Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fair enough. It's a far cry from DS1 world.

Gentle Player

Arcane
Also, the beginning, if you don't want to go to the middle-game-boss-fight immediately, is kinda linear. Firelink -> Walls -> Undead Settlement -> Road of Sacrifices and only then you can branch a bit. Still, if you don't care about items you can run this quickly, yes...

Would have been better if Duke's Archives were not arbitrarily blocked for players who choose to tackle Dancer earlier. Also if the early Lothric Castle route was able to be accessed without the pointless slaughter of an NPC (which most players won't do without reading a guide). In DSII, particularly in Scholar (more de-stoning branches available earlier), players could head to Tseldora fairly early on without even completing the beginning areas, or they could buy the cat ring and drop down into the Gutter.

sullynathan

Arcane
There should have been a level in one of the souls games in which you complete a level upside down. Salt and Sanctuary has this and Castlevania had this decades ago.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Playing Salt&Sanctuary now and I AM having fun. I generally despise the idea of a grown man playing 2D platformers but I can indulge in one exception to the rule, if it's prestigious enough.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Demon's souls is the best?

imo no, I think DS3 is overall the best game in the franchise. But Demon's souls still being my favorite game of all of them, and still having things that remain unreacheable by the sequels. The level design, the world atmosphere, the non-pretencious narrative, the tendencies, mechanics like climbing mid-obstacles or enemies that can properly fly (Switching between "land" and "air" modes, not like the gargoyles in ds1 having an attack animation that raises the creature to the air while moving its wings for a second), the puzle-like bosses (One of them is blind and guides himself by the sound! How many things like that are in the franchise?). You can think in the possibility of these kind of things getting scraped because they didn't work properly or because they were buggy. But the thing is that all of those things worked properly, and they never got used them again in the sequels with no reason. Demon's souls it's the original proyect of Muhzaki in all it's glory. With mad decisions like making the game harder to players that die very often. A very risky game that's inimaginable by the current From standarts.

-------------------------

The half-backed metroidvania style of the DS1 world it's something that I hate more every time I play the game, and it's curious because even being my less favorite game of the franchise Dark souls is the entry that I played more. For me it's open world style works for no purpose. Every time you get out of the main line (Activating the bells, Sen's fortress, Anor londo) and you go through another way you are rewarded with a fabulous giant orange fog that avoid you from entering an area before the game tells you to do so. And when the game achieves that moment, it turns again in straight levels like in Demons, or like in its sequels. The only exception is going New londo ruins early, where you can find Kathee and his stuff. Also there's the senseless decision of making the bonfire teleport available at mid game instead of being available earlier, having you walking around through the levels all the first half of the game. Doing such fun things like going from the lower bell to Sen fortress all the way back either through blightown or through the valley of the drakes shortcut to New londo ruins just because someone think it was fun. While I apreciate a lot the coherence of the world in terms of art and atmosphere (The best in the franchise in that regard, probably), I completely understand why Muhzaki and his silver knights never tried to make a world like Lordran again. Because it's a lot of work for something that offers almost nothing to the Souls/dungeon crawler formula, that hardly can even compete with proper designed lineal levels like Demon's ones. Even Bloodborne which tried something similar is very different in its structure.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
If they truly cared to make DS3 into something amazing, legendary and special they would've created a DS1 world on steroids - one that completely wraps into itself in so many shocking ways to give us a raging hardon for a year, and not just a few pathetic drab shortcuts everyone could see coming from an AU away.

It's just another sign of their total disinterest in anything other than a competent rehash of old tropes without a shred of some extra effort to grab a fat fistful of quick moolah.
Playing DS3 I got the impression that Miyazaki and the team wanted to work on Bloodborne but were forced to make another Souls sequel. There's far too much of Bloodborne in DS3, to the detriment of the original mechanics of the game, giving it a bit of an identity crisis with itself, where the two halves are competing against each other, ruining the overall experience. DS3 would have been better served focusing solely on either the Bloodborne mechanics or the Souls mechanics, rather than this mismash of the two, where it's left weak on all fronts. I also missed the interconnectedness of DS1, where you realized over time how Firelink shrine was the epicenter of the world and could lead you nearly anywhere.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I'm confused too after receiving too much retardeds. Too low for my standards :M

Btw I started to play S&s yesterday too. The last time I played it was at launch, so I have the feel that they changed and added content. Left it against the mad alchemist. Its a easy boss but for some reason he always kills me a lot.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
D
I also missed the interconnectedness of DS1
Dark Souls is the only game like this, no other soulsborne game was intended to have this style of level design
And it was made better by the inclusion of such a feature, considering how often it's praised. Far batter than the teleportation feature of DS2 or DS3, which is just a cop out to prevent the need to create the superior world design of DS1.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Currently replaying as a sorcerer. Trying the new DLCs. Getting continuously trashed by Blackflame Friede. Good times.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Summons make it occasionally MUCH harder. I was forced to beat two brothers without summons.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
If with fixed you are refering to working like in ds1 then no, it's not fixed. Poise in ds3 works in his own way since the launch of the game. That famous "working as intented" line is literal. People thought that poise was "disabled" or not working properly back in time because it wasn't working like in previous games, but what really happened is that nobody knew it was a new system and how that system actually worked.

Summarized, what poise stat does is increase the defense of the "poise health". Poise it's only available in certain weapons with hyperarmor attacks (greatswords, greataxes... but not reduced to those "big" weapons). Increasing the poise with armor and certain items means to increase the number of hits (poise health) you can take while performing attacks with hyperarmor before getting staggered. You have 100 points of base Poise health. Getting hit decreases that number. If it reaches to 0, then you get staggered. It regenerates to 100 every 30 seconds. But you can increase that number with armor and rings. Not sure if I explained it correctly. Also, weapon skills, medium and heavy rolls have hyperarmor too.

There's a list with weapons with hyperarmor

• Ultra Greatswords (1H, 2H, WA)
  • Exception: Farron Greatsword (1H, 2H, WA)
  • Great Hammers (1H, 2H, WA)
  • Greataxes (1H, 2H, WA)
  • Exception: Great Machete (1H, 2H, WA)
  • Curved Greatswords (1H, 2H, WA)
  • Greatswords (2H, WA)
  • Halberds (2H, WA)
  • Exception: Halberd, Red Hilted Halberd (2H 2H R2, WA)
  • Hammers (2H, warcry, spin bash, perseverence WA)
  • Pikes (charge WA)
  • Straight Swords (stomp, stance, spin slash WA)
  • Axes (warcry, chain spin WA)
  • Scythes (neckswipe WA)
  • Onikiri & Ubadachi (WA)
  • Claws (WA)
  • Talismans (unfaltering prayer)

Last edited:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Have they fixed poise yet? I haven't played since I beat it near launch.
They will never fix it because it's "working as intended."
Goddamnit.
If with fixed you are refering to working like in ds1 then no, it's not fixed. Poise in ds3 works in his own way since the launch of the game. That famous "working as intented" line is literal. People thought that poise was "disabled" or not working properly back in time because it wasn't working like in previous games, but what really happened is that nobody knew it was a new system and how that system actually worked.

Summarized, what poise stat does is increase the defense of the "poise health". Poise it's only available in certain weapons with hyperarmor attacks (greatswords, greataxes... but not reduced to those "big" weapons). Increasing the poise with armor and certain items means to increase the number of hits (poise health) you can take while performing attacks with hyperarmor before getting staggered. You have 100 points of base Poise health. Getting hit decreases that number. If it reaches to 0, then you get staggered. It regenerates to 100 every 30 seconds. But you can increase that number with armor and rings. Not sure if I explained it correctly. Also, weapon skills, medium and heavy rolls have hyperarmor too.

There's a list with weapons with hyperarmor

• Ultra Greatswords (1H, 2H, WA)
  • Exception: Farron Greatsword (1H, 2H, WA)
  • Great Hammers (1H, 2H, WA)
  • Greataxes (1H, 2H, WA)
  • Exception: Great Machete (1H, 2H, WA)
  • Curved Greatswords (1H, 2H, WA)
  • Greatswords (2H, WA)
  • Halberds (2H, WA)
  • Exception: Halberd, Red Hilted Halberd (2H 2H R2, WA)
  • Hammers (2H, warcry, spin bash, perseverence WA)
  • Pikes (charge WA)
  • Straight Swords (stomp, stance, spin slash WA)
  • Axes (warcry, chain spin WA)
  • Scythes (neckswipe WA)
  • Onikiri & Ubadachi (WA)
  • Claws (WA)
  • Talismans (unfaltering prayer)
Great. What is it with nippon developers and making idiotic decisions?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I saved Siegward but made Greirat die because I went to Irithyll Dungeon first, not killing Pontiff Sullyvan, since I wanted to take on Creighton when I had a better character :-(

Silva

Arcane
Just finished reading the Blame! manga series (after watching the Netflix movie) and bros, I tell you, this should be next From game.

It's perfectly fitting, from the dark, ominous atmosphere, to the "deductive" character of it's setting and plot, it's like a sci-fi brother of Dark Souls.

Mozg

Arcane

It's also "disabled" in that that player poise is fully implemented in the engine just like the DS1 version, except a single boolean has been set to 0.

sullynathan

Arcane
Just finished reading the Blame! manga series (after watching the Netflix movie) and bros, I tell you, this should be next From game.

It's perfectly fitting, from the dark, ominous atmosphere, to the "deductive" character of it's setting and plot, it's like a sci-fi brother of Dark Souls.
Blame is so shit, it would probably be boring as hell in gameplay. Having a character with one overpowered gun. shit

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2

It's also "disabled" in that that player poise is fully implemented in the engine just like the DS1 version, except a single boolean has been set to 0.
...but isn't it so that the '0' means something else? What you're writing is what people have been thinking a year or so ago, but then after some testing it was discovered that during attacks that same boolean changes to 1 and in fact a quite complicated (for a game) calculation takes place involving the 'weapon size' etc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q4nzo42YTASrhROFVgad7uGEC94lstCdc0-83P49zBc/edit#gid=0

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

I would rather that From Software create something that's more of an RPG than Demon's/Dark Souls rather than less of an RPG. Licensing an existing intellectual property in order to use a pre-established character, setting, and plot seems unlikely to accomplish this and more likely to result in an action game. :M

Mozg

Arcane
I'd rather someone rip off Blame than actually license it. Just need the paperclip maximizer city, really; that's the best idea in there and doesn't have any Matrix stink on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom