Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Hyperion

Arcane
If you like to PvP, The Ringed City is perfect - no longer have to get to NG++ for the best rings. Only exception is the Life Ring, I think. Gotta get that extra 4% of each stat.

Seaking4

Learned
I finished the Ashes of Ariendel DLC and man that is one mixed bag of a DLC. The level design, atmosphere, and final boss were pretty good but they absolutely botched about 99% of the enemy placement. It feels like they they just took 3 enemies and copy/pasted them several hundred times across the map and called it a day.

Friede was a good boss to end on. Reminds me of the Pontiff fight in that it's so much easier to win if you just block her attacks. I was having a bit of trouble until I used a greatshield.

Seaking4

Learned
Ok well apparently there is literally no difference between 31% equip load and 69% equip load. Kind of sad that I only found out about this right before the end of the 2nd DLC. Anyways, Havel's Greatshield + Favor/Chloranthy + 68% equip load = Gael absolutely destroyed :lol:. All you have to do is hold L1. What kind of decision was that? I genuinely thought that lower equip load led to higher stamina regen.

The second section of the Ringed City is pretty crazy with the distance between bonfires. Or at least it seems that way until you just run to other side. That other bonfire is well hidden too.

That summon an invader boss fight is stupid. That's all that needs to be said about that.

Silva

Arcane
At Gael now. As others said, Ringed City really brings back some good DS1 memories with its nicely spread bonfires. Found it awesome. On the other hand I couldn't care much for the lore, even if it's well maid. I think I prefer DLCs which lore complements well and is foreshadowed by the original game. Both Artorias of the Abyss and Old Hunters are perfect in this.

I've found the "real" Ringed City vista pretty neat (where you find Gael), with Lothric and Anor Londo ruins in the distance really capturing the world getting murky by the fading of fire. All in all a nice farewell to the series.

Arnust

Savant
D_X Yeah, that's what we get for basically paying for the DS1 Painted World with more padding. Oh, and this is the penultimate release of content for this series, ever. Cool, huh?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So I have different experience than D_X, I just went and killed Friede and thought that aside from the opening area with the wolves everything was perfectly fine and sufficiently filled with secrets. I like how the area is concise, yet seems quite larger due to how all the paths curve, and lots of views were quite gorgeous.

Question: will I be able to summon in the chapel for the fight down at the ice pit? At the pit there have been no summons for me so far, and in the chapel only 1 or 2, but that was for Friede.

Seaking4

Learned
I've been summoned in the chapel to help people in the fight below so yes it is possible but you do have to make your way down the trees and past the archers again if you want to do it that way. I'm quite certain you can't use the bonfire once you get down there if you want to keep the summon too so you might have better luck just waiting down there for a summon sign.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Thanks. I've also been summoned this way. Thing is, I killed Friede, so I don't know whether I'm not seeing the signs because of that, or because of current local coop inactivity.

Seaking4

Learned
The change of pace bosses are for the most part all right. It just gets annoyingly terrible when you get things like Bed of Chaos or Yhorm. Yhorm kind of falls into the same place as Ancient Wyvern where you either do it the 'right' way or no way at all. Although I didn't mind the Wyvern being a puzzle boss the way it is because it's very much so an optional boss but Yhorm was one of the more prominent bosses in the game so that was definitely disappointing.

I've been messing around with NG+ and aside from different soul items (which don't even have new or interesting descriptions), there is virtually no difference between NG and NG+. That's a bit of a disappointment. DS2 didn't change all that much but they did add enough things so that NG+ at least felt satisfying to play again. Just having something on par with the Freja encounter near the military camp or the Twin Pursuer fight in Drangleic Castle would have been more than enough to justify an NG+ playthrough.

Arnust

Savant
The change of pace bosses are for the most part all right. It just gets annoyingly terrible when you get things like Bed of Chaos or Yhorm. Yhorm kind of falls into the same place as Ancient Wyvern where you either do it the 'right' way or no way at all. Although I didn't mind the Wyvern being a puzzle boss the way it is because it's very much so an optional boss but Yhorm was one of the more prominent bosses in the game so that was definitely disappointing.

I've been messing around with NG+ and aside from different soul items (which don't even have new or interesting descriptions), there is virtually no difference between NG and NG+. That's a bit of a disappointment. DS2 didn't change all that much but they did add enough things so that NG+ at least felt satisfying to play again. Just having something on par with the Freja encounter near the military camp or the Twin Pursuer fight in Drangleic Castle would have been more than enough to justify an NG+ playthrough.
Also, they just ruined that "you get better rings yo" "how much exactly" "around an extra 1%" "neat" thing by just slapping all the most important rings an unique "+3" modifier and throwing then around The Ringed City in foolproof spots.

Hell, DS2 even had some of the "unneccesary" mechanics tied to NG+, like Bonfire Intensity thus Ascetics, upgrading drops, the Nil greatsword scaling with NG+ cycle, and beefing up some other boss encounter (very slightly so though). NG+ didn't fucking break bosses there, now you try and do Midir or some of the other most "hard" bosses in NG+ 2 or even +1 in a "normal" build. Or Artorias, for one.

Seaking4

Learned
Ya because of the Ringed City I already have Favor/Protection +3, Chloranthy +3, and Havel's Ring +3 so the upgraded rings mean nothing to me.

I have no desire to fight a NG+ Midir. I bet that's going to take forever. I'm barely doing more damage than I was before I started the NG+. I think I stopped leveling at 100 during NG and went up to 125 for NG+ but that doesn't translate to all that much damage. Although I looked up the NG+ health for the Friede fights and she barely gets more HP at all (assuming the website I was using has correct information) so maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Only really disagree with the 0 gimmick bosses one.

If anything, the game needs more gimmicky bosses not less. But I agree however with his idea that it completely fucking sucks the way the game behaves in some cases. Don't want to plunge attack the Wyvern and OHK it? Have fun hacking at it until the heat death of the universe asshole.

1st fix is also retardo material. Ds3 has an anor londo reveal, and it's anor londo again the irithyll reveal.

ds3 is the least good* soulborne game anyway.

*I have not played demons

Arnust

Savant
1st fix is also retardo material. Ds3 has an anor londo reveal, and it's anor londo again the irithyll reveal.
Ehh, I don't think you have as much as an impact. As he said, you're dropped in a huge gothic castle overlook in the first area. And you go to another huge gothic cathedral. You're now in another huge gothic castle overlook, it's just been snowing this time. And you haven't seen the sky in like two or three hours.

Seaking4

Learned
Well I guess you can do them in almost any order you want. You can kill Emma right so that lets you go straight to Lothric. And Yhorm/Aldritch can be done in either order. So the only one you are limited to is fighting the Abyss Watchers before Yhorm/Aldritch.

I still think Emma teleporting you out of the boss room (even if she is dead) is very un-souls like.

Edit: Disregard the top part. Apparently you need a key to access the Grand Archives so Lothric has to be done last. So the only deviation possible is Yhorm/Aldritch.

Arnust

Savant
Well I guess you can do them in almost any order you want. You can kill Emma right so that lets you go straight to Lothric. And Yhorm/Aldritch can be done in either order. So the only one you are limited to is fighting the Abyss Watchers before Yhorm/Aldritch.

I still think Emma teleporting you out of the boss room (even if she is dead) is very un-souls like.

Edit: Disregard the top part. Apparently you need a key to access the Grand Archives so Lothric has to be done last. So the only deviation possible is Yhorm/Aldritch.
Yeah, Gotthard's (blinking?) corpse with the key won't spawn until you are in the spot of being teleported to Emma. Still, you actually have to do everything. No skips. And the varying paths are atmost forkroads where you have to do the both ways forcably with no wrong choices; Cathedral/Farron and Yhorm/Aldrich, and speeding up to Upper Lothric if you somehow could do it at the start. The only things that are "non-linear" in this game is really just the optional content. The rest's quite the straight line.

Ivan

Arcane
Anor Londo is waaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated. Sure the vista is nice, but you get there and are presented with the lamest enemies of the title. Like 3 encounters with the same giant slow dudes. Plus you don't get to explore the city. It's just rafters.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The only points I agree from that video is adding more NG+ content (DS2 shenaningans), encourage more build diversity and holdable spells. Punish roll spaming could have been an interesting thing. The rest of points are a bunch of retarded tropes repeated over and over again. And FFS Anor londo in Ds is a lackluster. It's impresive the first time you see it but when you start to explore the area expecting the Undead burg 2.0 that it's initial cinematic promises you discover how underwelming that area actually is. Lothric castle is impressive right on front the start to the end, without any pretentiousness. And there's no problem about reversing the way of exploring areas.

Arnust

Savant
Anor Londo is waaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated. Sure the vista is nice, but you get there and are presented with the lamest enemies of the title. Like 3 encounters with the same giant slow dudes. Plus you don't get to explore the city. It's just rafters.
It's not as much about MUH FEELS as for the stark contrast with the rest of the game to that point. You've been in the literal mud until now.

Anyway, I think your game has a problem when an LP has a more satisfying ending.

Seaking4

Learned
Anor Londo is awesome the first time you go but it loses a bit of its luster on subsequent playthroughs. Still a good area overall though. Pretty much the last skill gate in the game too. Once you beat Orenstein and Smough there is little reason to have trouble anywhere else.

Arnust

Savant
"...a cold, dark and very gentle place" - paints a fucking home for cosmic abominations ripped straight out of Lovecraft's nightmares.

Yep, this is totally canon now.:positive:
For real, though. "Colored with the memories of your journey" would have really fitted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom