Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I had such high hopes for this game. I played it a ton - recommended it to everyone here at Obsidian - and many here bought it on my recommendation. Then the Devs... I don't know what they were thinking. They took a game where the RNG was already a big factor - and amped it up. RNG to the RNG, so to speak. They added in "features" that most hate, obviously except the most contrarian, hardcore player. I recently tried to play it again, and the TEDIUM is just overwhelming.

Even if you play the early game without attaching yourself to ANY of your heroes, just grind them up and throw them away - the sheer tedium and fantastical RNG swings make the game unbearable.

I loved the art, the atmosphere, the music, and the very idea of this game. I loved how active the Devs were in updating and keeping the fans informed. They did so many things absolutely correct, but in my opinion, they just botched the most important part - which was making the game fun.

Compared to Battle Brothers or Mordheim - the game just isn't fun anymore. Hopefully neither of those games will follow Darkest Dungeon's route

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anthony Davis
I'm with you. Loved the game on early Early Access, and then they made it 'hardcore.' It was already fucking hard until you learned the ropes. Then you kinda sailed smoothly, unless you fucked up. That, to me, was a good level of difficulty. Right now the game is just some masochism simulator, and anyone disagreeing is probably some edgelord trying to brag about how hardcore he is.

By the way, how do you like Mordheim? I was watching Ulmi's stream and the game seems like a must buy but I'd like to hear what you think.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
All boardgames conversions are must buys. Even the popamole ones like Mordheim require more thought and strategy than your average 'hardcore' pc game.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Anthony Davis
I'm with you. Loved the game on early Early Access, and then they made it 'hardcore.' It was already fucking hard until you learned the ropes. Then you kinda sailed smoothly, unless you fucked up. That, to me, was a good level of difficulty. Right now the game is just some masochism simulator, and anyone disagreeing is probably some edgelord trying to brag about how hardcore he is.

By the way, how do you like Mordheim? I was watching Ulmi's stream and the game seems like a must buy but I'd like to hear what you think.

I don't want to cross post here about Mordheim. I'll go post some more thoughts in the Mordheim thread over here.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I had such high hopes for this game. I played it a ton - recommended it to everyone here at Obsidian - and many here bought it on my recommendation. Then the Devs... I don't know what they were thinking. They took a game where the RNG was already a big factor - and amped it up. RNG to the RNG, so to speak. They added in "features" that most hate, obviously except the most contrarian, hardcore player. I recently tried to play it again, and the TEDIUM is just overwhelming.

Even if you play the early game without attaching yourself to ANY of your heroes, just grind them up and throw them away - the sheer tedium and fantastical RNG swings make the game unbearable.

I loved the art, the atmosphere, the music, and the very idea of this game. I loved how active the Devs were in updating and keeping the fans informed. They did so many things absolutely correct, but in my opinion, they just botched the most important part - which was making the game fun.

Compared to Battle Brothers or Mordheim - the game just isn't fun anymore. Hopefully neither of those games will follow Darkest Dungeon's route

It's like that thing Jeff Vogel is talking about

Still, I put the blame squarely on the devs here. Feedback is feedback, it is what you do with it that matters.

One can hope that a bit of numerical tweaking will lessen the issue until January. The systems are there.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Agree very much with these sentiments. This game had solid foundations but the RNG shit undermines it. The last game I bought in Early Access and probably the last game I ever buy Early Access.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

It's like that thing Jeff Vogel is talking about

Still, I put the blame squarely on the devs here. Feedback is feedback, it is what you do with it that matters.

One can hope that a bit of numerical tweaking will lessen the issue until January. The systems are there.

Wow, I never read Vogel's input on DD before, but it was like he read my mind, then wrote something smarter than I could ever say or write.

Mozg

Arcane
I don't like dumping the blame for DD on difficulty hounds. It was a really unsound and brainless design to start with.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I don't like dumping the blame for DD on difficulty hounds. It was a really unsound and brainless design to start with.

I agree, insane difficulty is fine for some, if you can ground it on good system, but DD was all presentation and a lack of a good system foundation, so the only way to work with the difficulty and make new challenges was fudging with RNG.

The presentation and idea hooked me for a good 20 hours, but the barebones system was eventually exposed, and I barely felt like I was making any tactical choices.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I haven't played it enough to judge it either way but if what you say were true, it makes sense that an easier difficulty level would manage to diffuse problems in the design because those only really become readily apparent if you play a game at its hardest. (This is why Dark Souls, God Hand, Bayonetta, etc, are so great: they are designed around the hardest difficulty and all perfectly beatable without ever getting hit - and yet, gloriously difficult, except for the easier Dark Souls.)

Renegen

Arcane
Man, I had just bought this game last weekend during the sale instead of Hotline Miami 2 and yeah I agree, it's quite frustrating now because I know all the mechanics already and it's just a slog through the RNG.

edit: lol I just refunded the game.

Last edited:

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded

As the most contrarian hardcore player of this game, I assure you that is false. I hate the tedium and grind at least as much as you. I did want difficulty, and would have been happy had I gotten it. This is what they think difficulty is, so everyone is unhappy. Except those fake hardcore guys who think they're badass amazing gamers for having a high boredom tolerance. I dunno about the rest of you guys but games should be fun in my mind. That fun can come from different things - for me it's overcoming great adversity but who enjoys tedious slogfests?

But hey, we're talking about a development team that had thousands of pages of solid feedback that would have corrected any and all balance problems this game had by March at the latest, and they ignored all that in favor of doing their own thing at best, and censoring their Early Access testers at worst. So what do you expect?

And ignoring the complete lack of game balance, they've already delayed release 3 times and are allegedly less than 2 months away this time. Now is not the time for major mechanics changes, that should have been done in March.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Couldnt agree more guys, I played an early build about 6 months ago which was simply fun and was really psyched about this game but then they started going to tweaking things... I am begining to think that the true mark of a professional isnt what they put into a game but what they decided to cut out when they see it doesnt work despite personnal preferences or agendas
This game reeks of hardcore wannabe status with X-Com dreams, the corpse system is simply hideous and the current madness mechanics of heart attacks and losing your characters to a couple of bad decisions simply sucked the fun out of this. Right now it reeks of rookie developers doing their best to have the game cator to their views instead of the audience, some people can do it like Kojima or Miyasaki but not these suckers

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
I can't edit my first post anymore apparently so here's my thoughts on this and some more responses.

What does make the game to easy to you?
Don't know... Everything? Too many hours spent in Deepest Dark mod. After this vanilla is a cakewalk. Escape button, for example. First thing i removed, when started to mod game for myself.

Old as hell I know but there's people here that played my mod before I discontinued it because I had enough of Red Hook's nonsense? I did a decent job of making the game Red Hook said they'd make but didn't, I'd have only had 25 hours max otherwise and 20 of that was grinding through trivial content in the hopes it'd get better otherwise and instead had... much more than that. But I was still working within a painfully narrow and confined system. Entire mechanics flat out could not be relevant without full systemic overhauls, which were well beyond the scope of what any mod could manage. I could make the game about more than just damage but only so much more. That and Red Hook decided they'd be an indie Bethesda and release some lazy half assed thing then expect the modders will fix it. They also spoke repeatedly of paid mods and DLC after release before they started becoming a lightning rod even with their main modder telling them how terrible an idea that was, and most of the other modders being barely capable of keeping their mods functional. But then the devs themselves only very recently fixed a Day 1 AI bug in which a single wrong word in a plain text document made an entire enemy attack never get used, and their iconic "Darkest Dungeon"'s signature trait is that you can't retreat. But as Reinhardt points out, that's nothing really. I replaced the retreat button with a single black pixel in March. Boom, no more retreat in Deepest Dark (or in any mod that figured out how I did it). Anywhere. They're bragging about a lesser version of that, combined with a game mechanics set that won't kill anyone with a clue or make them run. I should go make a six million dollar game now, if game defining features are that easy. No seriously. That's not a big deal for a lowly modder so I have no idea why they're so full of themselves over it.

Stuff about noble yet ultimately failed mod attempts at saving this game aside...

The devs just have no idea what they are doing. They say their vision is a hardcore Roguelike about making difficult decisions. Hardcore is used as a synonym for challenge, which it's always lacked and anyone around in Feburary, as well as the smart people finding the game more recently instantly see this and post histories reflect it. There's no such thing as a Roguelike or Roguelite without a fail state or randomness that influences decision making. And what difficult decisions? Mechanically, the best and worst choices are both very obvious. Thematically, the chance of something bad happening is low, and the odds you don't see it coming is lower, and the complete lack of any time pressure or urgency just means you take the very safe and grindy approach and get out of that situation of it somehow does escalate that far. Oh and if you ever want a laugh go propose that this game have a fail state on Steam and watch people, even those fake hardcore guys rally against it because this game is "longer than hardcore Roguelikes like FTL" or something. Without that, you think in terms of resources and grind, and a living character of > level 0 requires more grind than redoing one quest. Unless some asshole modder removes the retreat button, but I'm talking about vanilla. I mention this because they really do still believe they are sticking with that vision even though they quite obviously are moving further and further away from it, and confusing tedium with difficulty along the way which is a fine way of pissing off players of any game time and skill level. Corpses are a fine example of this. Their reasoning for how corpses add difficulty really showcases the extreme dissonance of the developers, the massive logical faults, and the complete lack of understanding of their own game. It's really very simple. If you're just there you don't make the game harder. If you do something, you might make the game harder. Make those corpses explode, reanimate, or become food for a Ghoul/Large Corpse Eater and we'll talk. Make the living enemies stronger/smarter in some way and we'll talk. Take the corpse mechanic exactly as it exists now, but instead of a slain enemy dropping a corpse on death it shapechanges giving you multiform enemies and shapechanging enemies and fights that change based on kill order... They could have made something legitimately interesting and challenging out of the corpse mechanic, but they were never very imaginative.

Every decision they make reflects the fact they're drunken idiots throwing darts around, and none of it considers community feedback from any portion of the community. Hell, the biggest thing that can be considered "community driven change" is when corpses became optional (and heart attacks got thrown in the same boat at some point). That didn't happen because of the community being ticked about it though, it happened because Jim Sterling gave them a nice negative article for it. About the only thing this company does do well is advertising/promoting/marketing, so get an important person giving them negative attention and they suddenly start caring whereas they didn't care at all before no matter how many of their normal users were unhappy or how experienced they were. Because we're not money anymore, but lost future sales are. And that can only be considered community driven change if you consider me personally alerting him of this (and many other more serious problems with the developers like that censorship) as being the work of a community. If it weren't for Jim Sterling they'd still be "ignoring salt", making increasingly erratic changes, and would somehow have an even bigger ego than you see here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SocYES9hj8

But hey it's ok because they can just put the game on sale twice a month, constantly advertise on social media, and get some more chumps off the stagecoach. That's what they think, anyways.

Couldnt agree more guys, I played an early build about 6 months ago which was simply fun and was really psyched about this game but then they started going to tweaking things... I am begining to think that the true mark of a professional isnt what they put into a game but what they decided to cut out when they see it doesnt work despite personnal preferences or agendas
This game reeks of hardcore wannabe status with X-Com dreams, the corpse system is simply hideous and the current madness mechanics of heart attacks and losing your characters to a couple of bad decisions simply sucked the fun out of this. Right now it reeks of rookie developers doing their best to have the game cator to their views instead of the audience, some people can do it like Kojima or Miyasaki but not these suckers

Gregory House rule - You can only be an asshole if you're right. They're not right, but you are. These devs do have past games but none are really anything impressive, and if you look around a little more you find that Tyler Sigman actually has a reputation for lazy, uninspired, uninteresting design. If he could not hide that behind the interesting art of his partner Tyler Sigman, and the compelling, yet out of place narrative of Wayne June (who I feel really bad for, since he's most likely a good guy associated with the wrong people) this game would not look impressive or memorable at all and if it weren't for the massive amount of videos about the game prerelease it wouldn't even be forgettable, it'd just be unknown as even diehard fans of the genre often didn't know this game existed before the video campaign.

Gord

Arcane

I agree, insane difficulty is fine for some, if you can ground it on good system, but DD was all presentation and a lack of a good system foundation, so the only way to work with the difficulty and make new challenges was fudging with RNG.

The presentation and idea hooked me for a good 20 hours, but the barebones system was eventually exposed, and I barely felt like I was making any tactical choices.

Indeed. DD's main issue is lacking content in the various parts. This is, imo, to some good degree also responsible for the wonky difficulty.
  • The combat system is - outside of exploiting ultra-high-damage builds - too dependent on RNG, with too little possibilities for the player to mitigate RNG excesses (e.g. through limited or expensive but effective consumables or skills).
  • The dungeon crawling is as simple as it gets, boring, samey "dungeons" with little possibilities for player choice and nothing to do except walking from room to room and fighting random groups of monsters that pop up every now and then. No unique or special events/discoveries that would help to reduce the routine a bit.
  • The quests are mostly a joke - you do the same thing every time (see also dungeon crawling). The differences between the quests are largely cosmetic. Despite the quest descriptions, doing them has no consequences. A scouting mission doesn't give you more info about the enemy or upcoming missions, a combat mission doesn't reduce the number of enemies, acquiring supplies does not help you building the hamlet, etc. They could as well replace all different missions (save the boss fights, maybe) with one generic "Go visit X rooms in the dungeon"-quest. Their only purpose is to give the player a reason to leave the hamlet.
  • The stress mechanics - supposed to be one of the main selling points of the game initially - likewise stay behind what they should be. For much of the game, stress is little more than a combination an additional health bar that has special "healing" requirements and a completely lolrandom perk and quirk system tacked onto it.
  • Grind, grind, grind. It all comes down to grinding. Certainly because there's nothing else to do right now, as the entire endgame is still missing and thus there's no win-state to the game. But even with that present, I'm afraid grinding 20 or so heroes up to max level over the course of 30-50 hours is exactly what the final game will consist of.
  • Difficulty settings. There are two very big and loud factions on the Steam forums - people that think the game is much too easy and those that think it's much too difficult. I don't agree with either side, but it shows that Red Hook's one-size-fits-all approach to difficulty isn't working. While I think that this won't save the game (due to not offering the needed content and systems influx), difficulty settings would at least help somewhat with solving some of the balancing issues.

Outside of the great art design and interesting basic idea, the game lacks a clear scope and direction. Over the course of the EA, Red Hook has done little to change anything about that. There have been a few big changes (content updates, and gameplay changes like corpses and heart attacks), but in my opinion they have not changed the core gameplay.
I'm not even a very good player of DD. I manage to play it without losing many heroes, but I never cared much about optimized builds or the various strategies or exploits that the hardcore players or "difficulty fetishists" Jeff Vogel is talking about are insisting makes the game such a cakewalk (talk to Celerity above, he can tell you more about that). I just happened to get burned out by the game after 20-25 hours and never bothered much with implementing such strategies and only fire it up after the major updates to have a look at the new content.

Btw., the new abomination class seems somewhat interesting due to offering different mechanics and concept to the other classes. Probably too little, too late, though.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Nothing to add, excellent summary. Im done with this game, got about 40 hours of entertainment out of it so im not complaining.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm concerned with what I'm reading but I will still give it a chance when it finally releases properly. Only played an early version which was fun but seemed to lack a lot of features back then.

Gord

Arcane
Well, despite my rather negative summary of the game, I did get my share of fun out of it before its problems became too apparent to me.
At the price that I paid, I certainly don't feel cheated. It does make me a bit sad that it could have been so much more, had they similar talent in the gameplay department as in their excellent art design and presentation.

Renevent

Cipher

This is a good summary of how I feel. I actually liked the first builds I played but over time they added so much tedium and made it so punishing it sucked all the fun out of playing the game. I suppose there's people who enjoy that kind of thing and I can appreciate that, but they effectively ruined the experience for me. That being said, I haven't played in a few builds so I'll probably try again around release to see if things might have been smoothed out.

Wizfall

Cipher
I don't find the game hard at all (except for some "Boss dungeon fight") and i don't consider myself a Difficulty Fetish.
I don't play W2 or PoE on max difficulties for example.
Damn i usually don't play roguelike and found the few i tried much harder too.

I dislike comments about the game being too random and i'm not sorry to say, people telling that should just take a little time to think about the mechanics.
Same thing with Battle of Wesnoth, i'm able to play in iron man mode (and i rarely play iron man mode) on the highest difficulty with over 75% success (which mean the RNG is largely manageable and people have not excuse anyway as you could play on lesser difficulties if wanted).
Same thing with Blood Bowl, elite coaches achieve a 75% win rate in a competitive environment, knowing a draw lower quite hugely their win% that means they almost never lose. Still some people complain about the game being too random, i mean elite coaches are the proof the game randomness is perfectly manageable, less random than that you should as well play chess.

The first time i played Darkest Dungeon (was just after the corpse mechanics were introduced) i survived plenty of time after only a few early restart.
And after I only had to restart after a new "boss" dungeon.
I dropped the game some months ago after playing it around maybe 20-30h because after great fun i became bored with the limited system, but once you know the mechanics (and it should not long) the game is not hard except boss when you don't know them.
So much for a hardcore game....

My guess is some people are awful at strategic game, unable to spot the "winning" mechanics and then complain about the randomness while skilled player are perfectly able to succeed whatever they got from the "dices" except extreme case of bad luck (which demonstrate the game is not too random).
At least in Blood Bowl the mechanics are very complex and it's not given to everyone to become elite... but in Darkest dungeon mechanics are very easy to master (i got the most important one right from the start looking at the abilities and experiencing the first dungeons).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't find the game hard at all (except for some "Boss dungeon fight") and i don't consider myself a Difficulty Fetish.

I dropped the game some months ago after playing it around maybe 20-30h
.... Have you played recently? No one is complaining about how hard or random it was months ago. Recent patches have made drastic changes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom