Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Gord

Arcane
I think it's a little bit more than that, though yeah, it's not that much.
The RNG can screw you over quickly, but that is also the intention of the devs.

The more pressing issue I see is that in it's current state, the game can be great fun for a while (I have played ~30 hours, although the last 5-10 were mostly checking out the new updates), but is definitely lacking something when it comes to long-term motivation.

While there will be content added through updates (amongst it the entire endgame), I'm not sure anymore if we can expect that much from it.
For the most part, it will probably be more of the same - the existing dungeons themselves are basically only different skins and while the different enemies bring some variety through their resistances and special attacks, they usually don't result in a drastically different approach. I'm afraid the new areas like the cove will be similar in that regard.

What I hope to see, on the other hand, is additional content that expands the current game in such a way that it offers a bit more than simply guiding a selection of psychos through an endless row of random (but very similar) maps.
That content should of course fit the mood of the game, but I'd like to see stuff like e.g. quests that go beyond the simple objectives of the current missions, CYOA-like events in the dungeons and trinkets that are more than just "+5 of ability A, -10% of stat B".

If they keep the current type of gameplay, the game should probably be shortened such that a single run takes you ~5-10 hours instead of ~30 hours or more.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Decided to press on because I was bored and everyone was still saying it was the bestest hard game ever. Had myself a nicely equipped team (lvl 3 abilities,armor and weapons). A plague doctor, Sister, Highwayman and Leper (maybe not the best team but hey they reached level 3 first). On to my first level 3 orange mission since I wanted to be prepared.

First encounter: Fat Armored Skeleton, Armored Spear Skeleton, Arbalest Armor Skeleton

Plague Doctor: Stuns both the spear and Arbalest with gas
Leper does Damage
Highway guy does tracking shot
Sister does judgement to heal some damage
Fat Armored Skeleton Dude attack and crits for 36, instantly puts my full health Highwayman on Death's door

Top kekistan, uninstall for real this time.

I get that the decline era made people hate easy games and I 100% agree but c'mon, this is just rolling dices and saying you win on 6. Even the sonorous prophet gave you one turn before hitting for something like 16. The health on the armor in no way scales for fat creatures that have something like 40 health and deal 18 damage and get crit over your full health (I think the full health Leaper would have survived). I like high lethality when playing something like x-com with a team of a dozen but when you only have 4? (Also if anyone dies its essentially insta-abandon). I am not saying it should made easy, I am just saying it should feel less like overly complicated slots.

Well at least it is very pretty and the narrator is hilariously overwritten and gloomy.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I actually agree with you, I feel like they tuned the game to be ever so slightly too hard.

That was mainly because we all complained that we liked the game, but it got too easy too quickly. Now it just starts out brutal and I lose patience to keep playing. Guess I'm a casual.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
The general consensus seems to be that the game is tuned to be too hard right now. Starting a new estate is much more difficult (without trinkets), higher levels are too harsh. I left the game for now, but have no doubt these things will be fixed/balanced more properly.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Fat Armored Skeleton Dude attack and crits for 36
You're supposed to stun him - that's why he has low stun resist. And generally in harder fights you use heals when there's only one (weak) enemy left, not on the first turn.

RNG happens but after several dozens of L3 runs (tested all classes) I haven't lost anyone so mid-game balance looks OK to me.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You're supposed to stun him - that's why he has low stun resist. And generally in harder fights you use heals when there's only one (weak) enemy left, not on the first turn.

RNG happens but after several dozens of L3 runs (tested all classes) I haven't lost anyone so mid-game balance looks OK to me.

That's what I thought. People were saying it was too hard at release too, because they weren't doing the right things. Some of it was metagame knowledge like the Hag Boss, but generally a well built team could smash anything quite easily. Plus any game with good RNG sometimes smashes you, like every roguelike in existence.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Are there paper dolls in this yet for weapons/armor or do you chars still look the same always?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Last I played ( a couple months ago) it was too easy. Lots of changes since then? Better to err on the side of being too hard than easy.
Some changes, yes, but mostly minor stuff. In the Hound&Corpse patch they nerfed some popular trinkets, changed player crits to 1.5x damage from 2x and dead monster now leaves a corpse which prevent enemy ranks from collapsing too quickly. (For some reason people complain mostly about corpses but I find them only slightly annoying at worst. Crit nerf is much more noticeable.) Difficulty curve is as usual in RPGs: early game is the hardest part because you either don't know what to do and or don't have the right tools yet. Also in the early game you're always broke and have to grind with L0 teams to make some gold which adds to overall frustration.

Are there paper dolls in this yet for weapons/armor or do you chars still look the same always?
They always look the same so no, visually there's no feeling of progression. :)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

I used the judgement or w/e ability that deals damage and can heal a bit, not a full heal.

Also:
Bone Commander
61 Hp

70% stun resistance (even the lower tier captain has 50%).

That is a low resistance? It is far greater than most creatures.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They're just doing that thing where they tell everyone it's so easy and you need to git gud.

Wizfall

Cipher
I did not find the games hard (at all) and had a blast with it.
But kind of burned now, it's an excellent 30/50 hours games.
Once you have figured the game's mechanics, the repetitions of the design make the whole thing boring.
I don't think they could improve much more the formula (it would require new mechanics, new monsters/dungeons while nice won't make the game less repetitive)
Still 30/50 hours of great enjoyment is a lot, highly recommended !

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Okay so I spent some time on their forums. The game has had radical difficulty shifts. Starting from okay to easy and now ultra hard since the last patch. And that is okay because this is what Early Access is for.

I will await until it launches and judge it from that moment. Tabula Rasa.

Okay so I spent some time on their forums. The game has had radical difficulty shifts. Starting from okay to easy and now ultra hard since the last patch. And that is okay because this is what Early Access is for.

I will await until it launches and judge it from that moment. Tabula Rasa.
I picked it up again yesterday - I like the difficulty now. I wouldn't call it "ultra-hard" - just sometimes you're not going to be complete the mission and have to leave. The improvement to the stress and lighting mechanic has gone a long way in giving the game the right level of difficulty.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I did not find the games hard (at all) and had a blast with it.
But kind of burned now, it's an excellent 30/50 hours games.
Once you have figured the game's mechanics, the repetitions of the design make the whole thing boring.
I don't think they could improve much more the formula (it would require new mechanics, new monsters/dungeons while nice won't make the game less repetitive)
Still 30/50 hours of great enjoyment is a lot, highly recommended !
Same here. It's a fun little game but after a while you burn out/it gets too easy. I'm not too concerned about the RNG, but maybe that's because I like roguelikes and am used to sudden deaths.

Gord

Arcane
There are a few enemies that currently have a high screw-over potential. That can make difficulty a bit uneven and I'm sure they will be adjusted a bit in future patches.
The overall difficulty seems ok-ish however, if you consider the intentions of the devs, which is a game where a failed mission or even a TPK are clear possibilities.

The Outsider

Novice
I have been following this game since early 2014 I remember it saying they will probably release it early 2016 and thinking "2 years of waiting! why even announce the game so early!?"
I can't wait to play it.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I have been following this game since early 2014 I remember it saying they will probably release it early 2016 and thinking "2 years of waiting! why even announce the game so early!?"
I can't wait to play it.

You can't kickstart an unannounced game, I'd say. A release two years after the Kickstarter seems to be a reasonable schedule.

The Outsider

Novice
You can't kickstart an unannounced game, I'd say. A release two years after the Kickstarter seems to be a reasonable schedule.
It was some sort of a trend back then, EverQuest Next was also announced Early 2014 (maybe even before) and now they just confirmed it'll come out in 2016.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
One of the games we saw at gamescom entered production in January, will enter Early Access soon, and is likely to be finished by the end of the year. It looks good, too. More gameplay than in DD.

ColCol

Arcane
One of the games we saw at gamescom entered production in January, will enter Early Access soon, and is likely to be finished by the end of the year. It looks good, too. More gameplay than in DD.

Well, what is it called?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I'll link you to the report when it's out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom