Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls Remastered Announced, Releases May 25th

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Why are Souls trailers so fucking pretentious? Just show some updated graphics or whatever, not 1 minute of a bonfire.

If they're going to just show a bonfire for a minute, at least have this as the background sound:

Murk

Arcane
Jesus, its like they're trying to re-enact the in game theme of constant resurrection. There's probably some poetic theme about hollowing if you do it too many times.

I'm all souls'd out. I couldn't even bother to play the DS3 DLCs. Oh well.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
who gives a shit about dark souls now that NIOH is on PC?
Anyone who considers that damage bloat + hp bloat + ganks + cancerous MMO loot and progression system = shit. Nioh replaces "tough but fair" with "hahaha, fuck you! XD". Not to mention the absolute cringe of a story, mediocre level design and the criminal reuse of bosses.

I dropped nioh during the post game/dlc after realizing every single regular enemy was like stumbling onto Havel the Rock right after getting the key. And, no, I wasn't too underleveled. Enemy taking 15 hits to go down while being able to kill me with 2 hits is "working as intended".

Nioh was good, but the loot system was buttfucked to oblivion and perhaps beyond. There is no reason for an MMO loot system in a single player game. None.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Anyone who considers that damage bloat + hp bloat + ganks + cancerous MMO loot and progression system = shit. Nioh replaces "tough but fair" with "hahaha, fuck you! XD". Not to mention the absolute cringe of a story, mediocre level design and the criminal reuse of bosses.

I dropped nioh during the post game/dlc after realizing every single regular enemy was like stumbling onto Havel the Rock right after getting the key. And, no, I wasn't too underleveled. Enemy taking 15 hits to go down while being able to kill me with 2 hits is "working as intended".

Nioh was good, but the loot system was buttfucked to oblivion and perhaps beyond. There is no reason for an MMO loot system in a single player game. None.
It's not just the horrible loot system. The fucking ganks. DS2 was branded the worst of the series because of some questionable enemy placement (mostly fixed in SOFTS) but somehow Nioh gets a pass. The Surge got shat on because of the damage bloat on common enemies, but Nioh gets a pass on BOTH damage and hp bloat. Am I the only one who sees how grossly overrated this game actually is?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's not just the horrible loot system. The fucking ganks. DS2 was branded the worst of the series because of some questionable enemy placement (mostly fixed in SOFTS) but somehow Nioh gets a pass. The Surge got shat on because of the damage bloat on common enemies, but Nioh gets a pass on BOTH damage and hp bloat. Am I the only one who sees how grossly overrated this game actually is?

There are a few things Nioh totally nailed - the excellent music, the setting (historically based, stylish anime is prolly the only anime I can stomach), the complex, skill-based combat mechanics, the relatively good weapon balance (apparently only tongas are utter shit).

On the whole tho it's overrated, I agree. I was on the fence for a long time whether or not to buy it but after watching many hours of YT and streams, nah. I don't like the aesthetics - everything is so overblown, loot showers, enemies exploding in a glittering splashes of colours...not for me. I've fallen in love of Dark Souls because of it's restraint and aesthetic low-key elegance and this is the polar opposite.

And ultimately while I love the complex structure of the combat I just hate how fast it is, how HP spongey even basic bitch mobs are and how long it takes to break their goddamn guard. One of the most brilliant design decisions of Dark Souls is that you can cut basic hollows in pieces in a second but you can be comboed very quickly too if you don't stay on your toes. In a game where constant respawning and backtracking is the bread and butter of the gameplay basic mobs taking dozens of seconds to kill make for a terrible drag. And yeah, that's where The Surge fucked up too (doubly weird coz in Lords of the Fallen the same devs didn't make this mistake).

And lastly, yeah, the loot system is the main reason I stayed away from the game in the end. I think I'd eventually come to like the fast, flashy combat but the constant grind for loot would spoil all fun for me. It's not an objective fault, it's a very well-done Diablo-style loot...it's just that Diablo-style loot is not my thing.

All in all the game is overrated and it's not really my thing but it's objectively a quality product.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
there are no ganks.. and if there are then they are in dark souls too.. just be careful.. and yes bosses require actual skill to defeat and you need to time your rolls properly.. the horror.. the enemies are only "hp bloated" if you are not upgrading your weapons at the blacksmith..

as you dark souls fans would say you just need to 'git gud'

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

Well, I think it was overrated a little bit, but not grossly so. I liked it. Having said that, I've played every Dark Souls game for hundreds of hours. I played Nioh once, and after trying to start it a second time, couldn't force myself. So, I'm glad I played it but it doesn't have anything close to the staying power of a From Software game, for all of the obvious reasons.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, my point exactly. Nioh is worth a playthrough because the combat mechanics are really good but its crappier elements ruin its replay value. Last weekend I finished my latest Ds1 run and I sure as hell don't see myself reinstalling Nioh in 2023 for another run.

Back OT, I really wish they would fix the god awful lock on distance. You can't lock unless you're almost at melee range and that's really dumb. DS1 could use a lot of QoL improvements, but I'm betting they will just sell us Durante's work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom