Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

TheGreatOne

Arcane
:deadhorse: do something new for a change. A sci-fi souls game. Or here's a novel concept: something else than an action RPG. Why not turn Armored Core into a turn based strategy and give it as much depth and thought as Souls games? Nah, let's just milk the cow till its dry.

Riskbreaker

:deadhorse: do something new for a change. A sci-fi souls game. Or here's a novel concept: something else than an action RPG.
I'd still like to see them do a new first person action RPG.

Anyway, as much as I loved Demon's & Dark Souls, right now I'm pretty fed up with both Souls derivatives and From themselves.
But hey, now that they finally became successful mainstream gaming's darlings, of course they will continue to milk the formula that gave them that status.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
:deadhorse: do something new for a change. A sci-fi souls game. Or here's a novel concept: something else than an action RPG. Why not turn Armored Core into a turn based strategy and give it as much depth and thought as Souls games? Nah, let's just milk the cow till its dry.

Yeah, damn those bastards for staying true to the working 'souls' concept and not drifting away from it like 95 % of developers do.

Athelas

Arcane

Yeah, damn those bastards for staying true to the working 'souls' concept and not drifting away from it like 95 % of developers do.
You must mean 5% of developers. Between annual releases of Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, there's no shortage of developers staying true to a successful concept.

Riskbreaker

More like, vast majority of developers will rather to stick to a working, commercially successful and critically acclaimed concept instead of drifting away from it and trying to do something new and risky.
I don't blame From for tying themselves to a successful formula, it makes all the sense in the world for them to do so, but I can still be disappointed.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

You must mean 5% of developers. Between annual releases of Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, there's no shortage of developers staying true to a successful concept.

I try to shut my self away from the "shitty, albeit successful school of game design". There's still plenty of examples of dev's abandoning once proven concepts and going full retard.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I will pay attention to whatever they will do next, as long as it is an RPG. The Souls series is my favourite in their catalog, but Lost Kingdoms as Enchanted Arms were both pleasant, too.

Martius

Liturgist
What about Ninja Blade 2? Just this time it could be decent at least.

Gozma

Arcane
I'm still not sick of 'em, gameplay wise. The "wistful depression" tone is getting old and I have no hurtbox for further Maiden in Black style tragic waifus

With (potentially) Muhzaki back at the helm, can we finally get muh hitboxes xD???
Can someone explain me the meme?

People prefer to blame the game instead of figuring out game mechanics. Muhzaki fanboys especially love ignoring the fact that every Souls game is plagued with similar hitbox "problems" (shitty grab attacks or huge AoE hits). An unexplained stat like Agility just made things worse since most characters with base stats don't have a lot of i-frames during rolls.

Amn Nom

Learned
"Bandai Namco will announce Dark Souls 3 at E3, according to a VG247 report citing a source familiar with the matter." So its a rumor. With that said I'll be in day one because I'm one of those weird people who thought the second one was great, and even surpassed the original in a few areas.

Ivan

Arcane
I really wish they would use the Demon Soul's nexus system and offer us a select group of entirely unique but canonically linked areas. I liked the idea of entering the giants' dreams, now maybe they could extrapolate that idea into a grander space for a new game.

Machocruz

Arcane
DkS 2 is great. I mean just compare to every other console game that isn't a Souls game or Bloodborne. It's a fucking odyssey of Jap ARPG punishment. "Odyssey" is probably a real consolefag-ish thing to say, like calling a game an "experience," but whatever. It's like an ambitious sequel to a classic movie, where the scope is greater but it's not quite as sharp, as some would say of T2 or Matrix Reloaded (DkS2 is actually a good follow-up though).

And that was part of the problem: they doubled down on what they thought people enjoyed about the series, like getting raped, and did it in a thoughtless manner. What was considered hard-but-fair got turned into hard-but-fuck-you, here's this room full of cock knockers and statues spitting poison, with a couple of black phantoms and an invade sprinkled on top -and they're all aggro'd, bitch. Or something like that. Inelegant design, basically.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I wonder if it will use the BB engine and if the time period will be different. Honestly though.....Miyazaki can just take my monies. His games are what Castlevania should have become when switching to 3D. It seems they are running a bit low on enemy design, but that's an easy fix if they change a mechanic or 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom