Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls Migrates from GFWL to Steamworks

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Dark Souls; From Software

In a move that should have happened sooner, From Software's Dark Souls no longer uses the dreaded GFWL, now relying on Steamworks instead:

Dear Dark Souls fans,

You can now update your Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition for PC game to replace the Games for Windows Live functionality with Steamworks functionality. The update is available from today – December 15th and will let you keep both your Save Data and Achievements.

Please read below or visit http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/626329187083042093/ to read the update process.

If you played or are currently playing Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition, you will be able to update and keep your Save Data and Achievements. The Save Data and Achievements transfer service is being provided from December 15th to February 16th. From February 16th, the new version using Steamworks functionalities will become the default version of the game.​

The post also contains detailed instructions on how to proceed in order to get your copy of the game to use Steamworks.

The update breaks DSFix's framerate unlocking feature, though, so be warned. Here's what Durante has to say about it:

The Dark Souls Steamworks migration update is now live. As I expected, most DSfix functionality I implemented (which is based on API call interception) remains operational, but the framerate unlocking (based on binary hooks) does not work with the new version. This part was implemented by Nwks, so we should hope that he is still around and interested in updating it for the latest version. If not, I can try, but it lies outside my expertise and could potentially take a lot of time (which I’d rather spend on other projects). Of course, there’s also the chance for anyone else to step in, as all the code is available on github.

For now, you can use DSfix with the new version as long as you disable the framerate unlocking feature in the .ini file.​

And finally, since From Software couldn't avoid messing this up somehow, apparently the Steamworks multiplayer is region-locked. Have fun.

UPDATE: Durante has updated DSFix already, so you can now play in 60 FPS: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=652

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Region-locking is an improvement. No huehue's invading muh game.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wanted to migrate my GFWL profile, but it seems I never connected my Dark Souls copy to it. Must have played on some made-up offline profile.
Meh, I planned on starting over anyway, so it is no big deal (I barely defeated the second boss). Back to improving my controller skills...

Outmind

Augur
I just wish they find a workaround for the mouse fix soon. With it playing on the keyboard + mouse was acceptable. I don't have and don't wish to buy a gamepad, so here's hoping some like minded individual gets to work on it.

LivingOne

Savant
People are contacting Namco about the region lock, meanwhile people who want some multiplayer are using this solution, if anyone is intrested:

http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/2pg19r/change_your_download_region_to_finland/

it was suggested on GAF. and believe it or not, im constantly getting invaded on the forest again. bloodstains are back, so are the faint phantoms. conection is fast, no failed to create session what so ever In Steam, Go to Settings -> Downloads, change the Download Region dropdown

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom