Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
^This is the first full-throated defense of DS3 I've seen ITT. It's retarded but at least someone had the balls to defend that shitty game.

^This is the first full-throated defense of DS3 I've seen ITT. It's retarded but at least someone had the balls to defend that shitty game.
I am not defending shit. For me DS2> DS3 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I am just calling you out on your bullshit statements to gain Kodex Kool Kredits. That Skyrim argument shows how fucking retarded you are in shitting on game you played till the end. The only thing Skyrim has over DS3 is the ability to collect trash from every fucking house. Are you a trash collector mate?;)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The franchise is essentially finished. FromSoft have said that the odds of a fresh Dark Souls game aren't 0%, but are pretty close to it for the foreseeable future.

I know the game is the worst in the franchise beyond all doubt, because I've just experienced it for myself.

There's therefore no reason for me to hang around arguing with bozos about it. It's like trying to have a conversation with those Hollows in DS2 who were eternally bashing their heads against petrified giant trees. They're already dead, it's all so pointless, the world is moribund... just have a seat and become crestfallen, because none of it matters.

See ya, LOSERS!

Silva

Arcane
Is there something that could be salvageable from DS3? Or should Fromsoft just say "forget everything about it, get back to the roots and improve from there" for their next games?

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
"forget everything about it, get back to the roots and improve from there" for their next games?

That's why Dark Souls remastered is coming, it's FROM saying 'forget about DS 2 and 3, here is DS with some improvements'

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"forget everything about it, get back to the roots and improve from there" for their next games?

That's why Dark Souls remastered is coming, it's FROM saying 'forget about DS 2 and 3, here is DS with some improvements'
We don't know if the Remaster improves on anything. So far it seems it's just the old game with a new texture pack. Also it's Bamco's project, afaik From isn't involved in this at all.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted

We don't know if the Remaster improves on anything. So far it seems it's just the old game with a new texture pack. Also it's Bamco's project, afaik From isn't involved in this at all.

- dedicated servers = MP finaly working
- 6 players
- textures
- 60 fps not breaking the game like dsfix (the game was tied to 30 fps so 60 fps with dsfix in DS1 actualy breaks some things during combat, walking on ladders, weapon degradation etc)
- lighting and effects from DS3

That's not maybe much, but i'm sure there will be plenty more improvements under the hood.

Also more people will be playing online thanks to this as most people tend to think that 'latest version = best version'

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
There's your standard mage, and a dedicated variant who loses access to some healing and support spells but can cast massively damaging AoEs that have an enormous casting time.

Do you mean like this?

Or perhaps this?

I liked that dialogue.
-By any chance was your first choice for a part time job being a waitress?
-Yes.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted
- 60 fps not breaking the game like dsfix
- lighting and effects from DS3

Are those things actually confirmed?

yes

Dark-Souls-Remastered-Visuals-Features.jpg

'....PC players will be able to play the classic game with new lighting and effects (similar to those in Dark Souls 3'

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/22-...date-enhancements-features-everything-we-know

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I knew it's being made by QLOC with Bamco's money, that's why I said it's Bamco's project. Where did you get it's with From's help tho?

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted

I see nothing there that confirms non buggy 60 FPS. For all we know they're just gonna do same shit DSFix did and call it a day.

nah, it's an official remake and not a mod, it will work normaly under 60 fps.

Judging how shitty the PC port was by From, i think it's good that other company that specializes in PC ports is doing the remaster.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Judging how shitty the PC port was by From, i think it's good that other company that specializes in PC ports is doing the remaster.

I don't get this talk about DS1 PC port being shitty. Afaik the only thing they screwed up was the K&M controls, fair enough. But the Nioh port doesn't have ANY M&K controls at all. Sure, people are angry about that but nobody says the entire port is shitty because of that.

Unwanted

MI.Tex

Unwanted

I don't get this talk about DS1 PC port being shitty. Afaik the only thing they screwed up was the K&M controls, fair enough. But the Nioh port doesn't have ANY M&K controls at all. Sure, people are angry about that but nobody says the entire port is shitty because of that.

Having a PC game locked to 30 fps is shitty, and dsfix brakes stuff.

and the textures are godawful low size, like 512mb probably, it uses the same assets as the console version that runs in 1280x720 resolution.

So bumping the PC res to 1920x1080 make it ugly, the only thing that saves the low res textures is the superb art direction.

So while DS 1 is 10/10 as a game, the PC port is 2/10

I can't wait to see the remaster on my 4k monitor with the new 2k textures.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't get this talk about DS1 PC port being shitty.

Seriously dude? Locked 720p rendering resolution at 30 FPS with basically zero graphics options makes for a decent port to you?

Locked framerate is bad, yeah. Forgot about that one since I've always played with the DSFix and 60 FPS.

And normally no graphic options would piss me off too but in DS I don't really miss them. It's a 2011 game, you need to be able to set up a proper resolution and that's about it.

Silva

Arcane
Overall, I would also say that 2 beats 3 and is roughly the net equal to BB
Only in your dreams. DS2 is fun as hell but its intangibles - world building, ambience, mythos - are too shallow or incoherent to truly compete with the almost poetic quality of Demons, DS1 or Bloodborne.

Which leads to another very important thing this series kinda invented: that world-building can be more effective by the absence of information than by the presence of it, letting the player fill the gaps with their own imagination while experiencing a feeling of awe and mystery in the process.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Overall, I would also say that 2 beats 3 and is roughly the net equal to BB
Only in your dreams. DS2 is fun as hell but its intangibles - world building, ambience, mythos - are too shallow or incoherent to truly compete with the almost poetic quality of Demons, DS1 or Bloodborne.

Which leads to another very important thing this series kinda invented: that world-building can be more effective by the absence of information than by the presence of it, letting the player fill the gaps with their own imagination while experiencing a feeling of awe and mystery in the process.

I personally enjoyed the atmosphere in Dark Souls II, it gave me a nice 'gaiden' sort of vibe and felt odd, surreal, and disorienting (in a good way) if you just came out of the first simply expecting a continuation of the same. In that sense it reminded me of Majora's Mask.

As for coherence... well, it is about as coherent as any of the others, I mean, these are games where you always have to read between the lines and technically any plot - or more appropriately lore - holes can technically be filled by theories and associations hinted by the ubiquitous self-referencing of the world in obscure ways, Dark Souls II is not really an exception. It does give you some very revealing dialogue with Vendrick, and it throws some potentially world-changing concepts out there, such as the possibility of overcoming the cycle, but this is all done in a very teasing way that doesn't subvert the generally aporetic nature of the game, especially since no conclusive answers are ultimately given, as per the typical procedure.

Anyway, I am not that interested in debating lore to be honest, as it has been quite a while since I really delved into theories and read the relevant information, so my memory is a bit hazy on all of that stuff. I do remember that even though I was skeptical about the lore in 2 when I started playing myself, I eventually found it to be sufficiently engaging and deep to be comparable to that of the others.

All of that said, BB beats DS2 soundly in terms of art direction and visuals, it isn't even a contest. The reason I consider them roughly equal is because Dark Souls had more diversified build options and I found it to be more varied and challenging overall, even when playing purist style. I also think, though I am not entirely certain, that 2 simply had more content overall: I'm sure it had more covenants, weapons, spells, and items, but not so sure about the amount of areas, though I am inclined to say it had more of that too OTOH. All of this is counterbalanced by BB's superior and more satisfying combat engine, overall better balance(virtually free of cheesy cheapness and steady challenge throughout), better visuals and art direction, procedural post-game content boosting replayability, and yes, even a superiority in what you called the intangibles, though I don't think the gap in that last respect is as great as you seem to think so. Thus, in the net I found them roughly equal. It ain't an exact science, just my general perception of things.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom