Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron

You can and should stack ACC buffs while in camp, not during battle, but if you do the one i like most is Emboldening Vapours of the PD, with that on my BH (+40% DMG) and a crit I ended the hag in two rounds (1st Hag run)
Also the Leper has a nice AoE wich should IMHO be buffed to lose less DMG than the others, that would make him too awesome maybe

The Hellion has Forward 1 - Back 0.

That's what I said...

Angthoron

Arcane

You can and should stack ACC buffs while in camp, not during battle, but if you do the one i like most is Emboldening Vapours of the PD, with that on my BH (+40% DMG) and a crit I ended the hag in two rounds (1st Hag run)
Also the Leper has a nice AoE wich should IMHO be buffed to lose less DMG than the others, that would make him too awesome maybe
Ah, yeah, prebuffs work, true. Not in Shorts though, so that's another meh point for them

The Hellion has Forward 1 - Back 0.

That's what I said...
Hang on, Hellion has what?

Renegen

Arcane
Yeah, that's it. It kinda mimics her berserking rage to always be in the front.

Gozma

Arcane
Yahtzee made a game like this that is just about as engrossing, but not an RPG - more like a Lovecraftian survival horror rogue-like where you manage ammo and sanity while fighting overwhelming odds. Why do you guys not check that one out? It's still in a very primitive state but he might let it enter Early Access if he ever gets off his lazy butt and works on it more. It's called The Consuming Shadow and I honestly spent more time playing that game's two year old beta than this game, even though I don't regret this purchase. Here, if you don't know about it: http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/conshadow/

Man that guy must feel retarded for not doing a kickstarter for some shit at the peak that would have gotten 5 million dollars

Gozma

Arcane
The collect bounty hit itself does much more damage on a marked target than it would normally.

Gord

Arcane
You can also use the Occultist to mark a target without spending one move of the BH.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think that the penaltis for insanity should be more hardcore, like having a character just flee from combat, turn against your party, steal half your gold, etc. I remember one party memeber that went insane and all his crazy comments would rise the tensión in the other members.
Balancíng up the penaltis would be great but also making some sort of resistance curve; if you have faced and killed x number of vomiting pigmen you could gradualy become harder to unnerve by them. Having the traits beign a little more specific to each character would be good too for balance and long term replays, were a combinación of traits could make your char go bonkers faster but also have a liklier chance of gaining heroic traits etc

Gord

Arcane
Ya, I do that but my Bounty Hunter just does normal damage, no matter if he or occultist marked the target. He gets a buff after he attacked which immediately vanishes.

Hm, no idea. Will try to pay attention next time. Maybe a bug.

Gozma

Arcane
I remember one party memeber that went insane and all his crazy comments would rise the tensión in the other members.

That's the only thing I've ever noticed happening with afflictions (I think there are debuffs too?). I never thought to try seeing how things would work out if I just let everyone get afflicted, but I think each party member commenting constantly would slow the game down too much even if it's technically an effective strategy - kinda like hardcore stalling.

Gord

Arcane
Depending on the affliction they skip turns, refuse healing and one of mine even committed suicide (was already at deaths door or low on health, though).
Generally it lowers your effectiveness and increases stress accumulation and chances of losing a char.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Cool, I have never seen the healing refusal or the suicide
Btw sorry about the spelling errors guys but my phone keeps trying to use spanish and switches things all the time

Gord

Arcane
Thor Kaufman, just found this on the Steam forums:

Reproducable bug: Skills: finish him; collect bounty;

IF you mark a target with an other character while you have the skills with bonus damage selected, the bonus damage is not active.

WORKAROUND:

Select an other skill, then reselect the skill you want to use with the bonus damage. Attack the target and it works.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Btw sorry about the spelling errors guys but my phone keeps trying to use spanish and switches things all the time
Also had my crusader refuse a heal ("I'm no worthy..."), but it was party heal so how the fuck he avoided it? Dodge roll? Negative response during hand-shaking?

Snozgobler

Educated
Also had my crusader refuse a heal ("I'm no worthy..."), but it was party heal so how the fuck he avoided it? Dodge roll? Negative response during hand-shaking?
I'm assuming that the AoE healing that comes from vestals is a blessing of sorts; your crusader refused the blessing because their flaws made them feel they had strayed too far from the path of the righteous to be touched by the light of God.

The whole focus of the game is on sanity, so it makes sense that the effectiveness of a heal is based on the mental quirks of the individual. I'm not sure if there is a word for it, but something like a negative placebo effect (not nocebo, I mean a word for a medicine having no effect because the patient believes it won't work) seems entirely plausible in the setting.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Seems to me that healing spells should also include some sanity healing; maybe not a fixed rate or number but a chance where a maximum roll not only heals your body but your mind, sort of the way a críticas blow or a kill heal your stress too

Gozma

Arcane
It's hard to think about individual balance things because I feel like they need to do a major combat overhaul. Like, almost every buff is worthless. They have buffs that do like <50% extra damage, and last 2 turns after you use it. You know what does more damage than that buff and two attacks? Three attacks. Elementary fuckups like that, is that evidence they don't know what they're doing or evidence that they haven't really started on combat and major changes are still gonna happen?

Angthoron

Arcane
It's hard to think about individual balance things because I feel like they need to do a major combat overhaul. Like, almost every buff is worthless. They have buffs that do like <50% extra damage, and last 2 turns after you use it. You know what does more damage than that buff and two attacks? Three attacks. Elementary fuckups like that, is that evidence they don't know what they're doing or evidence that they haven't really started on combat and major changes are still gonna happen?
I pretty much agree with this, yeah. Combat buffs essentially only make sense on 2 characters - backrow Jester and Plague Doctor on a boss fight, because PD's damage output is lower than, say, buffing a Hellion or a Bounty Hunter with Vapors. Otherwise, it's more down to selecting what skill you'll use to kill stuff.

Also worth noting is that enemy parties don't really buff or heal.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From what I read, the developer has a background in board games, so his approach makes some sense. But I keep looking at the dungeon exploration, and I think it looks like the mini-map of a proper dungeon layout. The art direction is charming. The stress management mechanic is fun. But I would rather have seen this play like a straight-forward crawler.
Hey, Wizardry 8 may be my favorite party RPG of all time, but not every game needs that layout. The "boardgamey" feel to DD and seeing the whole party in formation look really cool. Plus, formation is such a huge deal in this game, it would make no sense to not display the party visually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom