Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Adon

Arcane
Finished up Dark Souls 3 -- DLC and all -- and I can easily rank this at the bottom of the tier list for the series. That being said, I still enjoyed parts of it, especially a decent chunk of the bosses. I think Nameless King and Pontiff Sulyvahn are pretty high up there overall, and are definitely my favorite from this game. From the last time I posted all I had left was Lothric Castle (which was p good) and Archdragon Peak (which was p bad and has the worst gimmicky boss fight in the series). I've seen people say they like the Nameless King fight but hate the first phase. I don't feel the same as I thought that that phase can be learned well enough after a few tries to only end up getting hit once, maybe twice. But it is representative of a personal dislike about some of these bosses; not the different phases but fighting "multiple bosses" in a row. By the time I reached the Demon Prince in Dreg Heap, I was annoyed and impatient enough that it was the only boss in the whole game where I used an NPC summon to beat them faster.

That's not to say that I dislike every boss fight with that. Not at all. I think Friede, Younger Prince, and Nameless King are all great bosses that can get away with it because they are designed very well. For some reason with Demon Prince I just didn't have the patience for.

DLC-wise, I agree with the sentiment that Ashes of Ariendel is better than Ringed City even though I prefer the concept of RC way more than AoA. RC became too obnoxious after Dreg Heap with the undead clerics (some which can curse you by just being near them), turtle enemies and ringed knights around every corner on top of those giant dudes that you can instant kill with a plunge attack. Fighting Gael was a joy tho, and ironically, fighting him before Soul of Cinder makes the latter feel very tame in comparison.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't think anyone hates DS3 down to every last bit. Nameless King is easily one of the best bosses ever made, I really liked SoC too, a few areas are excellent (the prison, Archdragon Peak, half of Ariandel and p. much all Ringed City) and a handful of other things. But everything else screams "half-assed shovelware", which is especially enraging considering it's a sequel to a series of masterworks. It feels like one of those book sequels with a famous writer's name splayed all over the cover and then you start reading and it just totally lacks the spark and the soul of the previous books that made the writer famous. And then you look more closely and see it was actually written by a ghostwriter because the famous author is doing a different project.

Arnust

Savant
All this cut content is being dug up and it really makes me wonder if it could've been any better with even a single one of them, mainly real time alterations of areas (a bit ala Zelda in a way). Couldn't be worse for that, for sure.

Arnust

Savant
The main place where I see his name mentioned in the first place is from the THE GENIOUS OF MIYAZAKI-fags, though.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Muhzaki*

BTheZLn.jpg

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
The lorefags are the best. Coming up with things that the creators never thought of while creating the setting (which is why most of it makes no fucking sense whatsoever).
BUT DUDE ITEM DESCRIPTIONS
As if DS2 and 3 weren't enough indication that they don't give a fuck about "lore" beyond some general ideas to give the player a reason to move forward and have an identity of the series.
BUT IF NOT FOR THE CUT CONTENT IT WOULD MAKE SENSE
:hearnoevil:

Arnust

Savant
Nah, DS3 is straightforward with its stuff and cut content hasn’t really changed anything, without counting the Epitaphs from the demo version. It’s just that it’s answers manage to be either all unsatisfactory, anti climatic, underserved by the actual gameplay, needless retcons, or just shit.

But, for instance, those “portable“ bonfires found and implied by the trailer, could have added some more much needed gameplay depth and content. Or the ability to summon ally phantoms immediately like the ones in TRC. After all, some argue that the only real addition to the series from 2 was Bomfire Ascetics. Don’t see how would it be any different.

Gerrard

Arcane
They haven't changed anything, except completely rewriting the entire plot of the game so late in development that all those things are left in the game files.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well I made another character and decided to try out dark and fire damage more so I started with a pyromancer and decided I would go for the astora greatsword for it's really good elemental scaling. I just looked it up, after getting to cathedral of the deep, and found out I have to get to either the profaned chapel or anor londo to use either of the infusions for the scaling i was going for. Because I'm an idiot, I decided to rush the Onyx Blade because I could get to that area immediately from where I am. Now I'm trying to think of a way to get past the corvian knights and fight him with a +3 raw broadsword. Really hoping I don't have to pull a ymfah and try to use a shield to push him off a cliff.
EDIT: Well I did both. I tried fighting him fairly and he had a full heal I couldn't stop and his attacks would either hit for half my health or all of it so I tried cheesing him off the cliff and it failed, but I hit him so many times with my shield I just pulled out my sword and hit him a few more times to finish him off so he died on solid ground at least.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Since i started playing again DS games this time with mods, after playing for some time DS1 with Daughters of Ash mod i tried DS3 with Cinders mod this time, because i with my friend decided to play together DS3.

Cinders

Warning: Playing online with mods WILL get you softbanned. I don't really care because i don't play DS3 anymore and with friend we agreed to get softban and play with mods. So far though no softban.
Though you can make another steam account and family share ds3 to it and you can stay safe on your main account while family shared one will get softban. So you can eat the cake and have a cake.

It is pretty great, those are the main changes to how game is played:

- heavy armors got their absorpion increased so choosing them is now legit choice. You can really now stack up defense and see effect of it. Light armor is no longer superior choice.
- most of items locations changed.
- you get coals for infusions faster. You don't need to wait for end game to actually infuse something lol.
- roll cost is a lot higher. 3 rolls max at default endurance and you are out of stamina for a while. No rolling everywhere like vanilla.
- infusions now are not clear downgrade. hand infusions from item now add flat damage instead of scaling so they are more useful. A lot more weapons now can be infused.
- generally stamina regeneration is a lot slower, heavy armor stamina regen is especially brutal so no rolls for fat rollers really you get absorpion so face tank stuff.
- a lot of pieces of equipment got unique effects like milwood chest regenerates life, fallen knight hands give extra 100 poison res, each set has 1 piece of it which gives some effect. Some are very weak some are strong.
- you get a lot of FP from start so you can actually use those special abilities and magic.
- magic got completely re-balanced and i think this is the strongest part of mod. First of all FP now for both non magic and magic regenerates rather quickly. It is now completely possible to play with only magic. If you have in hand talisman, pyro flame or sorcery staff it will regenerate even faster.
You still need to those ashen flasks if you want to play spell only character because in longer fights that regen is still not that fast. My friend was DS3 hater and for the first time he actually used more ashen flasks than estus. Another side of rebalance is how much most of spells do damage and work. First of all most of spells are much faster now. Secondly most of them do a lot more damage now.
- New gear is rather nice. Nothing op but gives more variety.
- Same with bows, they got noticeable buff that takes them out of obscurity into legit weapon choice.
- Tons of changes to melee weapon to take some out of obscurity. They made for example frosting actual threat now instead of 10% life and 7% armor now it is 15% of health and 25% of armor

------------
------------

Devs have discord so i talked with them and there are a lot of thing they are also doing under the hood for future.
For one they managed to get actual poise working. It is not in mod right now because it is not nice way of doing it.
Basically there is seDurability stat for each armor which sits at 0. This is actual poise for not attacking.
You can set each armor with this stat to value of poise and it will work. Meaning rats and shit won't stagger you anymore
Reason why they didn't get it into game is that once you wear 4 piece of armor some script activates and removes use of that seDurability stat meaning no poise. So if you want poise you would have to wear only 3 pieces of armor.

If anyone is interested playing 3 pieces of armor instead of 4 and getting poise here is my edit. First install Cinders mod and then replace in game folder file with this file:

File

I also learned how to edit base stats. For sure i will change a lot stuff. No way vigor scaling and tresholds will stay untouched.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
Reason why they didn't get it into game is that once you wear 4 piece of armor some script activates and removes use of that seDurability stat meaning no poise. So if you want poise you would have to wear only 3 pieces of armor.

This is plain weird. Why would there be a script to undo the seDurability changes? From really didn't want people turning it on.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

This is plain weird. Why would there be a script to undo the seDurability changes? From really didn't want people turning it on.
Iirc ds3 has some weird defense malus if you aren't using all armor slots, might be that this is interacting in some strange way, rather than something intentional.

vota DC

Augur
I roleplayed my grandmother in Dark Souls 2, for Dark Souls 3 I am roleplaying a former class mate of high school, a black guy (technically was sicilian ancestry but still black for me) that was born in Zurich. So a Deprived with halberd. Starting shield seems terrible (finished tutorial and reached second castle bonfire only - I am mostly playing Dark Souls 2 because haven't finished it) so right now I just use the halberd boght from the lady near the firelink. I noticed it scales worse than club but I MUST use it because I am supposed to be a Swiss, also moveset seems cool (charge attack, far stab but I have a slash too while in Dark Souls 2 halberd randomly decided if slashing bashing or stabbing). For weird reasons strength stay D while dexterity go from D to C when I upgrade the halberd. I have to improve dexterity rather than strength? I did the opposite with the 2 but my grandmother used shield and club like in real life so no real need of dexterity. Right now I am avoiding luck, attunement, faith and intelligence.

Perkel

Arcane

Iirc ds3 has some weird defense malus if you aren't using all armor slots, might be that this is interacting in some strange way, rather than something intentional.

Yes there is some mallus when you don't wear armor. But that mallus works for every part. Meaning that it has nothing to do with switching off seDurability.

Either way the best way to get old poise is through Cheat Engine. Nexus has "enable poise" mod and it works without issues.
That file i made was for those dudes who don't want to use CE. Let us hope modders will figure out that script breaking stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom