Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

How twitch-reliant are the DLC bosses compared to the base game?
first one is hard but doable.pretty cool monster fight. killed him using UGS
second one is either online against other player or offline against npc. a toss-up
third one is optional. you really have to learn his patterns and bait certain attacks or you will rage quit. too much health and as always in giant monster fights shitty camera.can two shot you if you are not embered.
last one is artorias on steroids. shit is so cash

i would say they are similar to the base game. they dont feel like taken from bloodborne like third phase of friedes fight but i havent used a shield since my first DS run in 2012 so i roll a lot all the time :shittydog:

Vorark

Erudite
So, do you guys recommend both DLCs or should I skip them? I thought base DS3 was alright, despite the mobs being harder than the bosses. :shittydog:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
So, do you guys recommend both DLCs or should I skip them? I thought base DS3 was alright, despite the mobs being harder than the bosses. :shittydog:

If you have to ask, probably not. They aren't DS2 level DLC that are better than the main game. At best they are more of the same. If you are willing to pay 20 dollars for more of the same, go ahead.

Hyperion

Arcane
At least the bosses are harder than the regular monsters this time around*. As far as we know, it's the swan song of the series, you may as well see it to the end at this point.

*Based solely on Ashes, I haven't played TRC yet because I figure it'll be the last Souls content we get for awhile. May as well stretch it out into another playthrough later to keep the yearning at bay, even though they'll likely have an E3 announcement to get everyone's dick rock hard with a vague, yet badass trailer.

vmar

Savant

I think they're both worth playing, AoA feels like it was designed by the DS2 team in a lot of places, like others have said, but it has 1 excellent boss. I really enjoyed almost everything about Ringed City except for the optional boss which just pissed me off more than anything. I'd recommend playing both of them.

Ivan

Arcane
I have the impression DS3 DLCs are the shortest in the series. How long is this new one?
New one is larger than Arotrias of the Abyss. It feels equal to 2 of DS2's DLCs combined.

I replayed DS3 in lieu of the DLCs being released. I forgot how static its environments are. And I also really dislike the speed of the combat, considering that you have no poise at all, whereas enemies seem to.

The DLCs were pretty damn cool. The first features a great final boss, cool level design, but poor enemies (bro above who said that you had a neat town layout populated with weak enemies that pose very little threat). The "secret" bottom area is a wasted opportunity (3 crabs, WOW FUN!) and a pretty awful boss fight that feels like one of DS 2's throwaywas

The 2nd DLC feels larger and more linear. The lazer enemy, as everyone is calling them, is a pain in the ass since it spams its beams without reprieve. The Ringed Knights are a cool enemy, as are the headless tree men, though they are overused by the swamp area. Bosses here are also very solid, beautiful environments too. Probably savored the Dragon victory the most, didn't take too many tries TBH. I just had to switch from my Uchigatana to something heavier.

In the end, Dark Souls 3 feels like it enjoys being in 1's shadow and for that reason Bloodborne feels like the real sequel and warrants your time more than this.

pics:
53A79BA3422B15BD086F850DCDB83AD7A8FE097A

1B0673F22DD6A2BBF7A140431A9E27313C0FED87

33ACEE0F4A37403E41D40053E0EB3BDD9CA45A7D

ACAF751D5FF641ECAC5CF5F513A9A9D4042A547D

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Ivan, your sense of fashion...where did it all go wrong? Brass helmet, white armor, no gloves with your Betty White arms showing, and black leggings. Disgusting!

bataille

Arcane
I won't lie, I didn't overcome the last enemy again. Fought him for an hour and a half, almost won 2 times, but the cloak attacks kept disrupting my concentration so consistently that it shattered my will to smithereens.
So I decided to find the Club of the Defeated. To join it, you need to give up entirely and go hollow, like I did. Everyone's welcome!

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

AoA feels like it was designed by the DS2 team in a lot of places.

It feels like a halfhearted cashgrab, which would indicate the DS3 team to me. I can only dream of what the people who made DS2 DLCs could accomplish with DS3's environmental artists...

Mortmal

Arcane
I have the impression DS3 DLCs are the shortest in the series. How long is this new one?
It takes 3 hours to finish it , barely.Quality is on par with previous DLC, small but everything is good . Special mention to one of the boss fight who summon pvp players to help.

bataille

Arcane
I just looked up the quest resolution for Lapp, and it made me sick. I never thought that fromsoft would resort to something this disgusting.
I'm nauseous. Send ambulance.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Has magic changed significantly since release (mostly for PvE purposes)? I might give one of the magic schools a shot in my upcoming playthrough. But I remember a lot of complaints from back then that it was pretty useless compared to the previous games.

Silva

Arcane
Has magic changed significantly since release (mostly for PvE purposes)? I might give one of the magic schools a shot in my upcoming playthrough. But I remember a lot of complaints from back then that it was pretty useless compared to the previous games.
Pyro is strong as hell and makes most bosses redundant after you get Chaos Vestiges (which my son lovingly calls Rasen-Shuriken) and Black Orb. Don't know about Sorcery and Miracles.

In my NG play through I turned my pyro into a Londor Hexer-fighter by getting all dark magics and using only dark weapons like Onyx, Morion and Drifter. So far its more challenging than pure pyro while still being strong. I like it. All hail Kaathe!

Arnust

Savant
6223E7593202F8F6C2150E93BF6D633F6C8FD20D

This guy... He's my main build. 66 STR, the rest goes into Vit, End and Vig. Gettin some Attunement for extra mana and maybe some light miracles in the future. With that exact weight, I can replace a ring for the Havel's +3 and use the heaviest weapons like the Ledo Great Hammer, Fume UGS, Dragonslayer Machete, the edgy new Paired UGS... Has the Millwood Bow or the War Banner as sidearms.

And being a Spear of the Church, it's double awesome to switch weapons mid fight. Plus it means a victory if well done. And in PvP in general, of course. While this DLC was pretty eh when it came with closure and story, the new gear is pretty rad.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pyro is strong as hell and makes most bosses redundant after you get Chaos Vestiges (which my son lovingly calls Rasen-Shuriken) and Black Orb. Don't know about Sorcery and Miracles.

In my NG play through I turned my pyro into a Londor Hexer-fighter by getting all dark magics and using only dark weapons like Onyx, Morion and Drifter. So far its more challenging than pure pyro while still being strong. I like it. All hail Kaathe!

Sounds good, Pyromancer it is.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ruin helm, Desert sorceress set, Earthen peak (ruins) :incline:

Can almost forgive them for everything else because of the ds 2 stuff

Vorark

Erudite
The reception has been a bit lackluster for Ashes and Ringed City. Don't think the season pass is worth its current price, better wait for a generous discount.

Can't use these tiny icons to thank you guys, so take this makeshift :bro: instead.

Ivan

Arcane
Now that the series is done, here are some of my highlights, lowlights, and takeaways.

-Dark Souls is at its best when you can't see what's around the corner. You progress inch by inch, charting your way, all the while facing new foes that slowly whittle away at your precious Estus Flask. Finally, you find a shortcut that cleverly takes you back to an earlier checkpoint.
-I feel that the game suffers when it presents a flat landscape, since it gives you full view of your foes lying in wait, which can be cleverly/cheaply picked apart by players provoking them piecemeal.
-Dual Bosses are great only when they complement each other, not when they feel like individual entities that can charge you at the same time. It's for this reason that Friede and Darklurker are such exceptional boss fights and why Orsntein and Smough are so infamous.
-While the Souls Games feel like ARPG survival dungeon crawlers, Bloodborne feels more like an ARPG spectacle fighter. I'm not convinced that DS3 benefited from increasing the tempo of its combat.
-My favorite looking armor is easily the Drakeblood Set and my favorite build has always been high Dex bro w/no magic and no shield.
-While I did want the series to try another gauntlet akin to the descent into Blighttown, I like that it stands alone as a perilous journey that must be traversed before access to bonfire warping

Bring on Bloodborne 2 :)

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I agree with the level design aspects you talk being dark souls strengths.

From Software has been very quiet lately, I wonder what they are working on. I'd like a new armored core with more budget and well put together single player campaign.

Ivan

Arcane
pretty much confirmed:
-Bloodborne 2
-Armored Core
-New Miyazaki IP

as I didn't struggle so much w/ Gael, the Freide fight is all I can really think about. This is so good:

I really wish DS3 had kept the bonfire ascetics from 2, at the very least JUST to replay your favorite boss fights. I'd love to fight Gael and Freide again.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom