Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

sullynathan

Arcane
Iudex Gundyr ☑
Vordt ☑
Greatwood ☑ (Ish)
Crystal mage ☑ (Sorta)
Abyss watchers ☑
Pontiff ☑
Aldrich ☑ (Ish)
Oceiros ☑
Gundyr again ☑
Like I said, around 3 or 4. You have to stretch it out to include that fucking greatwood

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
But not the Asylum Demon, Capra Demon, Ceaseless Discharge, Centipede Demon, Queelag, Priscilla, Gwyndolin, Firesage, Gaping Dragon, Sif, Gwyn, Iron Golem, Moonlight Butterfly, Nito, Seath, Taurus Demon, Aldia, Nashandra, Vendrick, The Pursuer, Old Dragonslayer, Elana, Lost Sinner, Old Iron King, Freja, The Rotten, Giant Lord, Guardian Dragon, Sinh, Ruin Sentinals, Demon of Song, Covetous Demon, Dragonrider, Najka, Flexile Sentry, Rat Authority, or Aava. Christ, I forgot how many there were.

Now choose those bosses from the list that are padding, boring trash. And now, pick from all the bosses those who are the best in Dark souls 1&2. You'll get a surprise.

What DS3 boss starts off with a relatively standard and slowish moveset, then powers up half way through the battle to gain elemental damage, and faster, wider-ranging attacks with longer combos?
There's probably only 3 or 4 bosses that do that but that won't stop your agenda against the game

Iudex Gundyr ☑
Vordt ☑
Greatwood ☑ (Ish)
Crystal mage ☑ (Sorta)
Abyss watchers ☑
Pontiff ☑
Aldrich ☑ (Ish)
Oceiros ☑
Gundyr again ☑

And can't judge the remainder, not got to them yet. As for the others, 3 of them are gimmicks, Wolnir might've been like that but could hardly see what he was doing anyway, and the old demon king was seemingly the only normal one. A few of them might not get elemental damage, or just attack a bit more often instead of combos, but it's basically the same story for every one of them. They don't get their own gimmick, they have to share. And that gimmick is HAHA NOW THE REAL FIGHT BEGINS WHAT A SURPRISE. And I don't have an "agenda"; I got the game for free for christ's sake. It's not like I'm mad about wasting money. It's just annoying seeing the same shit over and over again. Oh hi there Untended Graves, you look familiar...

Artorias , Manus and O&S? Or maybe Fume Knight, Sir Alonne and Darklurker? Nope that must be Ludwig, Maria and Orphan...

:troll:

But not the Asylum Demon, Capra Demon, Ceaseless Discharge, Centipede Demon, Queelag, Priscilla, Gwyndolin, Firesage, Gaping Dragon, Sif, Gwyn, Iron Golem, Moonlight Butterfly, Nito, Seath, Taurus Demon, Aldia, Nashandra, Vendrick, The Pursuer, Old Dragonslayer, Elana, Lost Sinner, Old Iron King, Freja, The Rotten, Giant Lord, Guardian Dragon, Sinh, Ruin Sentinals, Demon of Song, Covetous Demon, Dragonrider, Najka, Flexile Sentry, Rat Authority, or Aava. Christ, I forgot how many there were.
not my fault that best bosses in those games are dudes with harder second phase. Shit even Flamelurker was like that so that was their shtick since 2009. Also isnt "This isn’t even my final form ?" some video games tropes?

Most of the bosses you mentioned now are either shit or plain boring aside from Sinh, Elana, Gwyn and maybe Pursuer. I dont see anything wrong with boss expanding his moveset mid-fight. Manus without dark magic would be much easier same with Darklurker. If you know that power up is coming than save estus for later. AW, Pontiff and Gundyr are quite difficult fights and their 1 phase is supposed to prepare you for harder challenge and get the rhythm of the fight right.

If i had to chose between shit like Centipede Demon/Giant Lord etc. and 15 versions of Artorias i would go with the latter. At least fighting Abyss Watchers is fun unlike poking someones ankles for 10 minutes straight.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Curse Greatwood is like most non-humanoid bosses From has ever done - good idea, bad execution. That's why so many people don't like "gimmick" bosses, sadly.

sullynathan

Arcane
Curse Greatwood is like most non-humanoid bosses From has ever done - good idea, bad execution. That's why so many people don't like "gimmick" bosses, sadly.
most of their gimmick bosses have not-so-good execution which is why fans disliked them and FROM ditched the idea.

No one wants to fight 10 different poop monsters like Demon's souls, no one wants to fight dumb bosses like the bed of chaos.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
BTW The happy hobbit is trying to not becoming bald by trying to finish ALL dark souls runs in the row.

Silva

Arcane
most of their gimmick bosses have not-so-good execution which is why fans disliked them and FROM ditched the idea.

No one wants to fight 10 different poop monsters like Demon's souls, no one wants to fight dumb bosses like the bed of chaos.
...and no one wants to fight humanoid boss with two/three phases.

You can discuss the details as much as you want, but the fact is by the time of DS3 the formula was already spread thin, and anything you do will be derivative of what came before, thus boring. If they don't shake things up and actually innovate for the next game (Aztec adventure? Shadows die twice?) then it will be more bland and boring than DS3.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Lazing Dirk and I have finished this Artorias ripoff marathon simulator. Postmortem:

This is the first game of the franchise that I've beaten in a paltry 42 hours (playing through each area twice, searching everywhere thoroughly, and constantly fighting invaders, no less; some fights lasted 10+ minutes) and had no desire to boot up again.

Spellcasters are even worse off than I thought. Although spellcasting invaders are quite rare, we encountered several invaders with proper-looking names whom I thought might be NPC invaders at first, only to realize they were players when I effortlessly rolled past their spells and killed them in two swings of the Black Knight Greataxe. If they'd been NPCs, they'd have had massively inflated HP; otherwise, I might not have noticed at all.

Speaking of spellcasting, there are two standout spellcaster bosses in DS3: Crystal Sage and Aldritch. The Crystal Sage employs minor teleportation and decoys/clones for defense, area denial, and additional offense; Aldritch uses major teleportation that moves him diagonally across the huge boss arena, as well as area denial spells for defense and additional offense. A certain spellcasting boss in DS2 used minions to defend herself, one of which was an actual other boss. Clearly then, FromSoft recognizes that spellcasters require some combination of a way to gain distance and breathing room, a way to deny areas effectively, and/or minions or other distractions to run interference; spellcasting players are given none of these tools, unless they're playing co-op. Indeed, the solo spellcaster will be rushed and ambushed at melee range at all times, which is why people only use spellcasting on high-SL min-maxed gimmick builds with perfect equipment for PvP ganking or nuking bosses. In the face of all this, they saw fit to burdern spellcasters with the obnoxious split-Estus Fag Points system.

The level design in this game is complete trash. They're thinly-disguised linear corridors with quick exits everywhere and fast travel points placed every 50-100 yards. We found two bonfires that were exactly 10 seconds away from each other at a sprint, and many that were 20-30 seconds away. Also, there's the all-in-one hub that is the Firelink Shrine, again, super-cancerous. It's the Skyrim of the Dark Souls series.

Itemization is utter trash. 90% of loot is some upgrade bit, a usable soul item, a turn-in item or consumable you probably don't need, with only 2-3 unique or interesting things per entire zone, and often one of those things is an Estus upgrade, which there are only two types of. The great majority of armor, spells, and weapons are simply purchased from hub vendors, or else farmed. IT SHOULD BE THE OPPOSITE, YOU UTTER RETARDS. Players should find most of the unique armor, weapons, and spells as loot, and buy the repetitive upgrade crap from vendors. It got to the point I didn't even read or remember what I was picking up anymore.

List of Artoriases: Jewdex Artorias (and Jewdex Artorias Redux), Pontiff Grievous, Dragonslayer Armorias, the Twin Princes (more-or-less), the strangely anticlimactic final boss, and Artorias Watchers. I will say though that Abyss Watchers was excellently and originally foreshadowed and presented, with actual dynamic choices to make during the fighting leading up to the main event, and probably it's the best boss fight in DS3 unless there's a better one in the DLCs we aren't going to get (and where some of the coolest armor and weapons are, natch).

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It really hurts me to be downdooted by a Millennial who most likely played Fallout 3 at around the same age I was playing Fallout. That really gets under my skin, and I'm not sure how I'll ever recover.

The fire fades indeed, textbook going out with a whimper and not a bang... a real shame. I'm now highly suspicious of Bloodborne as well. I haven't played it yet, but if people are praising this garbage, I'm apprehensive.

You know what really made me appreciate Dark Souls 2 a whole lot more than when I only had DS1 to compare it with? Dark Souls 3.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Everything you wrote is spot on, except Skyrim is a better game than DS3.

Almost everything about DS3 is lazy and phoned-in, with zero innovation, effort or even care and the level design is probably the biggest offender. That said, there's some good improvement in the DLCs, altho don't expect miracles.

Bloodborne is brilliant. It has issues but there's a world of difference between the level of love and care and thought and innovation it received and DS3. If it was just as phoned-in as DS3 I'd seriously think Miyazaki is just a skilled scammer and FromSoft shat the bucket the moment he took over. But it really seems he sank all his time into Bloodborne and outsourced DS3 to some Chinese third party or some such.

As for people praising DS3....if you look around forums for reasons why people love DeS and DS1 they usually say "the vibe, the ideas, the combat, the level design, the itemization, the bosses, the writing, the lore, the little devious details, the quirkiness, the secrets, whole package". If you ask the retards who praise DS3 what they like about that game you'd typically hear "it's smooth...better graphix...viscerul bosses". Nuff said.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
A boss fight better than any of the boss fights in DS2/3 , and arguably one of the very best Metroidvania/Souls-style boss fights of all time. Take notes, ignoramuses:

• extremely varied and versatile moveset
  • quick but clear telegraphing
  • no auto-tracking bullshit once the boss has committed to an attack
  • combination of in-your-face, area denial, and ranged attacks with (pressured) breathing room
  • viable with melee or melee/magic hybrid (mostly melee in this video)
  • no HP bloat
  • no second stage (none needed), but aggression and speed increase
  • hard but fair

Silva

Arcane
Blaine , don't let DS3 spoil the whole series for you. Bloodborne, even with it's flaws, has the same passion and originality behind it as the earlier entries in the series, and is a much better experience than DS3 because of it.

And I'm on my first playthrough of Hollow Knight right now so cease the spoilers please. :?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Putting up with 30 FPS will be tough after being spoiled by a 144Hz G-Sync monitor, but then again, going all the way down to 60 on FPS-locked DS2/DS3/MGSV hasn't been bad at all. Speaking of which, I should probably get DS1 and DSFix. I originally played DS1 on PS3, Blighttown slideshow and all.

If you two like Dark Souls, see the promise of Hollow Knight, and are able to at least recognize the problems with DS3 (if not spew a breath attack of vitriol as befits my personal sense of style), then I suppose you're of sound judgment. I already went insane last year and bought a PS4 for access to the grand total of I think three good exclusives it's had in its lifetime, and Bloodborne was planned to be one of them. It's only $15 on Amazon. It really aggravates me that it will never come to PC, but oh well.

And I'm on my first playthrough of Hollow Knight right now so cease the spoilers please. :?

Hornet is in the Steam promotional videos. The only spoiler there is her name and that she represents a good boss fight, unless you clicked the video. Simmer down.

Anyway, that's the only tidbit that needs any specifying, so rest easy. Hollow Knight is a mastahpeece that stands right alongside Super Metroid and the best Castlevanias (not that I remember which ones those are, since there are about 30 different titles at this point and I get them confused).

If you enjoy Dark Souls, then you will almost certainly enjoy Hollow Knight, unless the theme bugs you.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've bought both Hollow Knight and Salt&Sanctuary but alas, I've realized those 2D metroidvanias aren't nearly as alluring for me as Souls. It's not bad but I always stop and some early point and never came back. Maybe it's because I've never really liked platformers of any kind, maybe except Gods. Gods was divine.

Ivan

Arcane
, unless the theme bugs you.
latest

:bro:

sullynathan

Arcane
I already played Hollow Knight, it's a brilliant game and long for a metroidvania. Salt & Sanctuary is shit

Blaine That's not even the best boss in Hollow Knight. The Dragon Slayer armor is better than that boss.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Blaine That's not even the best boss in Hollow Knight. The Dragon Slayer armor is better than that boss.

Dragonslayer Armor does have a varied moveset, I'll give it that. it has several variations of standard slashes; a sideslash or two because FromSoft was shamed almost to the point of seppuku to see YouTube videos of players leisurely jogging around bosses in DS1; probably the inevitable sudden reversal/back kick (almost all DS3 enemies have a GET OFF MY ASS REEEE move, lost track of them all); a few leaping attacks; and a shield tantrum and shield rush move. Probably I'm forgetting something, but those are the gist.

And of course the flying cancer seahorse does some flaming and laser bombardment shit that spices things up a bit.

Having said that, piling on more doesn't necessarily equal a better fight. The defensive tactics for Dragonslayer Armor (as with all Artorias Xeroxes) are the same in nearly all cases: Roll out of move with correct timing, get one solid hit in (or several if using little teensy weapons) before punish, roll out of move with correct timing, get one solid hit in before punish, then later keep an eye on flying cancer seahorse and avoid mid-arena while continuing to roll out of move with correct timing and get one solid hit in before punish, but more gingerly since the tantrum of spam combos has been spiced up significantly.

Whereas in the Hornet
second encounter, each move is very distinct and far more tactically interesting and interactive. The horizontal and air rushes are pretty straightforward. There's the harpoon needle, which can be dodged or outranged normally, but further rewards player skill and adroitness by allowing you to kip inside of it and give her a whack before kipping back out; the needle traps, which can be placed in all sorts of different positions and must either be removed carefully or avoided; the thread whip is provoked in certain ways and you can either try to avoid triggering it, or keep a sharp eye out for it; and she can leap, block, wall cling, bait, and perform various other moves very dynamically, which helps her to seem more realistic rather than a robot dispensing a series of roll timing memorization tests.
Artorias Xeroxes have dynamic reactions also, and you have to memorize them completely if you want to upload a no-hit win to YouTube, but... yeah, not as good.

Some of his telegraphs are homosexually quick/subtle, and of course he virtually never lays off and is incredibly relentless. That's all well and good if you want to jerk your ding-dong about what a badass you are, but I'm personally getting a bit tired of it.

Also, nearly all of his moves are auto-tracking, which is extremely fake difficulty intended to force either i-frame rolls or parrying (if possible) and tanking, and is the worst cancer known to mankind in difficult action games today. Delayed windup-to-execution attacks are fine, provoked snap-attacks are fine, and a smidgen of restricted auto-tracking is fine, but electromagnet-tier autotracking is shit and anyone who disagrees is also shit and should take a long walk off a short pier.

Quantity of moves (which in the case of the Armor, doesn't actually have much true variety, only variations on a theme) and sheer difficulty don't necessarily make for the most satisfying and enjoyable boss encounter. I think there's a balance to be struck there, and while Hornet may be easier to figure out and defeat in the long run, I'm going to remember that battle for a long time, as you'll note I have in this thread. The only reason I'll remember Dragonslayer Armor is because of the flying cancer seahorses, which are hilarious.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Perhaps someone will attempt to rebut my comments regarding the game's level design. All I've heard so far is that you can see the next area you'll be visiting off in the distance. That's because it's practically a straight line the whole way through the game, you fucking goofballs. The only reason corners exist is to hide the fact that the next bonfire is a stone's throw away.

The ending to Dark Souls 3 really summed up the entire game in microcosm. First you touch a bonfire at an all-in-one hub, then you run fifty feet and touch another bonfire, which transports you to a third bonfire. From there, a completely linear table of brown land bathed in sunlight leads directly to the final boss, who is a walking bonfire and also yet another Artorias clone.

sullynathan

Arcane
Some of his telegraphs are homosexually quick/subtle, and of course he virtually never lays off and is incredibly relentless. That's all well and good if you want to jerk your ding-dong about what a badass you are, but I'm personally getting a bit tired of it.
This I have to disagree with. The hornet is far more annoying than DS Armor was. She never laid off the player.
Also, nearly all of his moves are auto-tracking
He only has a few attacks that track annoyingly which is the shield bash and the axe floor drag.
I think there's a balance to be struck there, and while Hornet may be easier to figure out and defeat in the long run, I'm going to remember that battle for a long tim
Hornet wasn't the most memorable fight in HK for me, far too simple. The Soul magician was a pretty good boss early on. I remember Dragon Slayer armor because of the variety of his attacks (which you don't think is real) and how he handles itself in co-op.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom