Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Arnust

Savant
They did add the revive the boss mechanic... for the PvP fight. I mean, it's awesome to farm souls, fight bitches and get the covenant rewards if playinf offline. But that's even cruel for them to restrict it to that single boss.

Fuck, I'd love to fight Champion Gundyr over and over.

Malpercio

Arcane
Gael is not bad, Midir is a shit fight but it's OK when Memezaki does it (Ancient Dragon).

Also all bosses suck as a mage.

Arnust

Savant
And Ancient Dragon had a lot of strats for him. Midir? Yeah dodge the crazy wailing moves aight.

Sentinel

Arcane
Finished the DLC. 2 shit fights (Midir and Demon Prince), but that's no surprise, since fights against large beasts are always struggles against the camera, not the creature itself. Gael was pretty cool however, even if he wasn't really hard, I really enjoyed it.
Wanted Primordial Serpents or Velka, didn't get either. Pretty lackluster DLC from a lore standpoint, and terrible ending as well.
Afterwards I tried fucking around with the new weapons and invade some, but then I was immediately reminded of why I had quit DS3. Invading is a proper pain in the fucking butt. Every host has bluefags + 3 phantoms with insta chugging + seed of a tree of giants + they can just keep summoning in more phantoms. Real shame that FromSoft completely ruined the online component of the game because of normie casuals complaining about invasions.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
From Software has been very quiet lately, I wonder what they are working on.
http://wccftech.com/miyazaki-dark-souls-series-done-games-interesting/

if dork souls is such a blessed franchise, why the fuck did you not fix shit thats been plauging the series since dork souls 1, yellow man? toxic mist/acid being useless, ninja stepping dogs, rolling as a dodge mechanic, 375 different weapons in the game but only 3 beings viable, all of them being single handed straightswords, the camera being the true antagonist, RUINING PVP etc.

in all honest dork souls is pretty shit. never even implemented a day/night cycle, or a weather system. fuckin lazy cocksucker japs. meanwhile the dickbiter fanbase is jizzing over the lore implications of a missing texture on the letter D in the main menu WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
if dork souls is such a blessed franchise, why the fuck did you not fix shit thats been plauging the series since dork souls 1, yellow man? toxic mist/acid being useless, ninja stepping dogs, rolling as a dodge mechanic, 375 different weapons in the game but only 3 beings viable, all of them being single handed straightswords, the camera being the true antagonist, RUINING PVP etc.

in all honest dork souls is pretty shit. never even implemented a day/night cycle, or a weather system. fuckin lazy cocksucker japs. meanwhile the dickbiter fanbase is jizzing over the lore implications of a missing texture on the letter D in the main menu WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Drunk soul?

Villagkouras

Arcane
Replaying this game to reach both DLCs and I appreciate it much more than the first time. It definitely is viable to play without too much rolling, like the first two games. God, I love this series.

Also due to patches framerate is largely improved for my R7 260X with only a few graphical compromises.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

Drunk soul?

no i just get really crazy after a good shake weight session

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Well, Ringed City is at least better than AoA, not that it's a particularly high bar to clear. Overall, the Dreg Heap feels like padding, as if they couldn't be bothered to develop enough new assets, but still wanted to hit a particular play time for the whole thing. I didn't mind the angels as an idea, but the swamp did a poor job of indicating where you could move safely without dying to the angel - because this is DS3, so of course you die if you screw that up. These kinds of immediately lethal environmental hazards should always be clear about what is and what isn't a safe space - bridge dragons are a good example of that. Demon Prince was a fine boss, though of course they had to give him a filler phase 1 to waste everyone's time.

City itself looks very nice, and the ghost-summoning dudes are a cool idea, though making them respawn serves no purpose other than wasting time, imo. The level itself is very linear unfortunately, though at least it has some well-designed enemies placed quite intelligently. The church bossfight is a complete non-event. The ending sequence is really cool, and Gael is an awesome boss, comparing very favorably to Artorias - he's similarly not that difficult, but cool as hell and fun to fight. Midir I've tried a couple times and I honestly can't be bothered with - seems like Ancient Dragon, except about twice as annoying. Maybe someday, when I feel masochistic enough.

But yeah, the more I play this game the less I enjoy its particular design philosophy. I partially blame the fanbase as well, it's them who told From the best thing about DS was the amazing combat and extreme difficulty. For better or worse, DS3 is a result of them focusing on these things, I think.

i wonder how much longer will retards bitch about shitty ending in this dlc.

for fuck sake the final boss to DS games is Soul of Cinder not fucking Gael. Neither manus nor orphan of kos or ivory king were final bosses and they did not have anything significant to do with games endings.

we already have 4 four endings in base game with at least two of them being very conclusive.

so far every single dlc from software made was a fuckng sidequest that shed some light on existing lore but also provided even more questions. ringed city is exactly that. we get to know more about pygmies lords, painted worlds,the very begining of that world and that gwyn was a faggot and a liar.
expecting myazacki to come up with some shitty behind the scene villain for the grand finale would be cliche and awful.

primordial serpents are dead and velka was nothing more than flavour text for some random items. deal with it :M

Arnust

Savant

for fuck sake the final boss to DS games is Soul of Cinder not fucking Gael. Neither manus nor orphan of kos or ivory king were final bosses and they did not have anything significant to do with games endings.

we already have 4 four endings in base game with at least two of them being very conclusive.

so far every single dlc from software made was a fuckng sidequest that shed some light on existing lore but also provided even more questions. ringed city is exactly that. we get to know more about pygmies lords, painted worlds,the very begining of that world and that gwyn was a faggot and a liar.
expecting myazacki to come up with some shitty behind the scene villain for the grand finale would be cliche and awful.
primordial serpents are dead and velka was nothing more than flavour text for some random items. deal with it :M
Oh yeah, " real final boss". Go and kill it right now. It has like 5000HP with no defense. It's a complete chump, ESPECIALLY compared with TRC bosses. If it really was the final boss, maybe not make it such a joke and have it have more to it than HURR DURR AGLOMERATION?

It's not even about what happens. It's about SOMETHING happening. The only thing you get is the Painter Girl throwing a couple of lines (some meme potential aight) and bam, that's it. In DS1 all the NPCs there had extra dialogue. In DS2 you got (amd all across) one of the best conversations of the series, a quite nifty buff (vendrick's blessing) and a nice cutscene. DS3 basically goes "yeah, sod off"

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pyromancy is fun so far (just killed Sulyvahn). I'm a bit starved for stat points but the spells hit very hard now and if all else fails my Raw ASS still dishes out high damage. Are there any must have armor pieces? I'm still wearing the starting set plus the Pyromancy related rings. Next up is rescuing Karla.

sullynathan

Arcane
What? Who actually gives a fuck about NPC lines?
Jackie-Chan-surprised.jpg

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Finished it last night (100% achievements!).

I think the final bosses in "Ringed City" are fine (I actually liked that the last one was just an NPC), but the DLC was very light on lore. Or at least exciting lore. Ashes of Arandiel was really short, but it was anchored around the twist regarding Friede, so it felt like it had a bit more going for it in terms of lore. In Ringed City, some stuff happens, then it ends. As with most Dark Souls lore, I no doubt missed 75% of it my first play through, but it didn't seem like it had much going for it in terms of lore.

As to the DLC itself, it seemed like it was designed to be self-consciously challenging. It seemed like a grab bag of "What if we tried this?" type ideas that the designers came up with throughout the series, but never bothered trying to make work until now. So I think some of it is rough around the edges and the gameplay can be way more "Trial and error until you find the right path" than Souls has been in the past as a consequence. It was very hard at points, with a couple boss fights that started to stretch beyond "challenging" and just become "too long." Still, it had some really unique gimmicks (the arrow dudes, the boss fight that is basically just a single PVP player who can't use estus, but is buffed in various other ways), so if you are into Dark Souls you will want to play it regardless. But it's definitely nowhere near the high water mark of the Dark Souls 2 DLC. More on the level of Dark Soul's 1's DLC.

Also, none of the boss fights in Ringed City are as good as Friede. As I said, they tend to stretch on way too long, where Friede was just right: about 8 minutes, 3 phases, with each phase being very different.

Anyhow, done with Souls for the immediate future, unless I give in and finally decide to pick up the "Scholar of the First Sin" version of DS2. Still haven't played it. But I've played the original DS2 up to NG+++, so not sure if I am ready to replay the whole thing.

Last edited:

Oh yeah, " real final boss". Go and kill it right now. It has like 5000HP with no defense. It's a complete chump, ESPECIALLY compared with TRC bosses. If it really was the final boss, maybe not make it such a joke and have it have more to it than HURR DURR AGLOMERATION?

It's not even about what happens. It's about SOMETHING happening. The only thing you get is the Painter Girl throwing a couple of lines (some meme potential aight) and bam, that's it. In DS1 all the NPCs there had extra dialogue. In DS2 you got (amd all across) one of the best conversations of the series, a quite nifty buff (vendrick's blessing) and a nice cutscene. DS3 basically goes "yeah, sod off"
:lol:

gwyn is complete chump compared to manus.

nashandra is complete pushover compared to Sihn, Alone or Ivory King.

Orphan of Kos rapes Moon Presence.

Since when difficulty decides who is the final boss ?

which of the npcs in DS1 had new dialogues after you killed Manus ? You could get new cutscene with Sif but you still have to kill him.

Agreed on DS2 but it is special case with how fucked up its development was and how much shit was cut, moved, changed etc. DS2 really needed those dlcs and re-release/SotFS edition. It is also very different and more personal story.

DS3 could live without those two dlcs and would be pretty much self contained story if a bit repetitive .

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
As I said, they tend to stretch on way too long, where Friede was just right: about 8 minutes, 3 phases, with each phase being very different.

U wot? 8 fucking minutes for a boss fight is supposed to be the new norm? That's some extreme DS3 Stockholm Syndrome. And TRC bossfights take nowhere near as long as Friede (except the demons if you play very defensively in the first phase, I guess?). In fact, it's Gael who is a perfect example of how to do a 3 phase bossfight right - the whole fight is fun and varied, and takes under 5 minutes to complete.

Arnust

Savant

:lol:

gwyn is complete chump compared to manus.

nashandra is complete pushover compared to Sihn, Alone or Ivory King.

Orphan of Kos rapes Moon Presence.

Since when difficulty decides who is the final boss ?

which of the npcs in DS1 had new dialogues after you killed Manus ? You could get new cutscene with Sif but you still have to kill him.

Agreed on DS2 but it is special case with how fucked up its development was and how much shit was cut, moved, changed etc. DS2 really needed those dlcs and re-release/SotFS edition. It is also very different and more personal story.

DS3 could live without those two dlcs and would be pretty much self contained story if a bit repetitive .
- Gwyn and Nashandra, while they could indeed be a chip harder (also you are lying if Gwyn didn't cost you the first time ever), they have a point and never are sold like uber badasses. The first is a burned out shell, Hollowed remnant of a so called "god", weakened in the first place. Nashandra is the weakest of the Daughters of the Abyss/Shards of Manus, and so she longs for power. But at the end of it, she can't take away the Giant's Kinship from you and so she can't win.
Dunno about Bloodborne's.

The thing is, that the Soul of Cinder is supposed to be the aglomeration of ALL Lords across ALL time and space. It appears on the cover art, on thumbnails and it'd be in the main menu if DS didn't do the black background thing. It shows NO weakness, and supposedly it could morph into Yhorm and stomp your ass, Aldritch and fill the arena with the infamous arrow attack or just be a hundred more of them like the Abyss Watchers were. It's not a bump, it's not a mercy kill. It's pictured like an apotheosic final bang and it just falls over after 10 combos or so.

- Dusk:
Using "Talk" option after defeating Manus
  1. This may strike thine ear as somewhat peculiar, but…
    Long ago, in my homeland of Oolacile, I was beset by a creature of the Abyss.
    I would have perished then, were it not for the great knight Artorias.
    In truth, I saw little of what transpired, for mine senses were already fled!
    But even still, there was something about Artorias… A certain balance of the humours…
    …That quite perfectly fits your semblance.
    Heavens, could it be that…

Oh, dear me. That was Oolacile, many centuries ago.
    Please excuse my fanciful musings.
  2. Excuse me for such whimsical utterances.
    Only, it was so very odd…
    You, and Artorias. I owe my life to each of you. And both seem to share some resonance of sorts…
    Perhaps it is the nature of true greatness.
  3. I still think on that creature from the Abyss that preyed upon me.
    My faculties were far from lucid, but I quite clearly sensed certain emotions.
    A wrenching nostalgia, a lost joy, an object of obsession, and a sincere hope to reclaim it…
    Could these thoughts belong to the beast from the Abyss?
    But if that were true, then perhaps it is no beast after all?
    Oh, please forgive my ramblings.
    It's just that, I wish to know the truth.
    And no one, not even loving Elizabeth, will tell me.

1. Elizabeth
  • Speak to her after defeating Manus
    I have awaited thee.
    Thou hast rescued Princess Dusk.
    …and rid us of that terrible primeval human.
    Even halting the spread of the Abyss!
    I salute the grandeur of thine enterprise.
    Please, allow me to express my gratitude.
    I thank thee…as do we all.
  • Using "talk" option after defeating Manus
    I will remember thee, but I will keep thy story to myself.
    This is the best way, for thou art come from a time far ahead.
    No-one will sing they praises, but yet thy greatness shall live on.
    For it shall be my purpose, to remember all thou hast done for us.
That I know of.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I just looked up the quest resolution for Lapp, and it made me sick. I never thought that fromsoft would resort to something this disgusting.
I'm nauseous. Send ambulance.

Oh man, just went through the quest myself, didn't expect it to be THIS bad. Makes me want to puke as well.
What the fuck is wrong with from?
Miyazaki

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
As I said, they tend to stretch on way too long, where Friede was just right: about 8 minutes, 3 phases, with each phase being very different.

U wot? 8 fucking minutes for a boss fight is supposed to be the new norm? That's some extreme DS3 Stockholm Syndrome. And TRC bossfights take nowhere near as long as Friede (except the demons if you play very defensively in the first phase, I guess?). In fact, it's Gael who is a perfect example of how to do a 3 phase bossfight right - the whole fight is fun and varied, and takes under 5 minutes to complete.

I never timed them, so 8 minutes is my estimate. I have no idea what the time actually is. I also did Ringed City for the first time on NG++, which maybe contributed to the boss fights feeling endless, as I imagine they had more HP.

But, regardless of time, I did prefer Friede to Gael. I know some hate that fight, but Friede might be my favorite fight in all of DS3.....I'd have to think, though. There are lots of other "fun" fights in Ds3 that aren't necessarily a challenge. Pontiff Solyvyn, Aldrich, and Dragon Knight Armor are all fun, but for me that's partially just because they were hard the first time I did them and took lots of effort to beat, but once I got good at them they became easily beatable, so that I enjoyed beating them immensely in NG+ and NG++ just because I felt awesome.

Some of the other fights are fun in theory, but a pain to play (I don't think I ever mastered Nameless. He's great fun Co-OP, but I never mastered him solo. Same with the second incarnation of the game's first boss in the alternate Fire Link Shrine area, whose name escapes me at the moment. I'd always have to use the computer NPC summon to get past him).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom