Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
sidescrolling blobbers just feel... weird.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's not "side-scrolling"

Look at the map, it's a grid-based game, you move from square to square like in a boardgame.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

Look at the map, it's a grid-based game, you move from square to square like in a boardgame.
all i can see is you sidescrolling a linear path with rooms sometimes having doors that let you sidescroll on an alternate linear path.
looks a lot like a grimdark version of the spirit engine... would buy, but they have no paypal option.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

all i can see is you sidescrolling a linear path with rooms sometimes having doors that let you sidescroll on an alternate linear path.
Then you're paying too much attention to the viewport. Those big squares looks like special encounters, the paths seem linear because their purpose is just to link them together and contain some pitfalls.

Mortmal

Arcane
Do you really think all 7 team members are working full-time on this? I seriously doubt that.
Well they sure aren't at 75k!
Of course not and its never the case for any kickstarters , its for the advertisement and notoriety boost. Last kickstarter i backed was kingdom come the amount asked is ridiculous compared to the amount they already invested in. Its all just for hyping the game.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

Then you're paying too much attention to the viewport. Those big squares looks like special encounters, the paths seem linear because their purpose is just to link them together and contain some pitfalls.
those big squares are rooms. paths only branch out from rooms. paths between rooms are linear, not branching. the mouse is not over the squares and the map takes up a small area compared to the sideview which is the most prominent and last but not least IT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THE SPIRIT ENGINE which is also a sidescroller (without jumpnrun) party with 4 doods rpg exactly as this seems to be. i'm, willing to bet you either control with left right arrows or it's more automatic like banner saga and you just pick a path to walk down when you reach a room.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
My immersion is the difference! :x
You have issues playing as a group of people in sideview, but no problems playing as a ball of slime with multiple-personality disorder? 'k.
Don't you want unity ERYFKRAD?

FO01_NPC_Master_B.png

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

those big squares are rooms. paths only branch out from rooms. paths between rooms are linear, not branching.
Rooms, special encounters...same thing. They look like the meat of the dungeon, it's where navigation branches, and again the purpose of paths seems like just linking the rooms so the paths not branching doesn't really make much mean much.

the mouse is not over the squares and the map takes up a small area compared to the sideview which is the most prominent and last but not least IT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THE SPIRIT ENGINE which is also a sidescroller (without jumpnrun) party with 4 doods rpg exactly as this seems to be.
I never played Spirit Engine but from what I've seen in this the side-view is just a visual abstraction, hardly what I'd call a sidescroller.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Rooms, special encounters...same thing. They look like the meat of the dungeon, it's where navigation branches, and again the purpose of paths seems like just linking the rooms so the paths not branching doesn't really make much mean much.
the paths is where random encounters happen and since the game is big on managing sanity they are very much important.
but from what I've seen in this the side-view is just a visual abstraction, hardly what I'd call a sidescroller.
all views are visual abstractions. most blobbers can be played on the mapscreen unless they use some stupid dungeon master item dragging or switch pressing. sidescroller just means the main presentation happens to be from the side and scrolling, both of which are true here.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
the paths is where random encounters happen and since the game is big on managing sanity they are very much important.
but from what I've seen in this the side-view is just a visual abstraction, hardly what I'd call a sidescroller.
all views are visual abstractions. most blobbers can be played on the mapscreen unless they use some stupid dungeon master item dragging or switch pressing. sidescroller just means the main presentation happens to be from the side and scrolling, both of which are true here.
A side-scroller implies smooth real time movement. Not grid based.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
all views are visual abstractions.
I mean in the same sense as first-person view in a blobber in that it's just visuals, not something intrisic to gameplay like Ultima Underworld.

most blobbers can be played on the mapscreen unless they use some stupid dungeon master item dragging or switch pressing.
Exactly.

sidescroller just means the main presentation happens to be from the side and scrolling, both of which are true here.
I disagree, for something to be a side-scroller to me the perspective has to matter. Like Metroid, Castlevania, Megaman, etc. If I go down on the screen I go down, If I go up I go up. In this game you are always going left or right, the real movement is happening on the grid map.

ColCol

Arcane
I asked them about inactive party members:

"Hi ----------. Yes, party members can die. You maintain a roster of heroes in town, kind of like X-Com--most people will probably have about a dozen, but depends on the player.

Thanks for writing!"

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
I disagree, for something to be a side-scroller to me the perspective has to matter. Like Metroid, Castlevania, Megaman, etc. If I go down on the screen I go down, If I go up I go up. In this game you are always going left or right, the real movement is happening on the grid map.
your disagreement is noted and disregarded. that's one of the most prominent sidescrollers of its time, btw, i think it even got indexed or at the very least censored in germany because of the incredible level of brutality towards heaps of pixels that might have just as well been robots with red hydraulic fluit.
the fact alone that you cite three metroidvanias (or two and a half) and then say that because they share common control elements all sidescrollers have to is pretty darn ridiculous... sidescrolling is just a view description without control implications beyond you can go at least in one direction. banner saga overworld is a (bad) sidescroller, this game is a sidescroller, so is spirit engine, which you should play if you haven't. either way it's getting late so g'night.

Last edited:

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
A quick update.

Tyler Sigman said:
Hi everyone--we're already overwhelmed with thankfulness at the support. We also are reading all the feedback and taking it into consideration!

Regarding the Exclusive Class at "Adventurer" and above, we hope this clears some things up: The game will feature roughly a dozen playable classes (or more, depending on stretch goals), each with different roles, strengths and weaknesses. The exclusive class will be a variant on an existing archetype, with fresh look, theme, and some play variations. Not quite purely a skin, but it's also not something that you will require to have the full game experience. Our goal in creating all of the reward tiers has been to provide interesting rewards of various types to thank you for backing us and helping to get this made no matter what level you back at. We hope you see the exclusive class as just another one of those rewards. All of the backer rewards – whether it’s an art book or an exclusive class, cost us extra money to develop in the end. We are a very small developer and do really want to reward backers like yourselves in a variety of neat ways.

We definitely understand that not all of you will agree with the class, but we hope this sheds a bit more light and you will still support the game if you like it. Rest assured that we’ll continue to monitor feedback, too, and we want everyone who backs to feel appreciated.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
can one of you with twitter or kickstarter ask them about paypal?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
your disagreement is noted and disregarded. that's one of the most prominent sidescrollers of its time, btw, i think it even got indexed or at the very least censored in germany because of the incredible level of brutality towards heaps of pixels that might have just as well been robots with red hydraulic fluit.
the fact alone that you cite three metroidvanias (or two and a half) and then say that because they share common control elements all sidescrollers have to is pretty darn ridiculous... sidescrolling is just a view description without control implications beyond you can go at least in one direction. banner saga overworld is a (bad) sidescroller, this game is a sidescroller, so is spirit engine, which you should play if you haven't. either way it's getting late so g'night.
You are missing the point. I'm saying that for it to be defined as a side-scroller the viewport has to matter to the game. The up and down movement is an example in contrast to how in this game you actuallly move on four cardinal directions and switch levels on the grid map only and the viewport is just a visual part doesn't matter, they could just as well be moving torwards the screen.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
fuck it who needs sleep when you can argue on the internet....

if the game showed things from first person it would be first person despite being functionally identical to the sidescroller variant. view descriptors are irrelevant to gameplay. they only describe the view. a first person blobber is still first person even if all you need to play it is the map and the first person view is irrelevant. it still describes a certain style element and people might like it more or less based on said style element even if different implementations of said purely stylistic element would be functionally identical, because people attach different values to superficial elements. i for one, would like the game more if it had a first person view, although now that i think about it it would prolly be more unnerving to have no actual movement control over the party with a first person view.. your argument for the view somehow needing to have some relevance to gameplay is completely incomprehensible to me... especially when it's just called a sidescroller, not a sidescrolling shooter, not a sidescrolling jump'n run, not a sidescrolling whatever, just sidescroller, which describes perfectly the primary way in which the game presents its gameworld.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom