Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Shadenuat

Arcane
..............well that turned into a fight with giant knight with big weapon quickly.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well, after 50 hours, having one moment of actual amazement, even if it's Gwyn on a dragon... I'll take it, it's an achievement for a game anyway.

Arnust

Savant
This is sad.

Anyway, I think the two bosses that are actually the best of its kind... Are the Demon Prince and the Deacons of the Deep. I actually really like DoTD.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I finished everything except DLCs.

For the most part of the game, I had base or a bit more VIG and 20 END, and closing to second part of the game, I leveled VIG to 20. I never leveled VIT and as such wasn't able to do best roll even naked, as Claymore weighted more than I could carry, apparently. I furiously hated the weight system in the game, as I wasn't even able to carry a few different weapons and a magic staff, and now, with my level 92, Prisoner's Chain & Ring of Favor and 20 VIT best I could do is to wear Faram's armor and helmet & Black leather gloves and boots... with 1 light sword and a staff. To wear Claymore, I have to switch helmet to a cape or hat.

Which is why for the most of the game, I wore Sorcerer's set, and was really happy when I found it since everything else was too heavy or looked like crap. With it, I was able to wear 2 swords, bow, staff, talisman, 4 rings and my weight was just barely below 70%.

I guess that might be why I died so often and I probably can recommend leveling VIG to 25+ right fucking away lol.

I have 18 STR & DEX for Lothric's Knight shield, which is a high stability shield with parry option & exremely high Lightning resistance (ended up super useful), and for Astora Greatsword which for some reason weights less than Claymore... although I did not use it much.

I tried to level up a few weapons at the same time: Claymore, Estoc, Astora Greatsword & Lothric Longsword. Eventually, Claymore outclassed other weapons due to upgrades and versatility, but it was somewhat of a mistake - I should have focused on Lothric Sword. That thing gets S in INT and has incredible DPS and great moveset. If I leveled up it instead, I would have saved myself many boss tries due to how important it is to land hits fast and have time to dodge. A bonus to crit on top of everything makes backstabbing things all the better. Still, Claymore was as good as ever with it's speed, versatility and poise breaking bosses.

Somewhere around Derp Cathedral I found you can farm some crystal gems near Sage bonfire and decided to play wizard, because things were becoming a bit stale after all the undead cities and derp swamp I did before Cathedral. I never really played wizards in DS except noob play in DS1 once so I decided to try it. Respecced and began using some spells & crystal weapons. Turned out I Wizards in DS3 are at their worst in the series, but oh well... I didn't want to respec again and went all retard with 50 INT. Tried all the spells... found out Great S-Missile & GHSM are the only 2 good spells... but I liked casting Light and invis so I stayed there. And stayed with my 18 ATN since why use more than 3 spells? I'd gladly add heal ailments spell there but that would require too big of a sacrifice.

So here are the deaths of Shadenaut ze Wizard. I admit I was extremely rusty when going into DS3 as I haven't played DS game for years:

Gundyr 1: A few deaths. His first form is easy enough, but second makes great use of most powerful ally for any boss - camera & FOV, - and is so erratic and random and just sorta dumb and incromprehensibly looking. I didn't like this boss.

Vordt: A few, as stomping attacks and frost AoE got me.

Wood: (hehe, wood... ahem) Actually died a shitton of times there, before I realised that maybe I am supposed to smash eggies faster than in 10 hits. Returned with Claymore +3 or +4 and killed the boss in first try after. First berserkered into him without touching adds and broke eggies in like 2 hits. Then almost stunlocked him by breaking everything else. I had to read wiki to found out he has eggies on his legs, because I just didn't see them, I tried attacking him frontally. His hand has great tracking and managed to snatch me across two roll distances a few times.

Crystal sage: First try. Shows you how viable casting is in this game, eh?

Abyss Watchers: Died a lot - mostly to 2d form. My build was at it's worst at the time, with base hp and nothing about it, really. Read a wiki and found out I missed half of the first part of the game... returned with upgraded Crystal Claymore again and enough HP to not die in a hit or two. Allowed me to remove 50% of boss hp and stagger him in 5 hits. When you only need to do 4 correct actions during fight, it's a lot easier. For it's speed, Claymore is great at stunning enemies. Backstabbing and a lucky parry helped too.

Deacons: First try. Claymore can cut through these sort of encounters infinitely.

Wolnir: Second try. In the first one I ended up at a mercy of random skeleton and camera, and was thrown somewhere into poisoned cloud and died. Claymore +6 or better at the time ended fight in less than 2 minutes.

Old Demon King: A few tries. Felt like Queelag all back then... I summoned because there was supposed to be unique whip as reward, but dumb phantom died. I ended up using boss "awesome" times to throw as many GHSMs at him, while first phase I did melee.

Darth Revan-- err Pontiff: A few tries, before I figured out that best opening is when he actually summons the clone. I didn't even bother to do the fight in any pure way. My eyes are poor enough that I don't even see some of his flashing purple/red attacks (like left hand thrust, what's up with that?). So shield up it is, and then just bait his clone summoning while staying alive.

Yhorm: I died a lot to this one. The white glowing of loot - I can't see Pontiff's lightsabre, but I can see this from ten miles away! But I didn't figure it out, so I ended up slowly deconstructing the fight. Eventually, it proved a bit hard for me to land melee hits on his head. Which is why I used Great Soul missile for it, while reposting him after and doing a lucky slash or two to his legs. Sure, GHSM is stronger, but it's only about twice stronger while GM is 1.5 faster, meaning it's possible to dodge him, land missiles on his head & reposte.

Aldritch: Two tries. The thing turned out to be just too goddamn stupid and weaker than, say, snake lady from DS2. During second try I blocked her arrows with my wall of light, but it only casted it once, while everything else I saw were: magic missiles, ice scythe & black whirlpool. From all that, only black whirlpool did good damage. So the fight went like this: I rush the boss, smash with claymore, roll back from teleport, chunk estus. Rush it again, the stupid thing makes like a scythe smash and gets stuck in a wall, I hit tail, it teleports... rince & repeat.

Dancer: I died. A lot. Oh boy. I heard people beat it with dark axe you get in the beginning... eheheh... anyway, the first phase was okay. The second though... and then there's just the pure reach of her attacks. They cut through pillars and seem to reach across whole level. And track well enough. I resorted to pillar humping as much as possible, poking with claymore and throwing a spell or two. Thinking about it now, I really didn't have enough hp or stamina for that fight.
This is the only boss with swords which I liked, by the way, due to how radically different and fluid her fighting stance is. I'd still wish there were bosses without 360 tracking attacks, like maybe a fencer with straight and direct movement with a rapier. But Dancer was different from the other peasants enough.

Dragonslayer Armour: A few tries. Mostly was a straightforward fight with blocking and going behind the boss. It was one of the first fights where I began to think I need faster weapon.

Oceiros: A few tries. This was the first boss which I liked from Lore perspective, because he talked to me. I wish more bosses would do it. It might be an obvious thing, but I believe it for Oceiros & Twins, as well as for Yorhska, to be the reason why they stand out from the crowd so much (Yorshka being the only covenant figure which is memorable).
My damage against dragon granpa was bad with crystal weapon, and his tasman devil spinning attack I couldn't predict whatsoever. Which is why I resorted to poking him behind the shield in the second phase. Heck, concidering during his first phase his staff attacks could kill me in 2 hits, I should have used shield more there as well.

Champion Gundyr: Died. A lot. I was trying him during 2 evenings of play, as I spent second day fighting Namelees King... and winning! Before I beaten Gundyr. I guess I'm just bad at these sort of agressive bosses you can't study well.
I summoned... multiple times! But phantom died to stunlocks while Gundyr mostly reaggroed on me so I decided to forget about it.
Eventually, what made the fight was simple weapon change. Killing Nameless King allowed me to upgrade my Lothric Sword to +10. Becoming more familiar with it while farming some souls to buy some cool armor, I changed load from my rags to heavier armor as I got whooping 15 VIT (lol). I became from average to okay with parrying Gundyr's first form, but his agressive second form was still a nightmare. But quicker weapon allowed me to land a hit and turtle up or roll away without getting stunlock air thrown uppercuted spear thrusted into 0 hp.
It was the last boss I defeated in the game, before endgame boss.

Lothric: A few tries... strangely enough. It was straightforward for me with going behind boss and rolling to dodge attacks. The only thing that killed me was his strange teleportation attack. Like, sometimes he teleported somewhere, while sometimes he teleported on top of me. But with 12+ estus flasks at a time, I went through him okay.
It was another boss I liked from Lore perspective too. It talks, and it's interesting and all dramatical & tragical.

Wyvern: HURR DURR WE LIKE DRAGON AGE

Nameless King: Quite a few tries. This is where my Lothric Shield proved to be a huge help. The first part of the fight is very random due to camera and FOV issues. Sometimes I breezed through it in literally seconds, sometimes it took precious estus flasks.
The second part is very easy for a sorcerer, even without throwing magic missiles at him (which is pure cheese). Double easy for a sorcerer with lightning resistant shield & shield enhancing spell which makes you invulnerable to any attack but spear impale, and guy gives you a lot of time to recast it slowly walking to you. I guess he is hard for pure dodgers though, but dodge + shield is very doable.

Soul of Cinder: A few tries. This boss just screams originality, eh? Let's just remake Gwyn and add all Knights in Castles attacks! I hated the boss.
Well, let's go through the forms:
- Sword is easy enough. Dodge and block and have quick weapon. I used my Lothric Sword and that allowed to land a hit often and then have time to block or roll away.
It's the form it starts with, which is why I used that for my invulnerability mode: Great Magic Shield, and half of his hp was gone during this form usually for those 30 secs I had.
- Hurr durr prince of persia. This one didn't seem like for me. All attacks were like 360 and fast, so I simply stayed back. Dodged firebolts. Thrown a GHSM or two.
- Spear can be more annoying than sword but, usually, it also was weakness of the boss for me. I rolled in and landed hits.
- Magic, of course, shown how viable magic in this game is. This one generally ended up with boss poise broken and he was going into 2d form.
-- Second form. Thanks for time for heals and all the "I am doing combo of doom!" coffee breaks. They are excellent to recast Great Magic Shield or land 3 GHSMs in a row.

For now, my other thoughts on the game...
+ It has really pretty places to go.
- Sadly many are just remakes from previous games, and as levels they often tend to be linear and boring (Irillyth Castle is stunning, until you realise it's an avenue of ghosty knights).
- And some textures are ugly. And apparently consoles still can't handle good looking forests.
+ It has some haunting Dark Souls moments. Like when you ented quiet Archives, or see aurora borealis atop castle. Or reach waifu with dragon tail.
- Which are often ruined by going through another pack of trashy mobs.
- Speaking mobs, there were almost none which I truly liked. The undead and knights are boring for a long time DS player. Fat witches were funny, if not for bonkers spinning attacks and tracking grab. Bloodborne inspired rapid moving fuckers, of all kinds, I didn't like much. When I think DS, I imagine something, well, not slow, but heavy and creeping. Kinda like dungeon fuckers with hot irons, but without cheating health removal.
I did not like most of the bosses, neither in terms of gameplay or lore. DS is really a game you actually and for real only play once, and Gwyn 2.0 is just not as cool as Gwyn 1.0, even if he has more japanese supah final forms.
- At times game also felt like cheap Diablo, as it just thrown mobs at you inside some mindless corridors (catacombs, underground lake, dragon peak). It felt like trying to create artificial difficulty rather to work through quality, but for what purpose, I do not know. Perhaps designers thought that player has to burn through 15 estus flasks somehow? Perhaps that's why the damage of all mobs is also bonkers?
+ The world design and bonfire placement is sure better than DS2.
- But not on the level you'd expect from 3d game in the series. Levels feel somewhat linear. Although a few times game splits which is very good. Bonfire placement is out of hand, as you may find like 3 in a row at some places. Yet at times, like in Cathedral & Archives, it's how it is supposed to work. Although, while it works like that, it didn't click in my head that well as say in DS1.
+ There is some difficult design in levels like in Cathedral where using bow or binoculars and being careful is rewarded.
- But at times game is absolute fucking bullshit on the lowest level of the low. Many enemies are placed in a way you will *never* see them first time. The Irilyth Dungeon is pure bullshit at times. It has literally a bunch of spawning mobs.
Game also has a lot of ninja undead right from Dragon Age 2. That's just a travesty. I would slap person who thought it's a correct DS design.
+ The Lore is Dark Souls lore, and game seems to have some interesting things you might want to discover. Some bosses talk to you.
- On the other hand, it's just DS1 again and most people would probably think it's all muddy bullshit and game could do better storytelling with NPCs and bosses.
I certainly wish I would meet more NPCs on the road...
+ New mana system is cleaner than D&D 2.5
- Yet strangely enough it made casters weaker.
- But made other classes for PVE easier since hey, 15 Estus flasks.
- And some other systems I did not like (weight).
- Armor feels like paper. And many armor sets do not really look that great.
- Covenants suck for single player.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Thanks for the long post; I have a short question: what do you mean by saying 'Lothric Sword gets S in Int'? You infused it?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
And as for covenants sucking, how the fuck do you guys get the Darkmoon Blade miracle? I've been walking for 40+ hours in the covenant and only got summoned sth like 3 times.

Kitchen Utensil

Reading this thread and comparing it to the DS1 and DS2 threads is really interesting. It seems to have been a good decision to make DS3 the end of the franchise.

Having played and finished all three of them (in the order DS1, 2, 3, 2, and currently replaying 1) I must say I enjoyed all three of them. But after replaying 2 and now DS1, and after reading te majority of this thread, I must admit that DS3 is by far the weakest. The level layouts and designs, the enemies and bosses are not bad, but the whole thing lacks what made the first, and to a somewhat lesser degree DS2 so outstanding: the opressive, almost dream-like atmosphere. Where's the Blighttown, Sen's Fortress, Tomb of Giants, Gutter, Shrine of Amana, Great Hollow, Darkroot Garden/Basin, Brume Tower, Shulva... I don't know. Dark Souls 3 is still a way above average game, but compared with its two predecessors (haven't played Demon's Souls) I must say it really feels like half-assed, dumbed down fan-service to cash in one last time as "the final entry in the now infamous super hardest vidya game series ever". It's still decent, but too many good things have been removed, probably in order to "play it safe". So many things are blatant, unoriginal rip-offs especially of Dark Souls 1, only worse.

As I said, still above average (which isn't that difficult to accomplish these days), but, dare I say it, it simply lacks the Soul.

Arnust

Savant
it simply lacks the Soul.
dhMeAzK.gif

Agree though. Except in that DS3 is some kind of neccessary evil. They could and should at least turn the fanservice crank to 1000% and go off with a blast. Istead of what it is, a fart that reminds of what you ate this morning.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Use protection, preferably Great in size and penetrate from the rear. E-Z.
If you could use Ariandel's and Friede's attacks against each other during 2d phase, I would call it almost (barely) a "fair" fight. That would make sense due to Song of Ice and Fire nature of the fight.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Backstab is 500 dmg for me. 2 hits from Lothric Longsword is 440. She has 6000 hp in 1st phase, and gains more hp with every phase (which screws the tempo of the fight).

Shield does fuck in 3d phase, really, it's mostly spells. Again, if her head cutting attack would remove say 50% hp instead of 90%, I would not be flying into orbit by the means of nuclear power of my burned ass.

The AoEs are already pretty insane in 2d phase, as I found myself often backstabbing her or fighting just to suddenly evaporate in the flames of big daddy or smashed with a bowl into the ground.

I mean, stylistically, I really like this fight. The idea of elegant and dastardly quick, fragile, poise breaking backstabby glasscannon with DPS over 9000 is different from any bosses before. 1st & 3d phase could have made the fight worth it alone. But as it is... I feel I am very much dependant on a roll of a dice in this one (except 1st phase which I go through reliably spending ~1 flask).

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I just don't feel I can ignore her with my 25 VIG&END (that's *with* the Prisoner's lol). It's easier to control big daddy since he's just more predictable (even if it's possible to riposte him).
Level 94, regular New Game.

I guess I'll try throwing some spells in 3d phase and hope on a lucky all-stamina combo to remove rest of her HP.

Shadenuat

Arcane
All of them I think, except DLC ones.

Lel, Affinity does 200 dmg... exactly same as Crystal Soul Mass - that dark weakness, eh? Black sword 300. With 50 INT and Court Sorcerer's staff +10.

Soul Mass/Affinity actually completely solves her invisibility trick, btw. But I can't say I have any trouble with it anyway.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah, he's in the pile of bodies in that big post on previous page I made

I really don't want to think about going through this game with a glass cannon. :)
The problem is, I am not even that. If I was a glasscannon and saw boss hp deplete really fast I wouldn' care about survivablity.

edit. upped my damage by 33% by switching to raw longsword +10 + Crystal Weapon. 600 for 2 hits instead of 400 with crystal astora longsword. 480 damage for 2 hits instead of 400 even *unbuffed*. and it weights pound less. game pls.

edit 2.
NO FUCK U. U DIE.
vdt3rX7.jpg
well what do I do... i guess i will have to farm 10 more raw gems. by myself

tyrion.gif

or maybe Sharp for split int/dex. All my weapons are good with Dex or Dex/Int.

edit.3

Respecced (ring of dexterity and chain are equipped):

daHw18J.jpg

Some more ATN and then INT all the way. Applied Sharp to all weapons.

edit.4

"take the plunge.
you wont die"

...game really go to hell.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
The odds look stacked firmly in your favor.
THIS IS FINE.

588 is not bad for a single hit in this fight
That's what I wanted to know. I take it everything but flourish on Estoc counts as Thrust, which dragon is weak against. Add a buff and you don't need a spear or greataxe. 1200 dmg with 3-4 pokes to the head in 3-4 seconds... not bad at all. Or 600 for 2 handed thrust.
The only problem is aiming.

polo

Magister
That's what I wanted to know. I take it everything but flourish on Estoc counts as Thrust, which dragon is weak against. Add a buff and you don't need a spear or greataxe. 1200 dmg with 3-4 pokes to the head in 3-4 seconds... not bad at all. Or 600 for 2 handed thrust.
Shiiiieeeet I'm not doing that much damage with a greatsword. Weak to thrust you say? I do have some +10 twin spears lying around. Time for round 7 you glorified gecko.
Use artorias greatsword dude.

polo

Magister
Shiiiieeeet I'm not doing that much damage with a greatsword. Weak to thrust you say? I do have some +10 twin spears lying around. Time for round 7 you glorified gecko.
Use artorias greatsword dude.
You mean the Astora Greatsword? Yeah I have that too but I stopped using it because it was kind of slow for my tastes.

Edit: or do you mean the swords you can transfuse from the Abyss Watchers? I understand those should do extra damage against dark.
That. It has like 20% bonus vs midir. When hitting the head is crazy.

Ivan

Arcane
Midir is garbage. Even when I defeated her I didn't feel vindicated. It felt more like pulling a thorn out of my skin (a thorn I stuck in in the first place)

The Decline

Arcane
I had to respec into a miracle build and throw lightning spears at his face while keeping my distance in order to beat him.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's not so hard.

Stay close to his face and try to bait him constantly. And that's it. It's an endurance fight.

Last edited:

Seaking4

Learned
Ya Midir becomes really easy if you just stand right in front of him. He has several attacks that are very easy to dodge (and that he uses often if you are standing in front of him). The only thing you really have to watch out for is his charge attack when he attacks like 6 times in a row and then does his tail spin. Also, his laser beam attack when he goes into grimdark mode can one shot you even if you have full health (with 40 vigor). But he rarely does that and it's pretty much game over once he does because you can riposte him right away if he does it.

I used the Wolf's Knight Greatsword (the Artorias one) on NG+ and it did good damage. The weapon art allows you to hit him several times quickly + the running jump attack is very useful because it does great damage + it has great range so if he uses his fire attack you can make sure you get him before he uses another attack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom