Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Gord

Arcane
The initial release date was "about 6 months after EA", which is in autumn, IIRC.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
They're still quite short on content, don't expect it for at least another 6-12 months.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wanted to wait for full release, but got the urge and tried this out last night. Great fun. The basic structure here is awesome.

The only thing that bugs me in the first hour or two is disappearing supplies. I bring a shovel just in case, don't use it, succeed at the mission, and then my team throws the shovel away before coming home? I understand the need for money sinks but this just seems like a fuck you.

Gord

Arcane
I guess it's meant to force the player to make decisions - how many supplies do I want to take with me? If you risk losing money you have more incentive to do something else than just stock up plenty of everything.
However, it's anyway more of an early-game problem. Eventually the cost involved from supplies becomes less of an issue and more importantly you will be forced to consider throwing away supplies during a mission to make up room for the treasures you find.

Lhynn

Arcane
I wanted to wait for full release, but got the urge and tried this out last night. Great fun. The basic structure here is awesome.

The only thing that bugs me in the first hour or two is disappearing supplies. I bring a shovel just in case, don't use it, succeed at the mission, and then my team throws the shovel away before coming home? I understand the need for money sinks but this just seems like a fuck you.
I always thought they just kept the shit you gave them as part of the payment.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always thought they just kept the shit you gave them as part of the payment.
"I didn't need this shovel this time, so I'll put it in my closet and never bring it again, and next time I'll dig through the rubble with my bare hands unless the boss buys me another shovel just in case"? I mean I know it's a harsh world and these poor guys have every reason to resent their employer, but that level of self-destructive spite goes above and beyond. :lol:

Zombra

Patron
So tell me, are there keyboard shortcuts to select targets? I couldn't find them. It's nice to be able to pick an ability by pressing 1-4, but if I have to click on the target with the mouse anyway there's almost no point.

Lhynn

Arcane
"I didn't need this shovel this time, so I'll put it in my closet and never bring it again, and next time I'll dig through the rubble with my bare hands unless the boss buys me another shovel just in case"? I mean I know it's a harsh world and these poor guys have every reason to resent their employer, but that level of self-destructive spite goes above and beyond. :lol:
"Ill sell this nice shovel and buy meself some cheese, who knows if ill be alive or sane in a week, may as well live a decent life"

Zombra

Patron
"Ill sell this nice shovel and buy meself some cheese, who knows if ill be alive or sane in a week, may as well live a decent life"
I like it, we'll go with that. If that's the intention, then it'd be cool to get a little extra sanity gain or something when your guys "cashed out" equipment like this, but eh, it works.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm guessing the player is a man.
Ugh. Regardless of his/her/xir gender somebody should tell the poor creature about the rules of letsplaying.
Rule #1: with a mug like that you must never let your would-be subscribers see your face.
Rule #2: with a voice like that you must stick to silent letsplays (learn video editing to embed text comments).

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Got this as a gift recently. Played it for about 6 hours. Does it get any good?

I mean I like hard games (finished Neo Scavanger a week ago which was a blast and wanted something new) but this seems more like "Roll your dice. Move your Mice" sort of deal. The most important aspect is the team compositions, the actual dungeoneering part being RNG to the max. Which is meh, I am not having any fun going for about 50%-75% of the dungeon then retreating and essentially cutting even in terms of gold loss. Someone told me that it gets really really really good once you have trinkets and a more evolved town but I don't feel like playing for 20 hours to get to the good bits.

So is there any meaningful decision in this game beyond learning the optimum party compositions and maybe a town build order? I just killed the first necromancer boss and it felt more like a grind (or getting the lucky rng to reach him) rather than learning the systems of this game.

Gondolin

Arcane
Ugh. Regardless of his/her/xir gender somebody should tell the poor creature about the rules of letsplaying.
Rule #1: with a mug like that you must never let your would-be subscribers see your face.
Rule #2: with a voice like that you must stick to silent letsplays (learn video editing to embed text comments).

Letsplayers who put their faces in the videos are horrible creatures. I always avoid them.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The main weakness of the game is the dungeons. I had a lot of fun for a few days, until I realized that's all there's to it. Enemies get stronger with time, but apart from the random order of corridors, the dungeons are all the same.

Still, combat is great fun so it is a perfect game for in between. The kind of game you want to play on a tablet, while in an airplane or train.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I like it, we'll go with that. If that's the intention, then it'd be cool to get a little extra sanity gain or something when your guys "cashed out" equipment like this, but eh, it works.
That's actually not a bad idea. But I think red hook's intention was to always tempt the player to go in under-equipped. Hence why you lose gear that was brought along "just in case". Personally I'd prefer if unspent gear persisted, but inventory size was reduced a little. It would seem less silly, and still punish you for covering every eventuality by making you leave loot behind. As it stands, you don't really being anything but food, torch and shovel.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's actually not a bad idea. But I think red hook's intention was to always tempt the player to go in under-equipped. Hence why you lose gear that was brought along "just in case". Personally I'd prefer if unspent gear persisted, but inventory size was reduced a little. It would seem less silly, and still punish you for covering every eventuality by making you leave loot behind. As it stands, you don't really being anything but food, torch and shovel.

One more time perhaps?

:troll:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
If you didn't have fun 6 hours in you won't have fun later; drop it.

Basically this.

Also it is sound advice for most if not all games.

Now DD has some roster management and town development decision making but ultimately it boils down to trying to beat the rng with interesting (not necessarily the "optimal" ) party compositions.

Agreed though that the game could use some more variety and better endgame (which will be expanded with two new areas at release).

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Basically this.

Also it is sound advice for most if not all games.

Now DD has some roster management and town development decision making but ultimately it boils down to trying to beat the rng with interesting (not necessarily the "optimal" ) party compositions.

Agreed though that the game could use some more variety and better endgame (which will be expanded with two new areas at release).

I will keep the game and play it after release in the hopes that they add some form of counterplay. Hard games aren't fun just because they are hard. Hard games are fun when they ask something you. Though it seems much more "meaty" DD is actually very simplistic overall. Sure it is hidden under many systems but overall the gameplay loop of figuring out the best compositions then praying to RNGesus becomes very clear early on and actually asks very little of you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom