Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls II Available for Pre-Purchase on Steam

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

The rest of proles will get the cheap looking PVC statuette that depicts the protagonist in a pose like when someone just shoved a stick up his/her butt hole.
Life is just not fair...

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I never understood collecting useless clutter together with games, but damn, that is some nice box...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I never understood collecting useless clutter together with games
putting nice looking dolls action figures on your game shelf or holding on to the stuff until it doubles or triples in value and selling it to some sheep.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Must... resist... urge... to... preorder...

:negative:

I am weak.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Luckily I wasn't able to finish the first game just yet, so I am completely hype-proof with this. Yay for lack of free time.

Somebody kill me.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
nghhh. I didn't really like the first one, but I didn't really hate it. I'll wait until I hear if the multiplayer functionality's much improved, I guess. it was great when it worked and, on PC, didn't work most of the time, for me.

I didn't like the first one, was boring, i hope this one is better.

Still haven't tried DS. I don't know why.

Derp Souls 2: Derper Souls.

git gud causls

£40? I preordered it boxed on Amazon for £30!

I'm a bit annoyed I won't get the artbook though. For around the same price, my DS box had artbook, poster and postcards in it. Guess I'll not remove it from inventory.

Those extra items can burn in digital hell.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I never got around to trying the first one either, but may do so after this is released. Nothing drives a nosedive in price like a delegation to redundancy via the release of a sequel.

I never understood collecting useless clutter together with games
putting nice looking dolls action figures on your game shelf or holding on to the stuff until it doubles or triples in value and selling it to some sheep.
Does that ever actually happen? I know some of the old feelies can be worth a bit if you find the right buyer, but those were coming out in lower production runs to a market that was less inclined to keep them as collectibles. They're more rarely found in good condition. Have any of these new wave "collector's editions" ever accumulated value?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Does that ever actually happen? I know some of the old feelies can be worth a bit if you find the right buyer, but those were coming out in lower production runs to a market that was less inclined to keep them as collectibles. They're more rarely found in good condition. Have any of these new wave "collector's editions" ever accumulated value?
doubling or tripling? not really, but if the game is popular you can resell an unopened ce on amazon marketplace for 20 to 50% more. more games should do it like dxhr did and announce how many they are making and number every box, though :love:

Xenich

Cipher
I picked this up a while ago because I thought the fights being technical would be fun, but... the mouse/keyboard control was so terrible that it was counter productive.

Did they ever happen to fix (be it officially or through a mod) the mouse/keyboard control that was of any value? Or... is it still a waste of time?

LivingOne

Savant
I picked this up a while ago because I thought the fights being technical would be fun, but... the mouse/keyboard control was so terrible that it was counter productive.

Did they ever happen to fix (be it officially or through a mod) the mouse/keyboard control that was of any value? Or... is it still a waste of time?
I don't have the links right now but what you are looking for are the DSFix and maybe the MouseFix too.Just check the stickies on the game's Steam forums.

Xenich

Cipher

I don't have the links right now but what you are looking for are the DSFix and maybe the MouseFix too.Just check the stickies on the game's Steam forums.

Oh, I knew about the DSfix, I tried it a long time ago, but it was still an awkward experience with the mouse/keyboard. I was wondering if it had improved since then. Guess I will just have to give it another try. Thanks!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I preordered it on Green Man Gaming because they have $10 off (or cash back, or whatever). I haven't preordered a game in years. I feel like I'm relapsing, somehow.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I played the first for about a dozen or so hours. Just didn't get into it. Combat is fun but the world was too 'dead' for me to find interesting. I get that's what they're going for but grinding the same crap again and again for weapon upgrades felt tedious.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Combat is fun but the world was too 'dead' for me to find interesting. I get that's what they're going for but grinding the same crap again and again for weapon upgrades felt tedious.

I don't see what the world design has to do with grinding. There is zero need for grinding materials, by the way, unless you're aiming to max out your weapons, of course.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if those pre-order weapons will turn out to be jinxed or cursed or something appropriately trollish.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Combat is fun but the world was too 'dead' for me to find interesting. I get that's what they're going for but grinding the same crap again and again for weapon upgrades felt tedious.

I don't see what the world design has to do with grinding. There is zero need for grinding materials, by the way, unless you're aiming to max out your weapons, of course.

The connection is that there's basically nothing to do BUT that. There are a few scattered npcs that ramble incoherently but for the most part you're just going from boss to boss. Is there a need for grinding, no. But it's certainly a part of the game in terms of upgrading your character's ability to kill things. Moreover, I never found the combat itself much to my liking. While it's challenging they use cheesy mechanics to make it that way with slow/deliberate attacks. It's more choreography and learning patterns than fighting.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

There is zero need for grinding materials, by the way, unless you're aiming to max out your weapons, of course.

So, there is a need to grind then. Btw, you need max upgraded armor and weapons if you want to even have a chance in PVP or in NG+.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I wonder if those pre-order weapons will turn out to be jinxed or cursed or something appropriately trollish.
they have huge downsides and are mostly interesting novelties/gimmick items than anything else, you can find them all in the game relatively early I think. Still don't like it, but at least it's not super-powerful stuff.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I played the first for about a dozen or so hours. Just didn't get into it. Combat is fun but the world was too 'dead' for me to find interesting. I get that's what they're going for but grinding the same crap again and again for weapon upgrades felt tedious.
Exactly this.

I guess it's because DS is an action game first, and then, after a long pause, an RPG. I think it was actually while trying to get into DS when I realized my days of enjoying pure action in games are probably over for good. I need NPCs, dialogues, quests, story, you know...a reason to fight and level up.

That said I absolutely admire the focus, the art, the character, the unique vision, the sheer balls From Software demonstrated here. I love balls. I mean, I love developer's balls. I mean, I love when developers....eh forget it.

Misconnected

Savant
Not sure I get the balls thing. I mean, I like balls as much as the next guy.. Or.. Something..

From Software has been making variations on Dark Souls quite a few times, for many, many years. Starting with King's Field way back in '94. It's been a very gradual progression to Dark Souls, and a reasonably popular one. I'm fairly sure the lot were considered cult classics long before Dark Souls (except maybe the first, since hardly anyone had a chance to play it).

I don't really think it's particularly ballsy to keep doing something that keeps being a success.

- Not that I want them to do anything else :p

Exactly this.

I guess it's because DS is an action game first, and then, after a long pause, an RPG. I think it was actually while trying to get into DS when I realized my days of enjoying pure action in games are probably over for good. I need NPCs, dialogues, quests, story, you know...a reason to fight and level up.
I would rather have what Dark Souls delivers, than the so called "reasons" to levelup that Bioware gives us.

Nugs

Learned
Probated
DS2 is the pinnacle of souls series, its demons and dark combined into one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom