Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls III Released

SymbolicFrank

Magister
I played DS 1 most of the way through. It was new, interesting and really well done.

But I'm not enough of a masochist to continue. If I feel the urge, I'll watch a let's play.

Severian Silk

If the idea of gamepads really upsets you, DS1 can be made quite playable with KBM using the right mods. If you can play Gothic, you should have no problem with Dark Souls. And if you like Gothic, you should definitely give the games a solid try.
Makes me wonder why Gothic was never released for consoles.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A subforum is just a tool. It's not a super special awesome prize for the best game companies. You can even look at it as containment. But some of you people will get angry over anything. But maybe you're just joking around, that's always hard to tell here.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLLOLLOLOL WE HAVE PCTARDS PLATYTING THE GAME WITH KB AND MOUSE DONT BE SUPRISED SOME ARE TO DUMM TO RECOGNIZE GOOD GAMNES

LOOLOLOL I CAN SEE A BUNCH OF PCTARDS PLAYING SUPER MARIO BROS WITH A MOUSE AND GETTING ALL MAD AT CONSOLES CAUSE THEY ARE TO POPAMOLE TO PLAY A GAME WITHOUT ONSCREEN INSTRUCTIONS

Xenich

Cipher
I never understood the fascination of the game. The bulk of the difficulty is the learning curve of the game pads awkwardness. Once you master that, the game is just basic pattern play like any arcade game. I remember the designer admitting this when asked why they didn't make a true PC version with proper mouse/keyboard support, he said that if they did that it would drastically reduce the difficulty in the game.

Anyway, I played it with both a pad and a mouse. Mouse I actually found easier after some major tuning of my driver software and the ini, then again... that is because I don't play with a pad much other than the occasional emulator game. I find some of the ways people go about holding the controller to be odd (ie the claw) and how people buy 3rd market pads to make the pad more practical (ie the Scuff). You would think after all these years they could come up with a better design for pads to make them much more functional rather than forcing all console games to be designed to their limitations (ie iron sights, cover positions, etc...).

Perkel

Arcane
I never understood the fascination of the game. The bulk of the difficulty is the learning curve of the game pads awkwardness. Once you master that, the game is just basic pattern play like any arcade game. I remember the designer admitting this when asked why they didn't make a true PC version with proper mouse/keyboard support, he said that if they did that it would drastically reduce the difficulty in the game.

That doesn't make any sense. DS is one of the games where M+K is actually worse to play than pad. Only way to make good controls for it would be to tie character view with camera view which means basically that all 360 degree attacks you can make goes out of window or you end up with Rune ankward combat system

Xenich

Cipher

That doesn't make any sense. DS is one of the games where M+K is actually worse to play than pad. Only way to make good controls for it would be to tie character view with camera view which means basically that all 360 degree attacks you can make goes out of window or you end up with Rune ankward combat system

I misspoke about the developer claiming it would have made the game too easy. Not sure where I read that, I could have sworn I saw something to that effect, so that I will retract.

As I said, I found the mouse easier and the reason I said this was likely true was what I stated here: "then again... that is because I don't play with a pad much other than the occasional emulator game."

The camera after you do all the tweaks with the DS/mousfix and then adjusting the DPI on your mouse as well as various button changes results in a very functional setup (I actually find it easier). The camera is controlled by your mouse free movement, so it isn't locked to the character and all the other buttons are very easily mapped to comfortable locations to minimize reach and market on accessibility. You do lose the benefit of analog 360 degree control with the WASD setup, but I don't see it as a loss in play and I find that the game is easier in many ways than it was for me with the controller. Like I said, that may just be the fact that I don't use a controller much so any lacking in the mouse/kb design I don't notice compared to the controller.

I haven't messed with it yet, but it may be possible to even macro certain key combination commands to a single key press further simplifying the control steup (ie kick, jumping attack, etc...).It isn't like a keyboard or multi-button mouse is lacking on additional keys.

Anyway, other than the obvious limits as you mention (as well as the obvious port limitations of the first game), I think it may be possible to make a mouse/kb drastically easier to use over a gamepad ( though I guess that depends on if the person is PC player or console one). As I said, for me having pretty much played mouse/keyboard only for decades, it seems more natural even with the limitations.

Electryon

Savant

Anyway, I played it with both a pad and a mouse. Mouse I actually found easier after some major tuning of my driver software and the ini, then again... that is because I don't play with a pad much other than the occasional emulator game. I find some of the ways people go about holding the controller to be odd (ie the claw) and how people buy 3rd market pads to make the pad more practical (ie the Scuff). You would think after all these years they could come up with a better design for pads to make them much more functional rather than forcing all console games to be designed to their limitations (ie iron sights, cover positions, etc...).

The focus on the game's "difficulty" is one thing many fans of the series despise. I am not "good" at video games that require insanely tight reflexes. Dark Souls is hard, it is challenging. What it isn't (90% of the time anyway) is unfair. The focus of most videos and comments about things always focuses on melee combat, and it is true that getting REALLY good at dodging and anticipating the moves of the enemies and bosses is incredibly difficult to master. But you are given tools to succeed even if you AREN'T a pro at those things. Standard RPG-tropes that anyone here can appreciate. There are bows, spells, buffs, resistances, NPC summons, and, of course, actual player summons to help you. Though over-leveling will not in the end save you against a tough opponent, it will make things alot easier if you are having trouble.

Finally, it is the game's lore and atmosphere that transfix as many as the brutal difficulty. It is in many ways unknowable, and open to multiple interpretations even in your own mind at any given moment. The smallest details like the art assets used in an area, the enemy placement, and of course, the item descriptions are required to piece together the puzzle, and even then, you are left partially in the dark. It's really more akin to Greek myths or the stories of an ancient religion than any standard RPG-fare. The world and it's inhabitants feel statuesque and monolithic, primordial, eternal and fleeting in equal measure. There are enemies that are just awesome, there are some enemies (and even more so in Bloodborne) that are genuinely disturbing and unnerving to look at. The boss fights are designed so they can instill actual anxiety in the player, and beating them solo is a rush like very few others in gaming.

Xenich

Cipher

The focus on the game's "difficulty" is one thing many fans of the series despise. I am not "good" at video games that require insanely tight reflexes. Dark Souls is hard, it is challenging. What it isn't (90% of the time anyway) is unfair. The focus of most videos and comments about things always focuses on melee combat, and it is true that getting REALLY good at dodging and anticipating the moves of the enemies and bosses is incredibly difficult to master. But you are given tools to succeed even if you AREN'T a pro at those things. Standard RPG-tropes that anyone here can appreciate. There are bows, spells, buffs, resistances, NPC summons, and, of course, actual player summons to help you. Though over-leveling will not in the end save you against a tough opponent, it will make things alot easier if you are having trouble.

I never thought the game unfair, I guess I just never understood the fascination in terms of the game being "difficult". A large percentage of the games skill comes from mastering your input device (which I think is the most challenging part). Once that is accomplished, simple pattern recognition is applied and in that way it reminds me of the same learning and adaption of the arcade games of old.

Finally, it is the game's lore and atmosphere that transfix as many as the brutal difficulty. It is in many ways unknowable, and open to multiple interpretations even in your own mind at any given moment. The smallest details like the art assets used in an area, the enemy placement, and of course, the item descriptions are required to piece together the puzzle, and even then, you are left partially in the dark. It's really more akin to Greek myths or the stories of an ancient religion than any standard RPG-fare. The world and it's inhabitants feel statuesque and monolithic, primordial, eternal and fleeting in equal measure. There are enemies that are just awesome, there are some enemies (and even more so in Bloodborne) that are genuinely disturbing and unnerving to look at. The boss fights are designed so they can instill actual anxiety in the player, and beating them solo is a rush like very few others in gaming.

This I can understand, the mood the game provides is entertaining, though the RPG aspects are more for show than need as defeating the game doesn't really require character progression as most traditional RPGs do. None the less, it is a nice edition to give a hack and slash game a bit more to it.

sullynathan

Arcane
If the idea of gamepads really upsets you, DS1 can be made quite playable with KBM using the right mods. If you can play Gothic, you should have no problem with Dark Souls. And if you like Gothic, you should definitely give the games a solid try.
Dark Souls is gothic with good combat and level design.

AMG

Arbiter
I don't understand why the "you need pad for Dark Souls" meme is still around. Sure, the first one was fucked (I still got it to playability levels somehow with a mod), but 2 and 3 work almost flawlessly with kb+m out of the box and while I don't own a pad, I really can't see how it could be better. Just like every game ever, rotating camera alone is infinitely better with a mouse.

It's esentially the same control scheme as Witcher 2/3 and people go all PC masterrace on those games, soooo idk.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
WTF why are we covering this jRPG weeb trash on the front page? Go back to Japan you stupid dweebs, RPG Codex is only for real, true RPGs, like Gothic.

Fucking decline. When I signed up you'd be laughed out for liking a game with action elements from Japan. This really is massive decline.

Let's not even mention that playing games with a controller is impossible because of our big high T meat mallet hands that can not wiggle sticks or hit buttons, which is exclusively the domain of children and jet pilots.

osdkofo thijs is hoew iwj type becauase myn fionjgern s are dpo hbig anjd inj canjt ujse n controeokelr

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Ok, so last night lost my save file after a not infrequent CTD occurred. Level 71, just beat the pontiff guy. There is no other save, one save file (for all characters), no cloud uploading.
So yeah, just be aware that if the file is corrupted which apparently has been happening for ps4 users too it's gg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom