed, those heroes actually survive and are back in town, where they can be used to help power-level and train up other heroes. However, that particular hero or heroes will never go down to the DD again ('they have the "Never Again" trait.) So they are grizzled old vets that can lend wisdom but will, hell no, ever go back! :) Actual game completion metagoal requires multiple trips (and multiple parties) to successfully get through the darkest dungeon. And after you complete this metagoal (sealing Darkest Dungeon), the game wraps to NG+.

SomeRedditDude said:
I was wondering if there are any plans to allow for the customization of party members beyond their equipment, for example with skill trees or specializations?

In the Kickstarter it says there will be ways to upgrade skills in town, but will it be possible to play different styles of Plague Doctors, for example? The party roguelike style reminds me of Etrian Odyssey, which is where I think this question comes from.

From another comment you made, you said that older, wiser heroes can train newer ones; might it be possible that they might even pass off unique skills with certain class combinations?
Yes, each class has class-specific skills that can be trained up. You will get to choose which skills to upgrade first, so there is some degree of 'speccing' that goes on, although not to the degree of Diablo II, say. For example, with the Highwayman, you could spec him to be more front-line weighted or spec him to be more back line. Eventually you could get all skills ugpraded to even him out, but you might not feel that's a useful investment if you like how you have him in your party.

The quirks are something that are interesting, too. As you acquire quirks (positive and negative traits), you can burn off quirks you don't like and try to get a collection of quirks that fits the class. For example, a +Ranged Accuracy quirk (Eagle Eye) is great for a Highwayman, but not as useful for a Crusader.

SomeRedditDude2 said:
  1. How many quirks are you shooting for in the final version of the game? How many are negative and how many are positive? Is it possible to lose quirks?

2. How many abilities does each class have? Do they have all abilities unlocked from the start? Do classes have passive abilities?

3. We've seen some of the abilities of the Crusader, Highwayman, Plague Doctor, and Vestal. Can you discuss some of the abilities that the other classes may use both in and outside of combat?

4. Is equipment separated by class? While I would imagine that weapons are separated by class, would an Occultist be able to wear the same armor as a Crusader or Man-at-Arms?

5. How do you recruit classes in the hamlet? Are all the classes unlocked at once or do you need to reach certain progression points in order for specific classes to show up?

6. You've talked about the five different dungeons players will be exploring, and how the Darkest Dungeon will be the hardest. For the other four, can you explore them in any order, or is there a set order one should follow?

7. In order to leave the dungeon, do you need to walk back to the exit or is there another way of retreating from the dungeon?

8. Are you required to camp? Do you need to be in certain locations in the dungeon to make camp or are you able to make camp anywhere?

9. Do you need to provide rations for each member of the party when camping?

10. In regards to the darkness; we know that as you advance through the dungeon your torch fades, raising the difficulty. Are there ways to relight your torch?

11. Can you give more information about possible events that may occur in the various dungeons? Will the events in the Weald differ from ones found in the Cove?
  1. You can manage your quirks and afflictions in town, reducing and/or removing them for a cost (gold and time). We're still playing with the total 'quirk loadout size', but our core assumption is that the number of negative vs. positive quirks will be the same.

2. Each class has about 8 abilities total. They aren't all available from the start - you must train new abilities and upgrade your favorites in order to progress your hero. Additionally, each hero can only have 4 abilities slotted at the same time, allowing you to effectively play with different builds.

3. Off the cuff? The Bounty Hunter can grapple enemies, pulling them forward, and juggling their order. This exposes weaker back row baddies to melee damage, and potentially forces melee opponent out of range! The Hellion can cause a bleed effect, which in turns triggers her frenzy, increasing her damage substantially.

4. Yes, our classes are archetypal - that is, there is no cross-polination of gear between them. This was done as much for a thematic reason as for a production reason. We wanted iconic classes that were immediately recognizable, and with only me doing the art, we couldn't afford all the variations ;)

5. Heroes will wander into the Hamlet randomly, so each time you visit the Stagecoach, you'll get a different set of heroes to peruseand potentially recruit. Some will be completely blank slates, whereas others will come with some better gear, but some quirks as well. You can recruit up to about 20 heroes, depending on how deep your pockets are :)

6. You can actually explore any dungeon at any time! Even the Darkest Dungeon. Sure, grab 4 FNG's and head up the hill to the end of the world. Don't say we didn't warn you! Players will look at their estate map, and select quests based on where they want to go at the time.

7. When you accomplish your goal, you'll immediately be taken to a reward/wrap up screen, and brought back to town. Retreading is not nearly as fun as treading.

8. You can make camp in most rooms, and it require you consume firewood in order to do so. The stress mechanic is such that camping is critically important, so you'll want to come prepared.

9. Party members all pull from your common food supply when you make camp. You have the option to starve, snack, eat, or feast, each one replenishes different levels of health and stress. Except starving. That just sucks.

10. Camping resets your torch, so when things get really rough, you'll want to light a fire, and grab some zzz's.

11. Events are interactive objects are themed per dungeon, so for instance, Food Spoilage will happen much more frequently in the toxic Warrens, and Gangrene will pop up in the salt-soaked Cove.
AnotherRedditor said:
Will we see crafting/socketing/enchanting in the game? I personally like putting a "personal touch" on weapons or armour, so I really like crafting.

Also how much music do you expect to included at release? Will there be variations for each dungeon, each floor or maybe even depending on the monsters? Sometimes the combat music in turn-based RPG's can be quite boring when you've played 20 hours, so just wondering how much you are doing to keep it as fresh as possible. :)
We've talked generally about a weapon/armor mod system, and it's sitting at the very top of our wish list. If things go well over the coming months, it might be added during early access. Additionally, we have an interesting mechanic that allows you to use inventory items when you interact with an object to change/affect the outcome. FOr example, a 'dark idol' might instill madness in your hero if you interact with it, but if you use holy water first, it might become a blessed fountain. Not crafting per se, but mechanically similar in some respects - experimentation, item consumption, etc.

Music-wise we're looking at dungeon themes, a town theme and an escalating combat mix. We're doing everything we can to avoid aural fatigue and enhance the experience of dungeoneering! Plus Chatwood is a boss, so the more we have from him, the better :)

Personally, one of the things I was worried about from the initial screenshots was that the dungeons looked simplistic. Apparently they're going to be 'maze-like' or labyrinthine.

RedHook(devs) said:
LastRedditor said:
Will the dungeous be sprawling and mazelike, where you set carve out a path and have to make meaningful decisions as to your direction weighted by the possibility of not being able to go back and explore a passed by door? Or are you shooting for dungeon floors where someone could go room to room and explore every inch of each floor before proceeding?

Will there be a map where you can view the entirety of the explored floor? Or are you guys keeping it to the limited HUD map too reinforce the claustrophobic feeling of crawling through an unknown dungeon?
Great questions -

The map in your lower right HUD is scroll-able, so you can pan around and check out areas you've explored, but we don't offer a larger version, precisely for the reasons you mentioned.

Each quest spawns it's own dungeon - sprawling and mazelike - and depending on the quest objective, you'll have a different approach each time. Some quests might ask you to map the entire floor, whereas others might require to hunt and kill an elite enemy, or recover a specific item, among other things. You *could try to explore every room each time if you wanted, but with finite supplies, and ever increasing stress, we think you'll want to get in and out :)

I'm more excited than before, glad I backed. :salute:

Murk

Arcane
Huh, a lot of that sounds good. Some actual details, and it seems the game has some depth to it. If it can provide replayability then I think the game can be quite a nice distraction from more linear big-production games soon to come.

imweasel

It's a rogue-like, so I guess the dungeons are randomly generated. Will there however be a campaign mode with a static dungeon and largely hand-placed loot?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Kickstarter has ended at $313k.
So colouring your dudes pink is in, but AAAwesome emotionally engaging cutscenes and steamy workshops are not.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That's the KS ammount, hopefully with Paypal it got to the goal... or at least close enough for them to implement it anyway.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Color customization doesn't seem like something that should have been a stretch goal. How hard could that be to program?

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Color customization doesn't seem like something that should have been a stretch goal. How hard could that be to program?
Eh, they're not going to spend $50,000 making it happen, but it was neat as a little bonus reward to the backers for supporting the project.

A tote bag that says "I SUPPORT PUBLIC BROADCASTING" doesn't cost $65 to make and ship either, it's just a nice thing to give to a dude who pledges $65 cause he likes Masterpiece Theater.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I think it's a fucking shame Color Customization sat at $300k while the stretch goal for cinematics of the same style/narrator as their preview vids (and later included steam workshop) was at $350k. I think they missed an opportunity. in my mind, it's like losing the narrated chapter breaks in bg1/2 in exchange for letting players pick a custom skin tone. content to improve storytelling (and I'm a fanboy of those old IE game chapter breaks) is more compelling than content for IMMURZION (for this project).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, they're not going to spend $50,000 making it happen, but it was neat as a little bonus reward to the backers for supporting the project.

A tote bag that says "I SUPPORT PUBLIC BROADCASTING" doesn't cost $65 to make and ship either, it's just a nice thing to give to a dude who pledges $65 cause he likes Masterpiece Theater.

That's not really the best analogy. The tote bag is more analogous to the individual tier rewards as opposed to stretch goals.

Zombra

Patron
That's not really the best analogy. The tote bag is more analogous to the individual tier rewards as opposed to stretch goals.
It's not perfect, but if you comprehend why the analogy isn't perfect, you also comprehend why a stretch goal doesn't have to literally cost the amount of money pledged to reach it. Quibble all you like, but you get my point.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
While it's not written in stone I'd say it's one of those universally accepted norms of Kickstarter that the whole purpose of a 'stretch' goal is to expand the game/deliver more content than what was originally planned thus the numbers would follow some reasonable ratio of money/labor/bonus content.

Zombra

Patron
While it's not written in stone I'd say it's one of those universally accepted norms of Kickstarter that the whole purpose of a 'stretch' goal is to expand the game/deliver more content than what was originally planned thus the numbers would follow some reasonable ratio of money/labor/bonus content.
You're welcome to that point of view, but at least one Kickstarter disagrees with you, and I never assumed that either, so to call it 'universal' is incorrect. Kickstarter is still way too young to codify any assumptions about it into some kind of 'unwritten universal law'.

Also, it strikes me as a bit silly to complain about stretch goals and their dollar levels after the campaign is over. Your point would seem to be that they "owe" us something extra because they got more money than they "needed" to deliver the experience they "promised". Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Eh, I hope not. Turning off negative personality traits seems dumb in a game in which they are pretty much the whole point. Why not just play a game that doesn't have them, if all you're doing is balancing numbers? I'd rather that they focus on making the writing robust and interesting, rather than throwing in an option to just turn it off on the assumption that it won't be enjoyable.

You and I both know the internets are full of comments about how annoying the chat of party members is in the BG series. Even good writing can be nails on a chalk board when it pops up in front of you over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You're welcome to that point of view, but at least one Kickstarter disagrees with you, and I never assumed that either, so to call it 'universal' is incorrect. Kickstarter is still way too young to codify any assumptions about it into some kind of 'unwritten universal law'.

Also, it strikes me as a bit silly to complain about stretch goals and their dollar levels after the campaign is over. Your point would seem to be that they "owe" us something extra because they got more money than they "needed" to deliver the experience they "promised". Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

That's not my point at all. But you seem more interested in arguing semantics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom