Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Looks like nerfed stunlock, helion while buffing plague doctor, robber and enemies. Looks like a good patch to me.

Renegen

Arcane
Truly deviant art.

darkest_ponies_by_metal_kitty-d8hi67y.png
I can't recognize a single class.

da_rays

Augur
This is the only appropriate answer I can think of

qPFz6Yy.jpg

This said , stunlock ''cheesy'' got indeed nerf . Doctor got some real love , now a meh healer! he/she/it now is a go for almost all expedition. Grave robber got a nice tweak...more SPD is always good . Can't stop but think she could have use a little something more.

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The hell. Apparently Martyr's seal got nerfed beyond usefulness. Only has 10%deathblow resist now (still shows 15% in item description) and can't be stacked with another one, anymore, making it basically useless now unless you are a gambler. Maybe it can be combined with another deathblow resist item.
Seems that even with Unyielding quirk (10%deathblow resist) you can now only get to max 87% instead of 107% ( :smug: ) as it used to be.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
They nerfed the hellion and turned her from one of my faves to totally worthless; instead of her role as múltiple damage dealer she is now less useful than the plague doctor minus dps effects since her múltiple hit effects are now useless and her basic melee attack is average and best
:rage:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Ok, this thread got me curious, bought it. I like the art style, and also that this game tries to do something a little bit different from what is usual today and is apparently confident about it. At least i havent seen much sidescrolling dungeon crawlers lately (of course this may have valid business reasons...). If i were to believe the posts in this thread (which i do) a lot of balancing needs to be done. The first few hours seem to have the right difficulty though, apart from the fact that it seems impossible to actually Game Over, since recruiting/recovering/removing mechanisms. Will play a little bit more, then wait for all those patches and EA to end.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Been trying out the combat on the last patch and they definetly nerfed all múltiple hit damage like the jester sickle slice, the highwayman Guns and the hellion. There still seems to be no penaltis for the stunluck vs stress idea so that is still a viable strategy and they also nerfed the jester's stress relief abilities to so they have a random chance to work at all
Edit: they added the combat stress idea after all; I got it after round 15 :P

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Also, the quirks are way too random; you should get quirks based on location so if you are in the underground welds you develop quirks based on that location on its monsters.

Gord

Arcane
Been trying out the combat on the last patch and they definetly nerfed all múltiple hit damage like the jester sickle slice, the highwayman Guns and the hellion. There still seems to be no penaltis for the stunluck vs stress idea so that is still a viable strategy and they also nerfed the jester's stress relief abilities to so they have a random chance to work at all
Edit: they added the combat stress idea after all; I got it after round 15 :P

AFAIK the only one that got nerfed is Breakthrough, the others still look the same to me. At least Hew and Grapeshot do.

The stunlock-for-destress/heal got changed insofar as they have the party take stress from prolonged fights, but allegedly only when you excessively use stun-abilities. That's what they say at least, I've not yet been into such a situation. Additionally there's also a small buff now that gets added to stunned enemies and heroes that is supposed to make stun-locking more difficult.

Still a long way to go, but it's nice that they started experimenting a bit now.

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
They nerfed the hellion and turned her from one of my faves to totally worthless; instead of her role as múltiple damage dealer she is now less useful than the plague doctor minus dps effects since her múltiple hit effects are now useless and her basic melee attack is average and best
:rage:
I don't find multiple attacks that useful except for supertrash like maggots or as finishers, anyway.
I usually attack third row with Hellion's blood attack or use the regular attack for front row. That way you can kill off one after another more quickly.
Looking at it, never tried Iron Swan, seems useful.

I'm finished with the game, though. All that is left is getting every kind of char to lvl6 now.

Last edited:

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Helion is still crazy powerful, basically no functional difference. I gave the so called ramped up lvl 5 mobs another go, and it's still too damn easy.

Had my graverobber up to 40% crit hitting for 43 each lunge crit. Let's not even mention highwayman and his ridiculous camping buffs with grapeshots.

I know I shouldn't get early access because I burn out on it too quickly. I'll wait for the next balance patches and see where it takes us.

Heresiarch

Prophet
This is the first early access game I've bought, ever. And it's p.good.

I can imagine that some people are complaining that there is a lack of variety. Comparing to FTL isn't exactly fair though as FTL lasts one hour per session at most. I still feel it to be very entertaining even if just for grinding.

The game needs a lot of tweaking here and there (one AOE crit = 4X amounts of stress with the whole party is ridiculous, etc.) but for an AE game it's very good so far.

Aside from gameplay which can be fixed, what impressed me most is the atmosphere - the music, the voice acting (I don't know if he's a professional one but he voiced much better than the a lot of the big names out there), the art, and so on.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The stress penalty seems to kick in after round 10, and so far it looks that it is not stun bound but affected by a random chance every round after the 10; I even got hit on it 2 times in a Row which turned my whole party bonkers
Yeah the game is damn good, slick and fun

granit

Scholar
This is the first early access game I've bought, ever. And it's p.good.

I can imagine that some people are complaining that there is a lack of variety. Comparing to FTL isn't exactly fair though as FTL lasts one hour per session at most. I still feel it to be very entertaining even if just for grinding.

The game needs a lot of tweaking here and there (one AOE crit = 4X amounts of stress with the whole party is ridiculous, etc.) but for an AE game it's very good so far.

Aside from gameplay which can be fixed, what impressed me most is the atmosphere - the music, the voice acting (I don't know if he's a professional one but he voiced much better than the a lot of the big names out there), the art, and so on.

He be Wayne June, professional indeed and reader of many Lovecraft works. This dang ol narration is pretty dang great

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
We need a codexian LP for this game, with forum members as the characters. I would love to get slaughtered (or maybe contract paranoia or the runs) for the glory of Codexia (and loot).

Who is up for it, bros (& gals)?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom