Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ugh, finally started up Ringed City. Tbh I can't be bothered any longer with these protracted bazillion phase boss fights. The first two demons are doable but fuck the Demon Prince. Maybe I could beat him with 20 attempts like I beat the Dragonarmor or SoC but I just have no motivation to do that anymore. Tried five times, that's it.

Problem is there's not a fucking soul to summon and the NPC dude is useless. Do people not play the game anymore? Anyone feel like helping me with this bullshit boss? Thx bros.

sullynathan

Arcane
Ugh, finally started up Ringed City. Tbh I can't be bothered any longer with these protracted bazillion phase boss fights. The first two demons are doable but fuck the Demon Prince. Maybe I could beat him with 20 attempts like I beat the Dragonarmor or SoC but I just have no motivation to do that anymore. Tried five times, that's it.

Problem is there's not a fucking soul to summon and the NPC dude is useless. Do people not play the game anymore? Anyone feel like helping me with this bullshit boss? Thx bros.

Yeah, it's called getting good. Fucking casul

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eh, not so hard after all. 10 attempts. You just have to stay at his snout. But not much fun. By this point I just want to finish the DLC, since I paid for it, and be done with this game.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Alright so before even doing the rest of the DLC bosses I found Darkeater Midir.

The black dragon.

It's basically a mix of the older dragon's + Ebreitas charge attack + Amygdala's laser attack. Staying far just results in him spamming his fire or laser attacks. Staying undernearth or behind results in either tail swipes or him breathing into the ground.

Nope, the best spot to chill is right in his fucking face. Oh, and hitting his head deals double damage.

After like 15 deaths I finally got him to half-health before he got Dark And Edgy in his second phase and killed me.

The camera lock-on is sorta bullshit since it can cause his dash and swipes to dead-angle you when you block but overall this isn't too bad of a fight.

DragoFireheart

So what exactly am I feeling?

When I've gone back to Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 (to a lesser extent) and, mostly, Bloodborne, I have fun and get excited.

But when I play Dark Souls 3 I feel... almost bored. Like I feel as though I'm obligated to play it rather than playing it for fun. More so now with the DLC.

The most fun I have is when I co-op/invade as a mad phantom. But beyond that? I don't enjoy it like the older games.

Why?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I feel the same. Why? Easy. There's nothing new or surprising in DS3, just rehashed old tropes. Those tropes are still good so I keep playing but ultimately the experience is shallow and forgettable, the exact opposite of what Souls games have always been about.

It's like fucking your pretty wife....you've been married to for 20 years.

DragoFireheart

I feel the same. Why? Easy. There's nothing new or surprising in DS3, just rehashed old tropes. Those tropes are still good so I keep playing but ultimately the experience is shallow and forgettable, the exact opposite of what Souls games have always been about.

It's like fucking your pretty wife....you've been married to for 20 years.

Yup... it's a symptom of series burnout.

I'm sorta hoping they don't make a sequel to Bloodborne. I think it's the perfect game among the rest of the Fromsoft soulsy games.

yep it is such a bad game that by the 2018 you will be begging From for another quick cash grab be it DS4 or some space souls. there is nothing similar to those games on the market and next AAA action rpg is probably some shitshow from bioware or bethesda

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
DS3 was designed as a last game in series, they added stuff to make it similar to areas from previous games. So I doubt they would make another one.

Perhaps they should be forced to update them, better textures and higher fidelity in DS would be nice.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
there is nothing similar to those games on the market and next AAA action rpg is probably some shitshow from bioware or bethesda

There's Surge, which looks just as crushingly average as Lords of the Fallen, and Code Vein, drippping with weeb.

The future is dire. At least we have the next Miyazaki project to look forward (inb4 it's another mech bullshit, or even worse, some super heavy weeb crap).

DragoFireheart

Alright so I just beat Darkeater Midir. Level 90 was my characters level.

Honestly, this was probably the best dragon boss in the series. The fight was fun, couldn't be rushed, required actually learning the boss and timing your blocks/dodges.

Midir certainly helped make the DLC worthwhile. Sadly I beat him with a strength character so I can't go all weeboo with him.

there is nothing similar to those games on the market and next AAA action rpg is probably some shitshow from bioware or bethesda

There's Surge, which looks just as crushingly average as Lords of the Fallen, and Code Vein, drippping with weeb.

The future is dire. At least we have the next Miyazaki project to look forward (inb4 it's another mech bullshit, or even worse, some super heavy weeb crap).

There's Nioh, a game that isn't even on par with the best of the Souls series, but it's good enough to prove that the problem is not the formula.

yep it is such a bad game that by the 2018 you will be begging From for another quick cash grab be it DS4 or some space souls. there is nothing similar to those games on the market and next AAA action rpg is probably some shitshow from bioware or bethesda

I do want another game by FromSoftware, but a proper one this time, not the regurgitated bullshit that is Dark Souls 3.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok in the end I like Ringed City, mostly thanks to the area between Ringed Inner Wall and Ringed City Streets. For me personally one of the most memorable areas ever.

Went through it like ten fucking times, kept dying to fat dudes, cursing dudes, fall damage, invaders you name it. The more you die the more impatient you are the more you die, you know the drill. Ok, 11th attempt finally cleared all mobs, including SIX FUCKING FATMEN, all the fire knights and all the trash. 3 estus left. Now where the fuck is the damn bonfire. Arrived to the swamp, seeing some insect things and a giant fucking dude in the distance. Nope, first I gotta find the bonfire. So I go left, climb the ladder, kill one knight, 2 estus left. Oh fuck another one? Is this ever gonna end? Killed him too.

Where is that goddamn bonfire? The path up the mountain with the entrance in the distance looks promising. Just no more knights plz. Oh shit, an invader, are you kidding me? Red phantom slapped me around a bunch but I prevailed. Got a nice hammer too. BUT NO BONFIRE! 1 estus left.

Oh well gotta go back to the swamp and keep looking. So I creep along, avoiding large groups and carefuly sniping the rest with my trusty Millwood Bow. There's the end of the swamp but still no bonf.... A DRAGONSLAYER ARMOR ARE YOU HONESTLY KIDDING ME NOW? Boys I played like I'd never played before. Two-handing my invincible FUGS my rolling was on point. I was shitting myself but eventually I got him, with zero estus left and half HP. So it's not the real Dragonarmor or he'd have smashed my face.

Still no bonfire and I'm not gonna mess with that big dude. So circle back where I came from, past the entrance to the swamp and keep looking along the other wall. The mama insect thing at the stairwell even managed to grab me, bitch. Well you can imagine what I felt when I climbed those stairs with like 10% HP and found the Ringed City Streets bonfire.

This, this is exactly why I've always loved DS. The dread, the adrenalin, looking for the next bonfire with no estus and half HP. It's also rare, the magic happens only once per game per bonfire, unless you suffer amnesia. I realized how fucking criminal the bonfire distribution in DS3 vanilla really is. What a gigantic difference it makes if you can't see the previous bonfire from your next.

cruel

Cipher
What cvv described is probably the essence of Souls series magic. I still remember similar feeling when playing blind and finally reaching Blighttown swamp bonfire, or accidentally reaching bonfire in Tomb of the Giants.

By the way, cvv, how can you live liking those series so much and not playing Bloodborne or Demon's souls? I bought PS4 just for Bloodborne and don't regret it at all, and now there is Nioh also

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
By the way, cvv, how can you live liking those series so much and not playing Bloodborne or Demon's souls? I bought PS4 just for Bloodborne and don't regret it at all, and now there is Nioh also

Problem is I've seen several LP's of DeS and BB already and I kindda know all the secrets and bonfire locations and shit. That's half the fun gone plus I'd really use it just for one game (PS3 for DeS and PS4 for BB). Nioh doesn't interest me at all.

I'll most likely buy PS4 if the next Miyazaki thing is an exclusive again and if it's not some mecha dumbfuckery or some such.

I'm pretty sure the next From/Muhzaki project will be a new Armored Core. I like AC, it's an alright popamoleish mech game with some ok customization. The Xbox360/PS3 AC installments were pretty shit though.

Frame Gride for the Dreamcast was hella cool though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
One thing I've always REALLY fucking disliked in Souls games is the "community" nature of some puzzles. Since my wee gamer days playing adventures and old RPGs I've been conditioned with the self-evident fact that consulting guides or walkthroughs is for retards and losers, that you always have to do your best to solve the puzzle yourself. That's actually a whole point of playing a game - to play it yourself, not letting other people play it for you.

But there are puzzles in Souls games you simply do not solve yourself. Like the "show your humanity" shit. The only way people figure this out is by accident - fooling around in PvP, playing chameleon with the invader. But first, you have to stand in the water, and second, you can transform into any number of things - I've transformed into a crystal first, a cross second and the humanity only on the third go.

There are a few puzzles like that across the series, can't think of any right now but you know what I mean.

I suppose the design philosophy here is "someone in the world figures it out eventually and then post it on the interwebz and other people will google it". I get it. But it's retarded and I hate it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom